LOGIN ISSUES
Because I've presently got technical incompetences with the board, password resets presently do not work automatic like.
If you can't login, click here please.
Show
If you have any problem logging in, please don't bother waiting and get in touch. Email right to the usual address (admin at...), use the contact form (bottom of index and most other pages), post in the Midget Circus, or message me directly on Facebook.
I should get the message within a few hours, but under rare circumstances, it might take me a day.

If you can login no problem, but you wish to avoid problem, try checking the "Remember Me" box where you login. I've meddled with the settings there, so even if you return here only once every couple of weeks, it should remember you fine. Provided you have cookies enabled.

If it won't remember you, and you want to be sure any failure to remember is actually such and not just an oops, please read the following (click the bar to make it "show").
Important infos about cookies
Show
To be remembered, you must have cookies enabled in your browser. Some people prefer using "private" browsing mode - which precludes cookies being placed on your device in the first place.
Some people use regular browsing mode, but may have chosen to disable all cookies in their settings. Sometimes, these people will end up tearing their hair out because a lot of websites just don't work at all, like many online stores, as many e-commerce platforms don't do bugger all without using cookies.
Me, I've got "Self-Destructing Cookies" plugins in my various browsers. Which lets me accept all cookies everywhere, smug in the knowledge that they will be deleted the instant I close that browser tab. I can even set it to delete the cookies only when I close the whole browser window, which is helpful with online stores.
And I can whitelist sites like the board, so the plugin doesn't mess with those cookies at all.

And you must use the same browser, on the same machine. Unless you're using something like a cookie manager that syncs to all your devices and things, your apple browser on your ipad won't have the delicious cookies chrome has on your PC. And unless google now manages cookies between your devices (who knows what the fuck they do), even chrome on your Android won't have the same cookies as chrome on your notebook, or chrome on your other Android.
If you wish to discuss this, follow this link.

SECURITY WHATNOW?
Once upon a when, we've had a data breach (maybe).
Click here if you don't know what that's about.
Show
If you've visited the forum at any time after November 18, 2020, you will have seen the message about a supposed data breach that may have exposed passwords. I know you will have seen it because, until today, there was a big general announcement right at the top of the everything.
Seeing how it's been nearly 18 months since that, with no further alarms getting rung, and how everyone has had 758,214 opportunities to take a minute to think about the security of their passwords, I've taken that notice down.
Follow this link for all the info that has transpired about the whole mess.

You may dismiss this message by clicking the dark X in the top right hand corner. You may have to mouse-over to see it. I assure you it's there.

COVID-19 AND INTERESTING TIMES

Motorcycle news mah Brothahs and Sistahs! Read on or post your own.
DerGolgo
Zaphod's Zeitgeist

Re: COVID-19 AND INTERESTING TIMES

Post by DerGolgo » Thu Nov 25, 2021 9:51 am

I was going to lament that on Tuesday, my town hit the highest number of new infections/100k over the prior 7 days yet. 257 and change.
But then I realized it wasn't just Tuesday - it was November 23. I was initially sure that the "11" had some conspiranoiac meaning, like the 23, but then I realized my mistake. 5/23 is the one with significance. 11/23 is just the anniversary of the day between the anniversaries of the assassinations of JFK and the assassination of Lee Harvey Oswald, respectively.
Also the 100th anniversary of Warren G. Harding signing a bill that outlawed doctors prescribing beer or liquor for medicinal purposes in the US.

So I'm back to lamenting.
Yeah, vaccination rates are not remotely what they should be, and yet, easing restrictions has been going on for months.
I mean, it's not like we had a whole preceding year to see what happens if restrictions are eased too early, right? Right?

Making the vaccine formally mandatory is still being discussed, while "2G" is required in more and more places. Like, if I want to go to a hospitality business, a fitness studio, anything marginally less essential then a grocery store, and particularly the christmas market, I have to show that I'm either "genesen" (recovered) or "geimpft" (vaccinated). Used to be 3G, 3rd having been "getested" (tested), but those quick-tests are unreliable, so they dropped it, and never moved on to 5G (though, now that I think about it, and about the many things about any 23rd, 2G+3G would have been 5G... or is it like a countdown?).
That shit is a) at leas 4 months late, should have been implemented the second that ΔVariant popped up, and b) not nearly enough.
2021-11-25 17_26_33-Corona Zahlen für Bochum - aktuelle COVID-19 Statistik - Waterfox Classic.png
No, I don't suggest vaccinations should be mandatory.
For a whole laundry-list of reasons.

[rant]
But the freedom of one ends where the freedom of another begins. And freedom comes with responsibilities - fire in a crowded theater and all that.
Vaccine-rejecting dipshipts' freedom ends where my freedom to remain alive begins. Or anybody else's. Or our freedom to not be forced to endure a miserable illness, possibly with tubes down our throats, or our freedom to not get "long covid" for however long, potentially the rest of our lives.
I'm free to not be exposed to deadly pathogens just because some dipshit has a manufactured fear of vaccines that are among the most widely-tested ever (definitely far, far more widely tested than any annual flu shot), are demonstrably safe, and safe fucking lives.
The freedom of some dipshit to refuse the jab ends where my 81 yo mother begins. Literally. Or will begin, like when she is gonna enter an elevator five minutes after dipshit has filled it up with virus-loaded aerosol. Or might begin, when she might enter that elevator, or whatever.

Besides masks and distancing, we need 2G anywhere outside a person's residence. Where "residence" is whatever hermetically sealed environment they set themselves up. Hermetically sealed including that no interpersonal contact, not even through ppe, happens between dipshit and outside society, no air escaping the environment that isn't N99 or better filtered or heat-sterilized, no sewage escapes that hasn't spent a minimum safe-period in a septic tank (requiring at least two such tanks, to maintain the shit-quarantine).
[/rant]
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

If there were absolutely anything to be afraid of, don't you think I would have worn pants?

I said I have a big stick.

Jaeger
Baron von Scrapple

Post by Jaeger » Mon Nov 29, 2021 8:53 am

Well, sounds like this new "Omicron" variant is getting people's attention.

From what I understand, instead of just being more numerous like Delta -- thereby overwhelming immune systems, even those who're vaccinated -- Omicron is "smarter," or at least conceptually has a better lockpick (i.e., spike protein). I haven't heard if it's as numerous as Delta too, everything I've heard has focused on the spike mutations.

I honestly don't understand why folks are still fighting the vaccine. I realize I'm preaching to the choir here, but are we as a species really so stupid that we can't understand "hey, this is dangerous!" without someone near and dear to us dying? That seems to be the only thing that registers with some of these fuckwits.

It's also galling that there are vaccines going to waste in richer countries when I believe South Africa, for example, only has about 25% of the population vaccinated. I'm guessing that's pretty typical of all of Africa, and I'm also guessing that it's the result of just not having enough on hand.

I understand and agree with DG's point about not making it compulsory, but.... fer fuckssakes, what's the point of living in a rich, first-world country if you don't take advantage of the perks? Really?

--Jaeger
Bigshankhank wrote:The world is a fucking wreck, but there is still sunshine in some places. Go outside and look for it.
<<NEUTIQUAM ERRO>>
2018 Indian Scout -- "Lilah"

DerGolgo
Zaphod's Zeitgeist

Post by DerGolgo » Mon Nov 29, 2021 1:52 pm

Jaeger wrote:
Mon Nov 29, 2021 8:53 am
Well, sounds like this new "Omicron" variant is getting people's attention.
I was actually confused by the name.
their disrespecting of the greek alphabet
Show
They explicitly wanted to avoid tying the name of the disease, or of any variant, to any location. Recall that Spanish Flu didn't actually start in Spain (only concrete locale I remember reading about was actually Kansas).
But what confused me is the inconsistency. There are 10 more letters in the greek alphabet between Δ and Ο.
Did they arbitrarily skip 10 letters, because Ο sounded cool? Or have there been 10 other variants identified that didn't impress enough to make the news?
A friend actually dug up part of the reason. Xi is a very rare name in China, but as it just so happened, the President of the PRC is called Xi. So Ξ was right out. Ν is commonly latinized as Nu - but not everywhere. Some languages, they call it Ny. Which might get mistaken for that big apple.
No, not kidding. I'm not angry that someone at the WHO is coming up with this stuff. Whoever does the naming conventions probably doesn't have a degree in anything other than communications or business-somethingsomething. Not a frontline scientist or some such.
But I am angry that someone has to waste time thinking up stuff like that.
Jaeger wrote:
I honestly don't understand why folks are still fighting the vaccine.
I kinda do, actually.
That is, aside from the people who aren't rejecting the vaccine as much as not having access to it. Some elderly folk, living out in the sticks, never get out really, they can't just up and treck to a vaccination center. Someone working three minimum wage jobs and who can't get paid time-off or, worse, has to somehow survive in the gig economy, just can't make the time.

But aside from more or less involuntary rejection. The malicious fucks I wish would just lock themselves up and never emerge again.
RANT
Show
They are fighting it because they are entitled asswipes. Before the 'rona, the world was already full of idiots who refused to get their kids vaccinated. Idiots who, rather than actually educating themselves, deluded themselves that measles is just a bit of a rash and not so bad, certainly nothing that, in boys, can cause infertility in later life.
These idiots grew up in a world where, on the one hand, all talking heads in the media would present their view, and gutless, corporate-run media gave it all equal weight, as if all alternative facts are equally valid. On the next hand, the idiots grew up with stories of evil big pharma, and that all natural everything is the cure-all, and homeopathy sold at the drugstore next to and just like the real medicine. Meanwhile, in the movies, they got the image of the renegade hero scientist, who figures it all out, warns everybody, voice in the wilderness...

So they brew up that cocktail of stupid where they don't have to pay attention to what other people say about something, because whatever they have to say, or what someone they think looks charming on youtube has to say, is equally valid, no facts are more valid than alternative facts. A cocktail in which they distrust anything that comes from big corporations (except the news, oddly enough, they distrust big-everything, except the news...), where they want to find that voic-in-the-wilderness renegade science hero, because that's the one who has it figured out. Like many found long ago in Andrew Wakefield *spit*.
They pick and choose some populist asswipe who smells what's going on and adjusted their message accordingly. Fucker Carlson, the fascist party here, whoever.
In the end, people see their rejection of the vaccine as some kind of heroic defiance, instead of the malicious stupid that it is.
Jaeger wrote:
It's also galling that there are vaccines going to waste in richer countries when I believe South Africa, for example, only has about 25% of the population vaccinated. I'm guessing that's pretty typical of all of Africa, and I'm also guessing that it's the result of just not having enough on hand.
Here, it has once more been suggested that, maybe, seeing how it is a GLOBAL STATE OF EMERGENCY, the patents protecting the vaccines should be temporarily set aside, so that any suitably equipped facility can produce as much vaccine as possible, specifically for the developing regions of the world.
mo rant, 'bout IP and eminent domain
Show
Turns out that, a) selling several doses of vaccine for the majority of people in the developed nations will already make them streams of money beyond the nightmares of avarice, and b) a GLOBAL STATE OF EMERGENCY, a lethal threat to the entire population of the world, is maybe a little more important than their stock prices.

In the past, it has been shown that it's entirely legal for a government, in a state of emergency or likewise, to requisition the property of private individuals or companies, to use for the good of the whole.
The entire principle of eminent domain exists specifically so that an individual can't endanger the welfare of an entire society by sitting on something that is needed to resolve a problem.

As far as I am concerned. If we can pump trillions of moneys into the economies to keep them going, so much so that for the first time since ~2009, the Eurozone is experiencing real inflation, if that is possible.
Then why the FUCK can't they pick a number of billions, hand that over to the pharma industry, and seize all the vaccine patents under eminent domain.
Because them sitting on those patents and doing nothing unless they are paid exactly what they demand, MILLIONS OF PEOPLE ARE DYING!

"Intellectual Property" is the 21st century's equivalent of what gold or crude oil were in previous centuries. That's why nobody dares touch it. The sacred markets that will fix everything, according to neoliberal gospel, wouldn't like if someone proposed that the lives of millions are more important than the IP rights of some corporations.

I don't even want to imagine what is going in across Africa. The horror stories I've seen from India were bad enough.
HOPEFULLY, the politicianuses get the memo. If the disease isn't combated everywhere in the world, if vaccination isn't carried out on anyone medically fit to be vaccinated.
Then the virus will keep spreading. And anytime it's spread, there is the chance of mutation. And since no vaccine ever has made anyone 100% resistance to whatever, natural selection will eventually produce a strain that shits on the vaccine and gets really fucking deadly.
As in, I saw someone from the WHO in an interview mention that the nightmare is it might get as lethal as ebola (50% mortality with intensive care). Not some clickbait video title, not some talking head like fucker carlson, but an actually official representative. WHO, I think, or might have been RKI.
really ranty today
Show
But the unitary neoliberal party won't tolerate the idea that the lives of people, of entire populations, is more important than the property rights of their idealized shareholder. The sacred market must never be meddled with!
Unless they need to pump money into it to prop up whatever, then it's gotta be meddled with. When it benefits the idealized shareholder. But not to save human lives, no! If the market wanted to protect those lives, the market would! We cannot know the market's will or the market's ways, for us it is just to praise and obey!
If there were absolutely anything to be afraid of, don't you think I would have worn pants?

red
Yap. Doomed for all eternity.

Post by red » Thu Dec 02, 2021 1:01 pm

I don't agree with all his points but, George Carlin once said,

"We’re going away. Pack your shit, folks. We’re going away. And we won’t leave much of a trace, either. Maybe a little Styrofoam … The planet’ll be here and we’ll be long gone. Just another failed mutation. Just another closed-end biological mistake. An evolutionary cul-de-sac. The planet’ll shake us off like a bad case of fleas."
Proud Survivor From Thread Hole 64 Campaign
1987 CBR600F Hurricane Sprawl Bike
-=High Tech / Low Life=-

DerGolgo
Zaphod's Zeitgeist

Post by DerGolgo » Fri Dec 03, 2021 4:51 am

The covidiots here are now whinging and bellyaching about a "backdoor vaccine mandate".

All non-essential retail locations are now off-limits for anyone who cannot prove they are either vaccinated or had the 'rona and recovered. Basically everything that's not a grocery store or pharmacy. Big-box (or what counts as big-box here) stores that also sell textiles, appliances, etc., count as grocery stores.
A lot of talk about how the non-essential stores could possibly enforce this.

As far as I'm concerned, it's not going far enough. It's the third decade of the 21st century. When I had to self-quarantine last year, I was able to order groceries. I know of no pharmacies that won't deliver. I don't even need the physical post-office (or, rather, the "post shop" franchise thing that are commonly found in tobacconist/newsagent/lottery stores), I can buy any postage I need online and if I cannot fit a parcel into one of the automated lockers, I can have it picked up.
When I had to self-quarantine last year, I got to try out some of this way of living. A few accommodations had to be made, but it's entirely workable.
In my urban area, anyways.

Sure, anyone who has to live life like that would have to spend a little more money than otherwise. But guess what, that's the price of refusing a demonstrably safe vaccine.

red

Post by red » Tue Dec 21, 2021 5:40 am

Well... my state is one of the worst in the country for vaccine rates, and now, infections. All of the hospitals near me are over capacity, 95% of the COVID patients are not vaccinated. FFS. They aren't going to learn are they?

We got our oldest vaccinated, but our youngest can't until Q1 of '22. So, the stress is better, but worse with the new variant.

How are you all holding up?
-=High Tech / Low Life=-

DerGolgo
Zaphod's Zeitgeist

Post by DerGolgo » Tue Dec 21, 2021 6:43 am

red wrote:
Tue Dec 21, 2021 5:40 am
We got our oldest vaccinated, but our youngest can't until Q1 of '22. So, the stress is better, but worse with the new variant.
Wish you and yours all the best there.

Here, the radio is reporting that the new variant has a great risk of infection even for people who got the booster shot. They are still protected from, like, dying, if not as much as they had been with earlier variants. But the risk of infection with this thing sounds outright improbable.

Myself, woke up with a high fever in the early hours of Friday. Like, shivering so badly, I could barely curl up in my electric blanket. Which was exactly the wrong thing, I know. But I was shivering too much to think straight, made even worse by a mean dry cough.
By the time the shivering had become so much less that I could actually grab the thermometer and hit my ear with it, too, temperature was
102°F.

Coughing was first to subside, thank goodness, followed by the violent shivering. Temp was back to normal by the evening, I just got to keep joint pain till Saturday.

Got the brain poked yesterday, and as I had suspected, PCR says I'm negative for the 'rona.

I've had episodes like that a bunch of times in 2020, and another earlier this year. See earlier pages of this thread. Basically single-day flu, starting off violently and sliding down from there. Always a day after a grocery walk.
I had a bunch of grocery walking and other chores on Thursday, so that fits. It's obviously not after every expedition, but when it comes, it comes after an expedition. I had had it last in spring, so I thought I might be rid of it.

Nobody knows nothing about what the eff is going on there. I suspect I keep catching bugs, or the same bug again and again, and my body is having none of it and goes straight to kill it with fire every time.

Besides that, I am trying to fabricobble a heating solution for my right hand. I got a foot warmer for the feet, and my left handles my vapes, that seems to do fine. But my right handles the mouse when I'm at the computer, which is most of the time.
Reason being something called Raynaud-Syndrome. Or so my neurologist suspects. Gotta see an angiologist to get confirmation.
It looks a bit like hypothermia, heat helps, and exposure to cold temperatures is a trigger. But it is not hypothermia. Other triggers include emotional stress. The peripheral arteries start going spastic, making fingers and toes look a bit like they got a hypothermia. And went down fighting, too, gathering up what looks like bruises.
To avoid new trigger situations, and long-term damage, heat is indicated.

First attempt, what appeared most obvious to me. An infrared heating lamp, like you hang in a terrarium for your reptiles.
Turns out that, if you can't see anything on your right side, and you're not yet used to the very hot thing right over your hand, you get to collect some really nasty burns.
An improvised lamp-shade-protector thing quickly fused itself to the lamp, and it was useless thereafter. Next.

Electrically heated mitts, specifically intended for keeping hands warm while typing, were a great disappointment. Tiny heating element kept the back of the hand lukewarm. No extra heat reached the fingers. Next.

Trying to put mouse and mousepad into an electric foot-warmer, kinda envelope shaped affair, smelled horribly, took up too much space, and made operating the mouse too difficult. Next.

Just placing a tine heating blacked on to of my hand was impractical for a number of reasons, and did not provide satisfactory heat, either. Next.

Right now, I'm waiting on delivery of a tiny electric space-heater. The sort that has the electric prongs on the backside and just hangs out on an outlet.

red

Post by red » Thu Dec 23, 2021 3:14 pm

One of my internet riding buddies (non UTMC) has Raynaud-Syndrome. What about a pair of heated riding glove liners, running off a battery pack, that maybe charges via USB? Or, you can fab your own. I believe @problemaddict made a vest at one point. There are some DIYs on Instructable.

My home "office" is cold too, my space heater cooks my feet and my arms and hands are cold. No R-S for me, just cold scrawny hands. I warm them up by typing harder, faster, and with more anger. Pound those keys DG!
-=High Tech / Low Life=-

DerGolgo
Zaphod's Zeitgeist

Post by DerGolgo » Fri Dec 24, 2021 7:06 am

Heated digits threadjack
Show
red wrote:
Thu Dec 23, 2021 3:14 pm
One of my internet riding buddies (non UTMC) has Raynaud-Syndrome. What about a pair of heated riding glove liners, running off a battery pack, that maybe charges via USB? Or, you can fab your own. I believe @problemaddict made a vest at one point. There are some DIYs on Instructable.
Yeah, that sounds like the next thing I will have to try. Using a space heater on my hand is unfortunately dissatisfying, since we live in the 21st century and every damn thing has to have some crude AI. Rather than a continuous flow of warm air, I get a blast of air at the maximum heat the little machine can manage, and when it decides it has reached the preset temperature, it shuts itself off again.
Problem: that seems to be a universal feature for little space heaters these days. I'm pretty confident they probably all use the same microcontroller, some just arrange those expensive buttons differently.
The only devices I've found that don't have thermostat controls like that seem to be designed to provide maximum heat, to defrost/defog windscreens and suchlike.
I have located glove heating insert thingies, just not sure what sort of glove I could put them in. I have a six button, 2 wheel mouse, and apart from the second wheel, I use all of them. And I've taught myself 10-finger typing. So it probably would have to be household cleaning-gloves or something similar, to maintain dexterity and sensitivity.
red wrote:
Thu Dec 23, 2021 3:14 pm
My home "office" is cold too, my space heater cooks my feet and my arms and hands are cold. No R-S for me, just cold scrawny hands. I warm them up by typing harder, faster, and with more anger. Pound those keys DG!
:mrgreen: You wanna be careful about giving me advice like that. The internet only has so much memory it can devote to text...

DerGolgo
Zaphod's Zeitgeist

Post by DerGolgo » Fri Dec 24, 2021 3:35 pm

Heated digits threadjack ctd.
Show
Fucking heck. Is it the 'rona, keeping people off of the road?
In recent years, we'd get riding weather as late as November, and even warm spells good for riding all the way to January.
This year is a bit colder, but shouldn't that increase demand for heated gloves?

If it does, those electric glove liners seem to have sold out domestically, and the container from China got 'rona-blocked.
Ebay and Amazon, some listings have a minimum delivery time of 7 bloody weeks. 7 weeks!
Soonest is delivery between Jan 13 and Jan 25. Straight from China, so it's damn near impossible to estimate how close they would get to that window. I would be surprised by February, nor by the first week of January. Chinese post is demented.

They aren't expensive, I'd be fully willing to pay twice as much, if I could get the thing before mid January.
Bloody hell.

Gonna order this one. Supposed to have three "speed settings". 40°C, 50°C, 60°C. Not sure I believe they actually got a thermostat.

red

Post by red » Mon Jan 03, 2022 9:45 am

The back to back holidays here are adding to an already strained system. Our hospital network had to shut down one of the immediate care centers due to the staff testing positive. Our employee health call center has had such high wait times, I had to make registry changes on the queue central controllers to increase the allowed wait time. I guess the only good that can come of this is finally hitting herd immunity, but the hard way.

My cousin and his son are both sick, both vaxxed, but his ex wife isn't and the kids had a sleep over. My boss is positive as well.

FFS....

I slightly more positive news, my youngest is now old enough to get her vaccines, just trying to get it scheduled. Not quite so available as the adult doses. After almost 2 years, I've finally give in and stopped getting dressed for work, even though I'm WFH. That says a lot, I hate sweat pants and general "comfy" clothes. My spirit is broken-ish.
-=High Tech / Low Life=-

DerGolgo
Zaphod's Zeitgeist

Post by DerGolgo » Mon Feb 07, 2022 10:01 am

I'm sitting here, noise-cancelling headphones on, and I hear something that sounds like a PA. I wonder, is there an emergency going on? Because that's the only reason anyone had done PA announcements on my street before.

Nope. It's the bloody covidiots. You better believe I closed all my windows after taking the photo.
signal-2022-02-07-184624.jpeg
What the actual flying fuckery is wrong with these people? As of today, 12.25% of the whole population of my city has tested positive for the 'rona. Adjusted to include those who got infected but remained oblivious, that’s more than 1 in 8 people in my city. Testing stations are so overloaded, they are re-opening/re-establishing some, opening new ones. One has opened up right next door. We’ve had 340 fatalities.

What the actual flying fuck is the defect with these morons that that’s not enough to convince them to pay attention to what the medical professionals have to say about it.
They are marching down my street, and when they aren’t shoving verbal diarrhea through their PA, they have the gall to play “Stand up for your rights”.
One can but hope that any videos they post of this will get copyright strikes right away.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Jaeger
Baron von Scrapple

Post by Jaeger » Tue Feb 08, 2022 7:23 am

It looks like at least they're wearing masks?

--Jaeger
Bigshankhank wrote:The world is a fucking wreck, but there is still sunshine in some places. Go outside and look for it.
<<NEUTIQUAM ERRO>>

DerGolgo
Zaphod's Zeitgeist

Post by DerGolgo » Tue Feb 08, 2022 3:51 pm

Jaeger wrote:
Tue Feb 08, 2022 7:23 am
It looks like at least they're wearing masks?

--Jaeger
Looks like, yah. Here and there, protest marches had been broken up by the cops for lack of masking.

DerGolgo
Zaphod's Zeitgeist

Post by DerGolgo » Thu Jul 07, 2022 6:10 am

As you know, I don't go out much. Like, most weeks, I'll just get groceries and maybe pick up a prescription.
Saturday, I met some friends for a beer out in the. Like, first time in months I've met anyone for anything.

Of course, the contact-tracing app goes red today. On Saturday, at some point, I was within bluetooth-range of someone who is now positive.
Gonna have to go to a testing station later today. Getting the old brain-stab. Hooray. :(

Jaeger
Baron von Scrapple

Post by Jaeger » Thu Jul 07, 2022 11:42 am

The pundits in the States have pretty universally agreed "It's not a matter of if you get it but when you get it." While grim that has the ring of truth to me.

From here it sounds like the lethality is greatly reduced -- at least for those of us who got our vaccines, thankyouverymuch -- but I'm also hearing that you might wind up with "long-COVID" even if you've had your shot. Buddy was grousing last night about still not feeling right, brain fog, etc.

As someone who rides motorcycles I'm pretty accustomed with accepting some heightened risks, but the idea of losing my sense of smell or taste for a year or more is pretty goddamn distressing.

Risk is risk, though.

We're still being moderately cautious. I'll usually go without a mask even in the grocery store or the like, but super-crowded places make me really nervous or I put on a mask. We're going to a show tonight in downtown DC that requires everyone to mask, and that's just fuckin' fine with me as we probably would anyway in a packed, stationary crowd. :)

Now if we can just keep from getting shot... :shock:

--Jaeger
<<NEUTIQUAM ERRO>>

red

Post by red » Thu Jul 07, 2022 6:41 pm

I'm following the same basic plan as @Jaeger , but I disliked crowds before, so I'm sure as still avoiding them now.
-=High Tech / Low Life=-

DerGolgo
Zaphod's Zeitgeist

Post by DerGolgo » Fri Jul 08, 2022 1:58 pm

So the quick-test was negative. Since I had the red contact-app, I got it for the reduced price of €3. No idea what it costs for anyone who doesn't have a "special circumstance". I'm pretty sure the clinical gown the lady put on must have cost a multiple of what I paid. Maybe she reuses it.

Just a surprisingly not-horrible nasal swab, though.
Previously, whenever I had reason to get tested, I had reason to get a PCR on the health insurance's dime. The old brain stab, always. Maybe my GP is just really, really brutal with the nose?

red

Post by red » Sat Jul 09, 2022 4:28 pm

The new tests don't require a grey matter sample, swab only has to go in a minimum of 3/4 inch (19.05mm).
-=High Tech / Low Life=-

motorpsycho67
Double-dip Diogenes

Post by motorpsycho67 » Sun Jul 10, 2022 5:17 pm

red wrote:
Thu Jul 07, 2022 6:41 pm
I'm following the same basic plan as @Jaeger , but I disliked crowds before, so I'm sure as still avoiding them now.
Same
'75 Honda CB400F
'82 Kawalski GPz750
etc.

Bigshankhank
Fully Autonomous Cock-Puncher

Post by Bigshankhank » Sat Jul 16, 2022 10:07 am

We are definitely seeing an uptick in cases at work again. Alas construction doesn't always allow for working from home, but just in the few weeks I have been in my new company we've had 6 people reported as Covid+. Wife and I are back to wearing masks when we go out shopping.
It's time for Humankind to ditch the imaginary friends of our species' childhood and grow the fuck up.
-Davros

"Lasse mich deine Seele dem Herrscher der Finsternis opfern"

Let me sacrifice your soul to the ruler of darkness

Always carry a bottle of whiskey when you travel in case of a snakebite. Futhermore, always carry a small snake.

Jaeger
Baron von Scrapple

Post by Jaeger » Mon Jul 18, 2022 10:35 am

I'm running hot and cold on masks. I hear this new variant is really contagious, but damned if it seems to be making a big dent here in Fairfax County, VA. The numbers still aren't that bad, though I did note that there has not been the typical dip in cases we've seen in the previous two summers.

Dunno quite what that means or implies for the upcoming winter months. Hopefully it won't be a total shitstorm.

I'm still waiting to discover that the Jaeger family has already had it and we just didn't notice. Everybody has their shots here so it might've just bounced off. Dunno.

--Jaeger
<<NEUTIQUAM ERRO>>

red

Post by red » Mon Jul 18, 2022 11:05 am

I know the numbers are a bit skewed due to at home testing, so using the hospitalization rate is a better metric. I think most people are just hitting serious pandemic fatigue. As we get closer to colder months, and more indoor activities, I'll definitely be masking again. I just ordered a new pack of masks for my kids since school is just a few weeks away.
-=High Tech / Low Life=-