SECURITY ADVISORY!
On 2020/11/18, suspicions were expressed that there had been a data breach.
At least some DisMembers' login data may have been compromised.

As of April 14, 2021, no further breach or news thereof has become apparent. This message just looks different because anyone who was gonna read the whole thing presumably did by now.

Please see announcement in Forum Stuff for details, and for how to change your password.
Click Here

COVID-19 AND INTERESTING TIMES

Motorcycle news mah Brothahs and Sistahs! Read on or post your own.
DerGolgo
Zaphod's Zeitgeist

Re: COVID-19 AND INTERESTING TIMES

Post by DerGolgo » Sun Apr 11, 2021 2:09 pm

Bigshankhank wrote:
Sun Apr 11, 2021 6:32 am
Along the same lines, I wonder how much corruption surrounding this will be exposed as time goes on, and will it matter?
Over here, that shit may have decided the general election. This September, potato votes for its federal legislators, who in turn select the chancellor and government. Obviously, the candidates for that are decided in advance.

As was revealed recently, our minister of health had much, much deeper pockets than anyone on his salary should have, spending 6 and 7 figure sums on fancy real estate. Then it was revealed that potato doesn't have as much vaccine as it needs because enough wasn't ordered... and our federal government, via the health ministry, just so happened to place all its faith in one vaccine maker. I don't recall which one, but our health minister owns a pile of stocks in that outfit.
And as if that wasn't enough. Turns out several people in government, and even more legislators, made six-figure sums by speculating in PPE. As if they knew what was going on a little earlier than the rest of the country.

That's all the conservative party. The so-called social democrat party stopped being their opposition about 23 years ago, and has since turned themselves into the center-left wing of the conservatives. Used to grab between 30 and 40% in an election, now they are around 12%. They will pick up a few votes from people who abandon the conservatives, but not that many.

The fascist party with their rejection that covid even existed lost a lot of support early during the pandemic. But since, the covidiot anti-mask movement, has recruited a lot of people for the political right. I'm not looking forward to those election results.
Bigshankhank wrote:
Sun Apr 11, 2021 6:32 am
I don't like what this world has become.
I'm not sure whether to agree or to contradict and say that it was ever thus, it's just all out in the open now.
I think both are true.

If there were absolutely anything to be afraid of, don't you think I would have worn pants?

I said I have a big stick.

DerGolgo
Zaphod's Zeitgeist

Post by DerGolgo » Thu Apr 15, 2021 12:11 am

Our hypercorrupt federal health minister announced that, the first quarter of 2021, we got at least one vaccine dose into 10% of potatoes, because as of last week, GPs can administer the vaccine, too, not just the vaccination centers.
GPs are ever so excited. About their receptionists fielding phone calls from every. Single. Patient. They had already, and a few more.
How much vaccine is getting to them?
30 doses per week per practice.
Because fucking fig-leafs are what we need right now.

I went to see my neurologist today, talked about a few things. The vaccination schedule here is based on priority, and before potatoes at large can just get it, the three highest priority groups must be taken care of.

Group 1, Highest Priority: Top priority are people 80+, or those with certain serious conditions (like a 50+ BMI or diabetes with A1C higher than such and such), those who work a lot with either group, and people working in healthcare or emergency response. People living in the same household with someone from one of those groups. Not me.

Group 2, Very High Priority: people 70+, certain jobs, and a whole bunch of conditions. Including diabetes with A1C below that value, or a BMI higher than 40.
Turns out my BMI is below 40, and that A1C limit was just evaporated. Now it's "diabetes with complications".
I've got a lot of complications, just none related to the diabetes.

I do, however, have high-grade depression, and my neurologist today gave me the signed and stamped form to that effect. I should thus get prioritized for a vaccine appointment when group 2 is begun. Whenever that may be.

Right now, while officially vaccines may now be given to group 2, that's not happening. In my locale, they lowered the minimum age from 80 to 77, presumably based on demographics.

Elsewhere, the federal government have been "discussing" new lockdown measures for a week. Where new infections per 100k over 7 days tops 100, they may introduce a full-on 9 PM curfew.
Afaik, with the exception of during an actual riot, this would be the first such measure implemented here since WW2.
If there were absolutely anything to be afraid of, don't you think I would have worn pants?

Bigshankhank
Fully Autonomous Cock-Puncher

Post by Bigshankhank » Thu Apr 15, 2021 4:16 am

Well some good some bad there DerG, glad you will be able to slip into a higher priority bracket although the cost of such (depression and latent injuries) is a high price to pay for it. I know lots of people here were basically signing up for vaccines before their age group would allow them to in the hopes that local pharmacies wouldn't be checking IDs that day and in many cases they got through it. I am still shocked to hear how difficult vaccine distribution has been in the Old World considering the development of Pfizer & Moderna versions were based there. I imagine if shit-fer-brains were still in office (and I shudder to think of the ongoing horror of such) we would be far behind other nations rather than leading the pack so at least I know my vote did some good.
Best of luck to you bud. Seriously, I hope for the best for you and yours. Wife & fam & I basically retreated deep into a life of utter privacy so far that we are honestly reticent to go out at all unless in dire need now despite we have all been at least partially vaccinated. This will take a while to break away from that habit.
It's time for Humankind to ditch the imaginary friends of our species' childhood and grow the fuck up.
-Davros

"Lasse mich deine Seele dem Herrscher der Finsternis opfern"

Let me sacrifice your soul to the ruler of darkness

Always carry a bottle of whiskey when you travel in case of a snakebite. Futhermore, always carry a small snake.

DerGolgo
Zaphod's Zeitgeist

Post by DerGolgo » Thu Apr 15, 2021 6:22 am

Bigshankhank wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 4:16 am
I am still shocked to hear how difficult vaccine distribution has been in the Old World considering the development of Pfizer & Moderna versions were based there.
As is pretty much everyone over here.
They made a big deal how the Pfizer vaccine was developed here. The president potato tacked the Große Verdienstkreuz mit Stern on the founders of the company that developed it, Biontech. Maybe 200 of those have been handed out since there has been a West Germany, it's the fifth highest grade of civilian honor we got here. The highest may only be given to foreign heads of state, and the 2nd highest was only ever awarded to the first post-WW2 West German chancellor. So, really, the 3rd highest they had to give out. REALLY big deal.
And it delights me no end that the two so honored are called Özlem Türeci and Ugur Sahin. Don't be fooled by the Umlauts. Those names are as potato as a kebab.

But as amazed as everyone is by how a vaccine came out of here. Our health minister got the brilliant idea to order vaccine from some company he held stock in, and that he shouldn't have to get enough for the entire population. I suppose they may just not have accepted a greater order, so the corrupt shite figured he'd just wait until they had capacity and took new orders. Because he definitely seems to regard his job to be to fill his wallet and get reelected.

A lot of people are hoping we can get our hands on some Sputnik V, the Russian stuff. I'm sure whoever is in charge of trade-embargoes is already packing to move to a deserted island.
The AstraZeneca vaccine, after a short pause because of a very small number of people developing thromboses in the brain (which I'm sure we used to call "a stroke", but apparently don't any longer), is back in business, but only for people 60+ years old.
I prefer to assume this is because the side effect literally happens only to younger people (not that I'd put the alternative past that corrupt dirtbag running the show).

News here is that the single-jab stuff by Johnson&Johnson has been grounded over yonder, for exactly the same side-effect.
A little googling tells me that, while most of the vaccines use mRNA, both Astra and J&J go oldschool with a "vector virus". Which, apparently, is a neutered cold-virus originally harvested from chimpanzees.
So it's not gonna infect us - but the great apes get their revenge by fucking up the brains of some of us.
Can't say I blame them.
Bigshankhank wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 4:16 am
Best of luck to you bud. Seriously, I hope for the best for you and yours.
Thank you, and the best to you and yours, too. Dangerous times, these. Be safe.

I emailed the stamped forms to the vaccination center here - and they went right ahead and answered I have to go through my GP. :x
At my GP's, it's all 80+ right now. They are putting me on a waiting list, but that list is indefinite - "not any time soon". :(
I've contacted the vaccination center again. Even if I have to wait a while, a definite date of some sort would put my mind at ease no end.

DerGolgo
Zaphod's Zeitgeist

Post by DerGolgo » Fri Apr 16, 2021 3:32 am

I just scrolled through this thread a little.
How I used to worry about the infection index, cases per 100k over 7 days, was cracking 50, making my town a "hot spot".
In nearly six months, there has been a single day that it dipped below 50.
2021-04-16 13_22_31-Corona Zahlen für Bochum - aktuelle COVID-19 Statistik - Waterfox Classic.png
Also stumbled upon this:
DerGolgo wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 8:00 am
Foolishly, I had hoped that, since everyone would be wearing masks anyways, flu and other buggers would be out of the running from the get go.
The other day, they interviewed an expert on the radio, something medical, and she suggested that she hopes wearing masks when feeling unwell will catch on here like it did in Asia decades ago.
Because they now have the numbers - and all those lovely infectious diseases that winter usually brings, flu, and all the flu-like pretenders. This winter, those infections had been reduced significantly. I think she mentioned "better than halved" or something.
So even with thoughtless, brainless jackoffs exposing their noses at every opportunity, the masking did some good beyond the 'vid.

The radio reported that some educators were complaining why it shouldn't be possible to have "conveyor testing" at schools. Since there now is a quick-test that requires one to only spit in a test-tube, not the scraping-of-the-brain hitherto necessary, it shouldn't be any problem ensuring that kids shedding the 'vid are not admitted, getting schools back to normal.

I do have two of the frontal-lobe-stabbing test kits, and I forgot to inquire about the spit variant when I hit the pharmacy yesterday. I will try to get my hands on some of those, since the simplicity would assure me no end that I'm not fucking it up, letting me keep the sinus-routers as backups.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

DerGolgo
Zaphod's Zeitgeist

Post by DerGolgo » Fri Apr 16, 2021 6:28 am

About an hour ago, I got a call from a friend. He's old-school like that. We caught up, and we lamented that neither of us had any idea when we might get the jab, indefinite waiting lists. Bitched about the bastard in charge, the whole shite situation, etc..

About 30 minutes ago, I get a call from my local vaccination center. The lady on the phone was looking at my 2nd email. Turns out: yes, they had a few openings for high-priority, class 2 cases such as mine (as distinct from class 1, highest-priority).

So I'm getting my first jab on Monday, Pfizer/Biontech. 2nd on May 31. Yes, that's 6 weeks, rather than the original three. But them's the breaks in the present vaccine-supply situation. And what I recall from the media, the longer wait may be a good thing.

DANG this is a load off! :D

Jaeger
Baron von Scrapple

Post by Jaeger » Fri Apr 16, 2021 6:54 am

First, WOO HOO on getting the stick! if the AZ is similar to Pfizer, just make sure you have Gatorade around to keep hydrated and fight off cottonmouth.

And yeah, M and I were talking yesterday about when we think masks are "going away." I personally think they'll never go away entirely -- at least I hope not, and precisely for the reason you cite: if you're sick and must go out, wear a fucking mask!

I do look forward to the day where they're not entirely ubiquitous, though.

--Jaeger
Bigshankhank wrote:The world is a fucking wreck, but there is still sunshine in some places. Go outside and look for it.
<<NEUTIQUAM ERRO>>
2018 Indian Scout -- "Lilah"

DerGolgo
Zaphod's Zeitgeist

Post by DerGolgo » Fri Apr 16, 2021 12:04 pm

Possibly did my last late-ish shopping expedition today, exploiting how empty the stores are around 9PM.
While the curfew law takes effect on Monday, several towns and cities in my area have already implemented a curfew, god knows on what legal basis. I was worried my town might have, too, ruling out my shopping expedition. I was relieved to learn we don't have one, yet. Probably will, come Monday.
Since stores will have to close early enough to let the staff get home, that'll be the end of 9PM grocery shopping for a while.*

I was surprised to learn at what point, according to official edict from my local government, any person must self-quarantine for 2 weeks.
That point being after spending 10 minutes or more within 5 feet of a person with as little as their nose exposed - including outdoors.
Not that they can enforce that. But, technically, that's the official rules right now. Some explicit stuff about entering rooms where, previously, the unmasked were breathing.
I believe those only apply when the pestilence-spreading person does not live in the same household as the any person.

*I was just gonna add a joke about setting up tents in the car park - but that would be tricky, pandemic-restrictions-wise, so I'd have to go into individual tents, with individual portaloos etc., and even my sense of humor is wearing out by then.

0l4fderstout
Maltov Rattlecan

Post by 0l4fderstout » Fri Apr 16, 2021 12:47 pm

Sooooo... The MI legislature stripped the gov of her emergency powers that they authorized in the 40's so that they could have a say in what to do about covid. They aren't saying shit. In fact they are still up in arms any time someone wants some sort of rational response. That said we are now #1 in the country, by a long margin for infections and going about business as usual. Thanks to my job, I am right now sitting here with possible symptoms and waiting on a test. (I'm working HVAC now. Mostly in rich folks homes. Which means a) they all lie like blankets about their exposures, b) dont give a fuck who they infect and c) try to constantly get me to remove my mask, up to and including being shitheels about it.

DerGolgo
Zaphod's Zeitgeist

Post by DerGolgo » Sat Apr 17, 2021 12:15 am

0l4fderstout wrote:
Fri Apr 16, 2021 12:47 pm
Thanks to my job, I am right now sitting here with possible symptoms and waiting on a test.
Please don't have covid, man!

Bigshankhank

Post by Bigshankhank » Sat Apr 17, 2021 4:13 am

Good luck Ol4, one thing about Michigan is when I think Florida is seriously fucked up, I can always say we're not as bad as the Mitten.
It's time for Humankind to ditch the imaginary friends of our species' childhood and grow the fuck up.
-Davros

Always carry a bottle of whiskey when you travel in case of a snakebite. Futhermore, always carry a small snake.

0l4fderstout
Maltov Rattlecan

Post by 0l4fderstout » Sat Apr 17, 2021 7:13 am

While Florida man is a meme, we are constantly skewered at the local and state government level by John Oliver and The Daily Show. smdh.

(Still waiting. I *am* half vaccinated so worst case is I get fairly unhappy and spend a week home. The pisser is we are in a spike and testing is being delayed as hell. I may be waiting until next week some time >< )

0l4fderstout
Maltov Rattlecan

Post by 0l4fderstout » Sun Apr 18, 2021 6:39 pm

No COVID. Vax #2 tomorrow. I hope I don't get the kick back a few others have. I can't really afford the time off.

Jaeger
Baron von Scrapple

Post by Jaeger » Mon Apr 19, 2021 6:34 am

0l4fderstout wrote:
Sun Apr 18, 2021 6:39 pm
No COVID. Vax #2 tomorrow. I hope I don't get the kick back a few others have. I can't really afford the time off.
Gatorade. Stock up on Gatorade and drink a bottle or two before you go to sleep. Seems to help blunt some of the symptoms from the shot.

--Jaeger
Bigshankhank wrote:The world is a fucking wreck, but there is still sunshine in some places. Go outside and look for it.
<<NEUTIQUAM ERRO>>

DerGolgo
Zaphod's Zeitgeist

Post by DerGolgo » Mon Apr 19, 2021 7:52 am

One down, one to go.
My Vaccination Odyssey
Show
The one time that tram has to not run unannounced has to be today.
Show
I had relied on the tramline, extended to run near the vaccination center only shortly before the Coviding. Hop on, fifteen minute ride, walk a bit, done, no muss, no fuss.

Obviously, the tram failed to materialize. And when, at the time I had planned to be there, the tram hadn't arrived yet, I ended up calling a taxi. At least that was quick.
Vaccination center. From non-combatants to the other sort.
Show
Ruhrcongress events venue, normally for congresses of some sort, concerts, touring stand-up acts etc. First time I've been there, actually.
All set up for massive lines, with crowd-control barriers etc.. But no lines. As I approach, I am intercepted by a man in a high-viz vest who directs me to the entrance for the special cases.
Stepping inside, a combat-nurse (battle fatigues, division insignia, the works, but I'm sure I spotted a red cross on white background) takes my temperature. She directs me to a desk staffed by more soldiers, but these guys don't have red crosses.
I accidentally declared myself legally incompetent to consent... oops...
Show
Going through my paperwork, the guy finds that I accidentally signed where a legal guardian would have signed to declare me incompetent to give consent to medical treatment... whoops.
But no worries, he's just crossing that out.

The guy looks at my diagnosis, feels he must tell me his father has the same, and got it in the army... thinking about it, I realize now what I looked like. Green cargo pants, black old-school military-ish jacket, green boonie hat (with the attachment hoops), flip-up sun-visors on my glasses, and my shoulder bag, also festooned in those commando-style attachment loops. From a distance, my workboots may even have looked a bit military. I think he assumed that perhaps soldiering was the story behind my diagnosis, too, or that I was some kind of kindred-spirit couch-commando.

Even had I realized then, I wouldn't have had the heart to tell him the truth.
"pockets... I wear these pants for the pockets, I'm cargo-carrying right now... same for the jacket... need the flip-up shades for my effed eye, ditto for the lid, and this style is the only one that gives good shade and also fits my gigantic dome... I got the boots because I need the ergonomic heel... I like bags with many compartments, I don't even use any of the loops..."
I'm told to stand in line at a door. First time standing in line. And then a THW (think ACE, but organized a little more like a volunteer fire-department) person points me, and the guy in line before me (aka the entire line) at another door where processing is apparently quicker.
Get there, somebody else picks out what papers she needs to hold on to at her station, does some bureaucrat, tells me that lady over there (another THW trooper) will tell me what door I should go through.
"Please sit over there until I call you."
I sit, I am called and pointed at door number 3.
First station, medical history/comorbidities/medications, information.
Show
Doctor in civvies (office casual I guess) is to give me the info for the informed in informed consent.
"Soreness or swelling at the injection site, light fever..."
"Like any other vaccination then."
"You've been vaccinated before?"
"Against covid?"
"Against anything, tetanus, flu..."
...that a physician would find it appropriate to ask this. That he might expect anything other than a "well, DUH!!" for an answer. That, presumably, he already had someone in there who'd have said "no, first time". I hate this world.
Next station, THE BUSINESS (the jab)
Show
First anyone I see in full ppe. He spots the yellow card in my front pocket. "Great, I'll have that! Take off your jacket and sit on that chair."
I sit.
"Left or right arm?"
Poke, band aid, "That'll come off while you sleep."
"No, they never do."
"Haha! Go through there and protect the furniture for fifteen, then you're done."
I do that. Hand over my paperwork and insurance card to another THW guy, sit, wait. When he comes to hand it back, he's like "wait, gotta confirm your ID, gotta check the photo... see, with your hat..."
That'd be a nearly 20 year old photo my insurance just never proposed they should update. I suppose he was checking the color of my skin maybe? The photo was a bit over-exposed though, so no idea how he confirmed my identity from that.

And that was it. Took a taxi home because fuckit.
They were advertising upcoming concerts on the way out? WTF?
Show
On my way out of the waiting area, I had to bypass a gaggle of very much non-distanced people yapping about the posters for some concerts, I believe I heard mention of Smokie having been someone's favorite band. Not THW, army, or high-viz people just right there to ungaggle people.
I was a bit surprised that anyone should be touring, or that there should be posters for any upcoming events.
I just checked that place's schedule of upcoming events. The vaccination center is booked through to June 30th. I assume the plan is that, by that time, all vaccinations will happen through people's regular physicians.
Somehow, already on June 14th, some fairly uninteresting standup comedian has a show there. Some smaller room in the rear, I suppose.
Some more standup acts, first concert in September.
Just got almost tempted to go - first musical act scheduled is Highland Saga - yes, there's BAGPIPES coming here, with traditional Scottish tunes. At €60, a wee bit steep, but I might be almost tempted to go. Might be. Were it not that the effin' world still hasn't figured out whether it wants to stop ending or not.

Well, hopefully, by then, we'll be out of the shit we're in right now (if the 7-day index of new cases per 100k tops 100 for three days running, the new "Corona emergency-stop" comes into effect. I know this includes a curfew, but obviously, city hall will only link to the text of the law, rather than fucking explaining what that means for people who didn't go to law school, because fuckit, who needs people obeying life-saving regulations).
EDIT:
Jaeger wrote:
Fri Apr 16, 2021 6:54 am
if the AZ is similar to Pfizer, just make sure you have Gatorade around to keep hydrated and fight off cottonmouth.
No Gatorade needed. Or available (I don't think I've seen it sold here since I was a kid). I felt a little pressure at the injection site for a bit. So far, them's the only side effects of Pfizer/Biontech.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

DerGolgo
Zaphod's Zeitgeist

Post by DerGolgo » Mon Apr 19, 2021 12:38 pm

Jaeger wrote:
Fri Apr 16, 2021 6:54 am
if the AZ is similar to Pfizer
Also, if I may suggest a standardization of how we refer to vaccines in the short form.

I think we should refer to the AstraZeneca vaccines as Astra.
Simply because I think our very own @AZRider shouldn't be conflated with the chimpanzee's revenge.
Unless he's into that.

DerGolgo
Zaphod's Zeitgeist

Post by DerGolgo » Tue Apr 20, 2021 3:10 am

Pfizer/Biontech review: ouch.

Woke up with joint pain, and the injection site hurt a bit. Much.
Note that I'm getting pain medications up the wazoo, for the other reason, so...

No fever (actually, slightly low temperature), no other flu-likes.

Can't remember ever having had such a reaction to a vaccine. Never had an mRNA vaccine before, either, so maybe that's it.

0l4fderstout
Maltov Rattlecan

Post by 0l4fderstout » Sat Apr 24, 2021 12:46 pm

Jaeger wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 6:34 am
0l4fderstout wrote:
Gatorade. Stock up on Gatorade and drink a bottle or two before you go to sleep. Seems to help blunt some of the symptoms from the shot.

--Jaeger
Failed to do so. Holy fuck the next day sucked and day 2 was pretty rough.

felt better by Thursday though.

0l4fderstout
Maltov Rattlecan

Post by 0l4fderstout » Sat Apr 24, 2021 12:47 pm

DerGolgo wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 3:10 am

Woke up with joint pain,
Every fucking joint hurt. In that jammed it kind of way. Ugh.

Bigshankhank

Post by Bigshankhank » Sat Apr 24, 2021 2:12 pm

Shot #2 injected this afternoon. Loaded up on sports drank and rest.
-Davros

DerGolgo
Zaphod's Zeitgeist

Post by DerGolgo » Sun Apr 25, 2021 2:43 am

The new Covid regulations are now in effect.

As of Saturday, federal law now dictates a bunch of new stuff, for any city/county with more than 150 new infections per 100k in the past 7 days for 3 days running.

10PM to 5AM curfew (minimum, any community may extend that). Exceptions for individuals individually exercising, commuting, go to the doctor for medical emergencies/doctors visiting patients for that.
In my region, there are many, many small roadside kiosks for newspapers, tobacco products, refreshments, and candy. That's a regional thing here. Conceivably, those may qualify as essential, selling groceries.
Also, walking around in public in sweatpants is, while not tasteful, common and generally unremarkable.
So I can already see people "exercising" and "just stopping by" one of those kiosks "just to pick up a red bull" or a "post jogging beer".
Of course I'm just out jogging, look at me! Sweatpants!

Anyone with an office job, the employer must now let them work from home. Many already did since this began, but not all. Those shit employers now have no legal choice in the matter.

Parents who previously had 20 days of paid child-sick-days (for when the kid is sick and parent must take care of them) per kid per year, that has been increased to 30 days. Single parents had 40, now have 60.

A whole bunch of stuff gets shut down. The regulations for schools and kindergartens are mind-bogglingly complex and detailed.
If I have a fresh negative test, I can go to the zoo (but only the outdoor bits).
Stores that are not essential (are not drugstores, grocery stores, etc.) may only do curbside pickup. If the new infections drop below the line again, they may do customer visits with previously arranged appointments, and the customer must present a fresh negative test.

Jaeger
Baron von Scrapple

Post by Jaeger » Sun Apr 25, 2021 8:03 am

0l4fderstout wrote:
Sat Apr 24, 2021 12:46 pm
Jaeger wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 6:34 am
0l4fderstout wrote:

--Jaeger
Failed to do so. Holy fuck the next day sucked and day 2 was pretty rough.

felt better by Thursday though.
Suck. Still, better than a ventilator. Worst we had was nasty cottonmouth but I have talked to others who had the achey stiffness. They were not complimentary of the experience.
Bigshankhank wrote:
Sat Apr 24, 2021 2:12 pm
Shot #2 injected this afternoon. Loaded up on sports drank and rest.
...and?
DerGolgo wrote:
Sun Apr 25, 2021 2:43 am
The new Covid regulations are now in effect.

As of Saturday, federal law now dictates a bunch of new stuff, for any city/county with more than 150 new infections per 100k in the past 7 days for 3 days running. ....
Yikes. Good luck. At least they're taking shit seriously?

--Jaeger
<<NEUTIQUAM ERRO>>

Bigshankhank

Post by Bigshankhank » Mon Apr 26, 2021 4:23 am

Yesterday (1st day after 2nd shot) was rough I gotta admit. All over body pain/ache, shivers, I slept about 4 hours in the middle of the day to try and get past it. Today I am feeling fine again. Def better than permanent lung damage.
-Davros

DerGolgo
Zaphod's Zeitgeist

Post by DerGolgo » Mon Apr 26, 2021 8:42 am

The other week, when the vaccination center had initially referred me to my GP, I had been put on an indefinite waiting list, and been warned "not any time soon".
Today, a friend (who had thus far refused to try and get the paperwork for an early vaccine, which I'm sure he could get) tells me he's getting his jab on Friday, from his GP.
Also, I get a phonecall from my GP (or the receptionist, rather), telling me I can now get a vaccine appointment. I (honestly) tell her I had forgotten to notify them, I'm already getting it elsewhere.

Conclusion: notifications went out today, GPs are finally getting serious supplies of vaccine (previously: 30 doses per practice per week - where the average practice will have something going on 2,000 regular patients) and have the green light to take care of the lesser priority cases. FINALLY shit is getting done!
Jaeger wrote:
Sun Apr 25, 2021 8:03 am

Yikes. Good luck. At least they're taking shit seriously?

--Jaeger
They are slowly getting around to it. Now that they have run out of surreptitious Covid-graft opportunities.

Antifa groups are protesting the curfew, packed in with their counter-protests against the covidiots. Tricky terrain there.
Instead of a curfew, they demand, there should finally be a proper lockdown, New Zealand stlye, and a "lockdown on capitalism". Seeing how certain people are making billions off of the crisis, while small businesses are imploding and working people have to go on welfare because of certain lockdown measures, I can't say I entirely disagree.
A proper lockdown would almost certainly be better at avoiding contacts than the curfew, and while the circulation of currency can't be (or shouldn't be) switched off, the billionaire class celebrating a record year, while small businesses and working people are facing total ruin, suggests to me that a lockdown on certain things other than people might not be a bad idea.

DerGolgo
Zaphod's Zeitgeist

Post by DerGolgo » Thu Apr 29, 2021 11:38 am

I just gotta share this. The effin pandemic-panics got me.
The other day, on the radio
Show
The other day, guy on the radio was yapping about how the pandemic changed habits for many people. How people were bingeing podcasts and things. And who's podcasts.
And I shit a brick.
WE GOT A FUCKING INFLUENZA PANDEMIC, TOO?!
See, he was talking about the importance of "the influencers" (plural). Or, in potato, "die influencer" *.
Except he enunciated it, well. That way.
"The influenza" (singular) is "die influenza" in potato.

* No, not a dig. Just the glorious potato language. You may chuckle now.
Today, I took the tram to go pick up a prescription and almost freaked out
Show
The PA comes on, and the guy starts yapping about route cancellations because of the evacuation of the downtown area.
I knew we might get a curfew, but evac downtown?! At 3 pm?! WHAT THE FUCK, FUCK, FUCK IS GOING ON?!
He kept yapping on and on, what trams and trains wouldn't be serving what stops, and I'm like FFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK!! the whole time. Was there a really bad disease hotspot or something?! Were people refusing to mask up as, downtown, is mandated outdoors?!
When he finally got around to mentioning that there was a bomb being defused, I breathed a deep, masked sigh of relief.
Good grief, I was worried it'd be something dangerous!
Defusing/disposal of wartime bombs is, well. Thursday. Normal.
I just checked, it was a 1,000lbs bomb, ~6 minute drive from my digs. 1,600 ft. evac radius.
Not even an inconvenience. Boring.
If anything, I was a little surprised anyone was doing anything that might uncover a bomb in the first place.
Show
I knew that potato archaeologists got busier than ever, outright overworked, because all over the land, when the first lockdown began, people started digging holes in their gardens. Public pool is closed? I'll just build my own! Or putting up swingsets for the kids who can't go to the playground or suchlike. The Schatzämter (literally treasure offices, no, not treasury, actual treasure - we got those, so we got a department of government to deal, of course we do!) are having a field day, with anything from renaissance era jewelry to deep, dark middle-ages religious artefacts. And I'm sure some Roman shit, too. And whatever else the legionaries threw down the latrine.

And I'm sure, a bunch of those people digging holes have unearthed something explodey. When my nephew got a metal detector for his ~14th birthday (ish), literally (and actually!) the first thing he found, right in his garden, was a live, unspent heavy-AA-machine-gun cartridge (30mm ish, no clue if it had an explosive filling besides the primer and propellant charge).
The UXB people all over the potato had dozens and dozens of jobs every single day even before people got too much time on their hands and started digging - and they wouldn't even come out for small-fry like what my nephew dug up. And not even fire department, police, or THW (think ACE, but local and staffed with volunteers). My sister had to call a half dozen different public offices until she found someone who felt responsible and removed the thing. Ended up being someone from the public order department, the people who enforce all sorts of stuff that's not quite police work. They hand out (most) parking tickets, inspect restaurants for hygiene, waylay dog owners who don't pick up the poop. And remove wartime AA cartridges, apparently.

But you don't exactly go digging for your own pool in the downtown area here. Not like anyone there has an actual garden.

Jaeger
Baron von Scrapple

Post by Jaeger » Thu May 13, 2021 10:40 am

Holy shit! Just in at the Washington Post:
WaPo wrote:CDC says fully vaccinated Americans no longer need masks indoors or outdoors in most cases

Americans who are fully vaccinated can go without masks or physical distancing in most cases, even when they are indoors or in large groups, federal officials said Thursday, paving the way for a full reopening of society.

The change represents a huge shift symbolically and practically for pandemic-weary Americans, millions of whom have lived with the restrictions for more than a year. A growing number have complained they cannot do more even after being fully vaccinated and criticized the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention of being overly cautious. More than 117 million Americans are now fully vaccinated, or about 35 percent of the population.

CDC officials cited a growing body of real-world evidence demonstrating the efficacy of the coronavirus vaccines and noted the shots offer protection even against more contagious variants circulating in the United States. They said they also factored in the country’s declining cases, and the rarity of breakthrough infections in people who are fully vaccinated. Nonetheless, officials cautioned the guidelines could change again if the pandemic should worsen. ...
LINK TO FULL NO-PAYWALL WAPO ARTICLE HERE

I'm inclined to treat this with at least some reservations, though it's certainly a good sign. I'll be curious to see what, if anything, is required to prove one is already "fully vaccinated." I'll be happy to carry around my little shot card, though surely there's a better way... phone QR code? And how much fun will it be for businesses (or anyone) to deal with noncompliance? And what will the consequences be, both legally and healthwise?

I'm still not rushing into the next crowded bar maskless. I want to wait a little while longer to make sure (1) the goddamn vaccine really does work over time; and (2) we don't see a huge uptick in cases due to people being fuckwits, vaccinated or not.

Mish and I have the shot but the Jaegerkinder are still too young. We just got 'em back into school 4 days/week, but if they show absolutely any signs of being sick we gotta pull 'em -- even in these last few weeks of school.

Anyway. I think this is good news, I just hope it doesn't make us too sloppy (which it almost certainly will).

--Jaeger
<<NEUTIQUAM ERRO>>

Pintgudge
The Big Oooola

Post by Pintgudge » Thu May 13, 2021 3:00 pm

I will be fully imune in one week, so they say. At work though, I will still wear my bandana just to piss off those assholes who have refused all along, and spat tobacco juice near my foot just because. Man, I'm looking forward to retiring!
If man is fit to be governed, is any man fit to govern?

These are the days of miracles and wonder!

'81 Goldwing Standard w/'61 Ural Sidecar

'06 Bajaj Chetak

DerGolgo
Zaphod's Zeitgeist

Post by DerGolgo » Fri May 14, 2021 3:30 am

Jaeger wrote:
Thu May 13, 2021 10:40 am

Anyway. I think this is good news, I just hope it doesn't make us too sloppy (which it almost certainly will).

--Jaeger
That was my first thought. This announcement reads a bit like someone is turning off the firehose before all the flames are out.

motorpsycho67
Double-dip Diogenes

Post by motorpsycho67 » Fri May 14, 2021 4:44 am

Jaeger wrote: people being fuckwits
As reliable as the sun setting
'75 Honda CB400F
'82 Kawalski GPz750
etc.

Jaeger
Baron von Scrapple

Post by Jaeger » Fri May 14, 2021 9:13 am

I heard on the radio this morning we're close to 70% vaccinated? We're not quite there but we're close. I think they said 65%, and it wasn't clear if that's "has some vaccine" or "is fully vaccinated."

Regardless, I agree this is premature from the perspective of being extremely cautious. I expect, however, that We need to get our shit going again before the summer to try to un-fuck the economy. It's obviously a gamble.

It sounds like the remaining ∼30% of un-vaccinated 'Murkin adults largely consists of people who don't want the fuckin' shot. One of my neighbors is like that, and his wife is currently recovering from a 3-week bout with The Shit. If we wait around for these people to voluntarily get the shot we'll be waiting a looooong time. We can't do that, nor can we (ethically, legally) require them to get the shot.

Basically, fuck 'em. If the vaccine really is as good as CDC is saying then they can take their chances, I guess. I hope they keep their masks on and use hand sanitizer for a good while longer, at least for their sake.

This doesn't do immuno-compromised people any favors but a full meltdown of the economy = no hospitals, which is even worse for everyone.

It's interesting, though, that we're still required to wear masks on airplanes, which are purported to be among the BEST places to be in terms of ventilation. Admittedly, airports are horrible, but how will that be any worse than going to the goddamn mall at Christmas? Maybe the potential for international travel or cross-exposure... I dunno.

We're still going to keep our masks handy for a while to see how this shakes out. Besides, I chopped my beard down and need to let it grow in a bit. :shock:

EDIT: I just found this after I posted -- https://www.outsidethebeltway.com/cdc-g ... ated-folks

--Jaeger
<<NEUTIQUAM ERRO>>