SECURITY ADVISORY!
On 2020/11/18, suspicions were expressed that there had been a data breach.
At least some DisMembers' login data may have been compromised.

As of April 14, 2021, no further breach or news thereof has become apparent. This message just looks different because anyone who was gonna read the whole thing presumably did by now.

Please see announcement in Forum Stuff for details, and for how to change your password.
Click Here

The sci-fi movie thread that already exists.

La geek forumo - Y fforwm geek - Otakufōramu.
jae
Magnum Jihad

Re: The sci-fi movie thread that already exists.

Post by jae » Wed May 23, 2018 4:32 am

perhaps...
DerGolgo wrote: It's infuriating that some people can look at people of different ethnicity and see less than a person.
...and I agree completely.

There, I said it.
http://instagram.com/norrisjc
http://youtube.com/kacivic

Dying old and healthy from boredom is not an achievement.

Bo_9
Ayatollah of Mayhem
Location: Filthy little worn-out, broken down, see through soul.

Post by Bo_9 » Wed May 30, 2018 3:31 pm

So there is this little spin off movie thats been out for a while. Is it bad that as a rabid fan of the original IV-VI I can't seem to care if I see this movie or not?
When an old man dies a library burns...

"Every accident involving machinery begins with a single defect. Never forget that defect can be between your ears." - E.J. Potter
"I feel like i'm in "my little pony" HELL!!!!" -Goose
"Well, he never ever smiled, but he always seemed pleased."
"Just one bad day..."

jae
Magnum Jihad

Post by jae » Thu May 31, 2018 5:27 am

personally, I'm going through a bit of over-saturation with that particular universe at the moment. I'd be happy to revisit it in a few years.

Kinda the same with the Marvel stuff though. I've enjoyed the comic book movies since high school (late -90's or so when the first Spiderman came out), but at this stage of life I rarely make it out to theaters to see movies. Now they're stacking them up making it feel like I need to see every one before I can see the next, and I realize I'm at least 3 movies behind. Guess I'll just wait until they're all out on *easily consumable media* before I bother.
There, I said it.

DerGolgo
Zaphod's Zeitgeist

Post by DerGolgo » Thu May 31, 2018 10:49 am

jae wrote: Now they're stacking them up making it feel like I need to see every one before I can see the next, and I realize I'm at least 3 movies behind. Guess I'll just wait until they're all out on *easily consumable media* before I bother.
I believe that is their "master plan", if you will.
Make every movie a prequel to the next, so that people won't dare miss any. DC tried the same, with Supes and Bats v Supes (seriously ... how could they fuck THAT one up?!). But DC weak, and Marvel strong. Because Marvel belongs to Disney, and if anyone knows how to milk every penny out of intellectual property while also keeping future options open, it's Disney, innit.
For me, most of the Marvel movies in recent years have been ... meh-tastic. At best. Age of Ultron? Good grief. Thor: Ragnarok?
The last good Marvel movie that comes to mind is Ant Man, the >only< good DC movie since Superman Returns was Wonder Woman. Though they fucked up the ending of the latter. Just another "big evil villain who's big and evil because he's big and evil, in the dark, with flames". Seen way too much of those.

I fear that what had once been grandiose, rare, and geek-gastic, the comic book movie, has become a tired mass-market commodity.
They must attract such large crowds, they have to feed the mass market. And a lot of the escapism is lost, as it a lot of the interesting brain twisters and what have you.
Marvel could have made good if, in the latest Spider Man movie. Instead of "an kid with spider powers gets a suit from Tony Stark", they'd have brought back Toby Maguire. Retired superhero, teacher, and father of a young boy who is starting to develop his superpowers. That would have been just enormous.
But they didn't. They rebooted instead, striking two great movies from the Marvel canon (striking the third Maguire outing from the canon I wouldn't mind, not at all). Meh.

It's not just those two, DC and Marvel.
Any comic book movie these days. Valerian. I had been waiting for a cinematic adaptation of that for approximately thirty. Fucking. Years. It was my introduction to sci-fi, when I was at least ten years too young to be exposed to a lot of the stuff in the comic books. When I heard Luc Besson would do it. The man who had made The Fifth Element and had later complained that he hadn't been able to do nice effects like he'd wanted. I was cackling with delight.
I am half blind, there is literally no point in going to a movie theater for me. I'd just get out dizzy, with a sore neck, and still I'd have seen only half the movie. So I had to wait for the Blue Ray. Literally the first Blue Ray I've ever bought. I even pre-ordered the sucker.
There was a bunch of great stuff in there, too. The whole market bit at the beginning, loved it.
The rest.
Mass-market appeal, written on an organ-grinder, by as much appeal as it had. I could live with deviation from the comic book. I could even live with quite simply the worst zero-g I've seen on screen in years (in the opening sequence). But ignoring some of the best beats from the comic, and producing a story that makes pretty much zero sense.
Just so that he can string together a bunch of fancy 3D effects.
Monsieur Besson is now on my shitlist. WAY up on my shitlist.
He had managed to make an entertaining movie out of Lucy, which is seriously one of the worst premises, worst writing, and worst fight-sequences I can even recall off of the top of my head ... and yet it was fun to watch! And Valerian? Nope.
REEEEAAALLLYYY way, way up on my shitlist.

I think comic book movies need a boot up their ass at this point. Kevin Smith should maybe do one, and I'd know just which one. He genuinely loves the medium, anything he could do with the material would come from the heart, he doesn't want to be repetitive in his filmmaking (hence isn't making much anymore ... besides producing a bunch of stinkers and sinkers ...). And he'd be perfect for Nextwave: Agents of H.A.T.E.. If you don't know it: imagine Deadpool, but with a superhero team, half of whom are badass women, and at least as effed up as the Deadpool comics.
Or Tarantino. When he's done with his Star Trek (wheeeee!!!!!), he MUST do a comic book movie! Maybe he should reboot Superman and try to make something worth watching out of it.

There is TONS of great material in comics they could put on the big screen. Even if they shit on the source material, they can make a brilliant film! I particularly have V for Vendetta, because the central message of the comics is kicked overboard for pretty much the opposite moral lessen ... but they made a fucking. Great. Movie.
I haven't paid attention to comic books in about a decade. But even when I still did, there was tons of stuff, besides Nextwave, that is untapped.
Transmetropolitan should be an epic Netflix series. But pretty much anything else, could make ossum movies! If anyone wants to fuck over Alan Morre once more, why aren't they making a Tom Strong movie?! Where is the cute movie about the cuddly, cuddly, lethal cyborg animals We3?
Or the stuff I hear they're doing these days.
Iron Man is a young, black girl. So long as Tony Stark is in the background somewhere, that could even fit in with the modern Iron Man movie canon!
And Captain America is the head of fucking Hydra! That I'm almost tempted to try reading, because that is the fuckest. Uppest. Idea. Ever.

But it's fucking Disney. There's a reason Disneyification isn't an accolade most places are looking for.
Feck. Comic book movies. May just be. Just. "Product", from the sausage machine.

Rant Over.

P.S.: No, I mean it, Superman Returns was a great DC movie. A captacular Superman movie, absolutely. But do what I do.
Start the movie, and any time before the third act that the clown in blue comes on screen, fast forward to the next scene. Instead of a shitty superhero movie, enjoy a wacky caper-movie about criminal mastermind Lex Luthor and his remarkably inept crew as they try to make the big time! Hilarious!
If there were absolutely anything to be afraid of, don't you think I would have worn pants?

I said I have a big stick.

DerGolgo
Zaphod's Zeitgeist

Post by DerGolgo » Thu Sep 20, 2018 3:12 am

Movie recommendation: Upgrade

This is one where I absolutely recommend NOT watching the trailer. I haven't myself, not before, nor after. I just know that, going in totally unprepared enhanced the movie tremendously. Not just not knowing what's gonna come next, but having no idea where it's going, what great set piece was yet to come. Wonderful experience.
If you trust my opinion: STOP READING!
Just read the Warning at the bottom, and go be impressed as was I. It's worth it.

What it’s about: Transhumanism, the AI future, the scary shit of it all.
Spoiler
Show
It’s the future. Where, if someone can’t hack your self-driving car to kill you, they can just spit microscopic killer robots up your nose. Also, quadriplegics can live almost autonomously, thanks to speech controlled household robots.
Or they can learn to walk again with the aid of AI.
And there, the scary shit begins.
This is all I shall spoil.
It’s probably the scariest way I've yet seen to look at the confluence of transhumanism, where people enhance themselves with implants, with AI, where computers become smarter than us.
Yes, there is something scarier than Matt Smith as Skynet.

Also, it finally shows us the actual cloud that the tech sector keeps promising us.

WARNING:
Children, people with schizophrenic tendencies, and people who get scared by news like "How Tinder will kill your dog!" or "Can google read your mind when you're on the toilet? Should they?" really shouldn't watch this. There be shit in here what may giveth thee, or hardy soul, nightmares. While people of a less sterling constitution, or of lesser cynicism, may be afraid to go to sleep at all. Watch at your own risk.
Also: Violence as graphic as a Roy Lichtenstein exhibition in the sixties, when his work was innovative and controversial. Yeah, that level of graphic violence. "Drag out once famous yet getting forgotten, dead visual artist, specifically his period of his signature work and initial public exposure to illustrate just how" graphic violence.
If there were absolutely anything to be afraid of, don't you think I would have worn pants?

Bo_9
Ayatollah of Mayhem

Post by Bo_9 » Fri Jan 04, 2019 6:15 pm

Netflix original "2036 Origin Unknown" watched it because Katie Sackoff. Not bad but be ready for hard sci-fi, none of that low brow action or gore stuff, straight up high concept "My doG what have they done" long game stuff. I enjoyed it but only because I like it's kind of high concept stuff.

"Every accident involving machinery begins with a single defect. Never forget that defect can be between your ears." - E.J. Potter
"Just one bad day..."

DerGolgo
Zaphod's Zeitgeist

Post by DerGolgo » Sun Jan 06, 2019 12:02 am

Bo_9 wrote:Netflix original "2036 Origin Unknown"
FUCK U NETFLIX!!
Why do you fucking geo-restrict your fucking ORIGINALS?!?!
Can't you get the rights for Europe?!

jae
Magnum Jihad

Post by jae » Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:52 am

I'll have to check that out. Just clicked through "Black Mirror - Bandersnatch" last night. Interesting concept, execution... well, I'm disappointed that I spent as much time on it as I did. It was interesting how they did some of the ripple-effects for some of the choices you can make, but I do kind of wish I'd just been happy with choices I made the first time through and left it at that rather than playing through it multiple times just to see if "cereal choice" actually made a difference.
There, I said it.

Bo_9
Ayatollah of Mayhem

Post by Bo_9 » Sat May 18, 2019 5:51 am

So, not movies but the Netflix Love,Death and Robots shorts are almost all fantastic.
My kids loved Three Robots, not much else safe for them to watch in the series.
I didn't like the style of a couple but they were all engaging.

"Just one bad day..."

DerGolgo
Zaphod's Zeitgeist

Post by DerGolgo » Sat May 18, 2019 7:34 am

You know, that's odd. I keep hearing people praise this show.
Yet when I watched it, I quite often found it a bit predictable. Not gonna use the d-word, but it's... it's a lot of d-rivative.
Spoiler
Show
I did like the one with the astronaut who amputated her own limbs for reaction mass to get back to her ship.
Now, that was original and fucked up.
The rest of the series.
Meh.

Bigshankhank
Fully Autonomous Cock-Puncher

Post by Bigshankhank » Mon Dec 02, 2019 3:54 pm

For no good reason, I have willingly chosen to watch Buckaroo Banzai tonight.
It's time for Humankind to ditch the imaginary friends of our species' childhood and grow the fuck up.
-Davros

"Lasse mich deine Seele dem Herrscher der Finsternis opfern"

Let me sacrifice your soul to the ruler of darkness

Always carry a bottle of whiskey when you travel in case of a snakebite. Futhermore, always carry a small snake.

DerGolgo
Zaphod's Zeitgeist

Post by DerGolgo » Tue Dec 03, 2019 1:41 am

Bigshankhank wrote:For no good reason, I have willingly chosen to watch Buckaroo Banzai tonight.
Surely not your first?

Bigshankhank

Post by Bigshankhank » Tue Dec 03, 2019 6:58 am

DerGolgo wrote:
Bigshankhank wrote:For no good reason, I have willingly chosen to watch Buckaroo Banzai tonight.
Surely not your first?
Indeed it was.
It's time for Humankind to ditch the imaginary friends of our species' childhood and grow the fuck up.
-Davros

Always carry a bottle of whiskey when you travel in case of a snakebite. Futhermore, always carry a small snake.

Jaeger
Baron von Scrapple

Post by Jaeger » Tue Dec 03, 2019 11:11 am

Bigshankhank wrote:
DerGolgo wrote:
Surely not your first?
Indeed it was.
Good gawds. There's one I haven't seen in a gazillion years... and with good reason. :shock:

--Jaeger
Bigshankhank wrote:The world is a fucking wreck, but there is still sunshine in some places. Go outside and look for it.
<<NEUTIQUAM ERRO>>
2018 Indian Scout -- "Lilah"

Bigshankhank

Post by Bigshankhank » Tue Dec 03, 2019 4:53 pm

Well tonight I am watching Robocop, so I am balancing out the Peter Weller-verse.
-Davros

Jaeger
Baron von Scrapple

Post by Jaeger » Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:26 am

Bigshankhank wrote:Well tonight I am watching Robocop, so I am balancing out the Peter Weller-verse.
Oh, com'on, you can do better than that...

https://youtu.be/rDLlMlKUsyI

"Say, Bill, do you think you could rub some of this powder on my lips?"

--Jaeger
Bigshankhank wrote:The world is a fucking wreck, but there is still sunshine in some places. Go outside and look for it.
<<NEUTIQUAM ERRO>>

DerGolgo
Zaphod's Zeitgeist

Post by DerGolgo » Fri Dec 06, 2019 1:05 pm

So I've finally watched Joker.

I know, it's not technically, nor actually, sci-fi. But I thought this was as good a place as any.

What did I conclude.
Spoiler
Show
From the beginning to the protagonist's first cathartic moment, that was long. Wow that was long.
Deep character studies aren't exactly something I have so far seen in the modern superhero movie. Or if I have, it certainly wasn't like this.
Considering the sheer garbage that is all DC has yet managed to put out (note: haven't yet seen Aquaman, and Wonder Woman was brilliant, of course), it makes a surprising amount of sense that they'd try to go 90° from the rest of the genre.

Something that stood out: the gun. The little .38 revolver that was so pivotal to Arthur's character arc. Did that look like a six shooter, or more like a fiver?
Because it was neither. Nor was it a .38.
Yes, I fucking counted the shots in the subway scene and, somehow, he fit no less than seven bullets in there without reloading. A Nagant M1895 would handle that, but that's a .30 caliber. And looks quite different, also.

SOOO, the Joker himself. Starting out as a sort-a-vigilante, I had not expected that. It makes some kind of sense to give him a relatable reason for his violence there. From his perspective, the whole world is shitting on him, and then he finally stands up and fights back.
Not so sure it makes for a good Joker, though. Relatable motivations. The character had ever been a fucking lunatic. Extra dangerous because he's unpredictable. Obviously, the audience should be able to relate to the protagonist, or a whole lot of storytelling doesn't really work.
They did manage to sever that link, in tempo with the plot, so it worked a little better than I had expected. The Joker that comes out at the end is definitely a villain.

At first, I did expect the unreliable narrator, and I got it. Then more stuff happened, and I'm like "he's not really unreliable narrator at all". But then he was, after all...

Also. What kind of Batman can they send after this?
Seriously. That was some effed up, deep, troubling shit. Whatever Bat comes after the Joker here, that's gonna be some bat.
Now, the movie is set in 1981-ish. The movie theater the Waynes come out of before the tragic event was playing "Zorro, the gay blade". I doubt they would go to see a movie that's already a few years old, and the entire ambience does fit, don't it.

So, when is that monster Bat gonna come? I don't mean "when will they release the movie", or start production for that matter.
But when will it be set?
Bruce, here, looks about what, 11, 12 years old?
Are we gonna see 1990s Batman, him in his prime, in his 20s? 2000s Batman, in his 30s? Or 2010s Bat, over the hill just a bit, getting too old for this shit, etc., etc.?
Or are we gonna get grizzled old, contemporary Batman, late 2010s, early 2020s. Maybe we're gonna see him trying to hand over to Robin, but before he can, he must get the one guy he had been chasing all this time, the man he blames for the murder of his parents, Joker?
Quite fucked up.
Quite character driven, unlike most superhero movies. "Deep psychogram" sounds pretentious, but I think that's the appropriate term. Not the kind of movie I usually watch.

Bigshankhank

Post by Bigshankhank » Fri Oct 29, 2021 3:48 pm

So there is an obscure sci-fi novel about a desert planet called Dune that involves, well quite a lot. It had a unique film adaptation back in the early 80's and several additional novels fleshing ut the world in which the story is told. All of mixed quality. Regardless, there was a recent film released that was a 2nd attempt at an adaptation and I have to say that in addition to being far superior to the 1st one, it is a fairly well done adaptation of the source novel. I recommend it.
Fear is the Mind-Killer.
-Davros

DerGolgo
Zaphod's Zeitgeist

Post by DerGolgo » Sat Oct 30, 2021 3:49 am

Bigshankhank wrote:
Fri Oct 29, 2021 3:48 pm
So there is an obscure sci-fi novel about a desert planet called Dune
Desert planet called Dune?
Show
I believe you will find the planet's name is Arrakis! :mrgreen:

You know where you are posting this. You know I had to. Set punctuation free! :P

Pintgudge
The Big Oooola

Post by Pintgudge » Sat Oct 30, 2021 7:13 am

Frank Herbert lived in Browns Point, Northeast Tacoma with a good view across Commencement bay from the copper smelter which spewed arsenic from its smokestack. You could see shipping with many ships at anchor and lots of lumber mills with their cone shaped scrap burners with huge smoke plumes day and night. The Dune Penninsula was formed by dumping the slag from the copper smelter into the water over many decades. The distopian views of unchecked pollution gave him the idea to write about Arrakis, the planet that used to be a paradise, turned into a dessert by greed and corruption.
This is where I live.
https://www.metroparkstacoma.org/place/dune-peninsula/
If man is fit to be governed, is any man fit to govern?

These are the days of miracles and wonder!

'81 Goldwing Standard w/'61 Ural Sidecar

'06 Bajaj Chetak

motorpsycho67
Double-dip Diogenes

Post by motorpsycho67 » Sat Oct 30, 2021 9:22 pm

Pintgudge wrote:
Sat Oct 30, 2021 7:13 am
..... turned into a dessert by greed and corruption....

Ooooooh!

I love dessert!
'75 Honda CB400F
'82 Kawalski GPz750
etc.

Pintgudge
The Big Oooola

Post by Pintgudge » Sun Oct 31, 2021 7:31 am

Oops,
Well, there is a large mountain in the background that looks like a huge dish of ice cream with toppings which has been threatening to destroy us all for several centuries.
If man is fit to be governed, is any man fit to govern?

These are the days of miracles and wonder!

'81 Goldwing Standard w/'61 Ural Sidecar

'06 Bajaj Chetak

DerGolgo
Zaphod's Zeitgeist

Post by DerGolgo » Sun Oct 31, 2021 4:54 pm

I stumbled upon this old thing and thought I might throw up a bit of a few words about "New Trek". On account of the second season of Lower Decks recently concluding. In a way I hadn't expected.
Yes it's not a movie. Nor a series of movies. But a series of episodes. And you know what?
I'm just gonna put this here because I'm mad, dangerous, I'm a renegade, ha!
I will try to limit spoilage.

To start of with, Lower Decks:

Premise: You've seen the TNG episode "Lower Decks"?
That was where the idea came from.
And then the writers remembered all the jokes about plotholes filled with plotholes trekkies share after adequate libation. They remembered all the jokes. And DANG if they didn't put them in. Nope, no dang, they did! All the jokes!
Spoiler
Show
The show is not just incidental fan-service, but intentional fan-service. All of it. Well, almost. 99.9% fan-service.
You're a fan? You'll be serviced!
Any joke you ever shared about a silly plot contrivance in a Trek show or movie? "Imagine if they... ha, they would totally...". They hang a lamp on all those little plot holes filled with other plot holes, any silly contrivance, and milk them for what they're worth.

But it is not just a caricature. It is not mean, it does not belittle or diminish "regular" Trek. It satirizes, it admits to the silliness. It knows what it is, and it doesn't take it, nor other Trek, too seriously.
The protagonists are not just caricatures of Trek archetypes. They did the legwork and came up with characters who grow and develop, and about whom I give a fuck. Something most shows don't manage. Not even many manage it. Lower Decks does.
If you have never seen a bit of Star Trek, but you are open to sci-fi, you will laugh and probably like it.

If you are a Trekkie, you will either hate this show, for explaining all the questions you had but in a way you don't like.

Or you're gonna make like me and just mainline this shit.
More premise
Show
The USS Ceritos is a California Class. Basically an starfleet ship. Dogsbody of the fleet. Not a vessel where it is assumed a captain gaining promotion to something fancier would want to take her command crew along with her. They deal with the backwater stuff. Not a freighter, but (almost) never anything glamorous.

The protagonists are junior ensigns, they are the dogsbodies of the Ceritos. They are actually the people who stack those crates that are never secured. Any kind of boring, tedious, often gross, legwork.
I like that they do this as junior ensigns. I think it's very Starfleet. Jobs one might otherwise expect should be for enlisted crew instead get done by commissioned officers. Walk the walk before getting any authority about anything.
If you're unsure, or you don't like the first episodes or so, I recommend watching the last episode (as it presently stands). S2E10.
It's not just a great episode of Lower Decks, it is a great episode of Star Trek. Starfleet at its finest. Fantastic!

Content warning: This is a show for people who grew up with Bermantrek - people who now are grown ass adults. People who can handle a show where other grown-ass adults with a sex-positive attitude make dirty jokes, get drunk, get high, or sometimes get raunchy. No naughty bits on display - but none needed to get the raunch across in a few episodes.

----------------------------------------------------

Star Trek: Discovery

This has been discussed to death and beyond.
The show isn't perfect. But most of the criticism is bs.
Main critiques regarding Season 1
Show
"No Starfleet officer would ever torture an innocent animal to drive a starship!"
None except the crew of the USS Equinox. Who literally captured sentient aliens, murdered them, and turned them into fuel.

"No evil man like Lorca could ever command a starship!"
Lorca of s1 wasn't. Lorca. Not main-universe Lorca. He was Goatee-Verse Lorca.
Starfleet officers replaced by evil aliens (he's from a parallel universe, so no matter how biologically human, he's alien), that has precedent. It happened at least once on TNG, when evil scheming aliens assumed the appearance of Starfleet's highest admirals, to take over the whole show.
After Season 1 came Season 2, with Anson Mount just bringing it as Captain Pike.
The time-travel plot was a bit convoluted. But that just indicates it was about time-travel.
I was unhappy with how some really good opportunities were wasted, and characterization that should have happened over several episodes was squeezed into the first act of just one episode. But the show was getting there.

Season 3, now.
It has grown the beard.
That is all.
Go watch it.

Content warning: A lot of Discovery is Battlestar Enterprise. Except that it's better written than BSG. Way better. No graphic sexual stuff going on, but a good deal of violence, and grown as adults being cruel, callous, petty, and explicitly mean when they violence other people.
So probably not for elementary-school kids.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Star Trek: Picard

Let's not mince words. Patrick Stewart can do SO damn much, with so damn little. Just a tiny move of his head, a minute glance here, an inflection there. And he makes it work.
So when he does go big, oh damn does that work.

There are one or two moments in the first 8 episodes where I wasn't all too happy with him, where the director presumably nagged him int doing some stupid little speech one way rather than another.
But those pale in comparison to the rest of the show.
This show is full of great stuff
Show
It's the future of the future. The world has moved on since TNG. Moved on AN WAYS.
And for 8 episodes, DAMN was it great to see.
The writers came up with a bunch of great ideas, showing us not the gleaming shining flagship of Starfleet, but more the seedy underbelly of the Federation and its neighbors.
And rather than the gleaming pinnacle of progress, we see the Federation getting its hands dirty. Creating presumably sentient AIs, androids, but making them dumb by design, serving as laborers who never complain... until they kinda do....

We meet a cross-dressing Samurai, a man who has filled his spaceship with holographic copies of himself, a drug addicted fixer lady constantly sucking on her little vape (ha!), a cyberneticist who is not above cruelly murdering people she loves for the good of the galaxy, and Seven of Nine being the meanest, fiercest Seven of Nine yet. And wearing clothes that don't look like she's getting strangulated, like by the outfit she was made to wear on VOY.

We meet Romulans, OH so many Romulans, and so many Romulan intelligence operations and conspiracies within conspiracies and sliding on the ice.

People in this show vape, drink, do drugs, have sex, fall in love in non-traditional pairings (particularly in the last shot of the season finale).

We even get to meet Will Ricker and Mrs. Ricker, the (ex-)counselor Troy, and their curiously multi-lingual kid.
Some of the plot was patched with creaky contrivances in places, but the first 8 episodes are brilliant fun, great Star Trek, I love it.

Why do I keep going on about the first 8 episodes?
Because the season-finale two-parter feels like someone accidentally used the script as toilet paper and then, rather than printing it out again, had the cast and crew decipher the bits that had rubbed off on his butthole.

I'm not kidding. The writing quality takes a nose dive so hard, it came out inside the hollow earth and set up a seafood restaurant with the widow of a drip-coffee accessories magnate.

I'm really worried they will take some of the stuff from the last two episodes into season 2. DAMN I hope not. I really, really hope they don't.

Content warning:
We see grown ass adults climb out of bed after a night of passion, I believe the odd brothel is mentioned, and the whole show is a bit on the violent side. Shooting guns, slicing people with swords or killing them with medical trickery, a bit of punching iirc, and at definitely outright disturbing scene right at the beginning of the fifth episode Stardust City Rag.
Violence, cruelty, tragedy, terror, listing all the nouns would take longer than the scene itself.
Anyone who is remotely squeamish must be aware: do NOT watch the beginning of episode 5.
I mean it. It may fuck you up for a good while.
I hadn't initially quite understood why people had found it so disturbing, seeing how a marginally less gory version of the same basic actions had been on Voyager, but I get it now (I'm just broken, you gotta give me some time).

---------------------------------------------------------

Star Trek: Prodigy

I've only seen one episode so far and, yes, this is a kids' show. No doubt about it.
The characters, plot, lack of humping, all suitable for children.
A wee bit violent here and there, but no gore or such.
The premise seems to have some potential.
Show
A strange baddie is running a forced labor camp on an asteroid, apparently in the Delta Quadrant.
He has his slaves dig for minerals, but those are just paying the bills. Really, they are mining to find a lost Starfleet ship, hidden somewhere in the asteroid.
The protagonist, as part of his troublemaker persona, accidentally discovers it. He recruits a motley crew of misfits, mostly children, too, and they steal the ship, get out of the asteroid.
Initially, they have to improvise ("Just keep pushing buttons until the thing happens" or suchlike was the dialog), but right at the end, a training hologram is activated. The hologram is modeled on none other than Captain Janeway, voiced by Kate Mulgrew herself.
It's for gits but... I really liked it. No, I really did. Silly fun. Recommended. Entirely suitable for kids.

----------------------------------------------------------

So those are the "New Trek" shows as it stands.
Star Trek Prodigy is up and running. A third season of Lower Decks has been ordered and is in the works, Season 2 of Picard is coming out in February, a third has already been ordered, while season 4 of Disco begins on the 18th, less than three weeks from now.

On top of which, Strange New Worlds is set to be released at some point in 2022, while work is also progressing on the (as yet untitled) show about Georgiou's adventures in Section 31.

So, counting up.
Lower Decks, Discovery, Picard, Prodigy, Strange New Worlds, Section 31.
We have FOUR Star Trek shows running concurrently, if not broadcast at the same time, and two more on the way.
We will soon live in a world with A HALF DOZEN Star Trek shows.

motorpsycho67
Double-dip Diogenes

Post by motorpsycho67 » Sun Oct 31, 2021 8:32 pm

Don't care for any of the Star Trek iterations other than the original series. Have to pass, I guess...
'75 Honda CB400F
'82 Kawalski GPz750
etc.

DerGolgo
Zaphod's Zeitgeist

Post by DerGolgo » Mon Nov 01, 2021 3:27 am

motorpsycho67 wrote:
Sun Oct 31, 2021 8:32 pm
Don't care for any of the Star Trek iterations other than the original series. Have to pass, I guess...
Hey, you do you.
But allow me to recommend: Lower Decks really is funny, even if you're not into Star Trek. Plenty of pop-culture memes for non-trekkies to recognize and have a laugh with. Alongside actual humor.
"That's racist! Many Orions haven't been slave traders for literally months!"

Jaeger
Baron von Scrapple

Post by Jaeger » Mon Nov 01, 2021 7:06 am

Bigshankhank wrote:
So there is an obscure sci-fi novel about a desert planet called Dune that involves, well quite a lot. ... I recommend it.
Fear is the Mind-Killer.
Cool! M and I have a date to go see it in the theater this Wednesday while the kids are in school. I've been squirming to see it as I was a Dune freak once upon a time (still am?) and I've been disappointed with every adaptation thus far.

I'll admit, if you read the whole series there's a lot that will most likely never translate to the screen (e.g., Miles Teg, the creation of the Duncan Gholas), but this one looks like they're trying to do everything as right as they can.

I won't fault the movie for not being "as good" as the book -- it's a different medium -- but I do get annoyed when they fuck up the story or plot. They should able to do this right up until the "God Emperor" book and beyond. That's when things started getting reeeeeeally heavy and weird, and I don't think Hollywood or America are ready for Leto II's "discoveries."

--Jaeger
<<NEUTIQUAM ERRO>>

DerGolgo
Zaphod's Zeitgeist

Post by DerGolgo » Sun Nov 07, 2021 3:30 am

Btw: Prodigy is on episode 3. "1st" episode was a two-parter, actually.

After over 20 years, we finally find out, at long last, after Every. Single. Trekkie. Has been asking this question, no matter their opinion of certain incarnations of Bermantrek, they have all been asking, they have all been tearing their hair out about it. For a while there, a quantifiable fraction of the internet's bandwidth was occupied with nothing other than hypothesis and discourse about
Spoiler
Show
how Voyager had that endless supply of shuttlecraft.
It is finally revealed!
Assuming it's not just a desperate "Janeway-Measure"
Show
Of course, on Voyager, it might not have been this and, what with how good at emulating personalities holodeck technology is, someone at Utopia Planitia cursed the name of whoever chose Janeway as the model for the training holo and squeezed it in.
"They picked who?! SHUTTLE A WEEK JANEWAY?! What the fuck do they expect us to do, just pull shuttles out of a damn replicator?!?"
And probably not just in this ship class, but every one thereafter. Because with her as the instructor, there are gonna be a lot of Starfleet officers with a prodigious rate of shuttlecraft loss.

Also, it's a kids show, and kids aren't like adults (duh!). They don't just look past incongruities or inconsistencies like that. They won't question stuff that's incredibly convenient, like adults would. Or design choices that obviously exist only to make things more exciting. They even might not question heavy machinery operated by AI that doesn't hit the emergency shutdown when squishy people, or even unsquishy people, waltz right into the middle of the machinery's moving bits (and have one of all of Star Trek's bestest fight scenes - and it's still kid friendly).
But kids will question just how many shuttlecraft a "small ship" can fit, actually, or what would happen to the copious hangar space that should get freed up.

Jaeger
Baron von Scrapple

Post by Jaeger » Mon Nov 08, 2021 6:56 am

UPDATE: Mishka and I went to see the new Dune last week and... yes. Fuck yes. Yes, yes yes YES.

As a self-professed Dune nerd, they hit it out of the park. They don't stray much (if at all?) from the original story (I don't recall the bullfighting references but it's been a long time)... but they hit the tone spot-the-fuck-on.

It will be very interesting to see how far they take this. I wonder if they'll follow on into "Dune Messiah" and "Children of Dune."

I'm pretty certain most folks aren't ready for "God Emperor of Dune," "Heretics," or "Chapterhouse," but hey, Hollywood, prove me wrong!

--Jaeger
<<NEUTIQUAM ERRO>>

Bigshankhank

Post by Bigshankhank » Tue Nov 09, 2021 5:55 pm

DerGolgo wrote:
Sat Oct 30, 2021 3:49 am
Bigshankhank wrote:
So there is an obscure sci-fi novel about a desert planet called Dune
Desert planet called Dune?
Show
I believe you will find the planet's name is Arrakis! :mrgreen:

You know where you are posting this. You know I had to. Set punctuation free! :P
In the English language (which here in the US we motherfuckin' speak it) my sentence is grammatically correct; there is a book called Dune. The book is obscure (ok obviously not really it is more of a foundation than Foundation), it resides in the genre of science fiction, and is about a desert planet. I have a glass of bourbon in my hand on a Tuesday evening otherwise I am almost engaged enough to actually break out sentence structure rules. Love ya DerG, never change.
-Davros