PLEASE LOGIN TO SEE ANYTHING.
This measure is inconvenient, yes, but necessary at present.
Click below for more information.

EVERYTHING IS MARKED UNREAD!!
click her for the instant fix
Show
First fix:
  • open the menu at the top
  • hit New Posts to see what's actually new and browse the new stuff from there
  • go back to the Forum Index
  • open the menu at the top again
  • click Mark forums read
    this will zero the unread anything for you, so you can strive forth into the exciting world of the new cookie thing.

Because the board got shutdown again because of a load of database, I had to fettle with the settings again.
As part of that, the server no longer stores what topics you have or haven't read.
IT IS STILL RECORDED!
But now, that information lives in a delicious cookie, rather than the forum database.

Upside: this should reduce the load of database.
Downside: if you use multiple devices to access the board, or you reject delicious cookies, you won't always have that information cookie. But the New Posts feature should take care of that.

PLEASE NOTIFY THE ADMINISTERRERRERR ABOUT ANY PROBLEMS!

2024 LOGIN/Posting ISSUES
Click if you have a problem.
Show

If you cannot Debauch because you get an IP blacklist error, try Debauching again time. It may work immediately, it may take a few attempts. It will work eventually, I don't think I had to click debauch more than three times. Someone is overzealous at our hosting company, but only on the first couple of attempts.

If you have problems logging in, posting, or doing anything else, please get in touch.
You know the email (if you don't, see in the registration info below), you know where to find the Administerrerrerr on the Midget Circus.

Some unpleasant miscreant was firing incessant database queries at our server, which forced the Legal Department of our hosting company, via their Abuse subdivision, to shut us down. No I have none.
All I can do it button the hatches, and tighten up a few things. Such as time limits on how long you may take to compose a post and hit Debauch! As of 24/01/10, I've set that at 30 minutes for now.

To restrict further overloads, any unregistered users had to be locked out.
How do we know who is or isn't an unregistered user?
By forcing anyone who wants in to Log In.
Is that annoying?
Yes. But there's only so much the Administerrerrerr can do to keep this place running.

Again, if you have any problems: get in touch.

REGISTRATION! NEW USERS!
Registration Information
Show
Automatic registration is disabled for security reasons.
But fear not!
You can register!

Option the First:
Please drop our fearless Administerrerrerr a line.
Tell him who you are, that you wish to join, and what you wish your username to be. The Administerrerrerr will get back to you. If you're human, and you're not a damn spammer, expect a reply within 24 hoursish. Usually quicker, rarely slower.

Unfortunately, the Contact Form is being a total primadonna right now, so please send an email to the obvious address.
Posting this address in clear text is just the "on" switch for spambots, but here is a hint.

Option the Second:
Find us on Facebook, in the magnificent
Umah Thurman Midget Circus
Join up there, or just drop the modmins a message. They will pass any request on to the Administerrerrerr for this place.

As soon as it wears out, if ever, I'm getting another...

A forum for the off topic stuff. Everything from religion to philosophy to sex to humor (see why it used to be called Buggery?). All manner of rude psychological abuse is welcome and encouraged.
scumbag
Barista of Doom

Post by scumbag » Sat Mar 21, 2009 7:19 am

So how does one get it on the free exchange of goods? haha

I had a 60s scripto for awhile but it got lost during a drunken night. I don't know why really but the scripto just felt classier to me. Admittedly though it was not as hearty as a zippo it was just different classic cool.

It was kind of like these but with dice inside.

From Rev:
Q: What is a Doom Racer?
A: Fuck you.

Photo
Bacon Torpedo

Post by Photo » Sat Mar 21, 2009 7:37 am

Aw-w-w-w crap! I just tossed a buncha those not more than 6 months ago. I'm down to the final nitpicky details and minutae of my Dad's estate, and he used to pick those vue-lighters up from every Tom, Dick and Harry who sold stuff to the lumber mills my dad worked for. There were some naked lady ones, 2 dice inside types and few others. If I'd have only known. They were tossed into the yard sale with all the other stuff... sorry guy.
"Brought to you, by Carl's Jr."

ImEazy
Brigadier General Moustache

Post by ImEazy » Sat Mar 21, 2009 7:59 pm

scumbag wrote:So how does one get it on the free exchange of goods? haha
Well if DerGolgo doesn't want them you are more than welcome
to them. They have been sitting here for over five years unused.
scumbag wrote: I had a 60s scripto for awhile but it got lost during a drunken night. I don't know why really but the scripto just felt classier to me. Admittedly though it was not as hearty as a zippo it was just different classic cool.

It was kind of like these but with dice inside.

http://store.vintagelighters.com/mercha ... 1/s076.jpg
I used to have one of these back in high school. It was just see
thru with no cool graphics inside though.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Super Leatherman. I would consider another if this one ever wears
out. I like it better than the original leatherman and the Gerber
because it is larger and fits my hands better. The tools also lock
open which is nice. The bonesaw blade will cut through just about
anything.

A couple pics...

I do like the normal pliers on the Gerber, but hate how it will
pinch your hand in a heartbeat. DAMHIK...

2000 MZ Baghira 660cc
1982 Harley FLH ElectraGlide

Idiocy is not stupid, it's what you live with!

guitargeek
Master Metric Necromancer

Post by guitargeek » Sat Mar 21, 2009 11:02 pm

Jonny 3 Pints wrote:If I can find a way to break one of these:

I will definitely get another. Or two.
That right there is one of my favorite guitars in the world. The Fender Telecaster is bone stick stone simple and they sound great! I don't care for ashtray bridges or covers, and I like having 6 individual saddles instead of three, so I like the more modern Tele bridges. I've worked on a bunch of 'em, people tend to just play them into the ground. I've installed four or five sets of Rio Grande Big Bottom pickups. Real hot 'n' beefy bridge pickup and a nice clean, sweet vintage-style neck pickup. GREAT tone, reasonably priced, hand made in Houston, TX.

Since we're talking about guitar stuff, I'm also a big fan of Weber speakers. GREAT tone, reasonably priced, hand made in Kokomo, IN. In their vintage series speakers, the voice coil gap is CNC milled, rather than stamped, which means the tolerances are much, much tighter so you get twice the erg, which makes the speaker louder and more compliant. When they wear out, just send the speaker back to Weber for reconing. I was a big Celestion fan until I heard Webers.

What, you're still reading this shit?

Elitist, arrogant, intolerant, self-absorbed.
Midliferider wrote:Wish I could wipe this shit off my shoes but it's everywhere I walk. Dang.
Pattio wrote:Never forget, as you enjoy the high road of tolerance, that it is those of us doing the hard work of intolerance who make it possible for you to shine.
xtian wrote:Sticking feathers up your butt does not make you a chicken

Zim
Ayatollah of Mayhem

Post by Zim » Wed Dec 30, 2009 7:50 pm

Revisit, because it wore out, and I got another. It was time anyway.

The Gerber has let me down. Twice now a side clip popped off under use. Took a good five minutes of searching to recover it once.

Also, the flathead screwdriver on the end of the bottle opener chipped once, and finally snapped off a couple weeks ago. I was able to grind it down to a working tip the first time, but this time it's fragged. And it punctures bottle caps instead of popping them off.

So after a horrible shipping experience, I finally received my Christmas gift today, in all of it's motorcycle colored goodness.

Black Oxide Leatherman Surge. It's a brute. Got the bit extender and the bit kit also. I may look like a dork (even more than usual) with two sheaths on my belt, but when a damsel in distress needs a Torx,Philips, Flat-head, Robertson, Posidriv, Allen or even mini screwdriver assistance, who then, I ask, will be the dorky one?!

The blade (one of two) on the Leatherman makes the Gerber feel inadequate.

Haven't put it to good use yet, but I like that the blades, the big scissors, and the saw/file exchange doo-dad thing are accessed from the outside, without having to open the whole tool.

Still using the flashlight, every day.

Got sick of refilling the Zippo with ever-evaporating fluid without really using it. I don't smoke cigarettes, but like to keep fire with me in case a damsel in dis...

Anyway, I modded the Zippo so I wouldn't have to refill it as often.
"Every time I start thinking the world is all bad, then I start seeing some people having a good time on motorcycles... it makes me take another look." --Steve McQueen

FastCat
Δv/Δt = Whoopass

Post by FastCat » Thu Dec 31, 2009 8:29 am

Levi's on my butt, Sidi's on my feetz, a zippo® in my hip pocket, and a gerber multi-tool rides in the bandit for roadside experiments.

I also have several mini mag® lights. I keep one on the bike with the batteries installed against each other (hafta flip them around to use it but keeps them from discharging in storage). There's a mini-mag in my toolbox at work, one in my toolbox in the garge, one in the toolbox that rides in the van, one inside the glove-box of the car.

...and I'm not sure if it qualifies, being a consumable item and all, but a big +1 for Marvel's Mystery Oil® too.
guitargeek wrote:I just lubed my dad's nipples.

Rench
the Harm in Harmony

Post by Rench » Thu Dec 31, 2009 11:15 am

Zim!!! OMFG that is fragging genius!!!! You have officially been elevated to my "heroes" list! Tell me you're coming to the Rök? Please?!?

-Rench
"I'm not a schemer..."

"Do you know why it's illegal to put gasoline in a glass container?" - Piccinni

Zim
Ayatollah of Mayhem

Post by Zim » Thu Dec 31, 2009 2:10 pm

Rench wrote:You have officially been elevated to my "heroes" list!
Whoa there, you've been celebrating the New Year a bit early! I shouldn't be on ANYONE'S hero list.
Rench wrote:Zim!!! OMFG that is fragging genius!!!!
The Zippo? Wasn't my idea, and I've been scrubbing the interwebs trying to find the original. Someone posted a picture of what a Zippo might look like with matches instead of the lighter insert... I broke out the Dremel.

Not overly happy with the result either. I cut the guts and had to relocate the spring. The result is that the lid doesn't have the distinctive CLINK, and it doesn't shut tight. It needs work.

I cut away too much of the insert, flush with the edge of the lighter body, so the lid has lateral movement when fully closed. Also, the matches don't center in the insert, so closing the lid always bumps the match heads. Might have to buy another Zippo and try again, or play with the insert a bit.

The striking surface is off the side of a matchbox. Meth-heads must wonder why I'm wasting good red phosphorous. I cut it to fit the bottom of the lighter, and attached it with black permatex.
Rench wrote:Tell me you're coming to the Rök? Please?!?
No!!! I want to, but there are childcare issues, and no bike, and my employer (wife) doesn't ever give me time off because she's a meanie. And it's a bit of a haul for me. And... (excuses, excuses)
"Every time I start thinking the world is all bad, then I start seeing some people having a good time on motorcycles... it makes me take another look." --Steve McQueen

12ci
Ayatollah of Mayhem

Re:

Post by 12ci » Tue Feb 09, 2016 11:53 am

12ci wrote:Ariat ropers
must now retract Ariat endorsement.

old pair finally wore out in an unrepairable manner.

new pair made in China and uppers cracked instead of stretching during break-in period (quite literally one day of wear).

warranty status up in the air....
today you decide what tomorrow will bring

DerGolgo
Zaphod's Zeitgeist

Re: As soon as it wears out, if ever, I'm getting another...

Post by DerGolgo » Tue Feb 09, 2016 12:37 pm

Back in the 90s, when Lethermen were still fairly new and exciting, I got the following for Christmas. Still good as new. Didn't use it much, but DID abuse parts of it. Swiss quality, this one.

If there were absolutely anything to be afraid of, don't you think I would have worn pants?

I said I have a big stick.

jae
Magnum Jihad

Re: Re:

Post by jae » Tue Feb 09, 2016 1:03 pm

12ci wrote:
12ci wrote:Ariat ropers
must now retract Ariat endorsement.

old pair finally wore out in an unrepairable manner.

new pair made in China and uppers cracked instead of stretching during break-in period (quite literally one day of wear).

warranty status up in the air....
I can't speak for their non-steel toes, but I've got a couple pair of Work Hogs that I've been wearing nearly full-time over the last 6 years or so. The only reason I got the second pair was because my company at the time would buy me a pair per year, so I got some that were only different in the color. Still love them, but no provisions I can see for resoling.
There, I said it.
http://instagram.com/norrisjc
http://youtube.com/kacivic

Dying old and healthy from boredom is not an achievement.