COVID-19 AND INTERESTING TIMES

Motorcycle news mah Brothahs and Sistahs! Read on or post your own.
Bigshankhank
Fully Autonomous Cock-Puncher

Re: COVID-19 AND INTERESTING TIMES

Post by Bigshankhank » Mon Aug 31, 2020 5:00 am

I'm reaching the same breaking point Bo. Currently in a job hunt and wondering if I should just hold off until I know if November will reflect a potential turn toward the good side of this nation's history or if its well and truly fucked and time to jump across the sea. I was discussing this with a friend the other day who was talking about how he hopes that after the election if the country can get back on the correct path that we can put all of this awfulness behind us and my only reply was to get that notion out of his head. November is just one election, the people who are the footsoldiers in this hateful social war are still young, and we won't be rid of them in our lifetime. The "old white men" in charge can be voted out and 465 AOC's can be voted in but the hate is so deeply infused that we should be prepared to write off an entire generation and maybe two until this can be bred out. Even then, it won't go away entirely.

It's time for Humankind to ditch the imaginary friends of our species' childhood and grow the fuck up.
-Davros

"Lasse mich deine Seele dem Herrscher der Finsternis opfern"

Let me sacrifice your soul to the ruler of darkness

Always carry a bottle of whiskey when you travel in case of a snakebite. Futhermore, always carry a small snake.

red
Yap. Doomed for all eternity.

Post by red » Mon Aug 31, 2020 5:12 am

Bigshankhank wrote:
Mon Aug 31, 2020 5:00 am
The "old white men" in charge can be voted out and 465 AOC's can be voted in but the hate is so deeply infused that we should be prepared to write off an entire generation and maybe two until this can be bred out. Even then, it won't go away entirely.
That's my fear. My kids will have to grow up with this next wave of edgelords and religious hyper patriots. Some days, I get stuck in the dread and think the whole world is like this but then I see a post or comment from someone outside the States and remember it's our 50 states that are going mad, not the planet.

I've accepted the fact that my family may need to be come illegal immigrants or asylum seekers in the American Migrant Caravan if this place finally shits the bed. I'm not gonna die for this fucking soil.

It's bullshit like this that's kept us from being able to spread out into the cosmos.
Proud Survivor From Thread Hole 64 Campaign
1987 CBR600F Hurricane Sprawl Bike
-=High Tech / Low Life=-

Jaeger
Baron von Scrapple

Post by Jaeger » Mon Aug 31, 2020 6:04 am

Bo_9 wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 8:31 pm
I think what you all are saying is that the US is tipping over a pivot that once past level may be impossible to push back over.
That is what I see from here in middle 'mericuh. ...
I'm really about to give up and bail if possible.
Pretty much, yeah. If Jackass stays in power -- either legitimately or illegitimately -- it's time to go. That'll be an indication that 'Murka is terminally fucked and we're heading down some dystopian future where things are going to get a lot uglier before they get better.

I haven't figured out where's better -- that'll take us -- but It'll be time to figure it out.

I'm distressed to hear you need to "fake it" to survive out west, but I'm not tremendously surprised. To me, that's another indication that it's time to GTFO. The very fact that you're gritting your teeth quietly so you can keep healthcare pretty clearly demonstrates how fucked up our system is.

--Jaeger
Bigshankhank wrote:The world is a fucking wreck, but there is still sunshine in some places. Go outside and look for it.
<<NEUTIQUAM ERRO>>
2018 Indian Scout -- "Lilah"

motorpsycho67
Double-dip Diogenes

Post by motorpsycho67 » Wed Sep 02, 2020 3:10 pm

Yep, definitely time to go.

Just not sure about the job market where my sites are aimed.

America has been given permission to be the shithole it always wanted to be...
'75 Honda CB400F
'82 Kawalski GPz750
etc.

Bo_9
Ayatollah of Mayhem
Location: Filthy little worn-out, broken down, see through soul.

Post by Bo_9 » Mon Sep 07, 2020 5:02 pm

Yeah here in Kansas it's like it is a race to prove who is stupider, and we are winning.
I literally have to keep it together about political shit at work or they will likely "find a reason" to let me go. I'm trapped like so many American's, enslaved to my employer for the precious insurance they provide.My employer is actually kind of fantastic, the owners do actually care about providing jobs and that precious insurance for the people they hire. but the internal culture is so fucking toxic it just smells.
We are currently vying for getting EU citizenship by blood from a couple angles. if that works out at least my kids will have some options rather than fall into the "get a good job with insurance" trap my parents sold me out to. It was a sad lie then and it is a more evil lie now.
But they didn't know any better, I do.
When an old man dies a library burns...

"Every accident involving machinery begins with a single defect. Never forget that defect can be between your ears." - E.J. Potter
"I feel like i'm in "my little pony" HELL!!!!" -Goose
"Well, he never ever smiled, but he always seemed pleased."
"Just one bad day..."

DerGolgo
Zaphod's Zeitgeist

Post by DerGolgo » Tue Sep 08, 2020 7:10 am

So Corona protests are ongoing here.
Dominated, of course, by extreme-right conspiratards and actual neo-nazis, waving the imperial war flag (WW1) because the one they want to wave is illegal, but that one is close second and the right colors.
Marching right along them, or in the same march anyways, are the fucking Krishnas. No, not kidding.
Neo-nazis and Krishnas. United by stupid.

A lot of people are also waving around flags and signs with a big Q, wear Q t-shirts, etc., etc.
And when journalists ask them "What's that mean then, Q?" the common response is "Ehm, dunno... Querdenker!"
Quer being askew/sideways, -denker being -thinker, the compound word indicating somebody not following the majority opinion(s) and/or the mainstream. Based on what I've seen and read, that seems to be a common theme.

No, not kidding. Either someone spread the idea that the Q is for Querdenker, and a symbol of being a skeptical insurgent against the horrible mainstream fake news narrative, or a whole bunch of idiots just saw someone running around with it and, rather than spending five seconds googling it, start waving it/wearing it themselves, making up whatever their stunted intellect can conjure, and all arriving at Querdenker, somehow.
And the Q morons get the jolly nice gift of very visible, very public presentation of their symbol. See?! We're international - that proves the whole conspiracy!!

Because being a dumbass is regardless of one's sexual orientation and/or gender identity, there are also photos of people waving rainbow flags, some holding up giant pictures of Gandhi for some reason.
I have the impression that, besides the neo nazis and other far-right extremists, a lot of people just want to protest against the horrible oppression that is laws requiring they wear a fucking mask when they ride the subway or go into a store. And because they are already fucking morons, they pick any symbol they figure makes them look intellectual/principled/skeptical etc., etc., whatever floats their boat when they know they can't actually defend their position of But mummy the mask is uncomfortable...

Let me know if the images in this post (there should be three) aren't working for you, I shall find substitutes.
If there were absolutely anything to be afraid of, don't you think I would have worn pants?

I said I have a big stick.

Jaeger
Baron von Scrapple

Post by Jaeger » Tue Sep 08, 2020 2:45 pm

I won't even touch the Nazis + Krishnas. That's more proof that truth is stranger than fiction.
DerGolgo wrote:
Tue Sep 08, 2020 7:10 am
A lot of people are also waving around flags and signs with a big Q, wear Q t-shirts, etc., etc.
And when journalists ask them "What's that mean then, Q?" the common response is "Ehm, dunno... Querdenker!"
Quer being askew/sideways, -denker being -thinker, the compound word indicating somebody not following the majority opinion(s) and/or the mainstream. Based on what I've seen and read, that seems to be a common theme.

No, not kidding. Either someone spread the idea that the Q is for Querdenker ...
What the white-hot holy fuck? This QAnon nonsense is showing up in Europe now? I thought it was just 'Murka?

Fuuuuck. :shock: :cry:

--Jaeger
Bigshankhank wrote:The world is a fucking wreck, but there is still sunshine in some places. Go outside and look for it.
<<NEUTIQUAM ERRO>>

red

Post by red » Tue Sep 08, 2020 5:05 pm

Jaeger wrote:
Tue Sep 08, 2020 2:45 pm
I won't even touch the Nazis + Krishnas. That's more proof that truth is stranger than fiction.
DerGolgo wrote:
Tue Sep 08, 2020 7:10 am

No, not kidding. Either someone spread the idea that the Q is for Querdenker ...
What the white-hot holy fuck? This QAnon nonsense is showing up in Europe now? I thought it was just 'Murka?

Fuuuuck. :shock: :cry:

--Jaeger

FUCK! I figured it out. American stupidity is the true virus. FFS I feel even worse now. I had previously thought this level of stupidity was contained to the 50 Stertz of Uhmerikka. Sorry we fucked up our own place, now we're coming to fuck up yours.

If I didn't have kids I'd be praying for that giant meteor but dammit, they need a viable future. Not this Q-fuckery and weird Nazi Krishna bullshit we live in now. FUCK. FUCK. FUCKITY FUCK.
-=High Tech / Low Life=-

Jaeger
Baron von Scrapple

Post by Jaeger » Wed Sep 09, 2020 1:12 pm

red wrote:
Tue Sep 08, 2020 5:05 pm
...Not this Q-fuckery and weird Nazi Krishna bullshit we live in now. FUCK. FUCK. FUCKITY FUCK.
Oh, wait, it gets better!

From the fucking AP:
The A(F)P wrote:WASHINGTON (AP) — Vice President Mike Pence and top officials from President Donald Trump’s campaign are slated to attend a Montana fundraiser next week hosted by a couple who have expressed support for the QAnon conspiracy theory, according to an event invitation obtained by The Associated Press and a review of social media postings.

The hosts of the fundraiser, Caryn and Michael Borland, have shared QAnon memes and retweeted posts from QAnon accounts, their social media activity shows. The baseless conspiracy theory posits that Trump is fighting entrenched enemies in the government and also involves satanism and child sex trafficking...
There is some mad ratfuckery going on.

Let's see if they use this as some smokescreen to discredit the reports about Woodward's new book. That's breaking right now. WaPo already released some of the recordings (behind paywall or I'd link) but...

Should be an interesting week. :P

--Jaeger
<<NEUTIQUAM ERRO>>

red

Post by red » Thu Sep 10, 2020 3:53 am

Jaeger wrote:
Wed Sep 09, 2020 1:12 pm

Should be an interesting week. :P

--Jaeger
I'm tired of interesting....
-=High Tech / Low Life=-

DerGolgo
Zaphod's Zeitgeist

Post by DerGolgo » Thu Sep 10, 2020 1:34 pm

red wrote:
Thu Sep 10, 2020 3:53 am
I'm tired of interesting....
Since I've taken to shaving, I'm waiting for masking to become unnecessary, so I can turn my fu-manchu into a proper goatee. Which is kinda regulation.

Yes, I am sure now.
THIS, right here, this is the mirror-universe. We are in the goatee-reality. The bad timeline.

How fitting that China is becoming the dominant world-power. I'm not blaming China for the Covid. Never attribute to malice what can be satisfactorily explained with shit just happens. Even if they wanted to exploit such a situation, there is no need to fabricate it.

But it is their proverb. Or idiomatic saying, or whatever.
We fucking do live in interesting times.
Fuck.
red wrote:
Tue Sep 08, 2020 5:05 pm
If I didn't have kids I'd be praying for that giant meteor but dammit, they need a viable future. Not this Q-fuckery and weird Nazi Krishna bullshit we live in now. FUCK. FUCK. FUCKITY FUCK.
You know that the My Little Pony fandom has become a hive of fucking neo-nazis.
Your kids don't just need a viable future. They need a fash-free present. I do not envy you right now.

Those Krishnas were at best oblivious to the neo-nazis that organized the march, which I might almost believe if they did live in a monastery without an internet, any radio or TV, and no newspapers, either. Nor any outsiders passing by and just chatting.
But I doubt they live in such isolation. For one, it would make the panhandling difficult.
So they at the very least are willing to overlooks the fucking neo-nazis, for the opportunity of being part of a very visible event.
The Krishnas are tolerant of nazis.

It's nice to know this place won't be undermined/infiltrated/subverted/taken over by the nazi filth.
No, it's not nice. It's beautiful, and it's essential. That there is one place where this shit won't start to fester.
If there were absolutely anything to be afraid of, don't you think I would have worn pants?

red

Post by red » Fri Sep 11, 2020 5:49 am

DerGolgo wrote:
Thu Sep 10, 2020 1:34 pm

You know that the My Little Pony fandom has become a hive of fucking neo-nazis.
Your kids don't just need a viable future. They need a fash-free present. I do not envy you right now.
Having kids in this span of time is at times, borderline unbearably stressful. However, we're fucking resilient and as are kiddos, so we'll get through this but where we land is what is really worrying me.

At least I get to have a mohawk since i'm WFH 100%.
-=High Tech / Low Life=-

DerGolgo
Zaphod's Zeitgeist

Post by DerGolgo » Fri Sep 11, 2020 5:57 am

red wrote:
Fri Sep 11, 2020 5:49 am

Having kids in this span of time is at times, borderline unbearably stressful. However, we're fucking resilient and as are kiddos, so we'll get through this but where we land is what is really worrying me.
The fact that you are concerned, while also being of a big brain, tells me you're probably doing as much as is humanly possible.

And if you can't give them a soft landing, give them the horns to impale and smash whoever is fucking it up for the rest.
red wrote:
Fri Sep 11, 2020 5:49 am
At least I get to have a mohawk since i'm WFH 100%.
Yes, you can have a mohawk if you work from home.
Or if you work from NASA mission control while landing a nuclear-powered robot-car that is flying, suspended from a flying rocket-crane, over the surface of a distant planet.

From home, or from NASA mission control while landing a nuclear-powered robot-car that is flying, suspended from a flying rocket-crane, over the surface of a distant planet. Either is cool for the mohawk.

red

Post by red » Fri Oct 16, 2020 7:09 am

Well, buckle up, here comes the second surge.

We took a road trip to Kentucky for a couple of outside attractions. You'd think there was no pandemic. One place had signs requiring masks, but most people just took them off after entry. The other place didn't say shit about it. Now the numbers all over the midwest are rising. My seasonal allergies are kicking in so I'm all kinds of paranoid whenever I get a scratchy throat or etc.

We could be past this but no, these fuckers are too indoctrinated by the conservatives to see reality. If I didn't have kids, I'd be praying for that fucking giant meteor.
-=High Tech / Low Life=-

Jaeger
Baron von Scrapple

Post by Jaeger » Fri Oct 16, 2020 7:47 am

red wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 7:09 am
Well, buckle up, here comes the second surge.

We took a road trip to Kentucky for a couple of outside attractions. You'd think there was no pandemic. One place had signs requiring masks, but most people just took them off after entry. The other place didn't say shit about it. Now the numbers all over the midwest are rising. My seasonal allergies are kicking in so I'm all kinds of paranoid whenever I get a scratchy throat or etc.

We could be past this but no, these fuckers are too indoctrinated by the conservatives to see reality. If I didn't have kids, I'd be praying for that fucking giant meteor.
Listening to podcasts about the 1918 flu pandemic, it sounds like we're doing exactly what we did then... and it worked out poorly. Everybody gets exhausted trying to maintain vigilance, which is really hard to do when there's a theoretical, invisible threat.

Gods willing, the threat will remain theoretical and invisible. If it doesn't there are Big Fucking Problems. If it does, though, most folks can't (or won't) appreciate that they dodged a bullet and will think "oh, that was such a waste of time!"

It's only real when the guy in the foxhole next to you gets blown to smithereens.

I'm trying to enjoy the sun and warmth before getting shut in for the winter. That's when it's really going to suck. It's been relatively easy to keep everything outside and keep distance, but sub-freezing temperatures are going to make doing practically anything more difficult.

Folks here in DC seem to be generally paying attention. I've seen precisely one person in the grocery store without a mask in the past few months (on the rare occasions that I go). Most (but not all) people seem mindful of keeping distance.

It's going to be an interesting few weeks. As I said to a guy on the phone earlier this morning, I'm not making any real plans until after mid November. By that point we should presumably know how the election shakes out, how badly Jackass will deal with it, and whether or not it's time to flee to Canada.

--Jaeger
<<NEUTIQUAM ERRO>>

xtian
Le coureur de lames chasse Tinti...

Post by xtian » Fri Oct 16, 2020 10:56 am

one of my close friend is trying to throw his house warming party. limited attendance, just the 6 hardore gang of us and his GF's little sister who lives with them half of the time. It's been 4 weeks now. week after week after week, one of us is always waiting for a test result and in quarantine. The plant we bought for the first scheduled party is growing into a three. New restrictions here, curfew from midnight to 5am, we are allowed ONE close contact on top of the people leaving in our house, bars and restaurant closed for one month. that's lock down except for school and work.
this is definitely not going into the right direction.
I'm not really from around here.

DerGolgo
Zaphod's Zeitgeist

Post by DerGolgo » Fri Oct 16, 2020 12:02 pm

When I picked up a new box of Ambien at the pharmacy yesterday, the pharmacist warned me that we (our town) have become a hot-spot, as its defined in my state. 50+ new cases in 7 days. I'm not actually sure what measures are planned for that. I believe some other states require that anyone from a hot-spot must provide a negative COVID-19 test that is less than 48 hours old if they want to rent a hotel room, or suchlike.
As of today, my town, 365k inhabitants, is at 55.3 new cases per 100k over the last 7 days.

I've stocked up on isopropyl, FFP3 masks (equivalent to N99), and disposable gloves. My pharmacist saw those, and warned me that they aren't that secure, virus particles can get through.
That is good to know, although I was usually disinfect my paws after ungloving already.
I don't rely on the gloves for protecting my hands as much as I want to avoid distributing whatever snot someone smeared on the handholds on the tram, a shopping cart, or whatever. I still wear 3+ layers of gloves for bigger shopping expeditions, so I can take off one layer and have a clean one to rummage around when I'm not sure I want to buy whatever I grab first.
I've been told that such isn't normal behavior.
To which I reply "Hi, my name is Guido, nice to meet you."

I also carry disinfectant wipes to clean the grabbing bits of the shopping cart, and will dispose the layer of gloves I had on while doing that.
Now that I think about it, the odds that someone picked their nose and smeared it on anything are fairly low, what with masks obscuring the nose.
But even when wearing the mask below the nose on public transit was given the same penalty as not wearing a mask at all (initially, €120, now €150, and I think it's still low), enough jackasses still figured they had the right to distribute their plaguebreath from their unmasked noses.
A baby that still needs a stroller can't really be masked up.
But kids that can already run around on their lonesome, I figure they should be masked up. They have learned to wear pants, they can learn to wear a mask. They are young, it's all new to them anyways. And they are specifically the population who are likely to jam a finger up their pestilence laden nose, and to then smear it all over the anything.
Whatever. For the time being I will maintain the whole paranoia and related measures.

Even when not on inherently crowdy public transport, some assholes still haven't read the memo on social distancing.
When I was waiting on the sidewalk to pick up another prescription earlier this week, one jackoff came up to me and asked where the queue was. I told him. He wasn't wearing a mask, and insisted on remaining not four feet away from me.
Last week, there was a bit of a crowd waiting outside my doctor's office, and every time one of the receptionists came out to deliver scripts, collect orders for scripts, collect someone with an appointment. Standing in line went straight out the window, and there would ever be a gaggle of people around the receptionist, and she would have to shoo people away. FFS.

At this point, I'm considering taping a bunch of very large, realistically colored dildos to my arms, head, back, and to make sure when anyone approaches, they will be looking at one directly. And it will jiggle.
But that might be public indecency or some such. Suggestions?

Laughing at myself: a few weeks ago, I was worried my fridge-freezer was broken. Every time I retrieved anything from the freezer, it would be wet. Like, condensation-wet.
The freezer thermometer suggested everything was way too cool to even allow anything to be wet. Like -4°F cold.
But wet things were.
I did eventually figure it out.
See, I thoroughly disinfect all my groceries. And I'm paranoid about maintaining the cold-chain. Stuff what needs freezing is handled first of all when I get home.
Turns out that isopropyl won't freeze at -4°F. But won't smell like isopropyl, either, because it's too cold to produce vapors.
So anything that's positively wet with isopropyl when I put it in the freezer is still wet when I retrieve it.
Things so stored in the fridge will start smelling like isopropyl not long after retrieving them from the fridge. But with the freezer, I've already unpacked whatever it is before it gets warm enough for even the slightest whiff.

DerGolgo
Zaphod's Zeitgeist

Post by DerGolgo » Tue Oct 20, 2020 4:27 am

So the 2nd wave is here well and good.

As of this morning, every city and community of the Ruhr area qualifies as a "hot spot", with more than 50 new cases per 100k people over the last 7 days.
My town is at 69.5/100k in 7 days as of today.
I can go outside, take the tram that stops right outside my door, take a 9 minute ride to the neighboring town.
Or, you know. Walk. It's like 2 miles down my street.
They have 115.7/100k. That's 0.11% of their entire population being diagnosed just over the last week. If they keep it up, by new years, over 1%, more than 1 in 100 people there will have been infected - not even counting all the previous cases up till now, and not even counting all the cases with mild or no symptoms that don't get tested.
Just the cases with symptoms sufficient to warrant seeing a doctor, or get tested for other reasons, will make up more than one in one hundred people in that city.

As of today, from 9 AM to midnight, in the downtown pedestrian area, masks must be worn anywhere public, both indoors and outdoors.
I honestly wouldn't mind if they extended that to the entire city. It's what I've been doing since this mess began anyways. Only had the mask off outside if I was on my lonesome and wanted a nicotine hit.

I have enough toilet paper for another couple of weeks, but I'll be buying some tonight. Hopefully.

red

Post by red » Wed Oct 21, 2020 6:48 am

Found out one of my Mom's coworkers has tested positive, so far, momma-san is testing negative. Fingers crossed it stays that way. Man, this winter is gonna be fucking terrible.
-=High Tech / Low Life=-

DerGolgo
Zaphod's Zeitgeist

Post by DerGolgo » Wed Oct 21, 2020 8:00 am

red wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 6:48 am
Man, this winter is gonna be fucking terrible.
Yeah. Foolishly, I had hoped that, since everyone would be wearing masks anyways, flu and other buggers would be out of the running from the get go.
How come dumb, entitled, hubristic, and all those other lovely human qualities can still surprise me?

I've just ordered a simple cloth mask that I can tie to one of my fancy FFP3 (=N99) masks. So far, because I'm not an entitled jackass, I would tape up exhalation valves. Even securing the tape with safety wire (well, technically, 0.25mm Ø vaping wire, but it's 316L, so I figure it qualifies).
But that would make it really difficult to not have my glasses fog up (never mind how unpleasant it is to breathe into my own eye), and condensation would collect on the inside of the valve.
So yeah, on top of multi-gloving, I'm gonna give double-masking a go. The outer mask to protect all the other assholes, the inner mask to protect myself. Masks with exhalation valves are no longer permitted on some public transit and the railroads, afaik, but try finding an FFP3 mask without one. The exhalation valve is what makes them attainable at all.

I know most of the people I encounter don't deserve me taking care to not infect them, but fuck them. I'd wear a positive pressure suit, if I had one. To protect me, and to terrify the natives.

red

Post by red » Wed Oct 21, 2020 9:41 am

DerGolgo wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 8:00 am
red wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 6:48 am
Man, this winter is gonna be fucking terrible.
I know most of the people I encounter don't deserve me taking care to not infect them, but fuck them. I'd wear a positive pressure suit, if I had one. To protect me, and to terrify the natives.
I agree, I'd wear one too. I still like my idea of making a Vac Suit from the Expanse.

I've been wearing either a KN95 or a multiple layer cloth mask (one layer is magical copper). For awhile I was doubling up, a cloth over a surgical style. During spring allergy season, I could tell a huge difference between the KN95 and cloth. Without the KN95 I was a runny, itchy eyed mess. Anything is better than nothing, as long as it's not mesh or something else stupid.
-=High Tech / Low Life=-

DerGolgo
Zaphod's Zeitgeist

Post by DerGolgo » Wed Oct 21, 2020 3:25 pm

Surviving on people working from home for the last six months or so, a lot of companies are going to get rid of physical office space. Why blow all that money on bricks and mortar when you can do it all with a virtual workspace?

A lot of jobs are about to get shifted from the developed world to places like India, China, Malaysia, Indonesia, etc., etc

Today, I learned about a specific company looking into this whom I wouldn't have expected.

Boeing.

Yes, the big B. They have announced that they are considering closing down all their physical offices in Everett, Washington, and going virtual.
They had already announced that they would shut down the 787 plant in Everett, moving all the production to union-free North Carolina, when most large 787 customers got themselves contracts stipulating their planes be built in Everett. Because the non-union shop in North Carolina is shit.

Here be a write up:
https://www.aviationpros.com/aircraft/c ... ffice-work
Dominic Gates aviationpros.com wrote:Instead of a fixed local headquarters, Deal wants himself and his leadership team to be mobile and "closer to where the products are being built," the executive said.
In other words, since they are shutting down 787 production in Everett, no reason to stay there. This may just be relocating the offices to the non-union shop in North Carolina.
Yes, yes, they will rent, lease, or perhaps even buy, a massive office complex in North Carolina. But that's not the old-model office, that's a dynamic office close to production for the "mobile CEO", etc., etc.
This might well be a bunch of suits trying to emulate their great fictional hero, John Galt, the atlas who shrugged.

Or it may not.
Be that as it may. Boeing is perhaps hit worse than many other sorts of businesses.
Show
They let the beancounters make engineering decisions, aka the 737 Max. Which is still grounded and, even if the new certificate is issued this week, all require retrofitting, all the pilots require training that goes beyond "iPad training" (no, that's the official term for what they had gotten initially).
On top of it all, sales weren't great. Delta, one of the world's biggest Boeing operators, as of before Corona, had hundreds of new planes on order. None of which Boeing, all Airbus.
Because of what is going on, a lot of airlines are retiring a lot of planes. Delta is getting rid of a bunch of Boeing types. 767-300 is already gone, 767-300ER has just been put on the chopping block, along with the 717. MD-88 and MD-90 have also been retired, and since their present-day production version, the 717, is being shown the door, we know this isn't just Delta retiring old planes. They are exorcising the entire DC-9 descended line from their fleet.
So I don't really think this is Boeing trying to make a Bezos and squeeze various cities for tax gifts in return to relocating there.
Boeing is in trouble. Have a look at this graph. It looks like their civilian business generates as much revenue as military and space added together, and then double it.

If a titan like Boeing does it, there is no excuse for the chartered accountant down the street not to do it.

boz
El Asbestos Pajamas

Post by boz » Fri Oct 23, 2020 11:46 am

I've been working from home since March and know it'll be this way until June at the earliest. After that? I would be surprised if I'm not WFH 3 days a week into perpetuity. My office is in the process of converting into a socially distanced workspace – that's for a good chunk of the World Trade Center – and I suspect all the buildings are.

With this unending situation I'm moving my ass to an apartment that can fit a desk in addition to a bed and a loveseat. Preparing to buckle the fuck down although honestly New York has been doing really well for a few months. There's plenty of life outside and the streets are full of mostly masked people - well of course until they sit down at outdoor tables and party.

It's absolutely laughable that Shithead called New York a "ghost town" - guess these are those party ghosts that lived with Casper.
| | || ||
Earn your beer.
Aught aught Zrex Zelda.

Jaeger
Baron von Scrapple

Post by Jaeger » Fri Oct 23, 2020 1:59 pm

boz wrote:
Fri Oct 23, 2020 11:46 am
I've been working from home since March and know it'll be this way until June at the earliest. After that? I would be surprised if I'm not WFH 3 days a week into perpetuity. My office is in the process of converting into a socially distanced workspace – that's for a good chunk of the World Trade Center – and I suspect all the buildings are.

With this unending situation I'm moving my ass to an apartment that can fit a desk in addition to a bed and a loveseat. Preparing to buckle the fuck down although honestly New York has been doing really well for a few months. There's plenty of life outside and the streets are full of mostly masked people - well of course until they sit down at outdoor tables and party.
Yeah, businesses are going to realize there's a lot of money to be saved by having people voluntarily work remotely. We get as much or more stuff done and they don't have to pay all the overhead costs of maintaining office space.

I'm glad to hear NYC is getting back to being NYC. We were there last Christmas and it was mobbed. Seeing pix of Times Square absolutely empty was... weird. Had that 9/11 vibe.

There's lots of speculation that all this is The Death of Cities, in particular places like NYC and SF. I wonder, instead, if it'll be the savior of them. Yes, they're gonna change, but the current trajectory regarding rent, real estate, and costs of living is not sustainable.
boz wrote:
Fri Oct 23, 2020 11:46 am
It's absolutely laughable that Shithead called New York a "ghost town" - guess these are those party ghosts that lived with Casper.
Here's hoping Jackass ceases to be a significant concern at least by January 20 if not before. :mrgreen:

--Jaeger
<<NEUTIQUAM ERRO>>

DerGolgo
Zaphod's Zeitgeist

Post by DerGolgo » Mon Oct 26, 2020 12:19 pm

My city. New infections per 100,000 people per 7 day period.
The graph begins, on the far left, on March 8.
2020-10-26 21_08_30-Corona Zahlen für Bochum - aktuelle COVID-19 Statistik - Waterfox Classic.png
Today is 120.4.
This looks less like a 2nd wave, and more like the main attraction, after trailers and adverts.

My city isn't very good, but far from the worst in new infections. More middling, for the Ruhr area.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

xtian
Le coureur de lames chasse Tinti...

Post by xtian » Tue Oct 27, 2020 8:09 am

Ours is more on phase with what you'd expect from a second wave.
On the good news, my mother in law is positive.
On the alternatively good or bad news, she's asymptomatic.
Also several kids from friends and wo-workers sick, so it's increasingly insulting to see people question the veracity of this epidemic and the relation between not wearing a mask and the size of your penis. thank you american media for dragging us down back to middle age.
I'm not really from around here.

Pintgudge
The Big Oooola

Post by Pintgudge » Wed Oct 28, 2020 2:05 pm

Sorry, once again I am ashamed of my country.
Hoping for a change but we got screwed last time.
If man is fit to be governed, is any man fit to govern?

These are the days of miracles and wonder!

'81 Goldwing Standard w/'61 Ural Sidecar

'06 Bajaj Chetak