SECURITY ADVISORY!
On 2020/11/18, suspicions were expressed that there had been a data breach.
At least some DisMembers' login data may have been compromised.

As of April 14, 2021, no further breach or news thereof has become apparent. This message just looks different because anyone who was gonna read the whole thing presumably did by now.

Please see announcement in Forum Stuff for details, and for how to change your password.
Click Here

Sportster S

Motorcycle news mah Brothahs and Sistahs! Read on or post your own.
Bigshankhank
Fully Autonomous Cock-Puncher

Sportster S

Post by Bigshankhank » Tue Jul 13, 2021 12:52 pm

https://www.harley-davidson.com/us/en/m ... ter-s.html

I mean, I for one am pretty dammed excited to see this. Yes I am a dedicated Sportster fan, and I feel like they finally allowed the design to evolve the way it should have 20 years ago rather than languishing in the shadow of the big twins (and later on the VROD). 120hp, 90+ lbft of torques, 500 wet weight, capable lean angles, and damn fine looking if I do say so. Shame they priced it so much higher than the comparable Indian Scout so hooray for Jeager's prescience there, but seriously had this bike been around in 06 when I was looking to replace my '93 883 rather than the lame-ass 50th Anniversary model abomination they did release, I would have jumped right on one. Yeah its a bit of a shame that the old engine can't continue on but such is the price of progress, this thing is wicked.
As a reminder, an article on the old UTMC front page about touring on Sportsters is what originally introduced me to Ootmik life.

It's time for Humankind to ditch the imaginary friends of our species' childhood and grow the fuck up.
-Davros

"Lasse mich deine Seele dem Herrscher der Finsternis opfern"

Let me sacrifice your soul to the ruler of darkness

Always carry a bottle of whiskey when you travel in case of a snakebite. Futhermore, always carry a small snake.

Bigshankhank
Fully Autonomous Cock-Puncher

Re: Sportster S

Post by Bigshankhank » Tue Jul 13, 2021 12:55 pm

Allow me to continue my thinking on this...
I am not a huge fan of the matching sized front-rear tires so if I had to ding this design for something, that is it. The headlight is odd but not unlikeable, and I am looking forward a few years as they develop more styling choices for this bike that may better appeal to me visually.
It's time for Humankind to ditch the imaginary friends of our species' childhood and grow the fuck up.
-Davros

"Lasse mich deine Seele dem Herrscher der Finsternis opfern"

Let me sacrifice your soul to the ruler of darkness

Always carry a bottle of whiskey when you travel in case of a snakebite. Futhermore, always carry a small snake.

xtian
Le coureur de lames chasse Tinti...

Post by xtian » Wed Jul 14, 2021 12:31 am

bulky look, balloon tyres and giant exhaust makes it look like the evil knievel stunt cycle toy . :D
interesting base, I'll wait to see a version with double disk, decent seat, adult wheels, suspension travel, rear set pegs and this and that (that the sportster didn't have either anyway).
I'm not really from around here.

Jaeger
Baron von Scrapple

Post by Jaeger » Wed Jul 14, 2021 8:58 am

Yeah, I suppose I'm glad HD is at least making an effort. Otherwise the Sportster really is just dead between either a Bonneville (for the nostalgia) or a Scout (for the cruiser angle + power).

I still wouldn't buy one on principle -- and because either of the above options are less expensive and weigh less -- but I'd certainly like to at least test ride one to compare against the Scout.

I kind've like the headlight, and I dig the way they did the exhaust. I wonder if it has better lean angles than the Scout...?

--Jaeger
Bigshankhank wrote:The world is a fucking wreck, but there is still sunshine in some places. Go outside and look for it.
<<NEUTIQUAM ERRO>>
2018 Indian Scout -- "Lilah"

motorpsycho67
Double-dip Diogenes

Post by motorpsycho67 » Wed Jul 14, 2021 11:03 pm

Not even remotely impressed

There are far better bikes available for much less
'75 Honda CB400F
'82 Kawalski GPz750
etc.

Jaeger
Baron von Scrapple

Post by Jaeger » Thu Jul 15, 2021 11:22 am

motorpsycho67 wrote:
Wed Jul 14, 2021 11:03 pm
Not even remotely impressed

There are far better bikes available for much less
Well, that kind've goes without saying, dunnit? :mrgreen"

I'm reconsidering my "i like the exhaust." different angles make it look smaller... others make it look like the bike has a growth. Not sure. I like that they're high-mounted, for sure, but...

While I'll still never buy a new HD, I'm glad they're at least TRYING to not embarrass themselves. Otherwise Polaris/Indian is just going to spank 'em.

--Jaeger
Bigshankhank wrote:The world is a fucking wreck, but there is still sunshine in some places. Go outside and look for it.
<<NEUTIQUAM ERRO>>
2018 Indian Scout -- "Lilah"

DerGolgo
Zaphod's Zeitgeist

Post by DerGolgo » Thu Jul 15, 2021 1:44 pm

Interesting.
Is this "specs creep", or whatever creep?
Once upon a time, the Sportster was HD's "entry level" model, wasn't it.
My first response was "121 hp? That can't possibly appeal to as many customers as the 883 etc. did".

Then I realized, not only do HD have a well established entry level model that's not even new anymore. And that even I have ridden (across the Cross Keys rear parking lot, but that counts!).
So, the Sportster badge now goes on a pretty hefty bike, with a pretty hefty engine, at a (comparatively) hefty price, I take it.
I wonder. How many people who have spent many happy years on a Sportster would consider this. Since it lets them "keep" the badge they are used to, while also delivering more adult performance, don't it.

I mean, consider VW (*spits*).
Once upon a time, they decided to stop ripping off Ledwinka, and replace the Beetle in their lineup, along with the entire rear-engine platform.
The larger models would be replaced by an affordable family car, the Golf. And for people with new VW (*spits*) money, but not quite Golf money, a year later, they introduced the Polo.
I think they are, at this point, on the third follow-up that's supposed to be cheap entry into Volkswagen(*spits*) ownership. I stopped paying attention at the Lupo. The Polo and Golf are still around, of course, but over the years, they gained many pounds and many features. So that people who used to have a Golf could get another Golf, only they wanted a car with features that reflected having had a career since buying their first Volkswagen (*spits*).

So is this the reason why (performance wise) the Sportster now resembling the V-Rod more than any entry level model?
OR did they inflate it because, with the "Street" range, they inadvertently already introduced a follow up for the Sportster? Couldn't/wouldn't shift any unless it was sufficiently beyond any of the Street models?
If there were absolutely anything to be afraid of, don't you think I would have worn pants?

I said I have a big stick.