SECURITY ADVISORY!
On 2020/11/18, suspicions were expressed that there had been a data breach.
At least some DisMembers' login data may have been compromised.

As of April 14, 2021, no further breach or news thereof has become apparent. This message just looks different because anyone who was gonna read the whole thing presumably did by now.

Please see announcement in Forum Stuff for details, and for how to change your password.
Click Here

COVID-19 AND INTERESTING TIMES

Motorcycle news mah Brothahs and Sistahs! Read on or post your own.
DerGolgo
Zaphod's Zeitgeist

Re: COVID-19 AND INTERESTING TIMES

Post by DerGolgo » Thu Nov 25, 2021 9:51 am

I was going to lament that on Tuesday, my town hit the highest number of new infections/100k over the prior 7 days yet. 257 and change.
But then I realized it wasn't just Tuesday - it was November 23. I was initially sure that the "11" had some conspiranoiac meaning, like the 23, but then I realized my mistake. 5/23 is the one with significance. 11/23 is just the anniversary of the day between the anniversaries of the assassinations of JFK and the assassination of Lee Harvey Oswald, respectively.
Also the 100th anniversary of Warren G. Harding signing a bill that outlawed doctors prescribing beer or liquor for medicinal purposes in the US.

So I'm back to lamenting.
Yeah, vaccination rates are not remotely what they should be, and yet, easing restrictions has been going on for months.
I mean, it's not like we had a whole preceding year to see what happens if restrictions are eased too early, right? Right?

Making the vaccine formally mandatory is still being discussed, while "2G" is required in more and more places. Like, if I want to go to a hospitality business, a fitness studio, anything marginally less essential then a grocery store, and particularly the christmas market, I have to show that I'm either "genesen" (recovered) or "geimpft" (vaccinated). Used to be 3G, 3rd having been "getested" (tested), but those quick-tests are unreliable, so they dropped it, and never moved on to 5G (though, now that I think about it, and about the many things about any 23rd, 2G+3G would have been 5G... or is it like a countdown?).
That shit is a) at leas 4 months late, should have been implemented the second that ΔVariant popped up, and b) not nearly enough.
2021-11-25 17_26_33-Corona Zahlen für Bochum - aktuelle COVID-19 Statistik - Waterfox Classic.png
No, I don't suggest vaccinations should be mandatory.
For a whole laundry-list of reasons.

[rant]
But the freedom of one ends where the freedom of another begins. And freedom comes with responsibilities - fire in a crowded theater and all that.
Vaccine-rejecting dipshipts' freedom ends where my freedom to remain alive begins. Or anybody else's. Or our freedom to not be forced to endure a miserable illness, possibly with tubes down our throats, or our freedom to not get "long covid" for however long, potentially the rest of our lives.
I'm free to not be exposed to deadly pathogens just because some dipshit has a manufactured fear of vaccines that are among the most widely-tested ever (definitely far, far more widely tested than any annual flu shot), are demonstrably safe, and safe fucking lives.
The freedom of some dipshit to refuse the jab ends where my 81 yo mother begins. Literally. Or will begin, like when she is gonna enter an elevator five minutes after dipshit has filled it up with virus-loaded aerosol. Or might begin, when she might enter that elevator, or whatever.

Besides masks and distancing, we need 2G anywhere outside a person's residence. Where "residence" is whatever hermetically sealed environment they set themselves up. Hermetically sealed including that no interpersonal contact, not even through ppe, happens between dipshit and outside society, no air escaping the environment that isn't N99 or better filtered or heat-sterilized, no sewage escapes that hasn't spent a minimum safe-period in a septic tank (requiring at least two such tanks, to maintain the shit-quarantine).
[/rant]
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

If there were absolutely anything to be afraid of, don't you think I would have worn pants?

I said I have a big stick.

Jaeger
Baron von Scrapple

Post by Jaeger » Mon Nov 29, 2021 8:53 am

Well, sounds like this new "Omicron" variant is getting people's attention.

From what I understand, instead of just being more numerous like Delta -- thereby overwhelming immune systems, even those who're vaccinated -- Omicron is "smarter," or at least conceptually has a better lockpick (i.e., spike protein). I haven't heard if it's as numerous as Delta too, everything I've heard has focused on the spike mutations.

I honestly don't understand why folks are still fighting the vaccine. I realize I'm preaching to the choir here, but are we as a species really so stupid that we can't understand "hey, this is dangerous!" without someone near and dear to us dying? That seems to be the only thing that registers with some of these fuckwits.

It's also galling that there are vaccines going to waste in richer countries when I believe South Africa, for example, only has about 25% of the population vaccinated. I'm guessing that's pretty typical of all of Africa, and I'm also guessing that it's the result of just not having enough on hand.

I understand and agree with DG's point about not making it compulsory, but.... fer fuckssakes, what's the point of living in a rich, first-world country if you don't take advantage of the perks? Really?

--Jaeger
Bigshankhank wrote:The world is a fucking wreck, but there is still sunshine in some places. Go outside and look for it.
<<NEUTIQUAM ERRO>>
2018 Indian Scout -- "Lilah"

DerGolgo
Zaphod's Zeitgeist

Post by DerGolgo » Mon Nov 29, 2021 1:52 pm

Jaeger wrote:
Mon Nov 29, 2021 8:53 am
Well, sounds like this new "Omicron" variant is getting people's attention.
I was actually confused by the name.
their disrespecting of the greek alphabet
Show
They explicitly wanted to avoid tying the name of the disease, or of any variant, to any location. Recall that Spanish Flu didn't actually start in Spain (only concrete locale I remember reading about was actually Kansas).
But what confused me is the inconsistency. There are 10 more letters in the greek alphabet between Δ and Ο.
Did they arbitrarily skip 10 letters, because Ο sounded cool? Or have there been 10 other variants identified that didn't impress enough to make the news?
A friend actually dug up part of the reason. Xi is a very rare name in China, but as it just so happened, the President of the PRC is called Xi. So Ξ was right out. Ν is commonly latinized as Nu - but not everywhere. Some languages, they call it Ny. Which might get mistaken for that big apple.
No, not kidding. I'm not angry that someone at the WHO is coming up with this stuff. Whoever does the naming conventions probably doesn't have a degree in anything other than communications or business-somethingsomething. Not a frontline scientist or some such.
But I am angry that someone has to waste time thinking up stuff like that.
Jaeger wrote:
I honestly don't understand why folks are still fighting the vaccine.
I kinda do, actually.
That is, aside from the people who aren't rejecting the vaccine as much as not having access to it. Some elderly folk, living out in the sticks, never get out really, they can't just up and treck to a vaccination center. Someone working three minimum wage jobs and who can't get paid time-off or, worse, has to somehow survive in the gig economy, just can't make the time.

But aside from more or less involuntary rejection. The malicious fucks I wish would just lock themselves up and never emerge again.
RANT
Show
They are fighting it because they are entitled asswipes. Before the 'rona, the world was already full of idiots who refused to get their kids vaccinated. Idiots who, rather than actually educating themselves, deluded themselves that measles is just a bit of a rash and not so bad, certainly nothing that, in boys, can cause infertility in later life.
These idiots grew up in a world where, on the one hand, all talking heads in the media would present their view, and gutless, corporate-run media gave it all equal weight, as if all alternative facts are equally valid. On the next hand, the idiots grew up with stories of evil big pharma, and that all natural everything is the cure-all, and homeopathy sold at the drugstore next to and just like the real medicine. Meanwhile, in the movies, they got the image of the renegade hero scientist, who figures it all out, warns everybody, voice in the wilderness...

So they brew up that cocktail of stupid where they don't have to pay attention to what other people say about something, because whatever they have to say, or what someone they think looks charming on youtube has to say, is equally valid, no facts are more valid than alternative facts. A cocktail in which they distrust anything that comes from big corporations (except the news, oddly enough, they distrust big-everything, except the news...), where they want to find that voic-in-the-wilderness renegade science hero, because that's the one who has it figured out. Like many found long ago in Andrew Wakefield *spit*.
They pick and choose some populist asswipe who smells what's going on and adjusted their message accordingly. Fucker Carlson, the fascist party here, whoever.
In the end, people see their rejection of the vaccine as some kind of heroic defiance, instead of the malicious stupid that it is.
Jaeger wrote:
It's also galling that there are vaccines going to waste in richer countries when I believe South Africa, for example, only has about 25% of the population vaccinated. I'm guessing that's pretty typical of all of Africa, and I'm also guessing that it's the result of just not having enough on hand.
Here, it has once more been suggested that, maybe, seeing how it is a GLOBAL STATE OF EMERGENCY, the patents protecting the vaccines should be temporarily set aside, so that any suitably equipped facility can produce as much vaccine as possible, specifically for the developing regions of the world.
mo rant, 'bout IP and eminent domain
Show
Turns out that, a) selling several doses of vaccine for the majority of people in the developed nations will already make them streams of money beyond the nightmares of avarice, and b) a GLOBAL STATE OF EMERGENCY, a lethal threat to the entire population of the world, is maybe a little more important than their stock prices.

In the past, it has been shown that it's entirely legal for a government, in a state of emergency or likewise, to requisition the property of private individuals or companies, to use for the good of the whole.
The entire principle of eminent domain exists specifically so that an individual can't endanger the welfare of an entire society by sitting on something that is needed to resolve a problem.

As far as I am concerned. If we can pump trillions of moneys into the economies to keep them going, so much so that for the first time since ~2009, the Eurozone is experiencing real inflation, if that is possible.
Then why the FUCK can't they pick a number of billions, hand that over to the pharma industry, and seize all the vaccine patents under eminent domain.
Because them sitting on those patents and doing nothing unless they are paid exactly what they demand, MILLIONS OF PEOPLE ARE DYING!

"Intellectual Property" is the 21st century's equivalent of what gold or crude oil were in previous centuries. That's why nobody dares touch it. The sacred markets that will fix everything, according to neoliberal gospel, wouldn't like if someone proposed that the lives of millions are more important than the IP rights of some corporations.

I don't even want to imagine what is going in across Africa. The horror stories I've seen from India were bad enough.
HOPEFULLY, the politicianuses get the memo. If the disease isn't combated everywhere in the world, if vaccination isn't carried out on anyone medically fit to be vaccinated.
Then the virus will keep spreading. And anytime it's spread, there is the chance of mutation. And since no vaccine ever has made anyone 100% resistance to whatever, natural selection will eventually produce a strain that shits on the vaccine and gets really fucking deadly.
As in, I saw someone from the WHO in an interview mention that the nightmare is it might get as lethal as ebola (50% mortality with intensive care). Not some clickbait video title, not some talking head like fucker carlson, but an actually official representative. WHO, I think, or might have been RKI.
really ranty today
Show
But the unitary neoliberal party won't tolerate the idea that the lives of people, of entire populations, is more important than the property rights of their idealized shareholder. The sacred market must never be meddled with!
Unless they need to pump money into it to prop up whatever, then it's gotta be meddled with. When it benefits the idealized shareholder. But not to save human lives, no! If the market wanted to protect those lives, the market would! We cannot know the market's will or the market's ways, for us it is just to praise and obey!
If there were absolutely anything to be afraid of, don't you think I would have worn pants?

I said I have a big stick.