Star Trek: it's for kids!

La geek forumo - Y fforwm geek - Otakufōramu.
DerGolgo
Zaphod's Zeitgeist

Star Trek: it's for kids!

Post by DerGolgo » Sat Oct 10, 2020 10:42 am

No, not kidding.
Nor am I trying to get a rise out of somebody.

None other than Nickelodeon have commissioned Star Trek: Prodigy

Premise: bunch of meddlin' kids find an abandoned Starfleet vessel and take it for a ride.
And will solve the mystery of the haunted amusement park holodeck I assume.

Kate Mulgrew has been confirmed to star. I assume she will be recurring, not regular.
Janeway is, by far, the single most "grownup" Starfleet captain of the previous Treks, imo.
Or that's how she came across to 15 year old me. Kirk, Picard, Sisko, you could have a laugh with those guys, even while fighting off the Borg... of fuck, I only just got it. Took me only 25 years. Seven of Nine. Borg. So, there is an entity, Borg Nine...
At least it's not Captain Archsupport. I mean, not to hate on Scott Bakula. You can only do so much acting when the paper the script is printed on is more dimensional than your character.

@Mk3, you mentioned you were concerned you couldn't let let your kid watch Star Trek on his lonesome, on account of the Kurse of Kurtzmann darKness.
Strange New Worlds is as yet an unknown quantity in that regard (pleasebeoptimisticpleasebeoptimisticpleasebeoptimistic), but Prodigy is a Nickelodeon joint, so I assume there won't be (much) murdering.

This here article on the return of captain J is the first I heard/read about the new show:
https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2020/10/ ... ndZzrZpGmw

If there were absolutely anything to be afraid of, don't you think I would have worn pants?

I said I have a big stick.

motorpsycho67
Double-dip Diogenes

Re: Star Trek: it's for kids!

Post by motorpsycho67 » Sun Oct 11, 2020 1:28 pm

No surprise.

Have you forgotten there was a Star Trek cartoon series in the 70s?
'75 Honda CB400F
'82 Kawalski GPz750
etc.

xtian
Le coureur de lames chasse Tinti...

Post by xtian » Mon Oct 12, 2020 9:03 pm

be prepared to see all your favourite licences ruined by kids show. I thought the latest ST movies were already using kids, weren't they 17 or something ? 12 years ago, I was working for this publisher, our character was a race driver, and some genius came out with this idea, hey, let's do what everybody else does, a kids reboot. what ? like ... race drivers kids ? hell yes ! soap boxes then ? yesss! fucking genius. 2 years later we were all out of a job.
I'm not really from around here.

DerGolgo
Zaphod's Zeitgeist

Post by DerGolgo » Mon Oct 12, 2020 11:38 pm

motorpsycho67 wrote:
Sun Oct 11, 2020 1:28 pm
No surprise.

Have you forgotten there was a Star Trek cartoon series in the 70s?
Nope. Not forgotten.
Have you looked at the new Star Trek animated show, Lower Decks, that just finished its first season?
I kinda like it. It's not for kids, though.
xtian wrote:
Mon Oct 12, 2020 9:03 pm
be prepared to see all your favourite licences ruined by kids show.
Well, they are also producing more Disco, more Picard, three seasons of Strange New Worlds are in the works, and more Lower Decks.
I have the impression that, rather than having one show that must speak to everyone. Must have characters for kids to identify with, and characters for the adults, must have serious episodes and funny episodes and dark episodes and optimistic episodes, must appeal to old fans and must be easy enough for new viewers to get into, all in one show.
TNG and DS9 kinda did it, though DS9 became very grown up very quickly. Berman tried to squeeze it all into Voyager, and while some brilliant stuff came from that (The Doctor and Seven of Nine, specifically), the rest of the show was at best meh.

So they seem to be distributing the load.
If one of them fails, the others exist as separate entities. If you don't like one, go watch another. CBS can decide that one of them isn't profitable enough, and axe it, without touching the others. I think this is a pretty good solution.
Quite besides the fact that there will be FIVE Star Trek shows running at the same time. With shorter seasons, perhaps not on the air at exactly the same time, but will be active shows.

As many flaws as I've found with Disco, or with Picard, so far, they all are at least a joy to watch. Not a chore, like most of Voyager, or pretty much all of Enterprise. So one more Star Trek show that can cater to another target audience, and hence keeping that out of the main event? Me likey!
If there were absolutely anything to be afraid of, don't you think I would have worn pants?

motorpsycho67
Double-dip Diogenes

Post by motorpsycho67 » Wed Oct 14, 2020 1:03 am

DerGolgo wrote:
Mon Oct 12, 2020 11:38 pm

Have you looked at the new Star Trek animated show, Lower Decks, that just finished its first season?

No

I'm not really much of a Star Trek fan. I like the original series, but that's about it.
'75 Honda CB400F
'82 Kawalski GPz750
etc.

DerGolgo
Zaphod's Zeitgeist

Post by DerGolgo » Fri Oct 16, 2020 11:28 am

motorpsycho67 wrote:
Wed Oct 14, 2020 1:03 am
I'm not really much of a Star Trek fan. I like the original series, but that's about it.
Huh. Okay.
Lower Decks is really full of references to TNG and later Trek, so it probably isn't for you.
If ever you do wanna have a look at newer Trek, I'd recommend starting with Deep Space Nine, the best of the Berman-Trek. If you wanna get into TNG, maybe don't start with the first season thereof. Maybe start with season 4, and squeeze in earlier season episodes featuring Q, so you'll know what's going on.

motorpsycho67
Double-dip Diogenes

Post by motorpsycho67 » Fri Oct 16, 2020 5:17 pm

DerGolgo wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 11:28 am
motorpsycho67 wrote:
Wed Oct 14, 2020 1:03 am
Huh. Okay.
Lower Decks is really full of references to TNG and later Trek, so it probably isn't for you.
If ever you do wanna have a look at newer Trek, I'd recommend starting with Deep Space Nine, the best of the Berman-Trek. If you wanna get into TNG, maybe don't start with the first season thereof. Maybe start with season 4, and squeeze in earlier season episodes featuring Q, so you'll know what's going on.

Seen enough to know it's not my cuppa. Thanks though.
'75 Honda CB400F
'82 Kawalski GPz750
etc.