LOGIN ISSUES
Because I've presently got technical incompetences with the board, password resets presently do not work automatic like.
If you can't login, click here please.
Show
If you have any problem logging in, please don't bother waiting and get in touch. Email right to the usual address (admin at...), use the contact form (bottom of index and most other pages), post in the Midget Circus, or message me directly on Facebook.
I should get the message within a few hours, but under rare circumstances, it might take me a day.

If you can login no problem, but you wish to avoid problem, try checking the "Remember Me" box where you login. I've meddled with the settings there, so even if you return here only once every couple of weeks, it should remember you fine. Provided you have cookies enabled.

If it won't remember you, and you want to be sure any failure to remember is actually such and not just an oops, please read the following (click the bar to make it "show").
Important infos about cookies
Show
To be remembered, you must have cookies enabled in your browser. Some people prefer using "private" browsing mode - which precludes cookies being placed on your device in the first place.
Some people use regular browsing mode, but may have chosen to disable all cookies in their settings. Sometimes, these people will end up tearing their hair out because a lot of websites just don't work at all, like many online stores, as many e-commerce platforms don't do bugger all without using cookies.
Me, I've got "Self-Destructing Cookies" plugins in my various browsers. Which lets me accept all cookies everywhere, smug in the knowledge that they will be deleted the instant I close that browser tab. I can even set it to delete the cookies only when I close the whole browser window, which is helpful with online stores.
And I can whitelist sites like the board, so the plugin doesn't mess with those cookies at all.

And you must use the same browser, on the same machine. Unless you're using something like a cookie manager that syncs to all your devices and things, your apple browser on your ipad won't have the delicious cookies chrome has on your PC. And unless google now manages cookies between your devices (who knows what the fuck they do), even chrome on your Android won't have the same cookies as chrome on your notebook, or chrome on your other Android.
If you wish to discuss this, follow this link.

SECURITY WHATNOW?
Once upon a when, we've had a data breach (maybe).
Click here if you don't know what that's about.
Show
If you've visited the forum at any time after November 18, 2020, you will have seen the message about a supposed data breach that may have exposed passwords. I know you will have seen it because, until today, there was a big general announcement right at the top of the everything.
Seeing how it's been nearly 18 months since that, with no further alarms getting rung, and how everyone has had 758,214 opportunities to take a minute to think about the security of their passwords, I've taken that notice down.
Follow this link for all the info that has transpired about the whole mess.

You may dismiss this message by clicking the dark X in the top right hand corner. You may have to mouse-over to see it. I assure you it's there.

18 freaking years!

The place to come if you've been with us for years or it's your first time here. General yakking about anything motorcycle related. Think of it as the internet coffeehouse for the UTMC.
red
Yap. Doomed for all eternity.

18 freaking years!

Post by red » Sun May 29, 2022 6:34 pm

I just noticed, that this Nov, I will have been on this board for 18 years. That's nuts. Not a brag, because I know there are many that have been around far longer than me, just a holy crap moment.

Let's see.... 18 years ago, I was living with a girlfriend, owned a 71 CL450 that didn't run. Didn't know much about bikes but knew enough about mechanic work to be dangerous. So, I started one of those "at home" motorcycle repair courses. It actually wasn't too bad, got some OK tools out of it too. Managed to search the web for rat bikes, and other 2 wheeled weirdos, and what do I find? The goodly UTMC!

I remember the old page had individual profiles for some people, with lots of late 90's style edgy graphics and filters/effects. I loved reading the articles and stories. Dreaming about riding all over the country on my $120 Honda that seemed to fight my every attempt at resurrection. Never did get that bike road worthy.

Here I am, all those years later. Married (thankfully not to the girl I was living with back then), couple of kiddos, and a $250 Honda in the garage! But this one actually runs (just not dialed in yet).

Thanks to all those that have helped me out along the way.

Proud Survivor From Thread Hole 64 Campaign
1987 CBR600F Hurricane Sprawl Bike
-=High Tech / Low Life=-

DerGolgo
Zaphod's Zeitgeist

Re: 18 freaking years!

Post by DerGolgo » Wed Jun 01, 2022 6:44 am

It's crazy how long this group has been around, it's crazy that we still are. The board is only a catalyst for the people, some of whom come by semi regular like, some of whom I consider on hiatus (BBC style). The Midget Circus picks up a bunch of that slack, too.
I can't really imagine what it would be like without all y'all.

When I originally found this place, I was either still in the service, or had recently started uni. Some memories I got let me narrow it down there. I'm certain it was a while after I graduated secondary education.

Germany had still had conscription back then (technically, we still do, but it's presently suspended).
I was a conscientious objector, my conscience prohibiting me from killing people without so much as an introduction, from playing enforcer for neoliberal fanatics, and from joining anything where I'd have to shower and sleep in a room with people who'd think it their divine right, nay obligation, indeed a tremendous sacrifice, to fat-shame me and bully me for being a weirdo.
Before my time, anyone trying to object had to stand before a tribunal and justify. Explaining how he'd act if the Russian came in and raped their girlfriend right in front of them. That is not a tasteless joke, that is a scenario that such tribunals actually used to trap guys into "admitting" they weren't really opposed to violence.

Lucky me, when it was my turn, sans Soviets, about 50% of conscripts objected, and all it took was a free-form letter, explaining why my conscience wouldn't let me. A classmate had written such an extraordinary letter, he got it back. With a note to try again, and make an effort this time. I think he's a teacher now.

I had been hopeful I might be found unfit on medical grounds. Had a whole pile of proper documentation, from my allergy-pass to x-rays of my bad back, and some stuff in between.
But in my county(-equivalent), the fraction of young men who were found unfit was so big that, before the last quarter of a year, they took anyone who wasn‘t in a wheelchair, and wasn‘t missing any limbs. They had to make quota.
My birthday was (and I guess still is) in mid December, so I got to rock up at the draft board in January. Yay.

The whole show got me the most extraordinary letters. One that found me fit for service with limitations, and a whole list of military duties with boxes ticked or not. "No gas mask" was ticked, because of allergies. I could have been a tank mechanic, but not a tank crewman. Nor an airplane-instrument mechanic. Guess either gotta fit inside the vehicle. Other job options were paper pusher or even musician in the army band. :roll:

The letter other is the only government letter I have yet seen that explicitly grants anything irrevocably. The being that I was officially and irrevocably recognizes as a conscientious objector and could not ever be made to serve with a weapon.
It did explain that, in case of war, I could still be conscripted for certain unarmed duties, though. Being a nurse was mentioned, as was mine-clearing. :Jeez:

I still had to serve in some capacity, just not in the Bundeswehr.
So when I found this place, I was probably working crazy hours at a home for people with mental disabilities, making meals and wiping butts for 11 months, instead of 10 months of armed service.

At uni, for the first semester or two, the dorm didn't have internet yet, and I'd have surfed here either on a weekend visit home, or during one of the breaks at the end of each semester.

The original board, such as you, @red, ever knew it, began life on April 4, 2004 (a Sunday). Or maybe the night before. I know I registered as soon as I could access it, and the database ever knew me as member #42 (not kidding - when I found out and laughed like a crazy pers... like me, I laughed like me. I still had the green H2G2-smiley avatar, I think). With the amount of traffic the board had then, even before its peak which came a few years later, I must have been a fairly early registrant to get that dismember number.

Back then, the board's "who's online" thing would show someone online, any time I visited I'm sure. Well, someone other than me, obviously. Even with the time difference between me and the majority of y'all. At times, dozens, nay hundreds of registered users would be surfing the board at the same time. The vast, vast majority only ever lurking, not ever posting once, though. I'm sure they, like me, had been drawn in by the old front page and Dan's great writing, after stumbling over here by way of the ratbike forum. And to be fair, there was plenty of stuff getting posted that was worth a read.

That old front page, and the original original board, had been run by Dan himself, if I recall. I think I never even introduced myself there. I had registered, lurked, and one day saw someone talking about something I felt I had something to say about (not claiming I had anything to contribute, actually).
The board had been a sickeningly bright place (if there had been an option to change skin, I never knew), and was eventually lost to the spammers with all contents. I dimly recall checking back on the old URL a few weeks or so after the ascension of brother Blackjoe, I think I had been looking for some specific post. I vividly recall that every corner of the original original board had been so flooded with link farming and other general spam, I couldn't locate any legit posts. :cry:

If you really wanna freak out a little. And ANYBODY ELSE, too.
Brother Blackjoe ran the board from about April 4, 2004. After he had begun requesting applicants for his succession, and had graciously selected me from the sea of applicants (ahem), we started moving the board and all its contents to the new host I had picked out. After completing the...doing a setup, and setting up our all fancy new domain, I finally took charge on October 19, 2013.
Blackjoe had been steering the ship for 9 years, 6 months, and 15 days.

Now, if you go and add 9 years to 2013, you're gonna be a little terrified.
It'll actually not be this year. I've only caught up to November 15, 2012.
But on May 5, 2023, a Friday, I will have been "running" the board exactly as long as brother Blackjoe ever did. :shock:
If there were absolutely anything to be afraid of, don't you think I would have worn pants?

I said I have a big stick.

Jaeger
Baron von Scrapple

Post by Jaeger » Thu Jun 02, 2022 10:25 am

Yeah, I still remember how I found this place ("NUKE AND PAVE"), and even all these years later it's "home."

Fuck FB, et al. If the web spiders and all that want to look at my history, they'll have to at least work for it and dig into here. ;)

For all folks complain about the ailments of social media and the like, dammit, the old-school boards like this still work just fine!!! No, we don't have an app for the phone -- and I wouldn't fucking want one!

Thanks again, DerG, for keeping this place afloat.

--Jaeger
Bigshankhank wrote:The world is a fucking wreck, but there is still sunshine in some places. Go outside and look for it.
<<NEUTIQUAM ERRO>>
2018 Indian Scout -- "Lilah"

mtne
Holy DAG Master

Post by mtne » Mon Jul 25, 2022 4:01 pm

Huh, I have to wonder what was lost when the first two iterations of the board got nuked in the early days.......
How can it be fun if there's not at least an outside chance of dying?
07' KTM 950 SE
08' Husky TE610 - Everything a KLR wants to be...
Yeah I'm a Bike Slut in remission
SmugMug pictures here, Save $5 when you join SmugMug by using this coupon zu0heHHhx9sjM
http://www.bikeshareworld.com

Jaeger
Baron von Scrapple

Post by Jaeger » Tue Jul 26, 2022 6:01 am

mtne wrote:
Mon Jul 25, 2022 4:01 pm
Huh, I have to wonder what was lost when the first two iterations of the board got nuked in the early days.......
I think BlackJoe and DerG salvaged most if not all of it, though I wasn't around for the very-very beginning.

--Jaeger
Bigshankhank wrote:The world is a fucking wreck, but there is still sunshine in some places. Go outside and look for it.
<<NEUTIQUAM ERRO>>
2018 Indian Scout -- "Lilah"

problemaddict
Captain of the UTMC Fighter Squadron

Post by problemaddict » Wed Jul 27, 2022 4:51 am

It's fun and nostalgic to read through the old shit:

https://www.utmc-forum.org/veryoldfront ... itled.html

Thanks to DG and the archive forum posted at the bottom of the current front page.

DerGolgo
Zaphod's Zeitgeist

Post by DerGolgo » Tue Aug 02, 2022 7:14 am

Jaeger wrote:
Tue Jul 26, 2022 6:01 am
mtne wrote:
Mon Jul 25, 2022 4:01 pm
I think BlackJoe and DerG salvaged most if not all of it, though I wasn't around for the very-very beginning.

--Jaeger
I think there may have been a nuking after BJ had taken over, but long before I did. And I'm pretty sure that, at most, there was a partial loss, a few days worth of posting.
I know I personally did a bollocks up at some point, and had to restore from backup. Like, several times in a day, to fix stuff. But the loss then, iirc, was only a day or two, in an era when that meant just a small handful of posts at the most.

As for the remnants of the 2nd iteration: Iirc, BJ migrated the entire database to the new server. So everything that was posted and still existed on the 2nd iteration of the board migrated to this 3rd iteration. Apart from most of BJ's own posts, which were removed at his request (or maybe he did that himself, I don't recall exactly, but he once had a few more than just 5 posts).
I just checked, BJ's original testing-thread, from the forum setting upping, still exists. Dates back to 2004/03/29. Exactly 6,700 days ago, as it happens.

This doth mess up my calculations. I don't know whether I had noticed earlier, but the date I had miscalculated, 2023/05/05, is kinda Illuminati, RAW, Karl Koch sort of business. 5 being the digit sum of 23, which in turn is the og conspirabollocks number.

Correcting the date, BJ had been in charge for 3,491 days.
Adding that to my ascension on 2013/10/19, we'll celebr... commemorate the overtaking on 2023/05/11. Lost one five.
If there were absolutely anything to be afraid of, don't you think I would have worn pants?

I said I have a big stick.