2015 -- East Coast Cell -- Planning Thread

Heading to Ragnarök? Plan your ride/routes here.
Jaeger
Baron von Scrapple

2015 -- East Coast Cell -- Planning Thread

Post by Jaeger » Wed Nov 05, 2014 8:37 am

Ok, folks. Mrs. Jaeger is rightfully busting my chops about what's going on for the Rag next year, so I gotta get the ball rolling on figuring out how I/we are going to get out to CO and back with our scoots 'n' shit.

I do not have the time to ride both ways -- and I'm not entirely sure I'd want to even if I could. I know perfectly well that riding that distance one way and then ripping around CO while I'm there will quite enough saddle time for me, thankyouverymuch.

My initial thought was to ride out -- meeting up with Rench and whomever along the way -- staying for the week, and then flying home and shipping my bike back. This plan still sounds good to me, but I'd like to get y'all's input as well.

At DOOM someone mentioned to me (before I became too inebriated to form long-term memories) that someone (Pattio? MATPOC?) might be renting a truck and hauling bikes to/from the event. This also sounds like a reasonable plan, though we'd have to figure out who's riding in which direction, how many bikes, etc. This could potentially reduce the travel time by allowing folks to drive in shifts nonstop. I've done this successfully in the past -- made it from LA to Baltimore in 48 hours. Otherwise you gotta stop to sleep or you'll be fuckin' roadkill.

I also talked to Rench about shipping bikes, as he has recent experience in doing so (the Ural). He said that with enough time and negotiating we might be able to get shipping down to under $300/bike.

Therefore, we need to ascertain the following:

1) Who the fuck is actually riding from along the I-95 corridor (or surrounds)?

2) Who else wants/needs to avoid riding both ways? (Or either way, for that matter.)

3) Who would be interested in collectively either
--a) finding a shipping company; or
--b) pooling our funds to rent a truck?

Time to start planning for real. Shit or get off the pot.

Thoughts?

--Jaeger

Bigshankhank wrote:The world is a fucking wreck, but there is still sunshine in some places. Go outside and look for it.
<<NEUTIQUAM ERRO>>
2018 Indian Scout -- "Lilah"

Skkot
The pain maker go awayer!

Re: 2015 -- East Coast Cell -- Planning Thread

Post by Skkot » Thu Nov 06, 2014 3:18 pm

Riding to Ragnarok. Air hawk seat cover for my chafing ass. Just contemplating whether & how to avoid Kansas and Missouri. I want to get an old 48-star flag so that I may exclude those two states from the Union.
2004 R1150 GS PKM + 2002 R1150R Sidecarmachine
You can wipe your ass and blow your nose with the same wad of tissue, but blow your nose first.

guitargeek
Master Metric Necromancer

Post by guitargeek » Thu Nov 06, 2014 4:50 pm

If you stage in East Goatfuck, you can come in through Arkansas and ride the Talimena National Scenic Byway.

(It's the squiggly line on top.)

EDIT: If you came from Baltimore, your route would look something like this:
bmore to rag.jpg
You may note that this route passes perilously close to Deal's Gap...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by guitargeek on Thu Nov 06, 2014 8:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Elitist, arrogant, intolerant, self-absorbed.
Midliferider wrote:Wish I could wipe this shit off my shoes but it's everywhere I walk. Dang.
Pattio wrote:Never forget, as you enjoy the high road of tolerance, that it is those of us doing the hard work of intolerance who make it possible for you to shine.
xtian wrote:Sticking feathers up your butt does not make you a chicken

rolly
Tim Horton hears a Who?

Post by rolly » Thu Nov 06, 2014 5:18 pm

Skkot wrote:Riding to Ragnarok. Air hawk seat cover for my chafing ass. Just contemplating whether & how to avoid Kansas and Missouri. I want to get an old 48-star flag so that I may exclude those two states from the Union.
Last Fraglrök, I found Nebraska to be surprisingly less maddening than Kansas. There were at least five trees! And I got the cops called on me in Missouri for passing someone, so I'm in full agreement with you about those miserable fucks.

Mk3
Captain Sensible, Space Command.
Location: The people's republic of Illinois Welcome comrade, join the party!

Post by Mk3 » Sat Nov 08, 2014 12:44 pm

I think I will waypoint at EGF at the end of day one--350 miles for me from here.
"...when someone asks you if you're a god, you say "YES "!

"UTMC, it's an international disorganization of racers, aficionados, mechanics, lunatics, and scumbags. It's like an online motorcycle Mos Eisley."

Bigshankhank
Fully Autonomous Cock-Puncher

Post by Bigshankhank » Sun Nov 09, 2014 3:59 am

This is 1100 miles from me. I would merely skirt the edge of Oklahoma at the nearest point.
It's time for Humankind to ditch the imaginary friends of our species' childhood and grow the fuck up.
-Davros

"Lasse mich deine Seele dem Herrscher der Finsternis opfern"

Let me sacrifice your soul to the ruler of darkness

Always carry a bottle of whiskey when you travel in case of a snakebite. Futhermore, always carry a small snake.

Jaeger
Baron von Scrapple

Post by Jaeger » Fri Nov 14, 2014 7:50 am

BUMP...

I'm hearing crickets regarding the one-way transport. Am I to translate that as "not interested"?

--Jaeger
Bigshankhank wrote:The world is a fucking wreck, but there is still sunshine in some places. Go outside and look for it.
<<NEUTIQUAM ERRO>>

Mk3

Post by Mk3 » Sat Nov 15, 2014 5:46 am

Jaeger wrote:BUMP...

I'm hearing crickets regarding the one-way transport. Am I to translate that as "not interested"?

--Jaeger

I bet the always impressive planning capacity of UTMC-dom is itching under you britches. maybe try PMs to people that were interested at DOOM. We're not always the best at forum checking. Meanwhile keep bumping the grind out of it on the forum, and I'm sure you'll get a cluster of fuckers together in time.

"UTMC, it's an international disorganization of racers, aficionados, mechanics, lunatics, and scumbags. It's like an online motorcycle Mos Eisley."

Rench
the Harm in Harmony

Post by Rench » Sat Nov 15, 2014 10:24 am

Maybe our techno-overlord can establish Rök15 sub-forums for disOrganizational clarity if we ask nicely?

-Rench
"I'm not a schemer..."

"Do you know why it's illegal to put gasoline in a glass container?" - Piccinni

AZRider
"I said THREE motorcycles worth of Fuck You!"

Post by AZRider » Sun Nov 16, 2014 8:52 pm

Buttzilla is definitely planning on shipping at least one way if not both. I am still trying to massage things so that I ride more.

But I am the person who suggested the rent-a-truck at DOOM. And if anyone else is considering this, DO NOT think for an instant of using U-Haul. I have been burned twice by them and sworn off ever using them again, and then burned two more times when people I was doing business with did not heed my warnings and chose U-Haul for making deliveries to me. If you read U-Haul's fine print, a "reservation" does not guarantee a vehicle will be available, nor does it obligate them to compensate you in any way if no vehicle is available at the time of your "reservation." Stick to Ryder, Penske or Budget. Penske has the best trucks.
"The hell with the zombie apocalypse, the douchebag apocalypse is upon us and their numbers are growing."-Mean Chuck
"Don't sweat the buckshot." - Buttzilla
"--Really.. I AM a nice guy by preference. I do, however, have other options." - Merlyn

Jaeger
Baron von Scrapple

Post by Jaeger » Mon Nov 17, 2014 8:20 am

AZRider wrote: Stick to Ryder, Penske or Budget. Penske has the best trucks.
Agreed. I've had good luck with Penske in the past.

--Jaeger
<<NEUTIQUAM ERRO>>

guitargeek

Post by guitargeek » Tue Jan 27, 2015 10:28 pm

If you bivy in East Goatfuck, I'll plan a ride to the Hamburger King in nearby Shawnee, one of the oldest restaurants in America. Bob Wills would call up George on the way from Texas back home to Tulsa, and George would go down in the middle of the night and fire up the grill. The Texas Playboys would break out instruments and play for their supper, leading to some very intimate, very sparsely attended hoedowns in the wee small hours of downtown Shawnee.

Still, to this day... best burgers and fries in town!
Midliferider wrote:Wish I could wipe this shit off my shoes but it's everywhere I walk. Dang.
Pattio wrote:Never forget, as you enjoy the high road of tolerance, that it is those of us doing the hard work of intolerance who make it possible for you to shine.

Skkot

Post by Skkot » Sat Mar 07, 2015 3:28 pm

East Goatfuck sounds pretty good. The route proposed from Baltimore transecting EGF, with the twisty part is tantalizing. And it avoids the undesirable places. And the burgers from an old, old grill after riding for 2.5 days... [drool] I suppose what is needed is a convergence date/time?
You can wipe your ass and blow your nose with the same wad of tissue, but blow your nose first.

Mk3

Post by Mk3 » Sat Mar 14, 2015 5:24 pm

Skkot wrote:I suppose what is needed is a convergence date/time?
indeed

AZRider

Post by AZRider » Mon May 04, 2015 6:23 pm

I am heading out early, leaving CT around the 15th according to current plan. Plenty of time to fuck around. If anyone else can do the long & leisurely, I'll take company...
"The hell with the zombie apocalypse, the douchebag apocalypse is upon us and their numbers are growing."-Mean Chuck
"--Really.. I AM a nice guy by preference. I do, however, have other options." - Merlyn

Rench
the Harm in Harmony

Post by Rench » Mon May 04, 2015 6:30 pm

I've proposed a post EGF convergence in the precise center of the continental 48 (a near-forgotten park just northwest of Lebanon KS). About 6 hours of US36 from there to Denver. I'll be there Sunday the 21st, about sunup. I'll wait for anyone who wants to meet.

-Rench
"I'm not a schemer..."

guitargeek

Post by guitargeek » Tue May 05, 2015 6:07 pm

Look at your map. The reason for meeting in East Goatfuck is to avoid the soul killing emptiness that is Kansas.

Rench
the Harm in Harmony

Post by Rench » Tue May 05, 2015 6:29 pm

I don't think there is any way to save ones soul from the flyover states. I took EGF as the last bastion of sanity before spring boarding into the true flatlands. I'd love to hit it myself but it's more than a bit south for me.

I'm imagining the Center as the home stretch of said wasteland. Or the northern alternate to EGF. Or just a vaguely interesting point on the map which I have no particular reason to ever go near again, and thought others might feel the same.

I hope you don't think I'm trying to steal your thunder GG. Not even close. Not that anyone really could. :mrgreen:

-Rench
"I'm not a schemer..."

Skkot

Post by Skkot » Thu May 07, 2015 7:05 pm

My plan so far is to depart Katzenstein, DPRM early on 6/17 and traverse 486 miles or so to Lexington via Charleston WV (avoiding I-81 :x ). 6/18 arrive in Memphis and have some ribs. 6/19 arrive EGF? 6/20 Lamar, CO (decent diner there if I recall correctly), and ride into Denver on the 21st.

Bo_9
Ayatollah of Mayhem
Location: Filthy little worn-out, broken down, see through soul.

Post by Bo_9 » Fri May 08, 2015 9:26 am

Skkot wrote:Lamar, CO (decent diner there if I recall correctly)
Yes there is, or was a few years ago, I ended up there three times due to family having an auto accident in Springfield,CO and having to appear for related court dates.
When an old man dies a library burns...

"Every accident involving machinery begins with a single defect. Never forget that defect can be between your ears." - E.J. Potter
"I feel like i'm in "my little pony" HELL!!!!" -Goose
"Well, he never ever smiled, but he always seemed pleased."
"Just one bad day..."

Skkot

Post by Skkot » Fri May 08, 2015 5:32 pm

Right next to the hotel (was there in 2011 on the way back East with the bike I am returning on). I had a steak. Thinking on camping in the John Martin Reservoir park that night, then go west on 50 and up I-25 to Denver.

Mk3

Post by Mk3 » Fri May 08, 2015 6:42 pm

I'll also be in EGF on the 19th. I'm batting the idea back and fourth of meeting rench in the middle of fucking nowhere (MOFN). Seeing as his suburban boredom is one of the prime reasons this whole thing is happening, it makes sense to rally up with him along the way. It only adds minimal mileage to the VFR direct EGF to Denver run with a midway stop. And considering how kick ass it was to have an Ootmic convergence en route to DOOM, I cant imagine this wouldn't be at least as sweet.

guitargeek

Post by guitargeek » Fri May 08, 2015 9:26 pm

Kansas = slab.
New Mexico = mountains.

Perhaps you could take the southern route back to Louisiana. Either way, East Goatfuck lies along your path.

Mk3

Post by Mk3 » Sat May 09, 2015 5:22 am

I'm planning to go to EGF on friday the 19th regardless. I'm leaning toward meeting rench in MOFN the next day instead of booking over to Ulysses Kansas. My return will run south of you and I'll be swinging through Wichita Falls TX (WTF-TX) to check on my tenant and what is now a drought crater in the ground where there used to be a pool. I'm more floating post-EGF concepts for anybody who's planning on landing on your porch the 19th.

Skkot

Post by Skkot » Tue May 26, 2015 1:20 pm

Mk3 wrote:I'm planning to go to EGF on friday the 19th regardless. I'm leaning toward meeting rench in MOFN the next day instead of booking over to Ulysses Kansas.
Not sure of the specific coordinates for EGF, but we could head up 281 from Seiling, OK and camp in Kansas the night of the 20th. 281 goes right to Lebanon, MOFN

AZRider

Post by AZRider » Tue May 26, 2015 6:52 pm

EGF is definitely on my route and I would love to ride with other ootmiks. I may need to arrive in Denver early to change tires, still gotta talk to Tumbler about that before I commit.

Mk3

Post by Mk3 » Tue May 26, 2015 9:05 pm

GG better start bulking up that stew hombre. It looks like you'll have a good amount of guests passing through.