Another ongoing project.

The place to come if you've been with us for years or it's your first time here. General yakking about anything motorcycle related. Think of it as the internet coffeehouse for the UTMC.
Bigshankhank
Fully Autonomous Cock-Puncher

Another ongoing project.

Post by Bigshankhank » Sun Jan 29, 2006 5:07 am

Spent yesterday changing fluids on the sportster, although I still need to finish the pipes but I can't stop riding it as the weather has been so nice. But once my girlfriend saw me working on my bike she sniped about me finishing hers, so I got motivated and put the rear fender and seat back on. It's not done yet, I have a spare tank which needs paint and decals, but it's stripped and primed so concievably it could be done soon. I also have a replacement seat cover, but as it sits here it can be ridden. I want to replace the brake pads and chain before she starts riding it, but it is on new tires. Fun little bike, but geared LOW! Man, first gear lasts forever.

Another cheapo eBay find, 1972 Honda CL175, had been on the back of the guy's grandparents RV till they passed, sat in his garage till he didn't care anymore. Only 3100 miles on the clock. It ran roughly when I picked it up, pipes, wheels and bodywork were generally undented and free of rust, really all I've done is tune it up and repaint. The rattlecan results are good from far, but don't look too closely.

It's time for Humankind to ditch the imaginary friends of our species' childhood and grow the fuck up.
-Davros

"Lasse mich deine Seele dem Herrscher der Finsternis opfern"

Let me sacrifice your soul to the ruler of darkness

Always carry a bottle of whiskey when you travel in case of a snakebite. Futhermore, always carry a small snake.

Rock
Superfudge!

Post by Rock » Sun Jan 29, 2006 8:11 am

Looks nice!!!!

Bigshankhank

Re: Another ongoing project.

Post by Bigshankhank » Fri May 29, 2020 10:18 am

I knew I had started a thread on here about this bike. Yes we still have it. My wife (I bought this when she was merely my girlfriend) rode this with great joy for years, then when I started my son riding on his KE100 I put knobbies on this and stripped off the lights and would ride around with him. As such, it suffered a little abuse but overall maintained its stature. Now that my wife decided she didn't like the 250 Ninja enough to keep it, she has requested I snarfle this thing back in to shape. So with naught but time on my hands in the RV by my lonesome, I started in on it last night.
Really it needs cleaning more than anything, but to do it right I am going to pull the engine and respray the frame and replace the harness since it seems to be plagued with electrical gremlins and new harnesses with LED upgrades can be had for under $200. Plus repaint the tank that I fucked up by pouring acid on it while stripping the interior for a sealer.
What it needs;
-Thorough chassis cleaning
-Poor man's respray of the frame
-New wiring harness
-Helicoil one of the exhaust studs
-Vapor/steam clean the entire engine
-Repaint the painted engine covers
-Repaint tank
-Repair cracked sidecovers
-New tubes & tires
-New chain & Sprockets
-Replace fork seals
-Grease stem bearings
-Clean oil slinger
-Clean carbs
-Maybe swingarm bushings?

Anyway, finagled the lovely but aggravating scrambler pipes off the bike and on to the floor, as well as the footpeg bracket and a few small parts. And given enough time, I went at one of the exhaust collars with some cleaner and a Dremel with good results.
It's time for Humankind to ditch the imaginary friends of our species' childhood and grow the fuck up.
-Davros

Always carry a bottle of whiskey when you travel in case of a snakebite. Futhermore, always carry a small snake.

Jaeger
Baron von Scrapple

Post by Jaeger » Fri May 29, 2020 12:21 pm

Jebus, man, from 2006? This thread is FOURTEEN FUCKING YEARS OLD and you pulled it out?!

Well done. :mrgreen:

--Jaeger
Bigshankhank wrote:The world is a fucking wreck, but there is still sunshine in some places. Go outside and look for it.
<<NEUTIQUAM ERRO>>
2018 Indian Scout -- "Lilah"

Bigshankhank

Post by Bigshankhank » Fri May 29, 2020 1:00 pm

Jaeger wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 12:21 pm

Jebus, man, from 2006? This thread is FOURTEEN FUCKING YEARS OLD and you pulled it out?!

Well done. :mrgreen:

--Jaeger
You have to pull out at that age.

STOP FUCKING THROWING THINGS AT ME, HE SAID IT!!
-Davros

DerGolgo
Zaphod's Zeitgeist

Post by DerGolgo » Sat May 30, 2020 1:50 pm

Heck.
Couldn't your beloved give the Ninja one or two years to prove itself?
Then you could have resurrected a 16 year old thread. A thread old enough to get a license and ride.
If there were absolutely anything to be afraid of, don't you think I would have worn pants?

I said I have a big stick.

Bigshankhank

Post by Bigshankhank » Sun May 31, 2020 12:59 pm

I mean, since we are all here again, I should continue...
It being such a nice day today here in the Appalachians, I decided to roll this bike out of the back of the RV and start stripping it down with the hopes of pulling the engine. I had to forethought to bring the factory service manual with me when I came, but only have a limited toolset. I hope its enough.
Pulled the tank in what can only be described as a "oh fuck I forgot there was gas in here!" kind of moment. Actually at this point I was still working INSIDE the RV and kind of made my mind up about perhaps moving outside to continue to work.
From there it was chain off, carbs off, take a ton of photos of how the wiring harness is routed so I can order and install the replacement, then start removing engine mounts.
Which truth be told the harness is rather simple (jinx!) with only one fuse.

At this point the property manager of the RV park came by on his golf cart and gave me the side eye so I told him I was just doing a clutch adjustment and off he putted. I don't trust this guy, he snitched on me for driving my ATV a few Sundays ago and I had to load it up and take it off property, so I worry what kind of shitty email I will be recieving on Monday. Anyway, seeing as I didn't have the requisite 14mm socket to remove the remaining engine mounts (everything on this bike is typically 8/10/12mm except these two) I rolled it back inside and away from prying eyes.
Remember, snitches get stitches.
-Davros

Bigshankhank

Post by Bigshankhank » Tue Jun 02, 2020 5:56 pm

Engine out. Gotta fab up some plugs for the intake and exhaust and go nuts with the pressure washer this weekend.
-Davros