SECURITY ADVISORY!
On 2020/11/18, suspicions were expressed that there had been a data breach.
At least some DisMembers' login data may have been compromised.

As of April 14, 2021, no further breach or news thereof has become apparent. This message just looks different because anyone who was gonna read the whole thing presumably did by now.

Please see announcement in Forum Stuff for details, and for how to change your password.
Click Here

Eastern Horde Sleeping en route?

Heading to Ragnarök? Plan your ride/routes here.
Rench
the Harm in Harmony

Eastern Horde Sleeping en route?

Post by Rench » Tue Sep 08, 2009 11:52 am

It's been thrown out a few times below with no solid answer: for those joining the Eastern Horde, how shall we do overnights while marauding?

I do see a Lake Clinton State Park just outside Lawrence, KS, which would probably be cheap, easy, and well on the way for the night of June 20. Unless anyone really prefers a bed before camping for a week?

-Rench

OP: As long as we're getting input from Baltimore, I figured I'd broaden the scope here. :mrgreen:

If I may be so bold Rev, by my figuring all y'all should be able to make Dayton Ohio by night 1, then meet up with us flyovers for lunch on Day 2, making KC a natural stop for that night (presumably Sunday). Final push Monday, DAG barbecue for dinner.

Of course picking up Bo_9 while there, and the cheeseys coming down with me. Perhaps not the most efficient route for some of us, but better fun in marauding masses.

I am too dumb to figure out how to have multiple starting points, so this is as good as I can do for google maps.

-Rench

Oop:

epicepicepichappygoodness!!!!

Ahem. Anyway, this is what I'm planning, for the sake of collecting Guder down south and catching the East Coast caravan on the way through.

Assuming other flyover support, I'll happily change thread title to include.

Danny? Madison Cell? Solo? Deacon? ANYBODY?!?!?!

-Rench
    Last edited by Rench on Sat May 08, 2010 9:44 am, edited 4 times in total.

"I'm not a schemer..."

"Do you know why it's illegal to put gasoline in a glass container?" - Piccinni

Disastermined
    Maltov Rattlecan

Post by Disastermined » Tue Sep 08, 2009 11:59 am

Barring some emergency, count me in from the cheese grater cell!

Edit:
    Twotimes is also planning on going (provided he can get himself a bike). I'll put some pressure on my other recruits to commit
    94 Kawasaki Vulcan 750

We're all mad here!

Bo_9
    Ayatollah of Mayhem
    Location: Filthy little worn-out, broken down, see through soul.

Post by Bo_9 » Tue Sep 08, 2009 12:59 pm

I can join up in KC if I'm going with plan B and burning asphalt to Colorado.
    When an old man dies a library burns...

"Every accident involving machinery begins with a single defect. Never forget that defect can be between your ears." - E.J. Potter
    "I feel like i'm in "my little pony" HELL!!!!" -Goose
    "Well, he never ever smiled, but he always seemed pleased."
    "Just one bad day..."

dozer
    Hammer Time

Post by dozer » Tue Sep 08, 2009 5:45 pm

I R O N - B U T T.
    "All you lazy bastards, you don't build no castles!"
    -Jim Bishop.
    Sisyphus wrote: If, on the other hand, a full-on revolution starts within one year, you will provide me your mailing address and I will send you the balsa wood box for you to eat. Provided I haven't already eaten it. In which case I will send you an object of equal or lesser value that hasn't been eaten, provided it is as edible as balsa and is of nearly equvalent volume (empty).

Rench
    the Harm in Harmony

Post by Rench » Tue Sep 08, 2009 6:20 pm

Kidding, right? Not to be a dick, but 500 to 600 mile days? I plan on bringing board games for the down time...

-Rench
    "I'm not a schemer..."

guitargeek
    Master Metric Necromancer

Post by guitargeek » Wed Sep 09, 2009 3:09 am

Reckon I'll assimilate with the horde in Salina. What time y'all be through there?

Oh, and what day?
    Elitist, arrogant, intolerant, self-absorbed.
    Midliferider wrote:Wish I could wipe this shit off my shoes but it's everywhere I walk. Dang.
    Pattio wrote:Never forget, as you enjoy the high road of tolerance, that it is those of us doing the hard work of intolerance who make it possible for you to shine.
    xtian wrote:Sticking feathers up your butt does not make you a chicken

Bigshankhank
    Fully Autonomous Cock-Puncher

Post by Bigshankhank » Wed Sep 09, 2009 3:15 am

Too far North for me, I'll probably be blasting through the Texas panhandle then northbound to Denver.
    It's time for Humankind to ditch the imaginary friends of our species' childhood and grow the fuck up.
    -Davros

"Lasse mich deine Seele dem Herrscher der Finsternis opfern"

Let me sacrifice your soul to the ruler of darkness

Always carry a bottle of whiskey when you travel in case of a snakebite. Futhermore, always carry a small snake.

Rench
    the Harm in Harmony

Post by Rench » Wed Sep 09, 2009 5:46 am

Im guessing mid-morning Monday for Salina GG, if people are digging my plan. I'm WTFO for suggestions.

-Rench
    "I'm not a schemer..."

Rench
    the Harm in Harmony

Post by Rench » Wed Sep 09, 2009 6:31 am

If you can drive the east coast folks all the way to Indianapolis on day the first, you will be dubbed Cat-Herder-Extraordinaire-First-Class. :mrgreen:

An awesome goal to set. Looking forward to lunch in Effingham.

We do have Red in Indianapolis, who may finally have his bike issues sorted by then. Depending on sheer bio-mass passing through, maybe he can recommend a place to stay.

-Rench
    "I'm not a schemer..."

Rench
    the Harm in Harmony

Post by Rench » Wed Sep 09, 2009 6:37 am

Can we at least use you as a heroic example to aspire to? :mrgreen:

-Rench

PS: you won't talk about DOOM 30 days out, but here you are talking next June?
    "I'm not a schemer..."

Rock
    Superfudge!

Post by Rock » Wed Sep 09, 2009 7:17 am

I'll play it by ear, maybe meet up with people to spend the night, fuel up......not really group riding.....

leftlaneguy
    Chrome Bratwurst Extraordinaire

Post by leftlaneguy » Wed Sep 09, 2009 8:12 am

As the timeframe fits with my impending move to the richmond area, I for one, vote to use Chris's route/plan for the peeps from the area. Question: What bikes are y'all considering for this trip? Anyone getting something 'new' for this? Or are you planning on your current ride? Myself, I'm thinking about building something for it. But, there's always the possibility of a prototype or two making the trek, just to prove a point. We'll see. Other than that, I'm deffering to the Devil-Bitch... With luggage.... (that's something to see)
    dave

Priest
    Ancient Mariner

Post by Priest » Wed Sep 09, 2009 8:21 am

If I'm going to dayton, I'm pushing through to Indianapolis at the very least. I don't want to spend any more time in Ohio than I have to. Maybe I'll pick some of you up in central illinois.

Alternately, I'll take a more southern route through Kentucky. I'll decide that day.
    Priest.

Vespalina
    Magnum Jihad

Post by Vespalina » Wed Sep 09, 2009 10:09 am

I'm sure Nate will be looking at maps for this trip soon. However, coming from Philly, we will probably take a more northern route to at least Ohio area (possibly Rt 80 or the PA turnpike?).

I know it's a solid 14 hours from Philly to Chicago, so I don't know if I'd be able to do that all in one day, though I'd like to. If we were driving the cage out, we could at least take turns and nap - tell me if I'm a wuss for thinking 14 hours in the saddle is too long for one day (I have no idea as the furthest I have ridden in one day is Buena Vista, VA to Philly on the way home from LLG's house)

I'll be taking the Ninja this time. It's doubleplus fast on the highways - much more so than the Vespa. (shhhh...don't tell Veronica I said that)

Perhaps we can meet up somewhere along the way with some people. Being that Nate and I are mechanically retarded (me moreso than Nate), it would be nice to ride along with some more mechanically inclined folks.
    Hell on Wheels

dozer
    Hammer Time

Post by dozer » Wed Sep 09, 2009 10:55 am

Rench wrote:Kidding, right? Not to be a dick, but 500 to 600 mile days? I plan on bringing board games for the down time...

-Rench

No, 1,700 mile DAY.
    -Jim Bishop.
    Sisyphus wrote: If, on the other hand, a full-on revolution starts within one year, you will provide me your mailing address and I will send you the balsa wood box for you to eat. Provided I haven't already eaten it. In which case I will send you an object of equal or lesser value that hasn't been eaten, provided it is as edible as balsa and is of nearly equvalent volume (empty).

Bo_9
    Ayatollah of Mayhem
    Location: Filthy little worn-out, broken down, see through soul.

Post by Bo_9 » Wed Sep 09, 2009 11:54 am

Vespalina wrote:Veronica (because she's not a Heather)
    :lol:
    Thanks for that, dull afternoon fixified!
    When an old man dies a library burns...

"Every accident involving machinery begins with a single defect. Never forget that defect can be between your ears." - E.J. Potter
    "I feel like i'm in "my little pony" HELL!!!!" -Goose
    "Well, he never ever smiled, but he always seemed pleased."
    "Just one bad day..."

Rench
    the Harm in Harmony

Post by Rench » Wed Sep 09, 2009 12:13 pm

Vespalina, if you guys want to make Chicago by Saturday night, you can crash at my place and head down with us Sunday morning to meet other east-coasters on the way through.

-Rench
    "I'm not a schemer..."

ghost
    High Kommand

Post by ghost » Wed Sep 09, 2009 6:14 pm

leftlaneguy wrote:As the timeframe fits with my impending move to the richmond area, I for one, vote to use Chris's route/plan for the peeps from the area. Question: What bikes are y'all considering for this trip? Anyone getting something 'new' for this? Or are you planning on your current ride? Myself, I'm thinking about building something for it. But, there's always the possibility of a prototype or two making the trek, just to prove a point. We'll see. Other than that, I'm deffering to the Devil-Bitch... With luggage.... (that's something to see)
    I plan to build a frame around a snowmobile engine, bolt on a seat, put it on bicycle wheels, and then ride that.

Seriously though, as with Priest's route-planning, I'll likely just look at the bikes at my disposal and decide the morning I leave.

As to route, since 64 runs through Richmond, I'd planned to push that to STL, then grab 70 to Denver. Could meet the more-northerly folks prior to that too, I guess. Just depends, and right now, it's pretty early to call.
    Loud pipes impede cell phone conversations.

Mean Chuck
    Delaware Destroyer

Post by Mean Chuck » Wed Sep 09, 2009 6:29 pm

I will find the most direct route and head out saturday morning and cover as much ground as possible, hopefully at least 1000 miles and pick up the rest the next day. My all-time personal best is 1250 in one day but that was when I was 23 and I'm not 23 anymore. Anyone that wants to join my madness is welcome, if weather is decent I want to do at least 16 to 18 hours the first day with stops included and get the rest the next. It's gonna hurt the first day but not as much as the second.
    My father was a workaholic, every time you mention work he got drunk! -Rodney Dangerfield

Priest
    Ancient Mariner

Post by Priest » Wed Sep 09, 2009 7:19 pm

ghost wrote: Some stuff.
    For the record, whilst Ghost is an easier-to-say name, and probably more accurate, it doesn't lend itself to funny, entertaining rhyming games as the previous moniker of High Kommand did.
    Priest.

cafe danny
    Maltov Rattlecan

Post by cafe danny » Thu Sep 10, 2009 6:08 am

ok, should be able to swing this trip.
    76 cafe cb750
    03 motoguzzi v11 sport
    09 bmw r1200gs

Priest
    Ancient Mariner

Post by Priest » Thu Sep 10, 2009 8:00 am

cafe danny wrote:ok, should be able to swing this trip.
    You say that like there was a choice.
    Priest.

Rench
    the Harm in Harmony

Post by Rench » Thu Sep 10, 2009 8:08 am

Dozerone, I stand corrected and proud. :mrgreen:

As for all the non-commital motherfuckers, I agree. I sympathize and empathize, complete with a bit 'o jealousy. Traveling alone is inevitably easier and faster.

I think a big-ass group will be more fun though. Personally, this is probably one of the first times I've wanted to travel en masse. Like-minded folks, fuel stop shenanigans, relaxed pace, plus the opportunity to help encourage a few non-high-milers.

Hopefully we'll run into you out there.

-Rench
    "I'm not a schemer..."

cafe danny
    Maltov Rattlecan

Post by cafe danny » Thu Sep 10, 2009 5:08 pm

Priest wrote:
    cafe danny wrote:ok, should be able to swing this trip.
    You say that like there was a choice.
    :shock: not the whip! i will be good, dont beat me anymore... ok ok i am in
    76 cafe cb750
    03 motoguzzi v11 sport
    09 bmw r1200gs

cafe danny
    Maltov Rattlecan

Post by cafe danny » Thu Sep 10, 2009 5:16 pm

what is the time out and what stops? camping or flea bags?
    76 cafe cb750
    03 motoguzzi v11 sport
    09 bmw r1200gs

AZRider
    "I said THREE motorcycles worth of Fuck You!"

Post by AZRider » Fri Sep 11, 2009 9:32 am

Buttzilla and I intend to join up with the Eastern group, probably as we cross Central Pennsyltucky.

Since we are coming out of the East and ravaging everything in our path, I figured we should be the Mongol Horde. But the Mongols are grouchy about other motorcyclists sharing their name, so The Eastern Horde will do, eh?

As much as I dislike the slab, it is probably the correct course of action for this group/itinerary.

I figure the Hawk is not the only bike requiring fuel every 100 miles, so there will be a lot of time lost to fluid changes (Add fuel, drain used coffee, top up with fresh coffee). High mile days will be hard to come by.
    "The hell with the zombie apocalypse, the douchebag apocalypse is upon us and their numbers are growing."-Mean Chuck
    "Don't sweat the buckshot." - Buttzilla
    "--Really.. I AM a nice guy by preference. I do, however, have other options." - Merlyn

dozer
    Hammer Time

Post by dozer » Mon Sep 21, 2009 6:19 am

I was pointed to this list when I was planning the Xcountry ride this summer, I think it's a really nice idea to look into
    http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=310941
    -Jim Bishop.

Jaeger
    Baron von Scrapple

Post by Jaeger » Mon Sep 21, 2009 9:11 am

Ok, lemme ask this: how many days are folks planning for getting there/back? Looks to me like 3 days each way from DC, doing between 500-600 miles a day (around 8-10 hours saddle time).

That sound about right?

More than that is do-able, but realistically with a big group of people, stopping every 100 miles or so for gas/piss/food I don't think it'll be feasible to do more than that safely.

I'm guessing the following waypoints:

DC - Indianapolis -- 594mi - about 9 hours 31 mins
    Indianapolis - Kansas City -- 485 mi – about 7 hours 29 mins
    Kansas City - Denver -- 599 mi – about 8 hours 38 mins

Something like that?

--Jaeger
    Bigshankhank wrote:The world is a fucking wreck, but there is still sunshine in some places. Go outside and look for it.
    <<NEUTIQUAM ERRO>>
    2018 Indian Scout -- "Lilah"

AZRider
    "I said THREE motorcycles worth of Fuck You!"

Post by AZRider » Tue Sep 29, 2009 10:19 pm

Jaeger's plan sounds about right. I'd opt for a bit of distance outside of cities for camping purposes.

The Eastern Horde might converge at wherever our near-Indianapolis first night stop may be.

Generally speaking, I don't make reservations for roadtrip night stops, but that might be the best plan for this Horde, at least the first night. Posses from different areas don't have to burn daylight waiting for each other. Stragglers and people from farther off the main route can catch up, and we'll all roll out together in the AM of day 2.
    "The hell with the zombie apocalypse, the douchebag apocalypse is upon us and their numbers are growing."-Mean Chuck
    "Don't sweat the buckshot." - Buttzilla
    "--Really.. I AM a nice guy by preference. I do, however, have other options." - Merlyn

rubber buccaneer
    Magnum Jihad

Post by rubber buccaneer » Sat Feb 06, 2010 11:50 pm

I can join you when you get to central PA. With that said ...

Do we have a time frame in mind ?
    Are we getting rooms for overnight, roadside tenting or bumming it at a rest stop ?
    ———————
    keeper of the man-t-hose™️