PLEASE LOGIN TO SEE ANYTHING.
This measure is inconvenient, yes, but necessary at present.
Click below for more information.

EVERYTHING IS MARKED UNREAD!!
click her for the instant fix
Show
First fix:
  • open the menu at the top
  • hit New Posts to see what's actually new and browse the new stuff from there
  • go back to the Forum Index
  • open the menu at the top again
  • click Mark forums read
    this will zero the unread anything for you, so you can strive forth into the exciting world of the new cookie thing.

Because the board got shutdown again because of a load of database, I had to fettle with the settings again.
As part of that, the server no longer stores what topics you have or haven't read.
IT IS STILL RECORDED!
But now, that information lives in a delicious cookie, rather than the forum database.

Upside: this should reduce the load of database.
Downside: if you use multiple devices to access the board, or you reject delicious cookies, you won't always have that information cookie. But the New Posts feature should take care of that.

PLEASE NOTIFY THE ADMINISTERRERRERR ABOUT ANY PROBLEMS!

2024 LOGIN/Posting ISSUES
Click if you have a problem.
Show

If you cannot Debauch because you get an IP blacklist error, try Debauching again time. It may work immediately, it may take a few attempts. It will work eventually, I don't think I had to click debauch more than three times. Someone is overzealous at our hosting company, but only on the first couple of attempts.

If you have problems logging in, posting, or doing anything else, please get in touch.
You know the email (if you don't, see in the registration info below), you know where to find the Administerrerrerr on the Midget Circus.

Some unpleasant miscreant was firing incessant database queries at our server, which forced the Legal Department of our hosting company, via their Abuse subdivision, to shut us down. No I have none.
All I can do it button the hatches, and tighten up a few things. Such as time limits on how long you may take to compose a post and hit Debauch! As of 24/01/10, I've set that at 30 minutes for now.

To restrict further overloads, any unregistered users had to be locked out.
How do we know who is or isn't an unregistered user?
By forcing anyone who wants in to Log In.
Is that annoying?
Yes. But there's only so much the Administerrerrerr can do to keep this place running.

Again, if you have any problems: get in touch.

REGISTRATION! NEW USERS!
Registration Information
Show
Automatic registration is disabled for security reasons.
But fear not!
You can register!

Option the First:
Please drop our fearless Administerrerrerr a line.
Tell him who you are, that you wish to join, and what you wish your username to be. The Administerrerrerr will get back to you. If you're human, and you're not a damn spammer, expect a reply within 24 hoursish. Usually quicker, rarely slower.

Unfortunately, the Contact Form is being a total primadonna right now, so please send an email to the obvious address.
Posting this address in clear text is just the "on" switch for spambots, but here is a hint.

Option the Second:
Find us on Facebook, in the magnificent
Umah Thurman Midget Circus
Join up there, or just drop the modmins a message. They will pass any request on to the Administerrerrerr for this place.

Shut Up and Rock?

A forum for the off topic stuff. Everything from religion to philosophy to sex to humor (see why it used to be called Buggery?). All manner of rude psychological abuse is welcome and encouraged.
Muppet
Magnum Jihad

Shut Up and Rock?

Post by Muppet » Tue Aug 24, 2004 10:44 am

Personally, I think Jello Biafra needs to bitch slap Alice for this shit.

--Rock veteran Alice Cooper has lashed out against musicians campaigning for politicians. Cooper told the Canadian Press, "To me, that's treason. I call it treason against rock 'n' roll because rock is the antithesis of politics. Rock should never be in bed with politics. When I was a kid and my parents would start talking about politics, I'd run to my room and put on the Rolling Stones as loud as I could. So when I see all these rock stars up there talking politics, it makes me sick." The singer added, "If you're listening to a rock star in order to get your information on who to vote for, you're a bigger moron than they are. Why are we rock stars? Because we're morons. We sleep all day, we play music at night, and very rarely do we sit around reading The Washington Journal." --

"Does he have a motorcycle? If you're going to throw your life away, he better have a motorcycle!"

Dewey
Magnum Jihad

Post by Dewey » Tue Aug 24, 2004 11:38 am

I agree with Alice 100%. Thanks to free speach artists have the right to say whatever they want and usually have a large audience available to hear their babblings. That said, having experienced this first-hand at a Pearl Jam show last year I personally found it quite annoying. I didn't pay a significant amount of money to hear Eddie Vedder's view on Iraq. I was there to relax, drink a few, and hear some rock-n-roll.

If I want to hear someone's view on politics, I tune into Meet the Press. I don't want to listen to James Carville sing, "Bad to the Bone" and I sure as hell don't want to listen to Tommy Lee's views on the Mid-East!!
Dewey
Tuono

rhinoviper
Toe-Draggin' Speed Monkey

Post by rhinoviper » Tue Aug 24, 2004 12:03 pm

Dewey wrote:I agree with Alice 100%. Thanks to free speach artists have the right to say whatever they want and usually have a large audience available to hear their babblings.
But isn't it the politicians who created and continue to uphold free speech?

I'm curious as to when Alice Cooper said the quoted statement. Source, Muppet? The reason I say it is because he refers to a group of people as morons, and yet he continues to be an upstanding member of his community and participates in many charity events. Why should I listen to a rocker telling me what charities to support but not which politician to vote for? It's all marketing and money coupled with a popularity contest.
'00 SV650 "Banshee"
'03 Aprilia Tuono "dewey"

ladyracer
Maltov Rattlecan

Post by ladyracer » Tue Aug 24, 2004 12:19 pm

It's hard when you're an artist and you feel strongly about something and you know you have the power to reach people. People who listen to the rock and roll singers or those stupid loud mouth hippie actors (Rep and Dem) do, unfortunatally, vote, without doing their homework or thinking for themselves. "Uh yeah, Eddie Vedder and Ben Affleck said war is bad and that too many people have died, so, uh, I'm voting for Kerry." (not picking canidate favorites, not personal opinion, just an example)
God gazes at you with love because you were His idea!

Dewey
Magnum Jihad

Post by Dewey » Tue Aug 24, 2004 1:07 pm

rhinoviper wrote:
Dewey wrote:I agree with Alice 100%. Thanks to free speach artists have the right to say whatever they want and usually have a large audience available to hear their babblings.
But isn't it the politicians who created and continue to uphold free speech?
Absolutely and let's hope this never changes.

Unfortunately, many in our society don't do their homework and believe the opinions expressed by others just because they're famous. It doesn't seem to matter if the speaker is educated on the topic, their popularity is what matters.

Going back to free speach, I'm a firm supporter of it, I just believe there is a forum for everything. I don't care if Eddie Vedder wants to write a book and express his political views. If he does, I won't buy it. As far as political diatribes at concerts go, I only have one thing to say. Shut up and sing!!
Dewey
Tuono

xtian
Le coureur de lames chasse Tinti...

Post by xtian » Tue Aug 24, 2004 1:17 pm

charlton heston
I'm not really from around here.

DOF
El Asbestos Pajamas

Post by DOF » Tue Aug 24, 2004 6:16 pm

"You There, in the window, looking at me, do you think I'm crazy? Do you want to shoot me down?" Another era, a singer singing out. Words relevant today. Musicians have always sung songs and spoken out. At times in history, they were the only ones who could. I hope they always will "speak out against the madness".
Suck, Squeeze, Bang, Blow. That's how singles go.

Ames
Megachiroptera Übermench

Post by Ames » Tue Aug 24, 2004 10:19 pm

I think artists have always had a unique way of looking at the world. Oftentimes, because they're removed from the politics of the times (aside from the odd sucking up to their patrons for a few spare coppers) they see things a bit more objectively than the politicians who are surrounded by sycophants and yes-men who are only trying to advance their own political agendas.

We need more voices of desent to speak up against the party line. We need more people from all walks of life to stand on a soap-box, street corner, classroom, around the office water cooler, in the coffee shop, or on the internet and say what they believe and support it with whatever facts they have. We've had our country taken from us because we were apathetic and unorganized. We need to address this. We need to point out when our leaders lead us astray and refuse to follow like simple sheep...ok, let some sheep go 'cause we need to occassionally thin out the gene-pool, but once they've gone ENOUGH!

I will not deny anyone the opportunity to use their constitutionally gaurenteed right to express themselves; just as I will feel free to express my rights by ignoring them.
Cheers,
Ames.
Whatever doesn't kill you, only makes you...stranger!
Quid Ita Serius?
You never know how much you appreciate your civil liberties until they've been violated.

Ban Guzzi
I AM THE MOTOR!

Post by Ban Guzzi » Wed Aug 25, 2004 5:05 am

Unless your Annie fuckin' DiFranco, shut up and play! You get payed (by your fans) to play music. If I wanted to know what you thought, I'd fuckin' ask ya'!!
If your music is political to begin with then its likely I agree with your viewpoint.
If your, Oh say , Alice Cooper/KISS/Deadbolt...SHUT THE FUCK UP AND PLAY SOME GODDAMN MUSIC!!! :x :x
FFFFFUUUUCCCCCKKKK!!!!!!!!

Vance
Magnum Jihad

Post by Vance » Wed Aug 25, 2004 7:06 am

Let's not forget, as it is a bit relevant, that it was that two faced fucktard Jello who said party lines had to be crossed to get the youth's attention and concerned about politics and voting and all that in one of his little "vinettes"... but when it came to endorsing a certain Gen X candidate running a status quo shaking, Gen X & Y friendly and rallying platform, refused to do so EXCLUSIVELY on the grounds the candidate wasn't a member of his (the Green) party.
Fucking hypocrite.

Find someone better suited to bitchslap Alice... maybe Henry Rollins would... but I think he'd require you allow him a little more than just a bitchslap.

All that being said...
ROCK THE VOTE and let's get this fucker and his 2EgomaniacalCrew out of the White House. And if musicians, or whoever want to join in the effort to get him out... well good for them for taking a stand.
With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied – chains us all, irrevocably."

- 2001 Aprilia RSV Mille R

Muppet
Magnum Jihad

Post by Muppet » Wed Aug 25, 2004 8:52 am

Source: http://www.alternativeforums.co.uk/inde ... om=&ucat=1&

I agree, concerts are for music. But rarely have I been to a concert where the artist did not provide some sort of side commentary, political or not. BUT, saying musicians should not be political is just... just... I don't know, beyond words.

My issue with this statement is that Alice is saying Rock HAS NOTHING TO DO with politics, which is an absolutely ignorant statement. The two, as pointed out by others, are closely tied.

As for others (or members of) who could bitch slap him:

The aforementioned Hank
Propagandhi
Anti-Flag
OPIV
Bruce Springsteen (see recent NYT op-ed piece)
Goldfinger
Any number of bands from the 60's & 70's
Bad Religion
Murphy's Law
Marilyn Manson
Green Day
Foo Fighters...
Twisted Sister
John Denver (back from the dead even)
etc., etc, etc.

and, if you click the above link, Alice has publicly said he supports Bush. But uh, that has nothing to do with politics, right?

xx
"Does he have a motorcycle? If you're going to throw your life away, he better have a motorcycle!"

smashinator
Barista of Doom

Post by smashinator » Wed Aug 25, 2004 9:26 am

One thing I love about Clutch is the only "commentary" is a quick "The score of the [insert teams here] game is [whatever]." as soon as they get on stage and then they just start rockin'. I don't even LIKE sports, and that's kinda cool.

Stage banter should be reserved for those who are really good at it. I can't count the idiot front men who say something SO STUPID about politics or religion or whatever (to quote: "Hey, it's snowing out there. Whole lotta fuckin' snowflakes." This was in MN. No shit it's snowing. Thanks pal. Incidentally, it was my favorite band at the time.) that it jars me out of my concert-going-happy-place.

Alice Cooper / the company I work for have some weird reciprocal charity thing going. I lost all respect for him when I saw him in one of our promo videos saying "[company] ROCKS!"

No. They do not.

Beemer Dan
Dark Poohbah

Post by Beemer Dan » Wed Aug 25, 2004 11:12 am

I completely agree with Ames on this one.

BTW Vance, Just because Jello stands with the Green party and won't pimp himself out to other parties doesn't mean he's two faced, it means he's dedicated.
They swore it was the correct one, but swearing doesn't make a sprocket fit where it doesn't want to. --WeAintFoundShit

Dewey
Magnum Jihad

Post by Dewey » Wed Aug 25, 2004 11:32 am

If you went to see Dita Von Tease how would you feel if she spent her first set talking about the Mid East (while fully clothed)?

Rock is definitely tied into social-political issues; I'm a little disappointed no one mentioned Rage Against the Machine. It still doesn't change the fact that as a MUSIC fan I do not want or expect to listen to a singer preach about foreign policy unless the group bases the majority of their material on political issues.

If the message is a PSA to get out and vote, that is great. If it's rantings about your pet issue, save it. Keep the commercials on TV where I can Tivo them away.
Dewey
Tuono

Ames
Megachiroptera Übermench

Post by Ames » Wed Aug 25, 2004 12:58 pm

Dewey wrote:If you went to see Dita Von Tease how would you feel if she spent her first set talking about the Mid East (while fully clothed)?
Having had the opportunity to meet and speak with her on a couple of occasions (sorry, did that sound smug? :mrgreen: ) I would gladly enjoy hearing her thoughts on political issues. And, like anyone else, I would feel free to ignore them if I felt the desire to do so.

By the way, rock-n-roll has a long and prestigious history tied to the concept of protesting political issues. Why, then, should the music and the messengers be considered as seperate things?
Cheers,
Ames.
Quid Ita Serius?
You never know how much you appreciate your civil liberties until they've been violated.

Vance
Magnum Jihad

Post by Vance » Wed Aug 25, 2004 6:55 pm

Beemer Dan wrote:BTW Vance, Just because Jello stands with the Green party and won't pimp himself out to other parties doesn't mean he's two faced, it means he's dedicated.
My issue with him is he had one of his tirades that talked about people and personas into politics crossing party lines when a candidate existed that explified a platform people could get behind... and when he was presented with an opportunity to do just that - he balked on the singular grounds that it crossed party lines. Do what he says, not what he does apparently.
With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied – chains us all, irrevocably."

Vance
Magnum Jihad

Post by Vance » Wed Aug 25, 2004 6:57 pm

Dewey wrote:If you went to see Dita Von Tease how would you feel if she spent her first set talking about the Mid East (while fully clothed)?
I for one concur with Ames. I'd love to sit and chat with her at length about politics. Ideally - I'd enjoy a nice dinner with her and Brian and Ames to sit and chat. I think it would be a totally cool experience I'd relish just as much as watching her do a fan dance.

Ban Guzzi
I AM THE MOTOR!

Post by Ban Guzzi » Wed Aug 25, 2004 9:29 pm

Vance wrote:
I for one concur with Ames. I'd love to sit and chat with her at length about politics. Ideally - I'd enjoy a nice dinner with her and Brian and Ames to sit and chat. I think it would be a totally cool experience I'd relish just as much as watching her do a fan dance.
You and Ames wouldn't be so enamored if she was missing a boob, had summer teeth, bad skin and a desire to strip afterwards (thats what strippers do).
FFFFFUUUUCCCCCKKKK!!!!!!!!

Ames
Megachiroptera Übermench

Post by Ames » Thu Aug 26, 2004 5:51 am

bandit12 wrote:
Vance wrote:
You and Ames wouldn't be so enamored if she was missing a boob, had summer teeth, bad skin and a desire to strip afterwards (thats what strippers do).
Oh, it's the "what if" game. Hey, I just answered the question that was asked. If you want to ask me if I'm shallow and inclined to only be interested in a woman's opinion if she has an attractive face and a tight body...well, that's a different question entirely.

Kind of reminds me of "Way of the Gun":
Longbaugh : I've... never killed a man.
Interviewer : I beg your pardon?
Longbaugh : I said I never killed a man.
Interviewer : I didn't ask if you had.
Longbaugh : You asked why I thought I was qualified, I think of that as qualification.
Interviewer : And I'm just wondering why that in particular strikes you as an important qualification for semen donation.
Longbaugh : I would say thats a big fucking qualification - excuse me, a very important qualification.
Interviewer : No one's ever said that before.
Longbaugh : Have you ever asked?
Interviewer : No.
Longbaugh : You should.
Cheers,
Ames.
Quid Ita Serius?

Photo
Bacon Torpedo

Post by Photo » Thu Aug 26, 2004 6:35 am

Hrmmm... I wonder what Britney Spears would say?

::resumes banging head against big, bloody spot on table::
"Brought to you, by Carl's Jr."

Gauss
Barista of Doom

Post by Gauss » Thu Aug 26, 2004 6:37 am

I tried to donate my sperm. But the people on the train just looked at me funny. But I did manage to get my very own seat, no small feat on the light rail during rush hour.

Artists that spew off with sound bites and no substance annoy the piss out of me. If I wanted to hear ill informed people regurgitating talking points, I'd go to the Internet, or FOX, or a White House press conference. Take all the angst and new found political consciousness and make a song, a poem, a painting, or an interpretive dance for me to ignore....or stay in bed with your no talent wife and invite the press in to watch her sing off key.

I used to give my dog her medicine wrapped in a piece of cheese.

And yes, it was American cheese (Fuck the Swiss with their holier than thou cheese heritage).

rhinoviper
Toe-Draggin' Speed Monkey

Post by rhinoviper » Fri Aug 27, 2004 6:47 am

Photo wrote:Hrmmm... I wonder what Britney Spears would say?
Well, apparently the republican party wants to know, too. Here's the latest..."The belly-baring pop star [Britney Spears] is being courted to attend the Republican convention in New York next week,"

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/5820977/

What's up with THAT????
'00 SV650 "Banshee"
'03 Aprilia Tuono "dewey"

lifeon2
Magnum Jihad

Post by lifeon2 » Fri Aug 27, 2004 7:24 am

they're hoping for a nipple slip
Everyday I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've stayed alive

If your gonna be dumb you gotta be tough

Beemer Dan
Dark Poohbah

Post by Beemer Dan » Fri Aug 27, 2004 8:35 pm

Vance wrote:
Beemer Dan wrote:BTW Vance, Just because Jello stands with the Green party and won't pimp himself out to other parties doesn't mean he's two faced, it means he's dedicated.
My issue with him is he had one of his tirades that talked about people and personas into politics crossing party lines when a candidate existed that explified a platform people could get behind... and when he was presented with an opportunity to do just that - he balked on the singular grounds that it crossed party lines. Do what he says, not what he does apparently.
Ok, I don't quite follow, when was this?
They swore it was the correct one, but swearing doesn't make a sprocket fit where it doesn't want to. --WeAintFoundShit

Beemer Dan
Dark Poohbah

Post by Beemer Dan » Fri Aug 27, 2004 8:43 pm

And bratney spears?? she's an example of why they continue to manufacture more efficient and sturdy hammers.
Image Image Image