Ever onward, since it is summertime and hurricane season here in Florida that means this is the time of year when we park our bikes and enjoy the conditioned air of our cages for a few months till the weather settles down. Since I had been chasing leaks on this bike last time I rode it, I actually parked it and was getting more acquainted with the OG Duke. I finally decided screw it and pulled out the tools to help get this poor thing ready for the fall riding season. Hey I heard the IMS show is supposed to be back on the road this fall and one of the shows is in Lakeland about 30 miles from me.
Anyway, primary drive leaks, nefarious buggers but the fluid is more viscous than motor oil so it takes longer to leech into the concrete garage floor. Still, bad stuff and I don't want to convert this bike to a dry clutch just yet so wrenching began! I didn't get any pictures of it but I pulled the primary drive cover on the left side of the engine and replaced the gasket therein. Also replaced the primary drive adjuster shoe because this being a Harley form the 80's of course it has a large block of delrin roughly the size and shape of an orthopedic shoe. It doesn't matter where it is, but just of course if any bike would have any part that could be described thusly it would be a 1980 Harley. Along the way I noticed a stripped bolt so I heli-coiled that bad boy, replaced the cover gasket, buttoned it up and refilled it. No leaks there anymore. Next step was to walk around and get to the main shaft gasket. Behind the front drive sprocket there is a metal retainer with an oil seal that rides on a shoulder on the back of the sprocket itself, and behind that retainer is a thin rubber gasket. Someone somewhere in the life of this bike had serviced this before because there was a layer of blue silicone on the gasket, but the real problem was in the lip of the retainer. I am guessing that a small rock had wedge itself between the backside of the sprocket and the retainer because there was a goodly dent in the retainer and the oil seal was torn.
Well a hammer, a drift and the flat side of my large vice and I was able to straight it out, replaced the seal and gasket and reinstalled it (dry this time, no silicone) and topped off the primary fluid that had leaked out again and left it upright on a rear stand over a clean spot on the floor. Checked it the next day and everything remained nice and clean.
So, with that sorted, I pulled it out of the garage, aired up the tires, plugged in the battery and ripped around my neighborhood for a few miles to shake it down. Its back in the garage now on the clean area of the floor and I will check it again tomorrow morning. Fingers crossed here.
I did notice that the front intake tappet cover is leaking engine oil, and there are small oil leaks at the rocker bolt covers but otherwise the engine looks dryer than ladies night at Bill Cosby's house and I hope to keep it that way.
If I'm lucky, I should be able to replace the tappet cover gasket without pulling off the head. If not well then shit, I may as well do a full top-end job and replace the gaskets all the way down to the base which I really don't want to do.
It's time for Humankind to ditch the imaginary friends of our species' childhood and grow the fuck up.
"Lasse mich deine Seele dem Herrscher der Finsternis opfern"
Let me sacrifice your soul to the ruler of darkness
Always carry a bottle of whiskey when you travel in case of a snakebite. Futhermore, always carry a small snake.