COVID-19 AND INTERESTING TIMES

Motorcycle news mah Brothahs and Sistahs! Read on or post your own.
DerGolgo
Zaphod's Zeitgeist

Re: COVID-19 AND INTERESTING TIMES

Post by DerGolgo » Sun Apr 12, 2020 2:06 am

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

If there were absolutely anything to be afraid of, don't you think I would have worn pants?

I said I have a big stick.

DerGolgo
Zaphod's Zeitgeist

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
If there were absolutely anything to be afraid of, don't you think I would have worn pants?

DerGolgo
Zaphod's Zeitgeist

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

DerGolgo
Zaphod's Zeitgeist

Post by DerGolgo » Sun Apr 12, 2020 2:07 am

DerGolgo
Zaphod's Zeitgeist

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK

DerGolgo
Zaphod's Zeitgeist

The flu-like-fairy shat on my face tonight, a fucking gain.

I spoke to my GP on Thursday. About how I had flu-like symptoms a week earlier, but would very much like to shop for groceries. She said no, someone in the line at the checkout might carry something into a retirement home or whatever.
I pointed out that I'd glove up, and wear an FFP3 mask. FFP3 is the type that the law technically requires for work with patients in a virus-related quarantine.
Explanation how I can mask up like that
Show
As I've explained, I bought five at slightly elevated prices before Coronavirus came to Europe, and five more at extortionate profiteer's prices.
Two masks I keep for myself, two went to my mother, two to friends. The remaining four masks went to the hospital that's dealing with COVID cases in my city.
She was impressed. Yes, if I wore an FFP3 mask, and my exhalation would be filtered, I can go to the store, no problem.

Like many masks, mine have an exhalation valve. But I have duct-tape, and I used the mask with the fancy rubber seal that seals up the region where my beard used to be. Since I had used the mask before, I had also drenched it in isopropyl and dried it with a fairly hot blow drier.

And I took some additional precautions. Tripple gloved, so that I could use a fresh, clean glove if had to touch anything that I might not end up buying. Instead of a shirt or whatever, I wore a windbreaker I hadn't worn in almost a year. The day before my grocery walk, I hung it over a chair and coated it in isopropyl.

I took the fucking precautions a medical expert had confirmed as acceptable, and some on top of that.

When I got home from the store, I started disinfecting all my purchases. I didn't reach up to take off the mask before I had taken care of disinfecting my groceries, had stripped off the outer layer of clothing that could conceivably be "contaminated". And because of possible cross contamination, I washed my hands several times (20 second lather, 20 second vigorous rubbing under running water, taps operated by a paper tissue from a dispenser), and disinfected them with isopropyl while I was in there.

I took fucking care of the fucking hygiene! Anything that was recommended, I basically multiplied. And I cleared my grocery walk and protection for that with an experienced medical professional.

And today I wake up with joint pain, a cough, stuffy nose, and elevated temperature.
I roll up in my bed after taking my morning meds, and managed to push the temperature from elevated to fever.
It has come back down, since, but is still elevated. I wasn't able to tell whether the cough was dry, I think it may have been. My sense of smell appears unaffected.

So this is my life now. Any time I visit the grocery store, no matter how much I protect myself or the rest of the world, the flu-like fairy points her sphincter at me.
I'm not even sure whether this is the third or the fourth time. Previously, symptoms would mostly disappear within a day.

I'm fucking cursed.

DerGolgo
Zaphod's Zeitgeist

Post by DerGolgo » Sun Apr 12, 2020 2:52 am

Also, news today. Just watching BBC World.

Sir Stirling Moss has passed away after prolonged illness.
Was it COVID? I don't know. IIrc He was apparently ill for some time before the pandemic.

Non-"white" people are more likely to die
Apparently, 70% of fatalities in Chicago are black. The UK is experiencing a similar bias against ethnic minorities.
I can already see the fucking racists clapping like circus seals at this news.

Fucking assholes are vandalizing mobile phone masts
Because the conspiratards are convinced the pandemic is caused by 5G.
Meanwhile, they are cutting off mobile phone services to whatever area the tower they fucked up served. In an era when many people don't even bother having a landline anymore. But may need to call for an ambulance.
And even if the situation doesn't get that dramatic. The mobile phone network is the only connection to the outside world for many people at present.

Fucking bible-bashers haven't gotten the memo
Apparently, in some places, the authorities have to threaten anyone attending a service will be prosecuted (or as the self-righteous hubristic asswipes are gonna call it, persecuted). Whether anyone attended, in some places, they are using license-plate cameras that are normally used to catch people running red lights or speeding. With four-digit fines for the asshole who can't handle praying in their own fucking home.
This can be done in a safe way, actually.
Show
Not far from me, a few weeks ago, they set up a drive-in cinema. Possibly the first one in Germany, ever. The idea being that people get out of their abode and can do something, while also keeping a safe distance.
Today, a priest is holding the easter-sunday service at that facility, making Germany's first drive-in cinema into Germany's first drive-in church.
So people are able to keep a safe distance while following their religious tradition.
This is not something that can just be done. This needs the priests' cooperation. They are who their flock turns to to work out whether they are doing easter the way their god intended.
FFS.

Friend of mine, his mother lives in the deepest, most catholic Rhineland, in a tiny town that I believe doesn't even have a protestant church.
And THAT priest was able to figure out how to celebrate easter without spreading the plague around.
He actually looked in his holy book to come up with a solution.
Guy literally asked WWJD.
Turns out, Jesus, King of the Jews, obviously didn't celebrate the anniversary of his execution.
Instead, he had a Seder for Passover.
By official decree of the local priest, his parishioners went and celebrated Passover, with a Seder. Like Jesus did for his last meal. Priest boy didn't just make the elements of the Seder up from catholic traditions. He found a "beginner" version of the Haggadah and apparently gave his parishioners some very detailed instructions.

My friend was very impressed. He's a historian, has a master's degree. And he believes that might have been the first time in about 2,000 years that the one true church celebrated Passover, with a Seder or otherwise.

DerGolgo
Zaphod's Zeitgeist

Post by DerGolgo » Sun Apr 12, 2020 3:21 am

Good news: my temperature has dropped a little.

Pro top: don't take your temperature with an oral thermometer right after ingesting a hot beverage.

Bigshankhank
Fully Autonomous Cock-Puncher

Post by Bigshankhank » Sun Apr 12, 2020 4:57 am

DerGolgo wrote:
Sun Apr 12, 2020 3:21 am
Good news: my temperature has dropped a little.

Pro top: don't take your temperature with an oral thermometer right after ingesting a hot beverage.
Always go anal if you can. :shock:

Seriously DerG I hope you get this behind you and get back to your normal.
It's time for Humankind to ditch the imaginary friends of our species' childhood and grow the fuck up.
-Davros

"Lasse mich deine Seele dem Herrscher der Finsternis opfern"

Let me sacrifice your soul to the ruler of darkness

Always carry a bottle of whiskey when you travel in case of a snakebite. Futhermore, always carry a small snake.

Bigshankhank

Post by Bigshankhank » Mon Apr 13, 2020 10:03 am

So in service of being an essential employee, and apparently a senior-middle-upper-lower manager (as opposed to a middle-lower-junior manager), it remains necessary for me to physically be at my office every day. So be it, I don't have any bikes with me nor any project parts so I might as well be productive on a professional level. Unfortunately, our corporate overlords have determined that, much like their christian leader in the White House we must have a COVID-19 update every fucking day via a 90 minutes long Zoom meeting. So every day since week before last my day from 8:30 - 10:00am is wasted listening to every single department in our company let us know that "Nope, nothing much has changed with our group, oh wait so-and-so's neighbor had a new baby girl, don't know her name yes they were scared being in the hospital but they came out alright, oh yeah but again we are still working on the same thing." followed by a couple of prayers (yes seriously prayers since we were founded by devout christians) and today even a reference to a live prayer service given by Franklin Graham jr who decided killing students at his family's university just wasn't giving him the same chubby that the public spotlight always does.
Sigh.
It's time for Humankind to ditch the imaginary friends of our species' childhood and grow the fuck up.
-Davros

Always carry a bottle of whiskey when you travel in case of a snakebite. Futhermore, always carry a small snake.

DerGolgo
Zaphod's Zeitgeist

Post by DerGolgo » Mon Apr 13, 2020 3:47 pm

Update on the potato:
Fever is gone. Again, after a single day. DEFINITE pattern revealing itself.
Joints and limbs don't hurt more than usual.
It no longer feels like my stomach had found a way to crawl up my esophagus, and was digesting the bit behind the sinuses.

DerGolgo
Zaphod's Zeitgeist

Post by DerGolgo » Tue Apr 14, 2020 3:44 pm

Good grief. Had a Signal chat with an old friend today.
She is way, way on the smart side of the spectrum. So much so that the mechanical engineering faculty at uni had offered her a good chunk of money to change subjects from maths to their offerings.

She informed me that at this point, schools should reopen, even if only for smaller groups. When I pointed out that the WHO and RKI (Robert Koch Institute, government agency in charge) disagreed, she started going on about "at first, we were told we shouldn't wear masks, now they are talking about masks being required". And that the business sector are all just gleefully expecting bailouts, and that the whole lockdown is their making, just so that they can get a bailout.
If they wanted to revive the economy, they would introduce a UBI. I agree with that. But I find her conclusion, that the warnings etc. should not be heeded because there is no UBI a little spurious.

Then she went on complaining that nobody ist doing a test in one town, testing everybody, that they aren't even trying to understand the spread of the disease by getting a sample like that. I pointed her at all the test regimes used in other countries, the countries that didn't twiddle their thumbs while the world rolled over the table's edge. Like South Korea, who went gangbusters on testing. And the Icelandic, who really are working on testing every last of their residents, and were therefore the first to publish that as many as 50% of carriers are asymptomatic.
Quick, move the goalpost. She does that.

Finally, she presented the thesis that schools should reopen because, for many children, being stuck at home for several weeks will be just as deadly as the virus. Parents who already abuse their kids might graduate into murder of some degree. As seen in East Germany where, in the years after reunification, parents who just never had free time, were only ever at work, or at some praty-organized social event, or doing chores, these parents suddenly got to experience unemployment. Worse, they had no idea when they might get out of it, and all the social clubs etc. that had kept them busy when not at work, those had been among the first things that were done away with.
Yes, there was a significantly higher number of familiar homicides in the former GDR. A number of children, in different locations, were found dismembered and stuffed into a trash bin.

I have to agree, that last bit is worrisome.
Does not, however, remotely affect the epidemiology of novel coronavirus. Whether a kid gets infected in school, or at the playground, means nothing when kid passes it along to grandmother, who will be dead within a week.
Quite possible, as might the kid be. Children die of this shit, too.
One thing those dying seniors and kids have in common: they die alone. In a strange building, tubes stuck in every orifice, the staff running around din moonsuits. They die in a location where the perfectly healthy feel uncomfortable.
But when they die, old or young, the only perfectly healthy person nearby will be a nurse. IF that.
There are no parents to hold hands, nor kids or grandkids to provide comfort. COVIC-19 victimes die not just miserably. Their airways fail, I got to see a taste of that when I held my father's hand as he slipped away and died, complications from lung cancer.

Pintgudge
The Big Oooola

Post by Pintgudge » Wed Apr 15, 2020 4:02 am

Even if a person in intelligent in one way, they probabably won't be in all ways.

Republican buisiness cheerleaders actually say that it would be worth the deaths of some old people just to get the economy rolling sooner.

"The cure is worse than the disease!" Maybe in your opinion.

" Opinions are like assholes. Everybody has one, and everyone else's stinks!"
If man is fit to be governed, is any man fit to govern?

These are the days of miracles and wonder!

'81 Goldwing Standard w/'61 Ural Sidecar

'06 Bajaj Chetak

xtian
Le coureur de lames chasse Tinti...

Post by xtian » Wed Apr 15, 2020 12:39 pm

lockdown is now extended to may 3rd at least and my facebook friend list is getting thinner every day,
I'm not really from around here.

Jaeger
Baron von Scrapple

Post by Jaeger » Wed Apr 15, 2020 1:43 pm

xtian wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 12:39 pm
lockdown is now extended to may 3rd at least and my facebook friend list is getting thinner every day,
Here in Virginia we already know we're in lockdown until 10 June. :(

--Jaeger
Bigshankhank wrote:The world is a fucking wreck, but there is still sunshine in some places. Go outside and look for it.
<<NEUTIQUAM ERRO>>
2018 Indian Scout -- "Lilah"

DerGolgo
Zaphod's Zeitgeist

Post by DerGolgo » Wed Apr 15, 2020 1:50 pm

It's been announced that lockdown here >may< get eased on May 4th. Star Wars day.

I had to step outside my apartment today to pick up a prescription. I did not dare go to the grocery store. If I had, I would get another shitfare from the flu-like fairy. As has happened every single time I've gone on a grocery walk since this shit began. I'm concerned I still might get it, on account of having stepped outside at all.

Situation at the doctor's office was surreal. Nobody is allowed to just enter, a staff member will come and get them, or will ask for prescription requests. Unlike last time I had been there with a number of other patients, there was no long line. Everybody was trying to socially distance, or as much as is possible on the sidewalk outside of a doctor's office. Some loud conversation were had over the minimum distance.
One guy, with a cane and withered left arm, kept touching his face.
Show
Scratching a little here, fiddling with his mask there. It was driving me batty.
So I closed the distance and presented the half bottle of hand-sanitizer I still had.
"If you're going to keep touching your face," I said to him, "at least disinfect your hand."
He did not want. He claimed he had only just washed his hands, so that was perfectly safe, and nobody needs hand sanitizer yadda, yadda.
When I got to the pharmacy,
Show
about twenty minutes later, I was surprised to see that the hand-written signs announcing that disinfectant was back in stock now announced that masks, too, were back in stock.
While I waited for the pharmacist to get my pills, apparently oddly-shaped box that the robot can't handle, I heard his wife announce to no one in particular:
"Okay, these are the last masks, then we're out."
She placed about a half dozen of the plastic-envelopes that disposable masks ship in, right behind the spit-guards they got some weeks ago.
I inquired, just out of curiosity. N95 (~FFP2), which is apparently as good as is to be gotten at present.
I was again relieved that I had acquired FFP3 (>N99) masks before this shit really kicked off,
Show
and another five at profiteering-prices. I'm quite certain I wouldn't be able to get any for those prices, at present.
FFP3 being the standard legally required for masks worn by medical staff dealing with patients in quarantine for viral infections.
I have no idea what, if any, controls have been established on that supply chain. Last I heard, the orange menace somehow finagled that 200,000 masks that the Berlin police had ordered and had already paid for were basically re-routed on the airstrip, and loaded onto a plane bound for the US.

I had conveyed a pair of masks to my mother. Who should have no problem staying indoors. But who will also be 80 this summer, so if for whatever reason she must step out, she has the right gear.
And who knows, she might even use them.
I called her this evening, and was informed that she hadn't used the fine masks yet, not even when going out.
See, she still has the masks that the nurse who'd come in daily to check on my father had stashed there.
I tried explaining to her, once again, that surgical masks are made to protect the world from what the wearer exhales, and are not so good in the other direction. I pointed out to her that she could keep reusing the fine masks. As I overheard my pharmacist explaining to a customer, heating them to 70°C, like in an oven with such a low setting, won't harm the material, but will kill any bugs that might live within. I had just soaked my masks in isopropyl and, when I was in a hurry, had used my air-fryer to dry them in a hurry.
So there's a (-n actual) pro tip: heating masks to 70°C should be a good, non-chemical way of mask-maintenance.

If, miracle among miracles, I don't get my face spattered with fairy stool, I decided to finally make a batch of improvised masks, and see how far I can heat them when already placed inside a ziplock back.
The plan, if it works out:
  1. make masks from stockpile of materials
  2. place masks inside ziplock bags (the sort the TSA wants for your liquid containers to be placed in)
  3. don't seal the bags completely, leaving a half inch or so for heated air to escape, so as to not explode the bag
  4. place bags with masks in air fryer which, unlike my oven, can run below 100°C, and let's me adjust temp in 10°C increments
  5. starting at 70°C, determined the maximum temperature that a bag with mask in can withstand before changes to materials become evident
  6. if it all works out, spend the rest of the weekend making improvised masks
  7. use heat to sterilize masks in bags, ideally sealing them up before they cool down.
  8. come Monday, call my GP, and inquire about her opinion on my hygiene methodology
  9. if she approves, ask her if she actually knows where I could take/distribute/donate the masks I made. My problem-solving skills, such as they are, make me break a problem down into what appear to be manageable sub-problems. Actually making sure that whatever I'm doing needs doing, or needs doing by me, not so good at that.
On a brighter note
If you, like many, end up getting the the end of youtube, you may appreciate what I posted up in The Grinder.
It's edumacational, and much of it is free! Don't cost any money, either! Click me!

DerGolgo
Zaphod's Zeitgeist

Post by DerGolgo » Thu Apr 16, 2020 12:52 am

Yay! Woke up without a visit from the flu-like fairy!

I fear that different levels of government here may be working in different directions.
What I had earlier described here as "lockdown" is actually best described as "contact restrictions". No more than two people who don't cohabit may gather in public, larger groups only of people who do live together. That, on a federal level, remains in effect at least until Star Wars day.
Some of the states have tighter restrictions on top of that.

In my state, however, the head of the state government has announced that many businesses that had to close their doors may reopen on Monday. Presently, only the essentials (grocery stores, pharmacies, doctors' offices, post outlets) may open.
Come Monday, more or less all things that are not part of the hospitality industry may open, provided their have less than 800 m² shop area accessible to customers.
So the really, really fucking expensive furniture store downtown may reopen, but Ikea may not.

In the meantime, the wearing of masks is now "recommended" by the federal government, recommended for anyone using public transit or entering a retail outlet of any sort.

Bigshankhank

Post by Bigshankhank » Thu Apr 16, 2020 5:41 am

I feel like everyday here in Tennessee I am seeing more and more people out and about, which is worrisome. More cars on the road during my commute, more cars in the parking lot at the grocery store, more people when I chance to go inside. Not sure what is driving this upward trend. I know there has been much written about the difference between the response in Kentucky vs TN given the political affiliation of our respective governors. It will be interesting when this is all over to see the analysis of whatever data is collected.
-Davros

DerGolgo
Zaphod's Zeitgeist

Post by DerGolgo » Sat Apr 18, 2020 6:54 am

Okay. So those ziplock baggies don't handle 100°C. Good to know.
geschmolzen.jpg
Should have started testing with lower temperature, really, but that would have entailed setting up my airfryer, and I just couldn't be arsed just now.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

DerGolgo
Zaphod's Zeitgeist

Post by DerGolgo » Mon Apr 20, 2020 11:30 am

The country is spooling up again. As exemplified by the Autobahn.
When my radio alarm clock app awakes me, in time for the news on the full hour, I would ever get the traffic report shortly, at the end of the news.
For well over a month now, that traffic report had only ever been "nothing to report". Obviously. Rush hour was hush hour Yes I just came up with that on the fly and I'm really well chuffed with it.

Today, however, there were a number of holdups on the Autobahn. Most (perhaps all, didn't pay that close attention) related to roadworks. Conceivably, they were just reporting the roadworks that had started up again, no cars as yet jamming up.

In my state, as of today, non-essential retail businesses, with store areas of less than 800m², are allowed to reopen.
The wearing of masks while shopping or while on public transit is still firmly recommended. Public assemblies of more than two people remain prohibited.

Hygiene Tip:
Ever since this whole mess began, every time I got mail, I got nervous.
From the person who had printed out and assembled the letter, via any number of mail-room staff, via any number of postal employees, anyone could have smeared gawd knows what on there.
And even though I have loaded up with quite a supply of isoprpyl, drenching a letter in it would defeat the purpose of having a clean letter to read.

SOLUTION!
When I finally thought of it, I couldn't believe I hadn't come up with it earlier.
The lowest setting on my oven is 100°C, aka 212°F.
While I'm not sure that printer friendly paper will do so at the same temperature as printed books, not even halve of 451°F should entirely rule out autoignition. Baking the mail should be perfectly safe.

For me and for the letter. For virus particles, not so much. Even if you don't consider anything at such a low temperature to be baking, and classify it as slow cooking, instead. Coronavirus particles break apart at 56°C, as far as I could find out.
So I bake my mail. Works brilliantly, actually. So long as I remember not to bake window-envelopes, and to make sure nobody packed a CD-ROM amid reams of stuff.* Likewise, I wouldn't recommend doing it to a new credit card, or other sort of electronically readable plastic.
Also, care should be taken to ensure the paper does not contact exposed heating elements, as those will be hotter than the air within the oven, several times as hot.
But as long as damage from heat can be ruled, the technique should work for many things. Hooray for ovens!

*the one that I did find had come with a letter from my bank still worked, though. Not sure that had fully heated to 100°C, but anything above 56°C should have been enough, and it certainly had gotten hotter than that.

0l4fderstout
Maltov Rattlecan

Post by 0l4fderstout » Tue Apr 21, 2020 3:03 pm

Michigan is poised to be the next state that opens thanks to our asshole legislature trying to overrun the governor. My state rep is openly mocking the stay at home order on Facebook, and has been since March. We have NOT peaked and the nimrods from last week's protest just went home and probably infected grandma and their own kids. The fact is (for us) everyone's going to get it, it's just a matter of having open beds and ventilators. I live in a county with like 40 beds. No bed/vent = likely dead.

I have limited resources, as I have extra people in quarantine here because of all the places, them having to work as essential the last damage can be done here and there's enough square footage that everyone can kind of self quarantine.

I hope everyone comes out as healthy as they went in.

Also, now I have to stop drawing lemon juice dicks on the mail DerGolgo..

Jaeger
Baron von Scrapple

Post by Jaeger » Tue Apr 21, 2020 9:55 pm

Day 37
DerGolgo wrote:
Mon Apr 20, 2020 11:30 am
Ever since this whole mess began, every time I got mail, I got nervous.
There's an easier solution: just wait. The Shit doesn't last on paper very long. Last I heard, no longer than 24 hours. It's fairly fragile. It can only exist with enough moisture (e.g., water droplets), and once that's gone it's toast.

We put our mail in quarantine in the garage for a day once we get it. We deliberately leave Amazon packages on the front stoop to let them solar sterilize -- I go and kick the box over occasionally to make sure each surface gets an hour or so.
0l4fderstout wrote:
Tue Apr 21, 2020 3:03 pm
.... The fact is (for us) everyone's going to get it, it's just a matter of having open beds and ventilators. I live in a county with like 40 beds. No bed/vent = likely dead.

I think you're right -- we're all probably going to get it at some point. This exercise is just trying to put that off as looong as possible. And fuckin' YIKES on the stats! I keep thinking how nice it would be to GTFO of the I-95 'Burbclave to somewhere more rural, but yeah, we at least do have a shitload of hospitals, ventilators, etc.

We can't keep this up forever, regardless of whether or not they find a vaccine. My hope is that we did get ahead of (flatten) the curve enough that it can be contained, tracked, etc. This requires a level of cooperation that is unusual and uncharacteristic of Americans, at least of late. I hear these stories about the cell-tracking apps for contact tracing, and while it sounds creepy as fuck I can appreciate the appeal.

The goal is to put the effort in now to minimize the later effect. Exponential growth is a bitch we do not want to face.

My concern is that I'm hearing things about folks not developing immunity, and there being multiple strains of The Shit. If getting it doesn't provide at least some immunity then this really will be a raw fuckin' deal.

Otherwise, I took my first real grocery run in a month (4 weeks) yesterday. We stretched it out with neighbors getting milk and finding a local outdoor market with some basics (veg, milk, eggs). Now it's becoming something of a game to see how long we can go without buying anything -- which is a big change to how we typically operate with me hitting the store and buying a few things every day or so.

I walked out of there with two full shopping carts. It was my first real experience going out in public with the mask, etc. -- I've otherwise only been outdoors. It was odd. The goddamn mask straps cut into my ears. I was in the store for almost 2 hours finding all the stuff, and I was desperate to get the goddamn thing off upon getting out of the store. I suppose the only advantage to that particular design is that you can peel it off your face without risking external contact.

I got out for a ride on the bike Sunday -- the weather was too nice and I had an hour to spare. Even just dicking around on the roads with nowhere to go was glorious. I gotta do that more often.

--Jaeger
Bigshankhank wrote:The world is a fucking wreck, but there is still sunshine in some places. Go outside and look for it.
<<NEUTIQUAM ERRO>>
2018 Indian Scout -- "Lilah"

xtian

Post by xtian » Tue Apr 21, 2020 11:22 pm

0l4fderstout wrote:
Tue Apr 21, 2020 3:03 pm
The fact is (for us) everyone's going to get it, it's just a matter of having open beds and ventilators. I live in a county with like 40 beds. No bed/vent = likely dead.
To temper your enthusiasm, The pasteur institute just published a model stating that for all people infected (not the whole population, only the people who were detected as sick from the virus) 2,6% ended up in the hospital, and 0.53% of infected people die.
8 out of 10 dead is over 70 years old and the risk ranges from 8% for >80 to 0.001% for <20 years old
https://hal-pasteur.archives-ouvertes.f ... 1/document

So CHEER UP ! depending on your age, if you live in a county with like 40 beds. No bed/vent = around 2.6% chances you'll be likely dead at max, 0.53% if everything goes according to plans.

Other than that, I can't stand going out, too much anxiety every time there's a risk i'd walk passed someone, and i live in the city.
Mc Donalds opened its drive-in restaurant yesterday for the first time in 5 weeks so people queued for 4 hours to get a burger.
That and the toilet paper razia tells you something about the world from "after". It is going to be as shittysucky as the world "before". So far, social media showed an exponential increase in stupidity and exposed all sorts of people who so far where functioning individual of society, and now turn into experts on conspiracies about illuminati (not even joking) and evil governments . It helps staying away from social interactions.

Borders will probably remain shut all through the summer and this whole country is only something like 200 miles X 130 miles
They talk about restricting the sea side to residents only. I already hate that world "after".

DerGolgo
Zaphod's Zeitgeist

Post by DerGolgo » Wed Apr 22, 2020 4:08 am

xtian wrote:
Tue Apr 21, 2020 11:22 pm
To temper your enthusiasm, The pasteur institute just published a model stating that for all people infected (not the whole population, only the people who were detected as sick from the virus) 2,6% ended up in the hospital, and 0.53% of infected people die.
8 out of 10 dead is over 70 years old and the risk ranges from 8% for >80 to 0.001% for <20 years old
https://hal-pasteur.archives-ouvertes.f ... 1/document
So CHEER UP ! depending on your age, if you live in a county with like 40 beds. No bed/vent = around 2.6% chances you'll be likely dead at max, 0.53% if everything goes according to plans.
I looked at that document, and I'm not entirely sure whether I can believe that overall infected fatality rate.
How many (the elderly in particular) die of it, but it's not counted? Because elderly people die, anyways?

But even if it's all accurate. One in 200 infected people dying is still enough to make me nervous about non-essential stores opening back up, the economy slowly being unpaused.
I'm worried we might see a second, much worse wave, like in 1918. I know the epidemiologists probably studied exactly that ad nauseum while they got their education, and many will have studied it after, they know how that second wave came about. I'm sure they are telling the politicians exactly what must be avoided to prevent a second wave.
As far as they know, within certain margins of error, and certain risks remaining.
I wouldn't cheer up just yet.

DerGolgo
Zaphod's Zeitgeist

Post by DerGolgo » Wed Apr 22, 2020 4:45 am

Holy Fuck.

The city of Munich has cancelled the Oktoberfest.

When a terrorist bombing killed 12 and injured 213 more, the Oktoberfest went on. And I don't think that's because people in 1980 were tougher than they are now.

It's quite obvious why they have to cancel it. Hordes of people being very close to each other, with droplets of spit or beer flying everywhere, that cannot be allowed to happen.
But still. Cancelling the Oktoberfest. I think the period from 1939 to 1949 was the last time there hadn't been an Oktoberfest. And that was because of a world war.

And I just found out that some dirtbags are of course making money in dirty ways.
A company in Austria has trademarked the term "Spuckschutz", which literally is a spittle- or spitting-protector, and used to be called a "sneeze guard" in English. And are sending cease-and-desist letters to anyone who is using that term to describe the product they are selling. Complete with a five-figure bill for legal costs.
This is basically like trademarking "toilet paper", or "nail", and going after anyone using the term to describe their product.

xtian

Post by xtian » Wed Apr 22, 2020 5:30 am

DerGolgo wrote:
Wed Apr 22, 2020 4:08 am
I looked at that document, and I'm not entirely sure whether I can believe that overall infected fatality rate.
How many (the elderly in particular) die of it, but it's not counted? Because elderly people die, anyways?

But even if it's all accurate. One in 200 infected people dying is still enough to make me nervous about non-essential stores opening back up, the economy slowly being unpaused.
I didn't write the report so I won't defend it. The host talking about it specified that elderly people were not included in this report because they were part of a distinct and different dynamic of contamination. I doubt that the elderly homes are a lifestyle reference for most of the people here.
And yes, of course, I was being sarcastic, but even you could admit that going from certain death to between 0.5 to 2.6% of possible death is not bad news.

DerGolgo
Zaphod's Zeitgeist

Post by DerGolgo » Wed Apr 22, 2020 6:08 am

xtian wrote:
Wed Apr 22, 2020 5:30 am
I didn't write the report so I won't defend it. The host talking about it specified that elderly people were not included in this report because they were part of a distinct and different dynamic of contamination. I doubt that the elderly homes are a lifestyle reference for most of the people here.
Ah! That makes sense then. If the elderly are excluded, that make 0.53% sound much more realistic.
xtian wrote:
Wed Apr 22, 2020 5:30 am
And yes, of course, I was being sarcastic, but even you could admit that going from certain death to between 0.5 to 2.6% of possible death is not bad news.
Yeah, it's not bad news, indeed.

Problem is, with as many as half of the infected being asymptomatic, there is the very real chance that the majority of people presently alive might get infected. Since symptoms can range from death all the way to a bit of the sniffles, I really don't think containing it was ever in the cards.

Since the lockdown has to be lifted at some point, we may have to adopt what the Swedes have been doing as the new normal way of living.
They didn't do the locking down, instead bet the farm on social distancing and their great public health system. The latter isn't available in all countries, of course, so social distancing and public hygiene will be even more important in those countries.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... -effective
Niclas Rolander on bloomberg.com wrote: Sweden Says Controversial Virus Strategy Proving Effective
Sweden’s unusual approach to fighting the coronavirus pandemic is starting to yield results, according to the country’s top epidemiologist.
Sweden has left its schools, gyms, cafes, bars and restaurants open throughout the spread of the pandemic. Instead, the government has urged citizens to act responsibly and follow social distancing guidelines.

xtian

Post by xtian » Wed Apr 22, 2020 8:30 pm

yes, again, lock down was not destined to end the pandemic, only to slow it enough that the number of patients in IC would not be superior than the number of bed available. this stuff is here for some time and we can't afford to stay home for a year or two until - if ever possible - a cure or vaccine is found, experimented, proved efficient and mass produced.
Still, I'm old enough to remember a time when people would think they'd catch aids and die if they used public restrooms. Nowadays, with the help of science, aids is still around but does not too much stop of from having what was a normal life. (Or maybe was it thoughts and prayers) so I'm not turning my bike into a high speed zombie apocalypse escape vehicle already.

DerGolgo
Zaphod's Zeitgeist

Post by DerGolgo » Wed Apr 22, 2020 11:32 pm

News reported here in potato today:
High atmospheric concentrations of oxides of nitrogen correlate to COVID-19 mortality rates.

What gives me a little relief upon reading that is the knowledge that carburetted, air-cooled bikes traditionally run a rich enough mixture that they don't produce a lot of oxides of nitrogen to begin with.

Still, that won't keep certain people from demanding that all internal combustion vehicles be banned from urban areas.
Which, in turn, would take away the pleasure of a sunny day, hearing bikes roar through the intersection beneath my window. :cry:

DerGolgo
Zaphod's Zeitgeist

Post by DerGolgo » Thu Apr 23, 2020 12:02 am

xtian wrote:
Wed Apr 22, 2020 8:30 pm
Still, I'm old enough to remember a time when people would think they'd catch aids and die if they used public restrooms. Nowadays, with the help of science, aids is still around but does not too much stop of from having what was a normal life.
I'm not sure comparing novel Coronavirus to HIV holds up.
AIDS never killed anyone - all the little pathogens that were no longer stopped by the immune system would do that. Pneumonia, most commonly, afaik. The effect of the HIV is making us vulnerable to the deadly pathogens.

COVID-19, meanwhile, can present with anything from no symptoms at all to paralysis of the lungs. Novel Coronavirus is the deadly pathogen. COVID-19 is not something that develops slowly, over months or years, as AIDS does, but will start manifesting with acute symptoms anything between 2 and 14 days after infection.

Rather than AIDS, the model to study may be how our great grandparents' generation had dealt with seasonal flu before there were flu vaccines. Those only came in in the 1940s, in a strange symmetry (WW1 had helped spread 1918 flu through troop movements, supposedly in particular from the US to Europe, while in WW2, the US military developed the first inactivated flu-vaccine).

We will have to see if and how it mutates. If and how annual COVID season will bring COVID-20, COVID-21, ety., or COVID-19 remains largely unchanged.
With any luck, there will be a mutation, or series of mutations, that will let a non-lethal COVID-* outperform and push out COVID-19.

Or, perhaps, medical science will find the reason why so many carriers remain asymptomatic, and that reason is something simple-ish (like a single protein or something) that can be delivered as a vaccine, or a pill, or food supplement, or however.

Even then, unlike HIV, which affects only us naked apes, COVID-19 affects our damn pets. Cats and dogs, confirmed, exact same virus. In cats in particular, it appears to manifest with the same symptoms. No vaccination campaign will eradicate it with such a reservoir so close to the human population. Pets infecting humans has, afaik, not been demonstrated. Yet. Or may require some very odd circumstances, so is exceedingly unlikely.
Problem: in a large enough population, the exceedingly unlikely becomes a near certainty.
Identifying symptomatic pets and killing them may be how some countries deal with that whole problem.
And may be totally and entirely useless. When the same virus gives cats the same disease, with the same symptoms, it gives humans. And it's asymptomatic in 50% of infected humans. It's not unreasonable to expect it may just remain asymptomatic in 50% of infected cats (and possibly dogs).
Identifying symptomatic animals may be feasible, draconian and cruel as culling them may be.
But testing all pets for the virus, when even testing all humans isn't in the cards in most countries? Not going to happen.