LOGIN ISSUES
Because I've presently got technical incompetences with the board, password resets presently do not work automatic like.
If you can't login, click here please.
Show
If you have any problem logging in, please don't bother waiting and get in touch. Email right to the usual address (admin at...), use the contact form (bottom of index and most other pages), post in the Midget Circus, or message me directly on Facebook.
I should get the message within a few hours, but under rare circumstances, it might take me a day.

If you can login no problem, but you wish to avoid problem, try checking the "Remember Me" box where you login. I've meddled with the settings there, so even if you return here only once every couple of weeks, it should remember you fine. Provided you have cookies enabled.

If it won't remember you, and you want to be sure any failure to remember is actually such and not just an oops, please read the following (click the bar to make it "show").
Important infos about cookies
Show
To be remembered, you must have cookies enabled in your browser. Some people prefer using "private" browsing mode - which precludes cookies being placed on your device in the first place.
Some people use regular browsing mode, but may have chosen to disable all cookies in their settings. Sometimes, these people will end up tearing their hair out because a lot of websites just don't work at all, like many online stores, as many e-commerce platforms don't do bugger all without using cookies.
Me, I've got "Self-Destructing Cookies" plugins in my various browsers. Which lets me accept all cookies everywhere, smug in the knowledge that they will be deleted the instant I close that browser tab. I can even set it to delete the cookies only when I close the whole browser window, which is helpful with online stores.
And I can whitelist sites like the board, so the plugin doesn't mess with those cookies at all.

And you must use the same browser, on the same machine. Unless you're using something like a cookie manager that syncs to all your devices and things, your apple browser on your ipad won't have the delicious cookies chrome has on your PC. And unless google now manages cookies between your devices (who knows what the fuck they do), even chrome on your Android won't have the same cookies as chrome on your notebook, or chrome on your other Android.
If you wish to discuss this, follow this link.

SECURITY WHATNOW?
Once upon a when, we've had a data breach (maybe).
Click here if you don't know what that's about.
Show
If you've visited the forum at any time after November 18, 2020, you will have seen the message about a supposed data breach that may have exposed passwords. I know you will have seen it because, until today, there was a big general announcement right at the top of the everything.
Seeing how it's been nearly 18 months since that, with no further alarms getting rung, and how everyone has had 758,214 opportunities to take a minute to think about the security of their passwords, I've taken that notice down.
Follow this link for all the info that has transpired about the whole mess.

You may dismiss this message by clicking the dark X in the top right hand corner. You may have to mouse-over to see it. I assure you it's there.

DOOM 2022...??

Planning a gathering? Post the details here!
Jaeger
Baron von Scrapple

DOOM 2022...??

Post by Jaeger » Fri Jan 28, 2022 7:27 pm

All --

For those who might've missed it, the Cross Keys Motor Inn in New Oxford, PA is no more. Alas, our original DOOM portal is closed forever.

That said... might we find another location? I've broached this idea with a couple of people already, but in all honesty, after more than 15 years of going back to the same hotel, I personally am open to a change of venue.

Or is DOOM dead? Is the tradition tied solely to our beloved X-Keys?

I've no idea who's actually interested in getting folks together again after these weird Plague years, but goddamn it'd be good to resurrect the tradition somewhere else.

I'm initially thinking somewhere farther west... Pittsburgh, maybe? Or maybe farther north to get more of the New England crew? (What about the Zippo/Case knife factory up on the PA border?)

Thoughts?

I also realize this conversation is at least partly going to occur on Fecesbook, but I'd rather keep more of the convo here just so Fuckin' Zuck doesn't crash the joint.

--Jaeger

Bigshankhank wrote:The world is a fucking wreck, but there is still sunshine in some places. Go outside and look for it.
<<NEUTIQUAM ERRO>>
2018 Indian Scout -- "Lilah"

Bigshankhank
Fully Autonomous Cock-Puncher

Re: DOOM 2022...??

Post by Bigshankhank » Sat Jan 29, 2022 7:17 am

Holy fuck I had not heard about the Keys. Even though I only made it a few times it was always a good time, that's awful news. Does anyone have any connection with the family? I would be willing to chip in on a Thank You gift from the Ootmik clan, if we could get it to them.

As for continuation, absolutely. I'll be frank, I have few riding friends in this world and ya'll are at the top of the list, and also a bike trip up to DOOM had been in negotiations with the wife for this year so I'd hate to waste that effort. As for alternate locations, I'm open. I would suggest Wheels Through Time in NC but admittedly that's selfish cause it would be a shorter distance for only me. Perhaps if there is a motorsports events up in the NE during the traditional DOOM time period we could gather around the wider pantheon of Petrol Gods.
-NHRA Nationals at Maple Grove in Mounton, PA on Sept 15
-MotoAmerica in New Jersey Motorsports park Sept 9-11
Just two options, off-schedule technically since its usually Indigenous People's Day weekend but just tossing it out there.

DOOM must never die.
It's time for Humankind to ditch the imaginary friends of our species' childhood and grow the fuck up.
-Davros

"Lasse mich deine Seele dem Herrscher der Finsternis opfern"

Let me sacrifice your soul to the ruler of darkness

Always carry a bottle of whiskey when you travel in case of a snakebite. Futhermore, always carry a small snake.

MATPOC
The Unreasonable Ukranian

Post by MATPOC » Sun Jan 30, 2022 7:14 am

I'm hoping D3W/\/\ lives on, I'm all for a change of location, selfishly hope closer to me but if we keep the Columbus weekend date it may be chilly in NE.
As Hank suggesting, Smokies might be good place to be in the fall, one thing that has always happened same weekend was Barber Vintage fest that I've never been to and it's in Alafuckingbama, over 1000 miles from here, but others have traveled to X-Keys from further away, so maybe it's time we went south.
Local Rockers crew been making trips to Barber for years and stopping by Deals Gap for some fun, figured we can do something like that, but it would be a very long weekend...
One thing that might not work for me this year is that I have reservations for Havasupai that I originally made for April 2019, since reservation been closed due to COVID it now has been moved to October 2022 and if they don't postpone it again I fully intend to make it this time.
Another option is VT, one of my favorite places to ride, know it well and I have a friend who owns B&B with 15 rooms that we could possibly rent out for couple days, if he has an open weekend. We do have a get together at his place on the fall with couple friends, he provides food and shelter and guided tours of the area.

red
Yap. Doomed for all eternity.

Post by red » Sun Jan 30, 2022 4:08 pm

Do0M shall live on!

Also, I am the prophet!
Screenshot_20220130-190618.png
I'll dewmybest to get to wherever you guys n gals are.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Proud Survivor From Thread Hole 64 Campaign
1987 CBR600F Hurricane Sprawl Bike
-=High Tech / Low Life=-

red

Post by red » Mon Jan 31, 2022 6:07 am

I had the idea last night to make CrossKeys logo keychains, I can print them up, if someone can supply me with the image file. Maybe something like the 3 keys, but inside a hollow bomb, or just a circle (to add stability to the print)?
-=High Tech / Low Life=-

Bigshankhank
Fully Autonomous Cock-Puncher

Post by Bigshankhank » Mon Jan 31, 2022 4:07 pm

Barber's is amazing for those who've never been, so yeah I can second that suggestion as well. But again, that makes my ride significantly shorter and much longer for the rest of you (maybe not Red, Indy to B-Ham?)
It's time for Humankind to ditch the imaginary friends of our species' childhood and grow the fuck up.
-Davros

"Lasse mich deine Seele dem Herrscher der Finsternis opfern"

Let me sacrifice your soul to the ruler of darkness

Always carry a bottle of whiskey when you travel in case of a snakebite. Futhermore, always carry a small snake.

red

Post by red » Tue Feb 01, 2022 1:01 pm

Bigshankhank wrote:
Mon Jan 31, 2022 4:07 pm
Barber's is amazing for those who've never been, so yeah I can second that suggestion as well. But again, that makes my ride significantly shorter and much longer for the rest of you (maybe not Red, Indy to B-Ham?)
It's about 8 hours if I wanted to burn the slab the whole way, but what's the fun in that? As a matter of principle, I try to avoid Alabama. Spent a weekend stuck in Tuscaloosa, and vowed to avoid the state to the best of my ability. I don't imagine it's gotten any better in the past 10 years since my last visit.

Running to PA is about my limit for travel distance, so if the new location is much further away, it may drastically reduce my chances of attending. (Not that I was able to attend before, more than once.) I think my plan this year will probably just be to ride and camp, perhaps around southern Indiana. Who knows.
-=High Tech / Low Life=-

red

Post by red » Wed Feb 02, 2022 5:50 am

Wait... that was 20 years ago. Holy shit.

**crushing weight of existential crisis intensifies**
-=High Tech / Low Life=-

Jaeger
Baron von Scrapple

Post by Jaeger » Wed Feb 02, 2022 12:59 pm

red wrote:
Wed Feb 02, 2022 5:50 am

Linear time really is a white-hot motherfucker.

--Jaeger
Bigshankhank wrote:The world is a fucking wreck, but there is still sunshine in some places. Go outside and look for it.
<<NEUTIQUAM ERRO>>

red

Post by red » Mon Feb 07, 2022 10:27 am

Jaeger wrote:
Wed Feb 02, 2022 12:59 pm
red wrote:
Wed Feb 02, 2022 5:50 am

Linear time really is a white-hot motherfucker.

--Jaeger
It's a terrifying thought that I'm stuck visiting Alabama over and over again, each time the cycle restarts.
-=High Tech / Low Life=-

problemaddict
Captain of the UTMC Fighter Squadron

Post by problemaddict » Sat Feb 19, 2022 10:45 pm

On the F-tubes, Denise found this cool spot in PA. The Lincoln Motor Court. It looks like a stop you would find on RT66. A timecapsule of a bygone era, but it's in south cental pennsyltucky.

https://www.lincolnmotorcourt.com

I shot them an email asking about availability on Indigenous Holocaust weekend and I got this reply:
That weekend is open, however we would probably only have 8 cottages available...at this present time 2 need repairs and 2 are used for storage. We are closed for the winter season but plan to reopen April 1st with a nightly rate of$95 + 8% tax for two people per night. If your group is staying a 3rd night we could give a $5 discount to each cottage.
To make reservations please call us
So, $90 per cottage, but only 16 snuggling ootmiks (plus stragglers who could sleep on the floors?) It would be a Smol Doom.... But, a seriously quaint DOOM. Also, its right in the HEART of AWESOME appalacian, twisty, mountainous riding areas. And only 1.5 hours west of the Xkeys, so it doesn't seriously affect travel for most DOOMers. And its in Bedford, PA which is a trucking hub and has TONS of accomodation availability for anyone who can't fit in cabins...

Just a thought.....

red

Post by red » Sun Feb 20, 2022 6:19 am

problemaddict wrote:
Sat Feb 19, 2022 10:45 pm
On the F-tubes, Denise found this cool spot in PA. The Lincoln Motor Court. It looks like a stop you would find on RT66. A timecapsule of a bygone era, but it's in south cental pennsyltucky.

https://www.lincolnmotorcourt.com

I shot them an email asking about availability on Indigenous Holocaust weekend and I got this reply:
That weekend is open, however we would probably only have 8 cottages available...at this present time 2 need repairs and 2 are used for storage. We are closed for the winter season but plan to reopen April 1st with a nightly rate of$95 + 8% tax for two people per night. If your group is staying a 3rd night we could give a $5 discount to each cottage.
To make reservations please call us
So, $90 per cottage, but only 16 snuggling ootmiks (plus stragglers who could sleep on the floors?) It would be a Smol Doom.... But, a seriously quaint DOOM. Also, its right in the HEART of AWESOME appalacian, twisty, mountainous riding areas. And only 1.5 hours west of the Xkeys, so it doesn't seriously affect travel for most DOOMers. And its in Bedford, PA which is a trucking hub and has TONS of accomodation availability for anyone who can't fit in cabins...

Just a thought.....
That's an awesome find, we rode past that place on the way to DooM '15. Definitely have to check out the Giant Coffee Pot!
-=High Tech / Low Life=-

red

Post by red » Sun Feb 20, 2022 11:06 am

Also, that's really cheap for a little cottage and the place looks very retro. Did you ask how they feel about rolling burnouts and wheelies? 😄

Most importantly, is there a parking lot where we can hold assembly?
-=High Tech / Low Life=-

problemaddict

Post by problemaddict » Mon Feb 21, 2022 2:36 am

Another interesting option:
Steel Steeds Motorcycle Campground
(570) 524-9433
https://maps.app.goo.gl/hE6XRkYXUSdkRJNcA

We can rent RV\campers, or cabins, or tent camping. There's a restaurant\bar next door. Both the campground and restaurant have great reviews on Google.
Surrounded by state forests with amazing riding. I did a trip up to Bald Eagle State Forest, just west of the camp, a couple years ago & the riding was fantastic. ADV-bike wonderland!

Thoughts?

Jaeger
Baron von Scrapple

Post by Jaeger » Tue Feb 22, 2022 7:02 am

Those both look good but I expect the latter to be better with the fire pit, bar, etc.

I'm diggin' it. :D

--Jaeger
<<NEUTIQUAM ERRO>>

red

Post by red » Wed Feb 23, 2022 8:41 am

Jaeger wrote:
Tue Feb 22, 2022 7:02 am
Those both look good but I expect the latter to be better with the fire pit, bar, etc.

I'm diggin' it. :D

--Jaeger
However, the douchecanoe concentration is likely to be much higher! The other place, sounds like we'd rule the roost for the weekend. Either way, I'm glad we're finding options.
-=High Tech / Low Life=-

MATPOC
The Unreasonable Ukranian

Post by MATPOC » Sun Feb 27, 2022 6:17 am

Is it DOOM yet? I'm ready to go somewhere, anywhere...

problemaddict

Post by problemaddict » Wed Apr 27, 2022 6:54 pm

I'm getting a DOOMy vibe offa this place in WV. Here's a copy/paste of a review on TripAdvisor:
Not a bad visit
This motel is like many old motels on Rt 55 that were built before Interstate 68 bypassed much of the traffic out of the area. The receptionist was very polite, but you have to call a phone number listed on the door after hours to get him to come to the office. The room was comfortable but the carpet was worn. The bed was comfortable but somewhat low to the floor. The bathtub was large. The room had a microwave and a refrigerator. The room does not have a thermostat, and it appears that the heating or cooling is set in the central office. The room remained very warm on a very cold night. The television internet was good, and the internet, while slow, was good for an isolated area.

Word of caution: The next morning we drove to Morgantown, WV, and we did not see a single hotel fifty miles west of this motel on Route 50. The nearest town of any size on Route 50 west of Mt Storm is Grafton, and it is at least on hour and a half away through some of the windiest road you will ever see through an isolated area known for severe winter weather. There are two hotels in Mt. Storm. If you are tired and need to stop to spend the night, you had better grab one of the hotels in Mt. Storm.
No bar or restaurant, but we do fine bringing our own supplies... And what're they gonna do, kick us out? For $70 a night in the middle of nowhere, I think their standards for occupants would be "flexible" :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

https://www.mountaineer-motel.com

red

Post by red » Thu Apr 28, 2022 9:29 am

problemaddict wrote:
Wed Apr 27, 2022 6:54 pm
I'm getting a DOOMy vibe offa this place in WV. Here's a copy/paste of a review on TripAdvisor:
Not a bad visit
This motel is like many old motels on Rt 55 that were built before Interstate 68 bypassed much of the traffic out of the area. The receptionist was very polite, but you have to call a phone number listed on the door after hours to get him to come to the office. The room was comfortable but the carpet was worn. The bed was comfortable but somewhat low to the floor. The bathtub was large. The room had a microwave and a refrigerator. The room does not have a thermostat, and it appears that the heating or cooling is set in the central office. The room remained very warm on a very cold night. The television internet was good, and the internet, while slow, was good for an isolated area.

Word of caution: The next morning we drove to Morgantown, WV, and we did not see a single hotel fifty miles west of this motel on Route 50. The nearest town of any size on Route 50 west of Mt Storm is Grafton, and it is at least on hour and a half away through some of the windiest road you will ever see through an isolated area known for severe winter weather. There are two hotels in Mt. Storm. If you are tired and need to stop to spend the night, you had better grab one of the hotels in Mt. Storm.
No bar or restaurant, but we do fine bringing our own supplies... And what're they gonna do, kick us out? For $70 a night in the middle of nowhere, I think their standards for occupants would be "flexible" :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

https://www.mountaineer-motel.com
Having ridden US50 (Westbound) I can definitely say, as a born and raised flatlander, the roads around there are ass-puckering twisty at times. There is a gas station west of that place that I'm pretty sure only sells, fuel and confederate flags. But if you go further, there is an odd little hippy gas station called Deerwood.

The locals drive the roads like lunatics, the water tastes like despair and coal, and you better get gas when you can.

So, did you book a room yet?
-=High Tech / Low Life=-

Jaeger
Baron von Scrapple

Post by Jaeger » Thu Apr 28, 2022 10:37 am

Somehow I missed this bit about suggesting something in eastern WV. I do like this idea and yeah, the roads around there are FUCKING FANTASTIC. It's also not far from Seneca Rocks and Dolly Sods, both of which are just spectacular.

Hmmm...

--Jaeger
<<NEUTIQUAM ERRO>>

red

Post by red » Thu Apr 28, 2022 4:51 pm

It would cut my travel time down a bit, which is nice. I could do a nice easy first day, stay in Parkersburg or roll south and visit the Mothman in Point Pleasant. I'd like to ride US50 again, when I'm not chasing day light. But this time, not on a bike with a gauge cluster that is brighter than the headlight.
-=High Tech / Low Life=-

problemaddict

Post by problemaddict » Fri Apr 29, 2022 8:26 pm

The towns Thomas & Davis are nearby, 20 mins?, And seem to be ski resort kinda places. There's a grocery, convenience store, gas, and a brewery in those towns.

So far, most ootmiks seem amenable to this location. I'm gonna call the hotel and see what's up. I'm thinking I might just book the "group house", which looks like a garage with an apartment above it that might house 12 ppl? I dunno. Other rooms should be available. We might have to mix it up with the local tweaker community, as it looks like this motel caters to the long-term resident faction...
At the very least, we'll have a terrible stay, punctuated by unbelievably awesome riding through the mountains....

Jeager suggested we make the most of the long weekend and stay through Monday. If that works for most of us, post up, and maybe we can make that work...

red

Post by red » Sun May 01, 2022 4:36 pm

I'm not sure I'd trust our bikes sitting unguarded around a bunch of fucking meth heads. Are we gonna have to sleep in shifts? Bring a guard goose?Might be safer to sleep in the woods with the haints.
-=High Tech / Low Life=-

DerGolgo
Zaphod's Zeitgeist

Post by DerGolgo » Mon May 02, 2022 7:57 am

While I will not be able to Dooom, I have taken the liberty of making this thread an announcement, so it appears at the top of the subforum.
Carry on.
If there were absolutely anything to be afraid of, don't you think I would have worn pants?

I said I have a big stick.

red

Post by red » Fri May 27, 2022 11:27 am

Uh, asking for a friend... It's definitely not OK to pop a roof hatch, or 2nd story window and just go back to enjoying D/oo/M as usual? Just us, and the ghosts of the Portal?

Getting a strong Overlook Hotel vibe from this idea.

"You were always the owners"

(insert one of BeemerDan's photoshopped images, using the staff photo from "The Shining")
-=High Tech / Low Life=-

Jaeger
Baron von Scrapple

Post by Jaeger » Thu Jun 02, 2022 2:17 pm

red wrote:
Fri May 27, 2022 11:27 am
Uh, asking for a friend... It's definitely not OK to pop a roof hatch, or 2nd story window and just go back to enjoying D/oo/M as usual? Just us, and the ghosts of the Portal?

Getting a strong Overlook Hotel vibe from this idea.

"You were always the owners"

(insert one of BeemerDan's photoshopped images, using the staff photo from "The Shining")
:lol: :lol: :shock:

--Jaeger
<<NEUTIQUAM ERRO>>

problemaddict

Post by problemaddict » Thu Jun 02, 2022 7:51 pm

I'm still working on this.

How about Long Branch Saloon? Bar and motel. However only 9 rooms total. Lotta snuggling?:

Long Branch Saloon & Motel
(301) 334-4533
https://maps.app.goo.gl/yjXbfBJgzpt2BNAi9

But possible overflow at nearby Oak-Mar hotel:

Oak - Mar Motel
(301) 334-3965
https://maps.app.goo.gl/9ta7afL6229VsTDy9

These are still in the heart of twisty Appalachia, but with much less meth-vibe of the previously mentioned Mountaineer Motel.

Looks like we can book Friday thru Monday for like $140 per person. For the whole weekend, not per night...

Bar, restaurant, big parking lot, twisty mountain rds, cheap accomodations. I'm feeling it...

Jaeger
Baron von Scrapple

Post by Jaeger » Fri Jun 03, 2022 6:47 am

That looks pretty goddamn promising, PA. Good find.

--Jaeger
<<NEUTIQUAM ERRO>>

Rench
the Harm in Harmony

Post by Rench » Fri Jun 03, 2022 1:14 pm

That is insultingly closer to Chicago. I like it. :mrgreen:

-Rench
"I'm not a schemer..."

"Do you know why it's illegal to put gasoline in a glass container?" - Piccinni

red

Post by red » Sat Jun 04, 2022 8:04 am

Great finds! I'm definitely down for closer to the Midwest, understanding that makes it farther for the east coasters.
-=High Tech / Low Life=-