SECURITY ADVISORY!
On 2020/11/18, suspicions were expressed that there had been a data breach.
At least some DisMembers' login data may have been compromised.

As of April 14, 2021, no further breach or news thereof has become apparent. This message just looks different because anyone who was gonna read the whole thing presumably did by now.

Please see announcement in Forum Stuff for details, and for how to change your password.
Click Here

PNW approach: who's with team ZK?

Heading to Ragnarök? Plan your ride/routes here.

Considering that less than 400 adds another day of travel, what's your ideal daily mileage for this trip?

200-300
No votes
300-400
No votes
400-500
50%
500+
50%

Total votes: 6

Whiskeywrist
Barista of Doom

PNW approach: who's with team ZK?

Post by Whiskeywrist » Sun Sep 13, 2009 9:43 am

Planning is in the early stages- so far, I've got about 1500 miles total from Seattle to Denver, avoiding slab whenever possible.

I think we can do four, 300-400 mile average days pretty well, but we can also alter it to be more like 3 500 milers, depending on peoples time off allotment vs. riding comfort.

We'd leave either Friday, June 18th, or the next Saturday, and be back in town either Sunday the 27th, or Monday the 28th.

I imagine the return route might be more divided, as folks either wish to prolong their stay in Denver, or may need to return early.

The map I'm working on:

<iframe width="425" height="350" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0" src="http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8& ... "></iframe>
<small>View <a href="http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8& ... urce=embed" style="color:#0000FF;text-align:left">Ragnarok 2010 ZK approach</a> in a larger map</small>

Target camping/overnight stops will be added once I get some feedback.
My assumption is that everyone coming with the ZK contingent has their own camping gear/luggage, and we'll be hitting whatever state parks, KOA, friend's lawns, etc along the way.

I think I'll set aside some funds for a hotel one night, perhaps toward the end of the return trip, but am planning on putting a lot of mileage on my Thermarest.

So sound off kids- who's planning on joining our approach, versus their own alternate plans?

================================
2014 Aprilia Tuono

karl package
Magnum Jihad

Post by karl package » Sun Sep 13, 2009 11:50 pm

I was thinking of just picking rally point camp sites and going for it cannonball style.
Everything is true. God is an astronaut. Oz is over the rainbow, and Midian is where the monsters live... And you came to die.

Whiskeywrist
Barista of Doom

Post by Whiskeywrist » Mon Sep 14, 2009 8:15 am

Not a bad idea, Karl- we can post our destinations once the caravan has their route figured out, and any stragglers/sololobos can opt yo find us there at day's end.
2014 Aprilia Tuono

calamari kid
Ayatollah of Mayhem

Post by calamari kid » Mon Sep 14, 2009 5:42 pm

I'm up for just about anything. If longer mileage days mean less slab, I'm all over it. That said, I don't want to be too cooked to enjoy the CO happiness when we arrive.
"Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon." -Honda manual circa 1962

"Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba...." -Hunter S Thompson

"A psychotic is a guy who's just found out what's going on." -William S. Burroughs

Whiskeywrist
Barista of Doom

Post by Whiskeywrist » Mon Sep 14, 2009 7:18 pm

The route so far has some wiggle room both ways- we can trim slab, for more enjoyable road, or we can save time.

I think the current route is a pretty good compromise.

My personal preference is for more push and less days, but I want to enjoy the whole trip with whoever is on board and don't want to make anyone ride beyond their ability. I'm fine with extra miles of better roads, but if it means hurting someones PTO allotment, I'll bend for more company.

There's A LOT of riding in this plan, some awesome, some tedious. I'd much rather arrive, still friends, happy, bikes and bodies intact, and ready to hang out than any other consideration.

I think we'll get a better idea as plans develop, and may end up with several posses based on similar goals/limitations.

There's months yet of planning, I'm glad were getting an early start...
2014 Aprilia Tuono

Whiskeywrist
Barista of Doom

Post by Whiskeywrist » Mon Sep 14, 2009 7:36 pm

The route so far has some wiggle room both ways- we can trim slab, for more enjoyable road, or we can save time.

I think the current route is a pretty good compromise.

My personal preference is for more push and less days, but I want to enjoy the whole trip with whoever is on board and don't want to make anyone ride beyond their ability. I'm fine with extra miles of better roads, but if it means hurting someones PTO allotment, I'll bend for more company.

There's A LOT of riding in this plan, some awesome, some tedious. I'd much rather arrive, still friends, happy, bikes and bodies intact, and ready to hang out than any other consideration.

I think we'll get a better idea as plans develop, and may end up with several posses based on similar goals/limitations.

There's months yet of planning, I'm glad were getting an early start...
2014 Aprilia Tuono

thrasherbill
Burninator of the Dirt Oval

Post by thrasherbill » Tue Sep 15, 2009 1:18 pm

I really really really don't want to miss out on this trip. But (there is always a but) I'm not sure I can do it on the Deer Hunter for a few reasons. It's not really built for touring/long distance, my back hurts just thinking about it. Second gear is pretty much non existant - 3000 RPM max before it finds nuetral. And it's a rebuild with some pretty high milage. That being said, I voted 400-500 mile days assuming there will be gas stops every couple of hours. There is always the possibility that I could be riding a more suitable bike by next spring as well.

Your route looks good, I've been messing around with google maps too and it looks like there are towns right in the daily milage target range that should have camping facilities. I find long stretches of slab to be harder on my body than long stretches of minor roadways with a few more twists and turns.

So at this point I am a definite maybe but if I'm able I'm in with the PNW convey.
KZ's are for assholes... - scumbag
Well, if KZ riders are assholes, and CB riders are fucktards, I guess Buell riders can forthwith be known as cunts. - guitargeek
I cannot brain today, I have the dumb. - piccini9
In other news, I want to have sex with your bike. - Beemer Dan
A beard, it's like tits for your face. - MagnusTheBuilder

calamari kid
Ayatollah of Mayhem

Post by calamari kid » Tue Sep 15, 2009 6:19 pm

Another routing option up for consideration. Minimizes slab, includes Lolo pass, and runs through Jellystone. Mileage is pretty close to the initial offering @ 1446. Whaddya all think?

<iframe width="425" height="350" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0" src="http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source= ... "></iframe>
"Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon." -Honda manual circa 1962

"Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba...." -Hunter S Thompson

"A psychotic is a guy who's just found out what's going on." -William S. Burroughs

causef0rconcern
Mzungu Jihad

Post by causef0rconcern » Mon Sep 21, 2009 8:54 am

I'll leave the route planning to you touring professionals - but I am in regardless. My preference would be to do minimal slab, and with enough drugs, 500+ miles on backroads each day is fine. If anyone wants to diverge and take some fire roads, thats also ok with me!
!!!LESS INTERNET, MORE LIFE!!!!

causef0rconcern
Mzungu Jihad

Post by causef0rconcern » Mon Sep 21, 2009 8:55 am

To add - I'd prefer to pitch a tent every night. Also, I'd like to use my camping equipment, like my tent, to sleep at night.

FastCat
&#916;v/&#916;t = Whoopass

Post by FastCat » Tue Sep 29, 2009 8:37 am

I have trouble planning ahead as far as next week, but I'm looking at google maps and thinking that 1300 miles is do-able in one shot or just a single nap-stop along the way. Maybe I could figure out a route that adds another 200 miles and submit paperwork for the IBA "Bun-Burner 1500" certificate (already got my SS-1000 certificate many years ago).

I'd kinda like to come out and vacation with ootmiks next summer, but see above about my planning-challenged self.

I will say this - you can cover LOTS more ground in one day if you stick to interstate and cheap-motels vs. back roads and campgrounds.

...but a detour through yellowstone could be entertaining...

bah - I'll think more about it and post up something when I'm sure if I'm going or not (probably like a week before the cataclysm).

AZRider
"I said THREE motorcycles worth of Fuck You!"

Post by AZRider » Tue Sep 29, 2009 10:09 pm

Small chance that Buttzilla and I will ride with you from CO to SEA. We want to get out there and visit with Guzzinerd, then do some of the northern PCH before heading homeward.

Odds are we will be doing a slower/more scenic route, but who knows? I missed seeing ZK World Headquarters the last 2 times I was out there, so it's on the list of scenic destinations for the trip.
"The hell with the zombie apocalypse, the douchebag apocalypse is upon us and their numbers are growing."-Mean Chuck
"Don't sweat the buckshot." - Buttzilla
"--Really.. I AM a nice guy by preference. I do, however, have other options." - Merlyn

causef0rconcern
Mzungu Jihad

Post by causef0rconcern » Sun Feb 28, 2010 11:49 pm

Howdy all...Noticing this thread hasn't been a bustling hub of activity...

Just making sure you are all still in. Can we get a roll call for PNW evacuees? Then perhaps form a ride consensus, and see if we can all do it as one group or if it will be better to splinter off to suite individual or smaller group(s) riding preferences. I'd like to sort this out just because for the first time in my life I am trying to plan this thing out a little bit.

karl package
Magnum Jihad

Post by karl package » Mon Mar 01, 2010 6:07 pm

Uncle Billy and I are still planning on going. I think we may be leaving on Thursday to do a bit of meandering on the way. We may meet up with the Seattle cell later on the route.

GeekGrl
Magnum Jihad

Post by GeekGrl » Mon Mar 01, 2010 7:42 pm

Whilst I am planning on attending, it will be a cage journey. The bennie to that, however, is I'll be able to transpo larger items for the PNW Cell to Rag (i.e., causeforconcern's guitar) that you don't need/want for the journeying to and fro.

Basic notion is to leave Saturday and arrive Monday at Rag ... with Sunday night in Wyoming (to visit a mate who raises horses and whose da owns a pub there ... :-)).
"This is what I do, darlin'. This is what I do." -- Mal Reynolds

'09 Triumph Bonneville
'02 Suzuki GZ250 (sold, may it have new journeys)

Tales from a solo ride: http://www.waywardrider.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

calamari kid
Ayatollah of Mayhem

Post by calamari kid » Mon Mar 01, 2010 10:29 pm

karl package wrote:Uncle Billy and I are still planning on going. I think we may be leaving on Thursday to do a bit of meandering on the way. We may meet up with the Seattle cell later on the route.
Lemme know your plans, if that's cool. I'm going to try and get out early as well. Lord knows with my work schedule though. Unless of course you guys are looking for some bromance time.

karl package
Magnum Jihad

Post by karl package » Tue Mar 02, 2010 1:16 am

Bromance time with Bill is usually breakfast on Sunday mornings at the bar down the street from my house.
Anyone who would like to head out on Thursday is welcome to join us or even meet up with us Thursday evening somewhere around Idaho if you don't want to add the extra 3 hour ride south at the beginning of your trip.

Zer0
Professor of Poop

Post by Zer0 » Tue Mar 09, 2010 9:56 am

Obvioiusly not PNW, but keep this mind, as my fellow IBA SS 1000 fastcat would probably agree:

Non-slab roads, though more scenic and rewarding can be unpredictable. Whewn I did thhe SS 1000 with carl Of, we did much of it on US 101 up the coast, and the parts that ran through towns really wore us out, specifically because we were out to make miles. (We did 1019 mi. in 19 hrs, btw)

So my humble suggestion is to make more use of slab on the way down so you're not too fried from possibly having to push it on unfamiliar country roads when you get to the Rag, then play on the backroads on the way back.

(I may have to slab it and go Gonzo both ways--I simply can not miss too many days at work) :x
'74 R90/6--Thor
'05 Sportster 1200--FrankenRat
My boy D when he was 4 wrote:Bones aren't important--we like motorcycles.
High Kommand wrote:That's the problem with giving a bike a girl's name. Too much temptation to lay it down to examine the undercarriage...

karl package
Magnum Jihad

Post by karl package » Tue Apr 20, 2010 12:51 am

I just realized that I made a horrible mistake in my planning for this trip. I thought we were meeting in Denver on Sunday and then rolling to the campsite on Monday. It seems more likely the PDX contingent will be leaving on Friday also. Possible meetup in Pendleton?

Photo
Bacon Torpedo

Post by Photo » Tue Apr 20, 2010 1:10 am

Interesting routes submitted - I don't want to discourage a trip through Jellystone, since I've spent so many happy miles riding through it on a bike.

However, beware: they have been having seasonal road construction on and off for the last 5 years to repair the road at the South entrance of the park. If that construction becomes rutted or muddy, it is a total MOFO for motorcycles! Experienced riders dump their bikes in the clay bogs that are created! The park construction crews make no concession for 2-wheelers when digging up the road bed there. Just FYI.

Call ahead for road conditions before you leave and invest a lot of travel time to get to the park. Also, consider that it sometimes SNOWS at high elevation areas of the park through July. Pack cold & wet gear accordingly. (Think 30F degrees and Snizzle) I'm just saying, because I've had to make my own share of hypothermic tire tracks in the "summer slush" of June and July in Jellystone before.
"Brought to you, by Carl's Jr."

calamari kid
Ayatollah of Mayhem

Post by calamari kid » Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:56 am

Thanks for the heads up on the construction, I'll be sure to check in to that.

I probably won't be able to get outta town 'til Sat a.m. You guys have a feel for where you'll be laying over for the evenings? Mayhap we can catch up to ya somewhere along the trail.

Whiskeywrist
Barista of Doom

Post by Whiskeywrist » Tue Apr 20, 2010 7:50 pm

As the Rag gets imminent, us PNW will have to start hashing out a few details- when we do, all will be informed, and meetup possibilities discussed.

One option to consider, is use of Google Latitude, or another realtime location application for smartphones and such.

I for one will be updating all relevant data via my iPhone whenever possible, on the off chance someone can use that data to connect with us. I may be trying to tag a Gmap as well, with daily stops if there's interest.

Right now, It looks like Friday night will find team PNW somewhere near Pendleton, OR. It's certainly feasible to connect thereabouts for you Portlanders- either there, or shortly down the road.
2014 Aprilia Tuono

GeekGrl
Magnum Jihad

Post by GeekGrl » Tue Apr 20, 2010 9:54 pm

For those of the PNW crew who want me to Sherpa items out to Rag ... i am happy to do so ... on a first dibs basis on the limited space available in my VW Golf: Jersey has dibs on space already, as does Jenna ... anyone else who wants me to take stuff should give a shout out soon!
"This is what I do, darlin'. This is what I do." -- Mal Reynolds

'09 Triumph Bonneville
'02 Suzuki GZ250 (sold, may it have new journeys)

Tales from a solo ride: http://www.waywardrider.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Whiskeywrist
Barista of Doom

Post by Whiskeywrist » Fri May 28, 2010 10:31 pm

The original map posted has been refined, edited, and somewhat finalized- refer to it for daily roosting stops, and PM me for contact info if you don't have it yet.

PNW/ZK team is looking to be 6 deep, leaving Friday morning, and arriving in Denver Monday afternoon, via campsites CJP has graciously reserved/coordinated.

Karl, or any others trying to catch up, you should be able to find us with that info.
2014 Aprilia Tuono