DOOM 2012 Date Confirmed Oct 5,6,7

Planning a gathering? Post the details here!
AZRider
"I said THREE motorcycles worth of Fuck You!"

DOOM 2012 Date Confirmed Oct 5,6,7

Post by AZRider » Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:46 pm

IMPORTANT!!!

Columbus Day Weekend is October 6,7,8 NOT October 12, 13, 14!

ARE WE GOING TO STICK TO THE COLUMBUS DAY WEEKEND TRADITION, OR ARE PEOPLE COMMITTED TO THE WEEKEND AFTER?

I've looked for news about the scooter rally, and nothing's been updated on the Soul Survivors' website, but the chatter in other forums is all saying Columbus Day weekend.

Gostaz said he'd booked the time off from work already, Rhinoviper was looking for flights. Are people already locked in to October 12, 13, 14, or is there still time to discuss?

I'm OK since my employer lets us work a holiday and take the comp day within a week or two, but others may stand to lose a day if we do the later weekend.
Last edited by AZRider on Thu Aug 16, 2012 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

"The hell with the zombie apocalypse, the douchebag apocalypse is upon us and their numbers are growing."-Mean Chuck
"Don't sweat the buckshot." - Buttzilla
"--Really.. I AM a nice guy by preference. I do, however, have other options." - Merlyn

rolly
Tim Horton hears a Who?

Post by rolly » Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:56 pm

I got the impression from those who went to the scooter rally last year that it was totally missable (no gymkhana or silly races- maybe someone decided they were unsafe for some reason, and no Davros) so perhaps we don't to lend the NSP date much weight. Also, has Doom always fallen on Colombus day, or did that just kind of happen the last couple years? I don't remember it being mentioned before, and I think a lot of us don't get the day off anyway (I don't 'cause I'm Canadian, though Can-Thanksgiving usually falls around the same time, which is a whole 'nother thing).

Mean Chuck
Delaware Destroyer

Post by Mean Chuck » Mon Jul 02, 2012 9:16 pm

I wasn't aware it was a tradition for Columbus Day it was always planned for the Apple Harvest festival which is the first two weekends of October. It should be the same weekend as the scooter rally IMHO just to give people the option of camping and another place to hang out if they want.

BTW, fuck Columbus, those glorious Vikings were here first anyway!
My father was a workaholic, every time you mention work he got drunk! -Rodney Dangerfield

Trav
Captain Delicious

Post by Trav » Wed Jul 04, 2012 8:05 am

It has always been as close to the 13th as possible.. that's all I know. I'm sure that's not really on purpose, but it's been anywhere from 9-10-11 to 13-14-15 I believe.
"With the engine running in the neutral position, disengage the clutch (pull in-clutch lever), press down on the shift lever until low gear is engaged, remove foot from shift lever, increase engine speed slightly, slowly release clutch lever while advancing throttle. Repeat procedure for remaining gears."

Rench
the Harm in Harmony

Post by Rench » Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:01 am

Since I became a part-time DOOMer, it's always fallen to the first full weekend, which is also NSP and the beginning of Apple Harvest. Also the Chicago Marathon. In recent years, it also allowed a de facto extra day or two since many have Columbus day off, also falling on the first weekend.

Just my .02.

-Rench
"I'm not a schemer..."

"Do you know why it's illegal to put gasoline in a glass container?" - Piccinni

JustNate
Barista of Doom

Post by JustNate » Wed Jul 04, 2012 6:23 pm

not that it matters either way, but it is awfully nice to use the Columbus Day instead of burning vacation days i haven't earned yet.

MATPOC
The Unreasonable Ukranian

Post by MATPOC » Thu Jul 05, 2012 3:29 am

I prefer Columbus day for number of reasons

Trav
Captain Delicious

Post by Trav » Thu Jul 05, 2012 2:42 pm

In celebration of a man who 'discovered' a 'new world' only because he ran out of booze, it is sort of fitting. True? I don't know, but I like that version.
"With the engine running in the neutral position, disengage the clutch (pull in-clutch lever), press down on the shift lever until low gear is engaged, remove foot from shift lever, increase engine speed slightly, slowly release clutch lever while advancing throttle. Repeat procedure for remaining gears."

SomeMook
Ayatollah of Mayhem

Post by SomeMook » Thu Jul 12, 2012 7:00 pm

Mean Chuck wrote:I wasn't aware it was a tradition for Columbus Day it was always planned for the Apple Harvest festival which is the first two weekends of October. It should be the same weekend as the scooter rally IMHO just to give people the option of camping and another place to hang out if they want.

BTW, fuck Columbus, those glorious Vikings were here first anyway!
Yep, traditionally Doom has occured during ze Apple Harvest. The concurrence with Columbus Day weekend was unplanned as far as I can tell.

I would personally prefer Columbus Day weekend, in the hopes that it would be easier for more of you awesome peeps to attend.
All the unhappiness in the world is caused by self-delusion. -E.H.

MATPOC

Post by MATPOC » Sun Jul 22, 2012 10:46 am

It seems that NSP is happening on a Columbus weekend, my vote is for same weekend.

Can we get some official confirmation?

AZRider

Post by AZRider » Sun Jul 22, 2012 11:44 am

I agree, a decision needs to be made ASAP.

Is there anybody who's committed to the 12-13-14 weekend? Days booked off work? Plane tickets? Unavoidable wedding on the Columbus weekend?

If not, it sounds like there are some folks who would be better off on the holiday weekend.

If folks don't chime in that they have conflicts, let's lock this down on the Columbus weekend, Oct. 6,7,8, so that people can firm up their plans.

I am still OK with either weekend, but can't keep them both open much longer.
"The hell with the zombie apocalypse, the douchebag apocalypse is upon us and their numbers are growing."-Mean Chuck
"--Really.. I AM a nice guy by preference. I do, however, have other options." - Merlyn

Rock
Superfudge!

Post by Rock » Sun Jul 22, 2012 11:59 am

AZRider wrote: Unavoidable wedding on the Columbus weekend?

AZRider

Post by AZRider » Sun Jul 22, 2012 12:10 pm

Cross Keys still has plenty of rooms either weekend.

AZRider

Post by AZRider » Sun Jul 22, 2012 12:11 pm

Rock wrote:
AZRider wrote: Unavoidable wedding on the Columbus weekend?
When the only other choice is face the buckshot...

Mean Chuck
Delaware Destroyer

Post by Mean Chuck » Sun Jul 22, 2012 1:07 pm

I am good with either.
My father was a workaholic, every time you mention work he got drunk! -Rodney Dangerfield

Bigshankhank
Fully Autonomous Cock-Puncher

Post by Bigshankhank » Sun Jul 22, 2012 6:11 pm

I have no preference.
It's time for Humankind to ditch the imaginary friends of our species' childhood and grow the fuck up.
-Davros

"Lasse mich deine Seele dem Herrscher der Finsternis opfern"

Let me sacrifice your soul to the ruler of darkness

Always carry a bottle of whiskey when you travel in case of a snakebite. Futhermore, always carry a small snake.

Jaeger
Baron von Scrapple

Post by Jaeger » Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:14 am

Bigshankhank wrote:I have no preference.
You're entitled to an opinion when you get your sweaty Texan ass up to participate, buddy boy.

Does this mean you'll be attending?

--Jaeger
Bigshankhank wrote:The world is a fucking wreck, but there is still sunshine in some places. Go outside and look for it.
<<NEUTIQUAM ERRO>>
2018 Indian Scout -- "Lilah"

Bigshankhank

Post by Bigshankhank » Mon Jul 23, 2012 12:40 pm

Jaeger wrote:
Bigshankhank wrote:I have no preference.
You're entitled to an opinion when you get your sweaty Texan ass up to participate, buddy boy.

Does this mean you'll be attending?

--Jaeger
Dear doG I hope so. I am afraid I will be bikeless, but this may be my year nonetheless. My daughter works for an airline, so I can fly up to B'more or somewhere closer to Gettysburg for free! 8)
It's time for Humankind to ditch the imaginary friends of our species' childhood and grow the fuck up.
-Davros

Always carry a bottle of whiskey when you travel in case of a snakebite. Futhermore, always carry a small snake.

Jaeger
Baron von Scrapple

Post by Jaeger » Mon Jul 23, 2012 1:16 pm

Cool! Be good to see ya again! And I wager we can rustle up a bike for ya somewhere... :)

--Jaeger
Bigshankhank wrote:The world is a fucking wreck, but there is still sunshine in some places. Go outside and look for it.
<<NEUTIQUAM ERRO>>
2018 Indian Scout -- "Lilah"

MATPOC

Post by MATPOC » Mon Jul 23, 2012 5:23 pm

Bigshankhank wrote: I am afraid I will be bikeless,
You know there is this fela in Frederick who has many bikes and no time to ride them... he's loaned bikes out to fly-in utmics in the past.

Bigshankhank

Post by Bigshankhank » Tue Jul 24, 2012 2:32 am

The Wife is on board with my travel plans, this looks like a go for launch.
-Davros

JustNate
Barista of Doom

Post by JustNate » Tue Jul 24, 2012 3:51 am

Booked and reserved.

MATPOC

Post by MATPOC » Tue Jul 24, 2012 4:07 am

Bigshankhank wrote:The Wife is on board with my travel plans, this looks like a go for launch.
If you can fly to PVD there should be a spare bike for you but then you have to ride it 500 miles each way

Bigshankhank

Post by Bigshankhank » Tue Jul 24, 2012 5:21 am

MATPOC wrote:
Bigshankhank wrote:The Wife is on board with my travel plans, this looks like a go for launch.
If you can fly to PVD there should be a spare bike for you but then you have to ride it 500 miles each way
Gamma?
-Davros

SSCAM
Barista of Doom

Post by SSCAM » Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:04 am

Bigshankhank wrote:Gamma?
:lol:
de•moc•ra•cy
\di-ˈmä-krə-sē\ n. 1.Mob Rule, whereby fifty-one percent of the people may vote away the rights of the other forty-nine. 2.Tyranny by majority.

Priest
Ancient Mariner

Post by Priest » Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:26 am

The fella in Frederick is in, no missing out for me again. I am also going to be wrasslin' a VIP to get airborne and join me. See yous soon :)
Priest.

Bigshankhank

Post by Bigshankhank » Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:52 am

The world waits in eager anticipation.
-Davros

MATPOC

Post by MATPOC » Tue Jul 24, 2012 6:08 pm

SSCAM wrote:
Gamma is fun and I've been told you can ride one coast to coast but on the long ride some Nomexundies are a must, unless you like your eggs hard-boiled

Bigshankhank

Post by Bigshankhank » Tue Jul 24, 2012 6:15 pm

MATPOC wrote:
SSCAM wrote:
Gamma is fun and I've been told you can ride one coast to coast but on the long ride some Nomexundies are a must, unless you like your eggs hard-boiled
Got my kids already, don't need the nuts.
-Davros

MATPOC

Post by MATPOC » Tue Jul 24, 2012 6:18 pm

Well then, Gamma comes to D00M once again!