SECURITY ADVISORY!
On 2020/11/18, suspicions were expressed that there had been a data breach.
At least some DisMembers' login data may have been compromised.

As of April 14, 2021, no further breach or news thereof has become apparent. This message just looks different because anyone who was gonna read the whole thing presumably did by now.

Please see announcement in Forum Stuff for details, and for how to change your password.
Click Here

There are two options before me.

Heading to Ragnarök? Plan your ride/routes here.
WeAintFoundShit
Ayatollah of Mayhem

There are two options before me.

Post by WeAintFoundShit » Sun Mar 07, 2010 2:53 pm

One: I don't end up having the money come summer, and I can't go to Ragnarok.

Two: I have the money, and I go to Ragnarok by way of LA, possibly Mexico, and then the Shadow of the Rockies trail from the Mexican border in Texas, through New Mexico (the trail is all dirt) all the way up to (what looks to be) pretty close to where we're holding the event.

It might be cutting it kind of close as far as arrival time goes, so we'll see what happens.

After Ragnarok and a bit of time in Denver, I would then continue my journey on the Trans America trail to the Oregon coast, head north to Orcas Island for some relaxation and time off the bike, then down to Burning Man for my job in the desert (and more riding).

I'm craving an adventure. Hopefully I can work this out.

"The grip on the right is the fun regulator." -Donny Greene

I crash a lot.

Gauss
Barista of Doom

Post by Gauss » Sun Mar 07, 2010 3:40 pm

My vote is for option 2 :P

Hope it works out, that sounds like a solid plan for great ride.
<a href="http://gauss.smugmug.com" target = blank>My Pics</a>

roadmissile
Chief Marketing Schwaggerizer

Post by roadmissile » Sun Mar 07, 2010 4:03 pm

Gauss wrote:My vote is for option 2 :P
Ditto, option two is filled with adventure and win, option one is just full of suck.

/RM
/Speed is our religion.

"If requests are an option, I'd like to be hit by a beautiful and highly trained nurse, driving a marshmallow. Naked. And then she would buy me an ice cream." - Rev

SomeMook
Ayatollah of Mayhem

Post by SomeMook » Sun Mar 07, 2010 7:35 pm

Gauss wrote:My vote is for option 2 :P

Hope it works out, that sounds like a solid plan for great ride.
Ditto, and you better take a camera.
All the unhappiness in the world is caused by self-delusion. -E.H.

guitargeek
Master Metric Necromancer

Post by guitargeek » Sun Mar 07, 2010 8:10 pm

Yeah, Option #1 is dildos.
Elitist, arrogant, intolerant, self-absorbed.
Midliferider wrote:Wish I could wipe this shit off my shoes but it's everywhere I walk. Dang.
Pattio wrote:Never forget, as you enjoy the high road of tolerance, that it is those of us doing the hard work of intolerance who make it possible for you to shine.
xtian wrote:Sticking feathers up your butt does not make you a chicken

WeAintFoundShit
Ayatollah of Mayhem

Post by WeAintFoundShit » Mon Mar 08, 2010 12:18 am

Yeah, the problem is that, unless I get my finances settled (which requires getting my ankle condition settled, so I can get my insurance settlement... settled) then I have to go to summer school in order to pay my bills. I am going rounds with doctors old and new with the ankle/insurance thing, and if this new treatment works, then it should be golden. If not...

Guess what day summer school starts!

Yeah, same day as the Rag.

I bet no one realized that we were all going to be going on the rag on the exact same day.

I crash a lot.

Zer0
Professor of Poop

Post by Zer0 » Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:06 am

WeAintFoundShit wrote:

I bet no one realized that we were all going to be going on the rag on the exact same day.
EXACTLY my problem, Shit. Because of the fucked up budget and the paucity of funding our action figure pro-education governator is allotting our schools, summer session at my school is gonna be 6 weeks, not the usual 10. So I have now only those 6 weeks to make my family's entire summer income, not the usuial 10. And thre Rag would make it 5 weeks. Not looking good.

But with option 2 you have plenty of peeps in LA area to offer you a place to sleep.
'74 R90/6--Thor
'05 Sportster 1200--FrankenRat
My boy D when he was 4 wrote:Bones aren't important--we like motorcycles.
High Kommand wrote:That's the problem with giving a bike a girl's name. Too much temptation to lay it down to examine the undercarriage...

WeAintFoundShit
Ayatollah of Mayhem

Post by WeAintFoundShit » Fri Mar 12, 2010 12:12 am

Zer0 wrote:
WeAintFoundShit wrote:

EXACTLY my problem, Shit. Because of the fucked up budget and the paucity of funding our action figure pro-education governator is allotting our schools, summer session at my school is gonna be 6 weeks, not the usual 10. So I have now only those 6 weeks to make my family's entire summer income, not the usuial 10. And thre Rag would make it 5 weeks. Not looking good.

But with option 2 you have plenty of peeps in LA area to offer you a place to sleep.
Blech. Stupid education funding collapse.

As far a places to stay in LA: Indeed, and shucking some street tires on my thumper, then riding it down the 1 from SF to LA sounds like a hoot.
I'm trying to work out the logistics in my head. I'd want to buy some street shoes, ride the 1, then hot foot it over to Big Bend (I'm sort of guessing that's roughly where the trail starts). Find a shop to swap the slicks for some D606's and ride to the Rag.

I only hope it all can happen. (Or hell, that even SOME can happen.)

I crash a lot.

Zer0
Professor of Poop

Post by Zer0 » Fri Mar 12, 2010 11:01 am

WeAintFoundShit wrote: Find a shop to swap the slicks for some D606's and ride to the Rag.
Just called my shop where I get my Metzelers. They carry D606's. They always have competitive prices and mount for free if you buy from them. Good people. A little Mom n Pop.
'74 R90/6--Thor
'05 Sportster 1200--FrankenRat
My boy D when he was 4 wrote:Bones aren't important--we like motorcycles.
High Kommand wrote:That's the problem with giving a bike a girl's name. Too much temptation to lay it down to examine the undercarriage...

dozer
Hammer Time

Post by dozer » Fri Mar 12, 2010 11:20 am

I just got my tax refund, and some moneys from school, and I am really looking at a situation with two options looking very similar to yours. This is going to require considerable thriftyness on my part, but fuck, if there is a goddamn modicum of a way that I'm making it out to the rag, and then to Zeros house, I'm doing it. Hope it works out for you too sir.
"All you lazy bastards, you don't build no castles!"
-Jim Bishop.
Sisyphus wrote: If, on the other hand, a full-on revolution starts within one year, you will provide me your mailing address and I will send you the balsa wood box for you to eat. Provided I haven't already eaten it. In which case I will send you an object of equal or lesser value that hasn't been eaten, provided it is as edible as balsa and is of nearly equvalent volume (empty).

WeAintFoundShit
Ayatollah of Mayhem

Post by WeAintFoundShit » Sun Mar 14, 2010 1:44 am

Zer0 wrote:
WeAintFoundShit wrote: Find a shop to swap the slicks for some D606's and ride to the Rag.
Just called my shop where I get my Metzelers. They carry D606's. They always have competitive prices and mount for free if you buy from them. Good people. A little Mom n Pop.
I appreciate the heads up and the research, but I'd need to keep the street shoes on until Texas. I've got a good pair of 606's on right now, but if I rode them to Texas by way of hwy 1 and LA, well...

The logistics of this trip are already boggling. One of my major things is fucking fuel range. The tank on the KLX is stupid tiny, and it's the street version for which there are no aftermarket ones. I have thought of a few other places I could stash auxiliary tanks, but I'm still worried that it wouldn't be enough to get me the 180 miles I would need to cover on dirt roads between fuel stops in Nevada.

The second thing is luggage. I've got no clue who'd make a good pannier and top case for a KLX.

Many, many things to think about.

I crash a lot.

Rench
the Harm in Harmony

Post by Rench » Sun Mar 14, 2010 5:53 am

Fuel: get a couple of large-ish MSR bottles. Strap down where/as necessary.

Luggage: I know you dual sport guys like to carry tools and all other manner of shit, but generally, I bet you can fit everything into a good packpack which you may already own, and strap it properly to your tail section.

Cost: cheap.

:mrgreen:

-Rench
"I'm not a schemer..."

"Do you know why it's illegal to put gasoline in a glass container?" - Piccinni

WeAintFoundShit
Ayatollah of Mayhem

Post by WeAintFoundShit » Sun Mar 14, 2010 11:55 am

I plan on doing MSR bottles for sure. I can also move my radiator overflow to where the stock tool kit is right now (since that tool kit is a worthless bucket of shit anyway) and put an auxiliary tank underneath the left rear plastic where the overflow is.
I've seen fuel tanks that replace your shroud panels, but as far as finding one for the klx, that sounds tricky.
I could also TRY to find the big Acerbis tank for the KLX650R, but then I'd need to find an R seat, as well.

There are times when I think I'd be better off selling this bike, and getting something with an aftermarket. When I think about trips like this, it becomes pretty appealing.

I've got soft luggage, but that won't cut it for a trip like this (the tail bag, yes, but the side bags, no; one crash and they're done for).

And yeah, tools... I plan on carrying a load of them. There's just something to be said for being broken down out in the middle of the desert, 90 miles from the nearest human being, and being able to fix your bike. Call me crazy. ;)

I crash a lot.

WeAintFoundShit
Ayatollah of Mayhem

Post by WeAintFoundShit » Thu May 13, 2010 4:40 pm

So I registered for summer school the other day...

I crash a lot.