SECURITY ADVISORY!
On 2020/11/18, suspicions were expressed that there had been a data breach.
At least some DisMembers' login data may have been compromised.

As of April 14, 2021, no further breach or news thereof has become apparent. This message just looks different because anyone who was gonna read the whole thing presumably did by now.

Please see announcement in Forum Stuff for details, and for how to change your password.
Click Here

Bus to Beelzebub

Heading to Ragnarök? Plan your ride/routes here.

Do you wanna get on the Bus to Beelzebub?

Hells yeah! Sounds great!
14%
Maybe, not sure of money or time yet.
14%
Fuck no! That's tantamount to trailering, YOU INFIDEL!
71%

Total votes: 7

Jaeger
Baron von Scrapple

Bus to Beelzebub

Post by Jaeger » Thu Jan 07, 2010 6:27 am

I cannot ride to the Rag for several reasons, not least of which I have a wedding to attend the 2nd weekend of the Rag. There are other reasons (mostly time) that will make it impossible for me to ride. That said, I want my own f'ing bike out there if at all possible.

I've talked to a few other folks about this -- I'm trying to gauge interest in the idea of renting a Penske truck, stuffing it with bikes, and having teams of drivers (one westbound, one eastbound) drive the truck full of bikes from the DC area to Denver and back.

In short: put your bike on the truck, get on a plane, fly to Denver. Bike appears, ride. End of week, put bike back on truck, fly home.

There is also the option to be part of the 2-man driving team. My thought is that 2 guys (or gals) could do the run in 2 days (easy) going in shifts.

Cost for renting the truck would be spread among the folks participating. Additionally, truck could serve as support vehicle for folks riding (in theory). Also, it could allow folks (Scotty) to bring more than one bike (Scotty) if they wanted (Scotty). :mrgreen:

To keep costs reasonable I'm guessing that we'll need AT LEAST 6 people involved to defray the cost, preferably more. That, and a total of 4 people to drive the damn thing (2 westbound, 2 eastbound -- I'll volunteer for the westbound leg).

If there's sufficient interest in this I'll do the homework and get real prices. I'm leaning more and more toward "not" just from the hassle factor, but I'd at least like to hear who's interested.

--Jaeger

Bigshankhank wrote:The world is a fucking wreck, but there is still sunshine in some places. Go outside and look for it.
<<NEUTIQUAM ERRO>>
2018 Indian Scout -- "Lilah"

roadmissile
Chief Marketing Schwaggerizer

Post by roadmissile » Sun Jan 10, 2010 2:12 am

I called you an infidel, but mostly just because it was an option. Depending on how this swings we should have a couple spares around come June...

/RM
/Speed is our religion.

"If requests are an option, I'd like to be hit by a beautiful and highly trained nurse, driving a marshmallow. Naked. And then she would buy me an ice cream." - Rev

MATPOC
The Unreasonable Ukranian

Post by MATPOC » Sun Jan 10, 2010 7:09 am

Jaeger,

I have been renting Penske trucks all week (moving shop) and have inquired about long mileage round trip rental unrelated to Rag, this is what I found

Best daily rate for 26" box is $50 a day ($45 with AAA) plus mileage, on a sub 1000 mile rental round trip local agent promised me $0.25 per mile, also on my own I estimate fuels cost is about same, about 12 mpg at under $3 a gallon, so $0.50 per mile total cost each way, about 2000 miles each way plus rental insurance and taxes I estimate $2500 total cost of rental, might be as much as $3000 if fuel price goes up by summer.

I want to go but can't get away for this long so flying is my only option.

Pattio
Centrifugal Savant of Two Wheel Transportation

Post by Pattio » Sun Jan 10, 2010 7:37 am

How many motorbikes will fit inside the box truck? I like the idea of being on the truck-driving team, or of meeting a truck somewhere en route where the terrain gets un-fun, say around Indanapolis or so... Sounds like getting the right number of oot-motos for cost-effectiveness is the key.
-Pattio-

Jaeger
Baron von Scrapple

Post by Jaeger » Sun Jan 10, 2010 8:08 am

Yeah, of course I put this poll up right when the board shat the bed -- typical.

MATPOC -- really? I've rented from Penske in the past and received free millage. Still, I'm expecting this to be pretty f'ing expensive -- which is why yes, Pattio is right, it's about how many folks wanna play. Without at least 10 folks giving a definite "hell yeah!" then it wont' be even remotely cost efficient... and even then it'd be a hundred bucks or so per bike to make it work.

The more I hear (or don't) about this, the more I think I may just have to rent something (we're already planning on renting a cage out there) and then throw myself on the mercy of my fellow Ootmics. While I'm partially going to ride around CO and enjoy the breathtaking scenery (and altitude... *gasp*), I'm mostly going out to sit around, drink beer/coffee and bullshit with all y'all fuckheads.

As Dan told me about the my first DOOM: "Most of the folks that ride in from some distance are so ass-broke that they don't wanna ride ANYWHERE once they get to DOOM -- they wanna sit around, drink, and bullshit." I suspect this will be largely the same. If anything I suspect that the dirtbike folks will have a field day on the campsite (a la Scooter Rally, hopefully sans faceplant), and that the road bikes will get an outing or two, but that the majority of folks will sit around and actually get some face time.

Suits me just fine. If I want to ride up and down mountains with a bunch of 'tards I have plenty of both right here in NoVA. :mrgreen:

I'll just beg someone to loan me a bike so I can take a few runs.

--Jaeger
Bigshankhank wrote:The world is a fucking wreck, but there is still sunshine in some places. Go outside and look for it.
<<NEUTIQUAM ERRO>>
2018 Indian Scout -- "Lilah"

MATPOC
The Unreasonable Ukranian

Post by MATPOC » Sun Jan 10, 2010 8:27 am

I think this might be the case, people will be drunk/sleeping all day with their bikes sitting idle and just asking to be borrowed.

As for free mileage, there is a free mileage option on a 1 way trip, but I was quoted $400+ for one way trip to Phily (350 miles) perhaps the rate is better to Denver. Still fuel cost will be $1000+ for round trip.

My bike gets 35 mpg at best so 4000 miles @ $2.75 per gallon is $315 in fuel cost, something to consider...

dozer
Hammer Time

Post by dozer » Sun Jan 10, 2010 2:05 pm

What is wrong with you people...You can all just fly out there, and ride bitch on my bike once you're there...
"All you lazy bastards, you don't build no castles!"
-Jim Bishop.
Sisyphus wrote: If, on the other hand, a full-on revolution starts within one year, you will provide me your mailing address and I will send you the balsa wood box for you to eat. Provided I haven't already eaten it. In which case I will send you an object of equal or lesser value that hasn't been eaten, provided it is as edible as balsa and is of nearly equvalent volume (empty).

Trav
Captain Delicious

Post by Trav » Sun Jan 17, 2010 3:00 pm

yea.. but I already got dibs on the way there, so don't even think about it.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/yKRtdgQhVbw&hl ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/yKRtdgQhVbw&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
"With the engine running in the neutral position, disengage the clutch (pull in-clutch lever), press down on the shift lever until low gear is engaged, remove foot from shift lever, increase engine speed slightly, slowly release clutch lever while advancing throttle. Repeat procedure for remaining gears."

WeAintFoundShit
Ayatollah of Mayhem

Post by WeAintFoundShit » Sun Mar 07, 2010 3:13 pm

FWIW, when I moved to Davis I stuffed 6 motorcycles in an average sized, 16 foot Uhaul and still had room for nearly everything I owned to go in on top of/with them.

Were it not for owning other things, I think I could have fit two or three more bikes.

The only problem with renting smaller vehicles like that is the tie down situation. Appropriate anchor points are a bitch in smaller rentals, because not all of them have slat walls.

The point is, if this gets done, it can be done with a much smaller rig than a 24" box truck, and hence, could be cheaper.

I hope we can all make it, and I hope people stop being stupid bitches before then so people all WANT to make it, and not just to have a grudge match/showdown with those whom they've argued with on the boards.
"The grip on the right is the fun regulator." -Donny Greene

I crash a lot.