DOOM! 2015

Planning a gathering? Post the details here!
red
Yap. Doomed for all eternity.

Re: DOOM! 2015

Post by red » Thu Jul 09, 2015 7:50 am

If anyone takes you up on the offer, let me know and we can meet up. If I had some hack experience and more time, I'd roll the Ural out there for you and back. The idea of piloting a strange and unruly craft through Chicago traffic makes me a bit uneasy. Plus, I'll be burning some slab through Ohio and I'm not sure how the Ural would handle that.

guitargeek
Master Metric Necromancer

Post by guitargeek » Thu Jul 09, 2015 9:11 am

Sounds like Red wants some hack lessons...
Elitist, arrogant, intolerant, self-absorbed.
Midliferider wrote:Wish I could wipe this shit off my shoes but it's everywhere I walk. Dang.
Pattio wrote:Never forget, as you enjoy the high road of tolerance, that it is those of us doing the hard work of intolerance who make it possible for you to shine.
xtian wrote:Sticking feathers up your butt does not make you a chicken

red

Post by red » Thu Jul 09, 2015 9:45 am

guitargeek wrote:Sounds like Red wants some hack lessons...
I do but my time and gas budget is pretty restricting.

Not sure how I could get it down here to Indy ahead of time to get acquainted before DOOM. Plus, I think it would double my gas budget. I get about 44mpg on the XJ.

guitargeek

Post by guitargeek » Thu Jul 09, 2015 4:05 pm

The trick would be to put that Yamaha motor in the Ural.
Midliferider wrote:Wish I could wipe this shit off my shoes but it's everywhere I walk. Dang.
Pattio wrote:Never forget, as you enjoy the high road of tolerance, that it is those of us doing the hard work of intolerance who make it possible for you to shine.

red

Post by red » Fri Jul 10, 2015 3:48 am

guitargeek wrote:The trick would be to put that Yamaha motor in the Ural.

That would make the Ghost of Stalin cry.

rolly
Tim Horton hears a Who?

Post by rolly » Fri Jul 10, 2015 6:12 am

red wrote:
Aggroton wrote:Is DOOM! not enough?
Not sure, I've never been! I only ask because whenever I read over the old DOOM threads, there always seems to be a scooter rally or vintage bike show going on too.
Scooter rally hasn't been the same since some yahoos showed up and broke a mothetfucker's face a few years back, now they don't let us have any fun.

Jaeger
Baron von Scrapple

Post by Jaeger » Fri Jul 10, 2015 7:14 am

rolly wrote:
red wrote:
Aggroton wrote:Is DOOM! not enough?
Not sure, I've never been! I only ask because whenever I read over the old DOOM threads, there always seems to be a scooter rally or vintage bike show going on too.
Scooter rally hasn't been the same since some yahoos showed up and broke a mothetfucker's face a few years back, now they don't let us have any fun.
We all make poor decisions sometimes...

But, hey, he was back in the bar that night! No self-respecting Ootmic would let a little scull fracture keep them from DOOM!... :shock:

--Jaeger
Bigshankhank wrote:The world is a fucking wreck, but there is still sunshine in some places. Go outside and look for it.
<<NEUTIQUAM ERRO>>
2018 Indian Scout -- "Lilah"

guitargeek

Post by guitargeek » Fri Jul 10, 2015 9:50 am

Somewhere around here, I still have a bag full of small latex examination gloves that someone borrowed from the ER...

Skkot
The pain maker go awayer!

Post by Skkot » Fri Jul 10, 2015 2:15 pm

We may have a hack for DOOM. I was looking at used motorcycles online because Mrs. Skkot has shown an interest, and I came across a 2002 R1150 well attached to something solid, and all in an aesthetically pleasing (to Mrs.) color. She could fit two poodle carriers in it. Going to look at it Monday. :)
2004 R1150 GS PKM + 2002 R1150R Sidecarmachine
You can wipe your ass and blow your nose with the same wad of tissue, but blow your nose first.

Aggroton
Chuck Asap

Post by Aggroton » Fri Jul 10, 2015 2:41 pm

I have storage close to doom if said side hack does need stored.
thats a sweet bike.

Skkot

Post by Skkot » Fri Jul 10, 2015 2:55 pm

Cool! If I get the hack, the PKM will be available as a loaner. I also have a staging area 45 minutes or so from DOOM
You can wipe your ass and blow your nose with the same wad of tissue, but blow your nose first.

Rench
the Harm in Harmony

Post by Rench » Fri Jul 10, 2015 3:34 pm

Skkot, be careful. Hacks are weirdly fun... :mrgreen:

-Rench
"I'm not a schemer..."

"Do you know why it's illegal to put gasoline in a glass container?" - Piccinni

Skkot

Post by Skkot » Tue Jul 14, 2015 8:53 pm

sidecar whiskey.jpg
Rench, now I know exactly what you meant. The hack is weird, and the hack is fun. What you see before you are two bottles of Buffalo Trace White Dog wheated mash whiskey sitting in an ARMEC sidecar attached to a 2002 R1150R. One bottle is to drink in your honor this DOOM, and the other I hope to share with you and Mk3 at DOOM 2016.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Skkot

Post by Skkot » Tue Jul 14, 2015 8:55 pm

better view of the hack
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Skkot

Post by Skkot » Tue Jul 14, 2015 9:02 pm

[attachment=0]girl, poodles, kitty in sidecar.jpg[/attachment

cat climbing on board was his idea.

red

Post by red » Wed Jul 15, 2015 3:27 am

Congrats on the new scoot Skkot!

Skkot

Post by Skkot » Wed Jul 15, 2015 10:01 am

Thank you! I don't have nearly the death-grip today that I had on the bars yesterday (not sure of the appropriate verb here - driving, riding, piloting?) the hack back from Bob's BMW. :D

Skkot

Post by Skkot » Wed Jul 15, 2015 10:06 am

I expect to be proficient with the sidecar in time for DOOM, which means the Ural need not winter over in the East, and the PKM (2004 R1150 GS) could be arranged as a loaner for someone flying in.

Jaeger
Baron von Scrapple

Post by Jaeger » Wed Jul 15, 2015 10:12 am

Noice! Contracts on the new scoot!

--Jaeger
Bigshankhank wrote:The world is a fucking wreck, but there is still sunshine in some places. Go outside and look for it.
<<NEUTIQUAM ERRO>>
2018 Indian Scout -- "Lilah"

problemaddict
Captain of the UTMC Fighter Squadron

Post by problemaddict » Wed Jul 15, 2015 11:12 am

Hope it has electric start!! hehehe Seriously, looks sweet!

12ci
Ayatollah of Mayhem

Post by 12ci » Wed Jul 15, 2015 3:13 pm

Woot! Glad that hack went to a good home.
today you decide what tomorrow will bring

Rench
the Harm in Harmony

Post by Rench » Thu Jul 16, 2015 3:13 am

That, good sir, is a thing of beauty in every measurable way. :mrgreen:

And yes, the death grip does subside after a while. I believe "pilot" is the vernacular.

Really, just spend a lot of time with it. Since you're already a very experienced rider, you'll adapt pretty quickly. The trick will be going back to 2 after you've gotten used to steering the hack, and then back and forth between the both of them.

-Rench
"I'm not a schemer..."

Skkot

Post by Skkot » Thu Jul 16, 2015 4:08 am

Thanks, all, and yes, it does have electric start :mrgreen: Only thing woogly seems to be the left turn signal relay in the car. Rode it all around yesterday, including a trip up the curvy mountain rode to Hagerstown via Thurmont & Smithsburg. It does 80 mph ok, but the side and back roads are most fun. I was going to garage it today and pick the 2-wheeler back up from work, but I may immerse myself in this machine a little longer to make sure it sticks. I know I'm getting used to it because by yesterday afternoon I wasn't putting my leg down at stops.

Rench
the Harm in Harmony

Post by Rench » Thu Jul 16, 2015 8:29 am

Ha! That's a big difference. Can you fly the chair yet? It's not just goofing, its good to know how and when that happens as part of the riding style. I've gotten the chair so far up I can start turning left on 2. The Ural board fellas had nothing to say to me when I was asking for any ways to alleviate the hard contact when leaning left. :mrgreen:

-Rench
"I'm not a schemer..."

jae
Magnum Jihad

Post by jae » Thu Jul 16, 2015 9:18 am

Rench wrote:... The trick will be going back to 2 after you've gotten used to steering the hack, and then back and forth between the both of them.

-Rench
To some extent, but I mostly disagree. In my experience it's kind of like adapting to using a GP style shift, riding an older pre-standard bike (right shift, left rear brake), riding a scooter with hand shift, or even going back to riding a bicycle with the "backwards" hand brakes... once you get "fluent" at it, it gets compartmentalized and while you need to make that mental shift, it's kind of like putting on a different pair of gloves.

...or maybe that's just me. *shrug*
There, I said it.
http://instagram.com/norrisjc
http://youtube.com/kacivic

Dying old and healthy from boredom is not an achievement.

Skkot

Post by Skkot » Fri Jul 17, 2015 12:31 pm

So far I haven't flown the car. I'm driving around with 3 sandbags in it for ballast, and it's fairly low & wide so I'm not likely to do it unintentionally. I do intend to try it at some point, when I find an empty parking lot to mess around in.

Rench
the Harm in Harmony

Post by Rench » Sat Jul 18, 2015 3:57 am

Just start turning right in a nice big circle and slowly increase the throttle. I guarantee it'll happen eventually. :mrgreen: Before you know it you'll be popping it up on every right hand turn just to see how long you can hold it.

-Rench
"I'm not a schemer..."

red

Post by red » Wed Jul 29, 2015 8:39 am

Is it October yet? I could really use a break from my jobby-job and 5 days of hawt motorbike action.

rc26
The Devil's Banana

Post by rc26 » Wed Aug 05, 2015 6:18 am

Shit, I guess I'd better get my room reservation.
"I reject your reality and substitute my own" - Stole it.

calamari kid
Ayatollah of Mayhem

Post by calamari kid » Fri Aug 14, 2015 8:00 pm

Well fuck, I'm out.

Funds prohibit at the moment. Spousal employment outlook is looking good though, perhaps next year.
"Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon." -Honda manual circa 1962

"Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba...." -Hunter S Thompson

"A psychotic is a guy who's just found out what's going on." -William S. Burroughs