PLEASE LOGIN TO SEE ANYTHING.
This measure is inconvenient, yes, but necessary at present.
Click below for more information.

2024 LOGIN/Posting ISSUES
Click if you have a problem.
Show

If you cannot Debauch because you get an IP blacklist error, try Debauching a second time. Someone is overzealous at our hosting company, but only on the first attempt.

If you have problems logging in, posting, or doing anything else, please get in touch.
You know the email (if you don't, see in the registration info below), you know where to find the Administerrerrerr on the Midget Circus.

Some unpleasant miscreant was firing incessant database queries at our server, which forced the Legal Department of our hosting company, via their Abuse subdivision, to shut us down. No I have none.
All I can do it button the hatches, and tighten up a few things. Such as time limits on how long you may take to compose a post and hit Debauch! As of 24/01/10, I've set that at 30 minutes for now.

To restrict further overloads, any unregistered users had to be locked out.
How do we know who is or isn't an unregistered user?
By forcing anyone who wants in to Log In.
Is that annoying?
Yes. But there's only so much the Administerrerrerr can do to keep this place running.

Again, if you have any problems: get in touch.

REGISTRATION! NEW USERS!
Registration Information
Show
Automatic registration is disabled for security reasons.
But fear not!
You can register!

Option the First:
Please drop our fearless Administerrerrerr a line.
Tell him who you are, that you wish to join, and what you wish your username to be. The Administerrerrerr will get back to you. If you're human, and you're not a damn spammer, expect a reply within 24 hoursish. Usually quicker, rarely slower.

Unfortunately, the Contact Form is being a total primadonna right now, so please send an email to the obvious address.
Posting this address in clear text is just the "on" switch for spambots, but here is a hint.

Option the Second:
Find us on Facebook, in the magnificent
Umah Thurman Midget Circus
Join up there, or just drop the modmins a message. They will pass any request on to the Administerrerrerr for this place.

Fucking Millenials

A forum for the off topic stuff. Everything from religion to philosophy to sex to humor (see why it used to be called Buggery?). All manner of rude psychological abuse is welcome and encouraged.
red
Yap. Doomed for all eternity.

Re: Fucking Millenials

Post by red » Sun May 03, 2020 6:41 pm

Bigshankhank wrote:
Sat May 02, 2020 6:44 pm
THIS MOTHERFUCKER RUNS!
Congrats!

Proud Survivor From Thread Hole 64 Campaign
1987 CBR600F Hurricane Sprawl Bike
-=High Tech / Low Life=-

Bigshankhank
Fully Autonomous Cock-Puncher

Post by Bigshankhank » Mon May 04, 2020 6:12 pm

[media] [/media]
It's time for Humankind to ditch the imaginary friends of our species' childhood and grow the fuck up.
-Davros

"Lasse mich deine Seele dem Herrscher der Finsternis opfern"

Let me sacrifice your soul to the ruler of darkness

Always carry a bottle of whiskey when you travel in case of a snakebite. Futhermore, always carry a small snake.

DerGolgo
Zaphod's Zeitgeist

Post by DerGolgo » Tue May 05, 2020 1:06 am

My gawds. I just looked at the beginning of the thread.
Not only was Obama still president. But the orange person hadn't even officially been declared republican candidate yet! The world was still some sort of normal!
If there were absolutely anything to be afraid of, don't you think I would have worn pants?

I said I have a big stick.

red
Yap. Doomed for all eternity.

Post by red » Tue May 05, 2020 5:37 am

DerGolgo wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 1:06 am
Not only was Obama still president. But the orange person hadn't even officially been declared republican candidate yet! The world was still some sort of normal!
Perhaps the resurrection of BSH's RV will start returning reality to it's normal state?

All Hail The Messiah RV!
Proud Survivor From Thread Hole 64 Campaign
1987 CBR600F Hurricane Sprawl Bike
-=High Tech / Low Life=-

Bigshankhank

Post by Bigshankhank » Tue May 05, 2020 6:56 am

DerGolgo wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 1:06 am
Keep in mind this thread started with a different machine, albeit the same model. However the Messiah RV has a nice ring to it, we used to refer to my other daughter's VW Cabrio as Zombie Jesus car after its engine shit the bed and we got it put back together and driveable again.
It's time for Humankind to ditch the imaginary friends of our species' childhood and grow the fuck up.
-Davros

Always carry a bottle of whiskey when you travel in case of a snakebite. Futhermore, always carry a small snake.

DerGolgo
Zaphod's Zeitgeist

Post by DerGolgo » Tue May 05, 2020 8:20 am

Bigshankhank wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 6:56 am
Keep in mind this thread started with a different machine, albeit the same model. However the Messiah RV has a nice ring to it, we used to refer to my other daughter's VW Cabrio as Zombie Jesus car after its engine shit the bed and we got it put back together and driveable again.
See, I was no longer even aware of that change.
I'm sure you elaborated what bug bit you to get another RV, and what happened to the first one.
About how far back should I go to find out about that?
If there were absolutely anything to be afraid of, don't you think I would have worn pants?

Bigshankhank

Post by Bigshankhank » Tue May 05, 2020 8:38 am

We got rid of the first RV last year once we hit numerous snags, including but not limited to sever frame and body rust, missing holding tanks (which are not replaceable short of custom building new ones) and electrical gremlins throughout. We found the current rig which was in better shape overall and happened to have the same engine and wheels as the previous one and so were able to swap over those parts on which we had already spent considerable funds. Even though it didn’t run I convinced all parties involved that it was a worthwhile purchase, and that faith has been rewarded. We considered keeping the 1st one but turning it in to a kitchen truck but we realized how absurd that idea really was and hauled it away.
-Davros

Jaeger
Baron von Scrapple

Post by Jaeger » Tue May 05, 2020 12:06 pm

Woo hoo! Well done!

Looks like on the vid you're still, uh, leaving a wet trail behind you wherever you go, tho. Get that sorted?

Nevertheless, BRAVO!

--Jaeger
Bigshankhank wrote:The world is a fucking wreck, but there is still sunshine in some places. Go outside and look for it.
<<NEUTIQUAM ERRO>>
2018 Indian Scout -- "Lilah"

Bigshankhank

Post by Bigshankhank » Tue May 05, 2020 3:46 pm

Jaeger wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 12:06 pm
Woo hoo! Well done!

Looks like on the vid you're still, uh, leaving a wet trail behind you wherever you go, tho. Get that sorted?

Nevertheless, BRAVO!

--Jaeger
So that wet trail is diesel leaking from a return line, and/or coolant leaking from the lower radiator hose. I knew it was leaking both juices but decided fuck it, I was leaving town later that day and I would risk burning it to the fucking ground just to say that I drove it once around the block. I already ordered the replacement diesel return lines and those will be an easy project my daughter or son or someone can handle without me being there, and frankly draining the cooling system and replacing the lower and upper radiator hoses should be a learning experience for one of them, also.
-Davros

Bigshankhank

Post by Bigshankhank » Tue May 04, 2021 12:43 pm

Today, on the auspicious 1 year anniversary of the first time we got this machine running and driving, we spent more time on it replacing (finally) the leaking diesel return lines. I pressure washed it over this past weekend as it had accumulated a considerable layer of mildew and dirt. Also last weekend I spent some time trying to get the generator to fire up and while it sputters and grumbles on starter fluid the fuel pump appears to be kaput. Still, there is life! This thing just continues to make me happy.
-Davros

DerGolgo
Zaphod's Zeitgeist

Post by DerGolgo » Wed May 05, 2021 4:02 am

Ah, the annual update! Spiffing!

I can't right now whether you had stated this before or not, but does it have a name?
Because the thought just occurred.
Being that it is large, a 1984 model, and seems to keep making dictates on your life/has become part of your family yes, of course, he's part of the family, he's part of every family, we all love him. We must love him.
"Big Brother"?
Or, if you wanna see who paid attention, some variation on "Room 101 Mobile"? "UberRoom 101"? "VRooom 101"?

Bigshankhank

Post by Bigshankhank » Wed May 05, 2021 5:08 am

Since its predecessor which started this project was predominantly brown, it was named the March Hare. Thus this was named March Hare V2.0 but I think that is generally acknowledged to be a temporary moniker.
-Davros

DerGolgo
Zaphod's Zeitgeist

Post by DerGolgo » Wed May 05, 2021 1:33 pm

Bigshankhank wrote:
Wed May 05, 2021 5:08 am
Since its predecessor which started this project was predominantly brown, it was named the March Hare. Thus this was named March Hare V2.0 but I think that is generally acknowledged to be a temporary moniker.
So, "March Hare".
Is that March the noun, like the month, or like the event that is "the March"?
Or is it the verb?
Imperative form like. "March, Hare!"
Or some adverb/adnoun foolery?
Is it the Hare that Marches? Or is it the Hare that assists others with Marching? Or the Hare that already has marched, and hence gained that honorific?

Promise. If you end up installing a bunch of Chinesium™. You must thereafter deferentially refer to it as the Long March Hare V2.0.

Bigshankhank

Post by Bigshankhank » Sat Feb 12, 2022 7:08 am

Time for my rare but repeating updates on this beast. The daughter took it all the way to Gainesville and back last weekend (approx 180miles each way) and is currently in it in Miami at some Burning Man east coast equivalent shindig. But the news is, it is going places! Interior is still a mess but the fact that it runs, steers and stops most of the time is pretty remarkable.
-Davros

Bigshankhank

Post by Bigshankhank » Wed Feb 23, 2022 4:44 pm

Post script, there was a charging problem on the trip to Gainesville which they thought they addressed with a new alternator. I had replaced the alt belt (this is an old-school setup with three separate accessory belts rather than a single serpentine one) prior to that test run but didn't test the alternator. OK so FF to the Miami trip and it still wasn't charging, like literally 0V going back into the battery so the daughter and her paramour decided to tighten the (new) belt a little more causing it to break so they just bought a spare battery and didn't shut the engine off until they reached their destination. Once there, prior to leaving they swapped batteries and ran a charger off of a generator to get it to start up and drove it home. 300 miles. Without an alternator. These old Detroit Diesel engines were dead-rat simple, I guess that's why they used them in military Hummvees.
BUT IT MADE IT.
-Davros

DerGolgo
Zaphod's Zeitgeist

Post by DerGolgo » Thu Feb 24, 2022 4:32 am

So all-mechanical injection system, I take it?

As horrible as Diseasel engines are. The idea of a vehicle that needs its battery only for lights, signals, and the radio, is oddly appealing. Driving around sans electricity. Before the crash, and after actually, I had long dreamed of having a Lanz Bulldog Roadster for the grocery run.

Reading your epic tale of AlternatorAlternatives™, @Bigshankhank, my mind wants to picture a vehicle with a hand-crank to start the engine (if you can crank-start a 10,336 cc single-cylinder hot bulb engine, and you can, you can crank start anything), and a completely separate solar panel and battery to provide the reasonable amounts of electricity that modern headlights, signals, and radio require.

Bigshankhank

Post by Bigshankhank » Sun Feb 27, 2022 5:20 am

DerGolgo wrote:
Thu Feb 24, 2022 4:32 am
So all-mechanical injection system, I take it?

As horrible as Diseasel engines are. The idea of a vehicle that needs its battery only for lights, signals, and the radio, is oddly appealing. Driving around sans electricity. Before the crash, and after actually, I had long dreamed of having a Lanz Bulldog Roadster for the grocery run.

Reading your epic tale of AlternatorAlternatives™, @Bigshankhank, my mind wants to picture a vehicle with a hand-crank to start the engine (if you can crank-start a 10,336 cc single-cylinder hot bulb engine, and you can, you can crank start anything), and a completely separate solar panel and battery to provide the reasonable amounts of electricity that modern headlights, signals, and radio require.
Yep, mechanical injection pump, driven directly off the crank. For this mechanical simplicity they are considered quite appealing to the prep/doomsday crowd.
As to your hand crank concept, with the right reduction gearing to overcome the astronomical compression ratio (20:1 IIRC) and perhaps a slave gear to crank a small charger for the glow plugs this might be doable.
-Davros

DerGolgo
Zaphod's Zeitgeist

Post by DerGolgo » Sun Feb 27, 2022 3:22 pm

Bigshankhank wrote:
Sun Feb 27, 2022 5:20 am

As to your hand crank concept, with the right reduction gearing to overcome the astronomical compression ratio (20:1 IIRC) and perhaps a slave gear to crank a small charger for the glow plugs this might be doable.
I was picturing a flywheel and centrifugal clutch maybe, but I'm sure that mostly appeals because of unnecessary complexity. Would go well with the glow-plug charger, though... crank it up, a nice, heavy flywheel, and by the time the clutch engages it to the crank, an attached dynamo might have the glow plugs going all glowy...

Such a dynamo, even if only throwing out single-digit volts, would surely be entirely sufficient to run some LED lights and signals and maybe a raido, so my solar-panel would be superfluous. Shame. :cry: