SECURITY ADVISORY!
On 2020/11/18, suspicions were expressed that there had been a data breach.
At least some DisMembers' login data may have been compromised.

As of April 14, 2021, no further breach or news thereof has become apparent. This message just looks different because anyone who was gonna read the whole thing presumably did by now.

Please see announcement in Forum Stuff for details, and for how to change your password.
Click Here

THE DOCTOR IS IN THE HOUSE!!!!!!!!!!!!! (best DW news since revival!)

La geek forumo - Y fforwm geek - Otakufōramu.
DerGolgo
Zaphod's Zeitgeist

THE DOCTOR IS IN THE HOUSE!!!!!!!!!!!!! (best DW news since revival!)

Post by DerGolgo » Fri Sep 24, 2021 12:07 pm

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/russ ... -87337xt7d
in THE FUCKING TIMES OF FUCKING LONDON, Jake Kanter wrote:Russell T Davies returns to run Doctor Who for 60th anniversary
...In news that has prompted joy among Whovians, Davies will replace Chris Chibnall as the series showrunner in 2023 and will ultimately be the man who casts the new Time Lord.
WWWWWHHHHHHHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Chris Chibnall was not "a whovian". He was "THE WHOVIAN". When he was a teenager, he would appear on talk shows to discuss the old series, when it was about to meet its end.
And since, he worked his way up and up, all the way through the BBC, and achieved the dream - showrunner for Doctor Who.

They say you should never meet your heroes. Most people would be disappointed when they meet their heroes.
Chibnall, meanwhile, rather than being disappointed, made his hero disappointing.
I stopped following the show when the doctor and her criminally underused, temporary historic women companions (Ada Byron and Noor Inayat Khan, who got to do something cool for their intro and after that were just generic companions) would travel back in time and set up the airplane that The Master had made crash in an effort to kill the Doctor, made sure would have parachutes and stuff, so they would get out alive.

Literally travel back in time and set it up so it'll work out. What Rowan Atkinson's non-canonical Doctor did in "The Curse of Fatal Death", which was created as a spoof, a send-up, a funny. And the antithesis to the show's premise. That you can't use time-travel to fix all of your problems. Or most of them.
That's where Chris Chibnall took his hero. :(

That's when I stopped following the show.
Jodie Whitaker did an okay Doctor, on the rare occasions that she got anything to work with.

I did watch last year's Christmas special.
I couldn't make up my mind what was worse. The plot, or that Chibnall seemed to have decided making a good episode was by assembling it out of things that were cool in other episodes - and little else. And he didn't even limit himself to cribbing off of previous DW iterations. He yanked some of his own ideas, and made like it was new and surprising to people on the show...

And who comes back now? Who replaces the Überfan who fucked it up so bad, the show's renewal for a new season was put in series jeopardy? Who has the thankless job of making it alright?

The same man who had had the thankless job of reviving a show that had been "on hiatus" for 16 years, and that required making a lot of stuff happen that would look plenty expensive, but fit in a non-plentiful budget.
And he did it. Brilliantly. He didn't just revive an ancient show, he kicked off a whole franchise, with three live-action spinoffs and a few animated specials, too! A franchise that became a worldwide sensation, as it were.
AND HE'S BACK!

This is a good approximation of my reaction:

If there were absolutely anything to be afraid of, don't you think I would have worn pants?

I said I have a big stick.

DerGolgo
Zaphod's Zeitgeist

Re: THE DOCTOR IS IN THE HOUE!!!!!!!!!!!!! (best DW news since revival!)

Post by DerGolgo » Fri Sep 24, 2021 3:45 pm

And I just realized something.
The show's hiatus. 1989-2005. 16 years.

At this point, the show has been back as long as, or perhaps already longer, than it had been on hiatus.
If there were absolutely anything to be afraid of, don't you think I would have worn pants?

Bigshankhank
Fully Autonomous Cock-Puncher

Re: THE DOCTOR IS IN THE HOUSE!!!!!!!!!!!!! (best DW news since revival!)

Post by Bigshankhank » Fri Oct 01, 2021 3:21 pm

My wife will be happy to hear this, she has been underwhelmed by Whittaker.
Also, not to take anything away from Mr Davies, but Christopher Ecclestone's alluringly deep Scottish brogue did a lot of the heavy lifting to bring the Doctor back into the mainstream.
It's time for Humankind to ditch the imaginary friends of our species' childhood and grow the fuck up.
-Davros

"Lasse mich deine Seele dem Herrscher der Finsternis opfern"

Let me sacrifice your soul to the ruler of darkness

Always carry a bottle of whiskey when you travel in case of a snakebite. Futhermore, always carry a small snake.

DerGolgo
Zaphod's Zeitgeist

Post by DerGolgo » Sun Oct 03, 2021 1:12 am

Bigshankhank wrote:
Fri Oct 01, 2021 3:21 pm
Christopher Ecclestone's alluringly deep Scottish brogue
Had me confused there for a moment.
When did Ecclestone speak with a Scottish accent?! I asked no one in particular.
I'm hardly an expert on British accents, but I recognize a Scot when I hear one (most of the usually). Something you pick up when you spend every childhood vacation in bonny Linlithgow, West Lothian (birthplace of Mary, Queen of Scots, as it were).

Ecclestone is from Lancashire, and to quote the show:

Lancashire is a Cumbria away from Scotland.
Maybe you were thinking of Capaldi?

Note how he enunciates "good". The double-o is a dead giveaway for a Scot, in my experience.

DerGolgo
Zaphod's Zeitgeist

Post by DerGolgo » Sun Oct 03, 2021 10:18 am

A lot of people are concerned that Davies won't bring anything new, will only rehash what he did before.

I got me a hankering and decided to have a look at what he might rehash. And someone resembling Walter Koenig in name only has drawn a different pistol in either hand!
Just in the 2nd episode, the one where the sun explodes and the anthropomorphic trampoline is trying to scam the insurance.
RTD placed a few things, right on the stage. Words like apple being a term that's describing a really big number. Or The Doctor, after the tree lady is immolated, and he's stuck on the catwalk, between those giant spinning fans. He closes his eyes, all zen-like, and makes like it's slowing down time, and steps through the moving fan.
That episode was written by RTD himself - but I cannot, for the instant replay of me, recall either gun being fired in a later episode. Not even pointed menacingly. *sadface*
So, if RTD finally pulls the triggers on those shooters? Can't say I'd mind!

And all things considered, think about it. He has to regain the audience that Chibnall has driven off. For what was one of the BBC's BIG international moneymakers.
And it's not like he's been unemployed recently - he did a bunch of shows that garnered massive critical acclaim, and big audiences.
With his record, a pretty decent career before the Doctor, and after. Someone who, quite probably, only has to pick up the phone to get a pretty decent writing gig for Netflix or Disney Plus. How do you get someone like that to return to something he did over a decade ago?
Creative Control and a BUG BIDGET is all I can think off (besides an absurd paycheck, obviously).
So... the more I think about it, the more I'm looking forward to the next Doctor!
Also, one old episode held a surprise. Like, bad surprise (the woke bit).
Show
I had the impression that Rose was a thoroughly modern woman.
And yet, in the episode where they return a year late and find out Rose had become a missing person. After the encounter with Jackie, when the Doctor whines about getting slapped and his face hurting, Rose quips "You're so gay".
It's just a passing utterance, not remarked upon further.
Still. 2005. Both manifestations of Queer As Folk had aired already, the US version was on its final season. So using that word to mock someone is not what I expected from a character like Rose.
I'm not sure I noticed it at the time. I think I do recall bitching about it before, probably around here.

Upon further consideration, though, I have concluded that it's some kind of characterization I didn't get.
Also, the alien plan makes no sense. Seriously (the geeky bit)
Show
They could just grab raw fissile material, or the 290,000 tons of high-grade nuclear waste already sitting about in storage containers. Much higher density of radioactive material than the fallout. And the nations of Earth would pay them to get it off of our hands.
And I am dead certain I've bitched about this before, too. Around here, I'm sure.
Also, one of the frankly greatest bits of dialog. Ever.
I don't know where I got this clip, so I don't wanna put it on youtube. But your browser should play it (mine does, and mine is weird).
https://www.utmc-forum.org/Never.mp4