PLEASE LOGIN TO SEE ANYTHING.
This measure is inconvenient, yes, but necessary at present.
Click below for more information.

2024 LOGIN/Posting ISSUES
Click if you have a problem.
Show

If you cannot Debauch because you get an IP blacklist error, try Debauching a second time. Someone is overzealous at our hosting company, but only on the first attempt.

If you have problems logging in, posting, or doing anything else, please get in touch.
You know the email (if you don't, see in the registration info below), you know where to find the Administerrerrerr on the Midget Circus.

Some unpleasant miscreant was firing incessant database queries at our server, which forced the Legal Department of our hosting company, via their Abuse subdivision, to shut us down. No I have none.
All I can do it button the hatches, and tighten up a few things. Such as time limits on how long you may take to compose a post and hit Debauch! As of 24/01/10, I've set that at 30 minutes for now.

To restrict further overloads, any unregistered users had to be locked out.
How do we know who is or isn't an unregistered user?
By forcing anyone who wants in to Log In.
Is that annoying?
Yes. But there's only so much the Administerrerrerr can do to keep this place running.

Again, if you have any problems: get in touch.

REGISTRATION! NEW USERS!
Registration Information
Show
Automatic registration is disabled for security reasons.
But fear not!
You can register!

Option the First:
Please drop our fearless Administerrerrerr a line.
Tell him who you are, that you wish to join, and what you wish your username to be. The Administerrerrerr will get back to you. If you're human, and you're not a damn spammer, expect a reply within 24 hoursish. Usually quicker, rarely slower.

Unfortunately, the Contact Form is being a total primadonna right now, so please send an email to the obvious address.
Posting this address in clear text is just the "on" switch for spambots, but here is a hint.

Option the Second:
Find us on Facebook, in the magnificent
Umah Thurman Midget Circus
Join up there, or just drop the modmins a message. They will pass any request on to the Administerrerrerr for this place.

POINTED STICKS!

A forum for the off topic stuff. Everything from religion to philosophy to sex to humor (see why it used to be called Buggery?). All manner of rude psychological abuse is welcome and encouraged.

IS THAT A KINFE IN YOUR POCKET OR ARE YOU JUST HAPPY TO SEE ME?

It's my Benchmde, bitch.
9%
It's my Spyderco, sucka.
11%
It's my Cold Steel shank, skank.
6%
It's my Gerber Applegate, asshole!
2%
That's my MicroTek, micro dick.
No votes
It's my Buck, BEE-YOTCH!
13%
It's much more exotic, you cretin. You've never heard of the manufacturer of my GODDAM LIGHTSABER!
16%
I've no idea. It's a knife. Who cares?
16%
I don't cary a knife. That really is just my dick.
28%

Total votes: 64

thrasherbill
Burninator of the Dirt Oval

Re: POINTED STICKS!

Post by thrasherbill » Thu Nov 29, 2012 1:21 pm

KZ's are for assholes... - scumbag
Well, if KZ riders are assholes, and CB riders are fucktards, I guess Buell riders can forthwith be known as cunts. - guitargeek
I cannot brain today, I have the dumb. - piccini9
In other news, I want to have sex with your bike. - Beemer Dan
A beard, it's like tits for your face. - MagnusTheBuilder

Pattio
Centrifugal Savant of Two Wheel Transportation

Post by Pattio » Thu Nov 29, 2012 3:52 pm

Yeth! I would love to uth my iphone ath a cutting implement! Awethome!
-Pattio-

Zer0
Professor of Poop

Post by Zer0 » Thu Nov 29, 2012 4:18 pm

thrasherbill wrote:The blade is the finest Hong Kong steel (that's sarcasm) and the whole thing weighs a ton.
Wait. So it really weighs a ton--no sarcasm?

:|

I'm sorry. I'll leave now.
'74 R90/6--Thor
'05 Sportster 1200--FrankenRat
My boy D when he was 4 wrote:Bones aren't important--we like motorcycles.
High Kommand wrote:That's the problem with giving a bike a girl's name. Too much temptation to lay it down to examine the undercarriage...

cjp
Western WA. Wandering Dervish

Post by cjp » Fri Nov 30, 2012 9:09 am

CRKT M16-12x

I used to have a nice red one of these (FD model), that I lost. I also lost at least one Military spear point version (actually I lost and found it a lot before I ever truly lost it). The clips loosen up, but I've fixed that with some locktite, and changed the pocket I use to stop losing them. Also switched to a tanto point, which I like a lot better. Solid knife, great action, the blade might not be the most rugged, but I don't hack through rebar on a daily basis, so its served me well enough. Excellent serrations on the bottom. I like me a combo blade, for sure.

The thing that really sold me on them is they are big enough for my hand, without being a /big/ knife. Most other pocket folder feel tiny in my hands. (I mistakenly ordered an M16-10x once, and it felt ridiculous).

goose wrote:Yes, it's always dangerous, however, it becomes much more dangerous when the most important piece of equipment you have, your brain, is not up to the task
Duae Rotae Optimae

thrasherbill

Post by thrasherbill » Fri Nov 30, 2012 10:24 am

Zer0 wrote:
thrasherbill wrote:The blade is the finest Hong Kong steel (that's sarcasm) and the whole thing weighs a ton.
Wait. So it really weighs a ton--no sarcasm?

:|

I'm sorry. I'll leave now.

Really. But it's a metric ton, so it's not quite as heavy as you would think.
Well, if KZ riders are assholes, and CB riders are fucktards, I guess Buell riders can forthwith be known as cunts. - guitargeek

cjp

Post by cjp » Fri Nov 30, 2012 10:34 am

Zer0 wrote:
thrasherbill wrote:the whole thing weighs a ton.
Wait. So it really weighs a ton?

The knife might not, but my uzi does.. . .

goose wrote:Yes, it's always dangerous, however, it becomes much more dangerous when the most important piece of equipment you have, your brain, is not up to the task
Duae Rotae Optimae

thrasherbill

Post by thrasherbill » Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:32 pm

Another one from my grandfather's collection. No brand on it, the blade just says Pakistan Stainless but it holds an edge well enough for salami and cheese.

cjp

Post by cjp » Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:46 pm

My favorite salami and cheese knives of late have been the classic Opinel folders.

I prefer the No.8 size myself for general use. Good to throw in a drawer, glovebox, or picnic basket. If you're just using it for salami and cheese, the standard blade is probably enough, but after getting one of each to compare, I would say don't waste your time with it, unless you want one of the fancy handle options that don't come in carbon.

Its hardly any more money to get the carbon steel version, and you get a much better blade.

No8 Carbon:

The only option I wish they had was for the nicer handles with the nicer blade. The carbons all have beechwood. I have an Oak non-carbon too, and the hardwood feel is great.

Oak No.8:

The other plus for these, is they are cheap as chips:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/Knives-Swords-B ... nkw=opinel" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Duae Rotae Optimae

piccini9
Everybody dies. It's a love story.

Post by piccini9 » Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:47 pm

i have almost the exact same one. edit I mean the one Bill posted. I used to have an opinel many years ago. Great knives.
Adding pink and unicorns makes everything better.
-roadmissile

Treatment may include things like riding motorcycles and crocheting… whatever it takes to counteract the deleterious effects of existence. - Rolly

Groove
El Monstro De La Noche

Post by Groove » Fri Jan 11, 2013 3:52 pm

I really like my Opinel #6

And my Becker BK14 (aren't these the prettiest fuzz sticks ever?!)

#############
"My new spleen came from a guy who liked the motorcycle" - Philip J. Frye

09 KLR (Gonzo)
03 SV650 (Crouchy Von Spine-Mangler)
02 KTM 640 (The Homewrecker)

Groove
El Monstro De La Noche

Post by Groove » Fri Jan 11, 2013 3:57 pm

One of my favorites is this Victorinox ALOX Cadet II Plus, built by SwissBianco:

Great Eastern Cutlery makes some cool stuff, made in Titusville PA. (O1 tool steel blade and spring)

#############
"My new spleen came from a guy who liked the motorcycle" - Philip J. Frye

09 KLR (Gonzo)
03 SV650 (Crouchy Von Spine-Mangler)
02 KTM 640 (The Homewrecker)

rolly
Tim Horton hears a Who?

Post by rolly » Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:07 pm

The greatest blade.

Sharp enough to cut raw meat without the use of serrations, but it has them anyway. Flared wide like an oversized butterknife, that one might spread mustard or turn over an egg with it. In short, the perfect sandwich knife. The zenith of cutlery. Unfortunately only available through the naive young stooges of the slightly evil Vector Marketing corporation. Not that I would know anything about that.

happycommuter
Yep. Fuckin' Idiot.

cheap, minimal

Post by happycommuter » Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:06 pm

Sick of not being able to open boxes without toting my hefty cast Stanley box-cutter around, I ordered several of these little folding razors from CountyComm.com. Turns out the company that makes them is Derma-Safe, which is about five miles away from work...
I'm particularly fond of the lime green one. I have an old Victorinox and a Buck spring-laden thing, but I don't really carry them around.

mtne
Holy DAG Master

Post by mtne » Sat Feb 01, 2014 7:23 pm

Finally picked up the Emerson cqc15 mini that I'd been eyeing....... obligatory shitty cell phone picture.

How can it be fun if there's not at least an outside chance of dying?
07' KTM 950 SE
08' Husky TE610 - Everything a KLR wants to be...
Yeah I'm a Bike Slut in remission
SmugMug pictures here, Save $5 when you join SmugMug by using this coupon zu0heHHhx9sjM
http://www.bikeshareworld.com

Jaeger
Baron von Scrapple

Post by Jaeger » Sat Feb 01, 2014 8:32 pm

Gimmie a hand or reference for perspective's sake?

Emerson makes Good Shit. From what I've seen their build quality is top-notch.

I have one of the Spyderco ripoff Enduras, and that wave-open thing totally works. (Almost too well, IMO.)

--Jaeger
Bigshankhank wrote:The world is a fucking wreck, but there is still sunshine in some places. Go outside and look for it.
<<NEUTIQUAM ERRO>>
2018 Indian Scout -- "Lilah"

Mk3
Captain Sensible, Space Command.
Location: The people's republic of Illinois Welcome comrade, join the party!

Post by Mk3 » Mon Feb 03, 2014 11:47 pm

I've been loving my new wallet:

2014-02-03_23-41-22_926 by FTGFERSBBCAAC, on Flickr

2014-02-03_23-40-52_321 by FTGFERSBBCAAC, on Flickr
"...when someone asks you if you're a god, you say "YES "!

"UTMC, it's an international disorganization of racers, aficionados, mechanics, lunatics, and scumbags. It's like an online motorcycle Mos Eisley."

mtne
Holy DAG Master

Post by mtne » Tue Feb 04, 2014 4:31 pm

Well this is the mini...... 3.5" blade which is legal here for less potential hassles. The super cqc7 I had was a pig sticker........

07' KTM 950 SE
SmugMug pictures here, Save $5 when you join SmugMug by using this coupon zu0heHHhx9sjM

wheezy e
Barista of Doom

Post by wheezy e » Wed Feb 05, 2014 12:04 pm

I fell in love with this thing a few years ago & it's always on me now. Every carpenter should have one of these, a chisel & knife in one. Best bit is the kydex pocket holster. I hate wearing a knife on my belt, this is nice in a front jean pocket but if you wear work-style pants with a side pocket, you're friggin golden.

All proceeds go to help cripple children.

motorpsycho67
Double-dip Diogenes

Post by motorpsycho67 » Thu Feb 06, 2014 1:38 am

Groove wrote: Great Eastern Cutlery makes some cool stuff, made in Titusville PA. (O1 tool steel blade and spring)

Me likey!

:D
'75 Honda CB400F
'82 Kawalski GPz750
etc.

Zim
Ayatollah of Mayhem

Post by Zim » Thu Feb 13, 2014 6:30 pm

Methods for keeping pointed sticks pointy? Because I've become quite dull.
"Every time I start thinking the world is all bad, then I start seeing some people having a good time on motorcycles... it makes me take another look." --Steve McQueen

Jaeger
Baron von Scrapple

Post by Jaeger » Thu Feb 13, 2014 9:43 pm

Zim wrote:Methods for keeping pointed sticks pointy? Because I've become quite dull.
Yep: http://www.spyderco.com/catalog/details.php?product=77" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

--Jaeger
Bigshankhank wrote:The world is a fucking wreck, but there is still sunshine in some places. Go outside and look for it.
<<NEUTIQUAM ERRO>>

Bo_9
Ayatollah of Mayhem
Location: Filthy little worn-out, broken down, see through soul.

Post by Bo_9 » Fri Feb 14, 2014 7:11 am

I've had a Tri-Hone for years and after a bit of practice on a non favorite knife its pretty easy to get a good edge on. I use it on everything from old case stockmans to kitchen knives to chisels. I once saw a guy at a farm show sharpening knives with what looked like a cardboard drum in a buffer. Looked like a stack of cardboard circles pressed together. Put an unbelievably fine edge on stuff. It was probably 20 years ago and he was sharpening as a prom for some knife shop in Wichita, KS.
When an old man dies a library burns...

"Every accident involving machinery begins with a single defect. Never forget that defect can be between your ears." - E.J. Potter
"I feel like I'm in "my little pony" HELL!!!!" -Goose
"Well, he never ever smiled, but he always seemed pleased."
"keep about your wits, Know yourself and who you came in with"

mtne
Holy DAG Master

Post by mtne » Sat Feb 15, 2014 4:50 pm

Do you have a model or name for that thing?
wheezy e wrote:I fell in love with this thing a few years ago & it's always on me now. Every carpenter should have one of these, a chisel & knife in one. Best bit is the kydex pocket holster. I hate wearing a knife on my belt, this is nice in a front jean pocket but if you wear work-style pants with a side pocket, you're friggin golden.

Another one that caught my eye thanks to Groove........

http://www.dpxgear.com/shop/knives/heat ... t-run.html

07' KTM 950 SE

Jaeger
Baron von Scrapple

Post by Jaeger » Sat Feb 15, 2014 9:39 pm

mtne wrote:Another one that caught my eye thanks to Groove........

http://www.dpxgear.com/shop/knives/heat ... t-run.html

That looks like a helluva piece of kit, but I have a less-spendy alternative:

http://www.spyderco.com/catalog/details.php?product=622" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The Spyderco is Chinese made and the fit 'n' finish isn't mind-blowing. Still, I've beaten the shit out of mine for nearly two years, I think, and it's still in damn good shape.

I've also carried knives with the "Spydie Hole" virtually every day for over 20 years, so I'm sort've partial to that design. That said, I might be inclined to try to adapt to always have the bottle opener. :mrgreen:

I wager the DPX is a superior bit of kit, but you can buy three Spydercos for the cost for one DPX. I suppose if you need a pocket prybar then get the DPX, but I doubt it'll be that much more effective than the more disposable knife. The Spyderco's also more than an ounce lighter.

I've carried one of these little "Ambitious" things as my go-to beater EDC knife for about 2 years (more?). My biggest complaint is that it's bigger than you think in your pocket; it's much less comfortable than even my old Benchmade AFCK, which is almost twice as long closed -- it's just more comfortably shaped. It's excelled at virtually everything I've asked it to do, and retains a pretty decent edge.

DPX looks like nice shit, though. I'd love to get my mitts on one just for gear-whore sake (and to compare with the Spyder), but I can't justify that much on ANOTHER knife, etc... :P

I'd rather get one of THESE:

Still contemplating buying one of the pens. I already have "enough" similar pens -- and the above would obviate pretty much all of them. :shock:

--Jaeger
<<NEUTIQUAM ERRO>>

Mk3
Captain Sensible, Space Command.
Location: The people's republic of Illinois Welcome comrade, join the party!

Post by Mk3 » Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:01 pm

Zim wrote:Methods for keeping pointed sticks pointy? Because I've become quite dull.
Bring to DOOM, I'll hook it up. Back in the days when rench had hair I was a smitty. I can sharpen for you and show you how to keep it that way. In the mean time, every time you use a knife, try to hit it with the kitchen steel. 22.5 deg angle to hone the steel curl back to center. 6 down, 7-up, 1 down. Chances are you won't actually hone every time ( i sure as hell don't) but once in the habit you'll do it often enough to keep good edges. sharpening is restoring an edge that is completely beaten to death, honing is more of an alignment.

If you decide to go after it yourself with a set of stones, a few things:

- start with a knife you don't like. I'd recommend picking up a few at goodwill for practice. fuck them all up.
-If you can still see the original edge, not the bevel mind you, the cutting edge, match it, and patiently grind one side back until all of the nicks and damage have been removed.
---If you think you might completely remove the original edge in the process, flip over early to maintain the factory angle on both sides, if not just do one at a time.
---I use honing oil for non-kitchen knives, olive oil or other organic lipid for kitchenware. You will in effect pull the edge up the bevel at least as far as the deepest nick.

-once you've ground the ever living shit out of one side, switch to the other and again match the original edge.
---pay attention to what the fuck you are doing. since I'm fairly certain you're going to try this, put crap TV on, and ignore it for the knife, not the other way around.

***This takes me about 15 minutes for a 64th of an inch nick. it is not fast, if it goes quickly, you're probably doing it wrong. If you've been using your knife as a screwdriver then you are in for some serious couch time. mind you the cutting edge on most knives isn't much wider than a 32nd ****

- If using multiple grits, now switch over to the fine grit, hone the sides clean by alternating every few strokes. You can switch every swipe if you're feeling flamboyant.

- Lastly, hone it on the steel (or strop if you're a badass) with the 6-7-1.

Now take the goodwill-tastic Arkansas toothpick and stab some shit. burn off the original handle off and fix the tine into a deer antler whilst drinking bathtub gin and wincing at the distance like it owes you money. Scare the neighbors, terrorize trees that don't have your initials in them yet, hack up a bathroom stall proudly proclaiming "Kilroy was here!"

PM me if you have any questions.
"...when someone asks you if you're a god, you say "YES "!

"UTMC, it's an international disorganization of racers, aficionados, mechanics, lunatics, and scumbags. It's like an online motorcycle Mos Eisley."

Bigshankhank
Fully Autonomous Cock-Puncher

Post by Bigshankhank » Thu Feb 28, 2019 12:19 pm

Forgot about this thread from many years back.

Recent December gift giving event saw me receive an Opinel Inox which replaced my old Buck as a daily carry, as well as a Kershaw EMT blade that my son-in-law gave me (he's a fire-fighter) that I keep in my tank bag on the Duke. Both awesome blades, but I have to be more careful than is practical when it comes to getting the Opinel wet, so it may get quickly retired.
It's time for Humankind to ditch the imaginary friends of our species' childhood and grow the fuck up.
-Davros

"Lasse mich deine Seele dem Herrscher der Finsternis opfern"

Let me sacrifice your soul to the ruler of darkness

Always carry a bottle of whiskey when you travel in case of a snakebite. Futhermore, always carry a small snake.

0l4fderstout
Maltov Rattlecan

Post by 0l4fderstout » Thu Feb 28, 2019 12:55 pm

for years I had a tiny CRKT folder which bit the dust about 2 years back . I looked like this:

I just picked up a new one to go in my kit from them that i had to google to figure out how to open but is damn near a switchblade.

To open, you push down on the thumb nub and the damn thing flies open and locks menacingly.

Aggroton
Chuck Asap

Post by Aggroton » Fri Mar 01, 2019 11:37 am

wheezy e wrote:I fell in love with this thing a few years ago & it's always on me now. Every carpenter should have one of these, a chisel & knife in one. Best bit is the kydex pocket holster. I hate wearing a knife on my belt, this is nice in a front jean pocket but if you wear work-style pants with a side pocket, you're friggin golden.

This is awesome.
Ive been hunting a fixed cleaver.
thats a sweet bike.