Update, 2020/12/01
Please see announcement in Forum Stuff for details.

SECURITY ADVISORY!
Today, 2020/11/18, suspicions have been expressed that there has been a data breach.
At least some DisMembers' login data may have been compromised.
While the facts behind those suspicions have not yet been established, your Administerrerr is treating them as credible. He is looking into this. He will try and beef up security.
Even if you did so only recently:
Please change your password!
Please click here, or use the menu ( button) to navigate to the the User Control Panel, therein to the Profile Tab, and there click Edit Account Settings. You should get it from there on.
For a safe password that will resist brute-force attempts (which we have been subject to in the past), please use upper and lower case letters, AND numerals, AND symbols, and make it as long as you feel feasible. 16 characters seems to be recommended these days.
DO NOT use a password you also use elsewhere.
While your Administerrerr tries to keep this place safe. Get real. Security here is mostly by obscurity, that is, no one serious enough to crack us like a rotten egg is likely to even bother. But if one does, you don't want the safety of your email of facebook or whatever to depend on one mostly blind, mostly clueless autodidact who can't work at this more than a few hours at a time, if that much.

If you used a password here that you also used elsewhere, you must set a new password there, also!
A different password, this time. If someone did breach us, the first thing they are likely to do with your login credentials is to try them out elsewhere. Login credentials compromised here are compromised everywhere else, also. If you did reuse a password, but with a different email, your administerrerrerr strongly urges you NOT rely on that different email keeping you safe. This whole thing runs on a database. That means your half-blind administerrerrerr can operate a database. Do you honestly think identity thieves, and those who sell them passwords by the ten-thousands, won't?
If you get an error message about an invalid form, click here.
Show
Every form you can debauch is on a time limit. Even if you feel you've been reasonably quick, some browsers seem to think otherwise.
Recommendation: type your password in something like a text editor or word processor, highlight (making sure not to highlight any leading or trailing spaces), copy, then reload the account settings page, paste, paste, debauch, and be all quick about it. Like Dan said, back in the when. Be like the housefly, and see the events of the world unfold in liquid slowness, or something to that effect.
If you cannot reset a forgotten password, click here.
Show
The "I forgot my password" function has been buggy for a while, I apologize. I will look into that, also, over the next few days.
UPDATE: I have looked into this. I think it should work now, but I can't test it all with my admin accounts. Anyone who tries it, please do let me know whether it works or not.
You yourself, meanwhile, might look into your SPAM folder. I know, I know, but humor me, please.
Also, if you have been around for a bit, try and remember whether the email you entered there was also the email you registered with back in the when. I'm sure the email addresses associated to some user-accounts are still hotmail.
If none of that solves your confound, hit me through the contact form, or grab me via dm on the Facebooks, or if none of that works, speak up in the Midget Circus. I will look out for you there, but I can't guarantee nothing.

Regarding educated critique of the cineastic arts

Art, Music, Literature and other non-yogurty cultured things.
DerGolgo
Zaphod's Zeitgeist

Regarding educated critique of the cineastic arts

Post by DerGolgo » Mon Dec 21, 2020 1:28 pm

Being of the conviction that an lot of the DisMembers around here do not just enjoy movies, but enjoy good movies. And enjoy bad movies. And enjoy yapping about movies. And enjoy thinking about movies. And myself really having more time on my hands than is good for me, or for my ISP.
I thought I should recommend some youtube channels wherein which there is not just discussion of movies.
But exhaustive discussion of the important details about movies.

Like, what was the actor of the robot Box in Logan's Run doing when he didn't have to figure out how to walk as if the robot was on wheels?
Or what and how many video games were released based on the cartoon series "based" on the movie Beetlejuice?

The good Mister Oliver Harper herein provides exhaustively researched and detailed videos both describing all the aspects about the genesis, production, and cultural impact of movies ranging from respectable to what did I just watch?!
His back catalog is right here (clicky).

The former, meanwhile, comes from GoodBadFlicks (clicky).
They really do focus on the kind of fare I recall seeing either only at the video store, or at 2:30 AM on a Friday night/Saturday morning in the 90s, when the commercial broadcasters would unload the movies with very little general audience appeal that they had to buy packaged with the stuff for prime-time.
BEWARE
The videos on this channel are short, but information dense. In just 24 minutes, while I had considered myself slightly educated about Logan's Run before, I learned more about that movie and the story behind it etc. than I ever had known before.

Of course, none of that is nearly detailed enough, nor sufficiently concerned with what respectable critics would probably consider landmark movies. Is that even a thing? I needed some imagery/metaphor, and that's all that came to mind.
Which is why, I guess, there is Cinema Tyler (clicky).
His well, well researched series on the making of Apocalypse Now has blasted past the two hour mark, presented in 10 to 30 minute increments, some time ago. I count about 111 minutes on A Clockwork Orange, not to mention a profusion of videos about the work of one Stanley Kubrick, as well as related topics. Like this exploration of how private Pyle's final madness was composed by the actor.

If you're into shorter stuff, focusing on certain aspects of a movie, or a TV show, George Rockall-Schmidt (clicky) has recently adapted a new format. In his inimitable way, brought to you by Hip Tang - it's really not made from people anymore, he presents a certain look at a certain something, in just 2 to 3 minutes. His latest episode covers The Joy Of Painting, with all the friendly little trees and friendly little clouds.

Also less generalist, more focused on certain aspects of a movie, Lessons from the Screenplay(clicky) is usually very interesting, analyzing not just what we see in a film, but how the writing of the movie seeks and achieves certain effects, be they narrative, emotional, whatnot. Like how to set up some epic conflict.

If you prefer presentation that is fun, involves anthropomorphic coconuts, and you can tolerate the odd bit of thoughtless, gatekeeping bullshit (like his video on plotholes, which is bollocks), I don't think I even have to recommend Patrick (H) Willems (clicky).

I confess I subscribe to him mostly for the entertainment value, with the odd bit of interesting analysis of things I may or may not have seen.
Really, his video on plotholes is bollocks, though. This guy, who's work I confess I don't, provides an adequate counterpoint.

I just felt I should maybe share this stuff.
Really having an unreasonable amount of time on my hands, youtube is usually running in the background. As I would, I subscribe to 137 channels. Not all of which publish regularly, and yes, I do cull channels I don't really watch anymore.
If you're interested in something specific, feel free to hit me up for recommendations. My subscriptions range from stuff like this here to aerospace news, the history of the London underground station by station, to modern philosophy presented in interesting ways by solitary actors playing all the roles.

If there were absolutely anything to be afraid of, don't you think I would have worn pants?

I said I have a big stick.