SECURITY ADVISORY!
On 2020/11/18, suspicions were expressed that there had been a data breach.
At least some DisMembers' login data may have been compromised.

As of April 14, 2021, no further breach or news thereof has become apparent. This message just looks different because anyone who was gonna read the whole thing presumably did by now.

Please see announcement in Forum Stuff for details, and for how to change your password.
Click Here

long distance nutz

The place to come if you've been with us for years or it's your first time here. General yakking about anything motorcycle related. Think of it as the internet coffeehouse for the UTMC.
rhetorik
El Asbestos Pajamas

long distance nutz

Post by rhetorik » Thu May 13, 2010 9:39 pm

hello all,

does anyone know anyone who has rode to chile? dont ask me how I could afford this or why. but I want to ride to chile. I have been in albuquerque for the last few months working a decent but short-term-looking-job and have an ill father. I may spend some time with dad and depending on the near future I might say fuck gps and political borders and ride to antofagasta. its still the new world down there, not europe and hostels are full of foreigners no matter where you are. Only thing, google maps dont show any major roads for a 100 mile stretch between panama and columbia. am I just crazy or has someone done this. (since the 70s?)

Hello, I'm Vehement

roadmissile
Chief Marketing Schwaggerizer

Post by roadmissile » Fri May 14, 2010 12:52 am

Adv rider is probably a better place for this kind of info, although if we have any members that have ridden to south america I'd sure love to hear about it....

/RM
/Speed is our religion.

"If requests are an option, I'd like to be hit by a beautiful and highly trained nurse, driving a marshmallow. Naked. And then she would buy me an ice cream." - Rev

Photo
Bacon Torpedo

Re: long distance nutz

Post by Photo » Fri May 14, 2010 1:41 am

rhetorik wrote:hello all,

does anyone know anyone who has rode to chile? Only thing, google maps dont show any major roads for a 100 mile stretch between panama and columbia. am I just crazy or has someone done this. (since the 70s?)
You are aware of the "Darien Gap", yes? Still roadless and fulla drug mercs. and FARC people. Not a friendly zone. Most buy a ferry ticket somewhere outside Panama City for that stretch. I'm not buying that it's totally safe to travel in Columbia without getting your bike snatched at gunpoint, but where else is, anymore? Sounds like a fun trip at any rate!

I've met this guy, Greg Frazier, and he's a pretty good egg. He's also been round the world on a motorbike, 5.35 times, now:
http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/gregfrazier/new.shtml
His posts tell some great stories.

Check out the Horizons Unlimited BBS (The HUBB) at:
http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/
Lots of folks who've been there on two wheels that could lend some ideas of current climate for travel, borders, etc. I can only travel like this in my dreams, as I'm still paying a mortgage. I'm playing the lotto though, and I'm hopeful...
"Brought to you, by Carl's Jr."

rolly
Tim Horton hears a Who?

Post by rolly » Fri May 14, 2010 6:21 am

Also, this subforum is for planning rides to a thing called Ragnarock, not rides in general. Notice how it's in a section titled "Event: The Murder at Raganaroack June 2010". You want Rants & Rides.

WeAintFoundShit
Ayatollah of Mayhem

Post by WeAintFoundShit » Fri May 14, 2010 10:14 am

Hard to build roads in a swamp. Gotta take a boat to Columbia.

But I DO feel ya on wanting to point it south and disappear for a while. It's been on my mind for a couple of years now.
"The grip on the right is the fun regulator." -Donny Greene

I crash a lot.

MATPOC
The Unreasonable Ukranian

Post by MATPOC » Fri May 14, 2010 3:27 pm

Couple of our cycling buddies to celebrate on of them turning 50 rode their Bicycles to Columbia few years back, I think it took 60 days. No major issues, they told me roads there were better than in North America, one of them mentioned that he only had 5 flat tires in 5000+ miles, pretty good for paper thin tires

rhetorik
El Asbestos Pajamas

Post by rhetorik » Sat Jun 19, 2010 9:14 am

well,
I've tried 10 times to register with ADVrider (i've already got 20 fkn user names and passwords out there, I cant remember another), and they make it impossible to satisfy their stupid registration. I mean, how many damn rhetorik's/rhetoric34's are out there? Are there so many damned people on the planet that theres not enough vocabulary, in any languange, to go around as user names and passwords? Tell an ADVrider systems admin to read this. I just want to figure out how to get from Panama to Columbia without losing my bike or getting shot. Any suggestions.
Hello, I'm Vehement

Jonny
Sausage Pirate

Post by Jonny » Sat Jun 19, 2010 3:22 pm

rhetorik wrote:I just want to figure out how to get from Panama to Columbia without losing my bike or getting shot. Any suggestions.
Photo wrote:Most buy a ferry ticket somewhere outside Panama City for that stretch.
Does that help?

Sisyphus
Rigging the Ancient Mariner

Post by Sisyphus » Sat Jun 19, 2010 3:48 pm

IME, and my E has nothing to do with motorcycling in third world countries, you should just show up, make friends with the locals, and then start asking questions about the best way to do it. Have plenty of money for bribing officials. If you ride through Mexico, by the time you get to Panama you should have plenty of Spanish and experience to know when you're being shaken down and/or asked for a bribe to get what you need.

Good luck.
Sent from my POS laptop plugged into the wall

Beemer Dan
Dark Poohbah

Post by Beemer Dan » Sat Jun 19, 2010 4:59 pm

I used to know this groovy hippy by the name of Roberto who rode his 1976 R90 BMW all over the world, and he'd done Mexico, Central and South America many times. He has incredible stories from those journeys, and if anyone could tell you how to do the trip in one piece and meet all of the really nice folx down there, it would be him.

Only problem is that I haven't been able to track him down in years, I don't think he does the whole cell phone/email/internet thing.

If I can track him down I'll send him your way, he'd likely do the ride with you if you wanted.
They swore it was the correct one, but swearing doesn't make a sprocket fit where it doesn't want to. --WeAintFoundShit

rhetorik
El Asbestos Pajamas

Post by rhetorik » Mon Jun 21, 2010 5:23 pm

Thanks to all for the help. Great info from everyone. Anyone from El Paso or New Orleans? I will be in EP over the 4th of July (gotta see fireworks next to Juarez) and in New Orleans in the coming week after that. Hope all is well with everyone.
Hello, I'm Vehement

steelsculptor
Maltov Rattlecan

Post by steelsculptor » Mon Jun 21, 2010 8:17 pm

I know a girl who knows a guy who just rode around south america. pm me so I don't forget and I'll drop her a line.

I know some folks who've had problems in columbia. be very careful there. be completely off the road and settled somewhere safe by the time the sun even thinks about setting.

I know some folks or could put you in touch with folks from nicaragua, maybe some other countries as well down there, but it's only a maybe. Watch out for paperwork and bribes for the whole trip - they can be a nightmare and cause serious headaches....

Have a great trip!!!!!!!