PLEASE LOGIN TO SEE ANYTHING.
This measure is inconvenient, yes, but necessary at present.
Click below for more information.

EVERYTHING IS MARKED UNREAD!!
click her for the instant fix
Show
First fix:
  • open the menu at the top
  • hit New Posts to see what's actually new and browse the new stuff from there
  • go back to the Forum Index
  • open the menu at the top again
  • click Mark forums read
    this will zero the unread anything for you, so you can strive forth into the exciting world of the new cookie thing.

Because the board got shutdown again because of a load of database, I had to fettle with the settings again.
As part of that, the server no longer stores what topics you have or haven't read.
IT IS STILL RECORDED!
But now, that information lives in a delicious cookie, rather than the forum database.

Upside: this should reduce the load of database.
Downside: if you use multiple devices to access the board, or you reject delicious cookies, you won't always have that information cookie. But the New Posts feature should take care of that.

PLEASE NOTIFY THE ADMINISTERRERRERR ABOUT ANY PROBLEMS!

2024 LOGIN/Posting ISSUES
Click if you have a problem.
Show

If you cannot Debauch because you get an IP blacklist error, try Debauching again time. It may work immediately, it may take a few attempts. It will work eventually, I don't think I had to click debauch more than three times. Someone is overzealous at our hosting company, but only on the first couple of attempts.

If you have problems logging in, posting, or doing anything else, please get in touch.
You know the email (if you don't, see in the registration info below), you know where to find the Administerrerrerr on the Midget Circus.

Some unpleasant miscreant was firing incessant database queries at our server, which forced the Legal Department of our hosting company, via their Abuse subdivision, to shut us down. No I have none.
All I can do it button the hatches, and tighten up a few things. Such as time limits on how long you may take to compose a post and hit Debauch! As of 24/01/10, I've set that at 30 minutes for now.

To restrict further overloads, any unregistered users had to be locked out.
How do we know who is or isn't an unregistered user?
By forcing anyone who wants in to Log In.
Is that annoying?
Yes. But there's only so much the Administerrerrerr can do to keep this place running.

Again, if you have any problems: get in touch.

REGISTRATION! NEW USERS!
Registration Information
Show
Automatic registration is disabled for security reasons.
But fear not!
You can register!

Option the First:
Please drop our fearless Administerrerrerr a line.
Tell him who you are, that you wish to join, and what you wish your username to be. The Administerrerrerr will get back to you. If you're human, and you're not a damn spammer, expect a reply within 24 hoursish. Usually quicker, rarely slower.

Unfortunately, the Contact Form is being a total primadonna right now, so please send an email to the obvious address.
Posting this address in clear text is just the "on" switch for spambots, but here is a hint.

Option the Second:
Find us on Facebook, in the magnificent
Umah Thurman Midget Circus
Join up there, or just drop the modmins a message. They will pass any request on to the Administerrerrerr for this place.

Cool things of times gone by.

A forum for the off topic stuff. Everything from religion to philosophy to sex to humor (see why it used to be called Buggery?). All manner of rude psychological abuse is welcome and encouraged.
Bo_9
Ayatollah of Mayhem
Location: Filthy little worn-out, broken down, see through soul.

Cool things of times gone by.

Post by Bo_9 » Tue Feb 25, 2014 7:39 am

My dad passed away last July (lung cancer. All you smokers out there stop it because it's stupid. Rant over) and as I (slowly) go through the 75 years of stuff collected by a lifelong mechanic I find a lot of neat things. Some I haven't seen since I was a kid, some I've never seen, and some I cannot identify. I figure I'll put the neat/odd stuff in here, feel free to add any neat old things you find as well.

First up is this guide first published the year he was born. This copy appears to have been printed when he was 11.
I had never seen this until we found it on a shelf.

It's printed like a bible, thin pages with gold on the edges. And if you cannot grasp a fundamental understanding of how the systems in a car work from reading this you never will.

When an old man dies a library burns...

"Every accident involving machinery begins with a single defect. Never forget that defect can be between your ears." - E.J. Potter
"I feel like I'm in "my little pony" HELL!!!!" -Goose
"Well, he never ever smiled, but he always seemed pleased."
"keep about your wits, Know yourself and who you came in with"

DerGolgo
Zaphod's Zeitgeist

Re: Cool things of times gone by.

Post by DerGolgo » Tue Feb 25, 2014 9:46 am

I love old "this is how a car works stuff".
These days, half of any such volume is "and this is where the computer plugs in".
I'm amazed at all the stuff people figured out to do without a computer.

I don't wanna imagine what it'd be like to lose my father. Mine is 73, smoker for about 50 years.
If there were absolutely anything to be afraid of, don't you think I would have worn pants?

I said I have a big stick.

guitargeek
Master Metric Necromancer

Post by guitargeek » Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:19 am

That looks like a really good read!
Elitist, arrogant, intolerant, self-absorbed.
Midliferider wrote:Wish I could wipe this shit off my shoes but it's everywhere I walk. Dang.
Pattio wrote:Never forget, as you enjoy the high road of tolerance, that it is those of us doing the hard work of intolerance who make it possible for you to shine.
xtian wrote:Sticking feathers up your butt does not make you a chicken

xtian
Le coureur de lames chasse Tinti...

Post by xtian » Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:02 am

fantastic find. I have an equivalent "big book of the african wildlife and hunts" and a couple of dictionaries from mine, nothing this interesting. he used to work for a tobacco company. ah.
I'm not really from around here.

Sisyphus
Rigging the Ancient Mariner

Post by Sisyphus » Tue Feb 25, 2014 2:16 pm

I'll be left w/ a bunch of engineering classics, no doubt. Brenneman, Kepler, fairman and Cutshall, etc.
Sent from my POS laptop plugged into the wall

guitargeek

Post by guitargeek » Tue Feb 25, 2014 4:34 pm

My grampa had everything ever written by Edgar Rice Burroughs, Louis L'Amour, Robert E. Howard, Max Brand, etc.
No engineering texts, though he was one, but my imagination was certainly shaped by those pulp novels!
Midliferider wrote:Wish I could wipe this shit off my shoes but it's everywhere I walk. Dang.
Pattio wrote:Never forget, as you enjoy the high road of tolerance, that it is those of us doing the hard work of intolerance who make it possible for you to shine.

urbanscum
Magnum Jihad

Post by urbanscum » Thu Feb 27, 2014 11:16 am

Edgar Rice Burroughs was the man! I was (and still am) into his sci fi stuff, Martian series, Venus series.

As a 'yuff' there was a second hand bookshop around the corner from where I live that used to sell loads of 60's and 70's sci fi. For 50p. That's not very much. You cannot beat the smell of old books and I always liked the covers. Glorious ideals of a future that never happened.

Still got them in the loft and drag a few out now and again when I get nostalgic.
'Don't join dangerous cults: practice safe sects.'

Bandit 1200 shiny shiny.
Yamahaha Thunderscrap - rough and ready
MonsterMoto Pit Bike (for the kids - honest)
for now...

guitargeek

Post by guitargeek » Thu Feb 27, 2014 4:02 pm

Since I got a Kindle, I've been reading a lot more science fiction. I find it stimulating.

urbanscum
Magnum Jihad

Post by urbanscum » Fri Feb 28, 2014 9:45 am

I've managed to find most of the old books online and stuck them on the kindle (which I think is great).

But I still like to handle old books and all.
'Don't join dangerous cults: practice safe sects.'

Bandit 1200 shiny shiny.
Yamahaha Thunderscrap - rough and ready
MonsterMoto Pit Bike (for the kids - honest)
for now...

Jaeger
Baron von Scrapple

Post by Jaeger » Fri Feb 28, 2014 12:13 pm

Mrs. Jaeger has a Kindle. While I acknowledge it's a nice bit of kit and is much more efficient than hauling around books... dammit, I like paper.

We were hauling around far too many books for a long time. When we moved into this new house we deliberately ditched a lot of the old paperbacks we'd been lugging around for years because they were just more shit in the way -- and fer chrissakes, I live within walking distance[/] to my local county library! Why the fuck do I need to keep my ugly, dog-eared copies of the LOTR trilogy when I can go borrow it whenever I want?

We still have a shitload of books, but they're all either nice hardbacks or hard-to-find books. We kept a few "special' ones, of course, but... hell, with as much time as I spend reading online shit, I can barely stand to read anything once I'm done with work. It's a shameful admission, but it's true. :P

--Jaeger
Bigshankhank wrote:The world is a fucking wreck, but there is still sunshine in some places. Go outside and look for it.
<<NEUTIQUAM ERRO>>
2018 Indian Scout -- "Lilah"

Bo_9
Ayatollah of Mayhem

Post by Bo_9 » Mon Mar 10, 2014 5:35 am

Cool very vintage Volt/Amp meter.
I can't find any dates or info on the company. Cool that is was made in KC.
Have not hooked it up to anything to see if it works yet. Or worked on cleaning it up for that matter.

I'm Guessing it's a mid to late 50's meter.

"Every accident involving machinery begins with a single defect. Never forget that defect can be between your ears." - E.J. Potter

Zim
Ayatollah of Mayhem

Post by Zim » Mon Mar 10, 2014 5:47 pm

Eh, that's no Fluke. But really, that's not a Fluke!

Battery need testing? Let me eschew a digital readout for some lovely analog needling with that monstrosity. The thing almost needs it's own cart. I love it! Please tell me it wrapped in real leather.

On the Kindle... I do like paper. My kids came home with arm-fulls of Scholastic books. I opened them up, shoved my nose into the crease between pages, and inhaled new book smell. Glorious outgassing.

However, with the Kindle, I can hold an arm-full of my own books books in one hand, occasionally (right!) shove my nose into a glass filled with Scotch, and click page after page without any more to pick up than a 19 x 12 mm device. Because Scholastic books strewn over carpeting = ass over teakettle.

Plus, being married to a voracious speed-reading wife, e-books are much, much less expensive.

There are limitations, of course. A Kindle could never replicate my The Complete Calvin and Hobbes hardcover box set.
"Every time I start thinking the world is all bad, then I start seeing some people having a good time on motorcycles... it makes me take another look." --Steve McQueen

beck
Magnum Jihad

Post by beck » Mon Mar 10, 2014 6:03 pm

I'm a huge fan of my kindle. Can you listen to pandora, browse UTMC, and watch netflix on your book? nope. didnt think so. :)

i do still really like paper books though, and while i only have a couple calvin and hobbes albums, i do however have every farside volume in print :
Everything fun causes cancer, road rash, pregnancy, addiction, skin discoloration, broken bones, carpal tunnel, sprained eyeballs, rugburns, sideburns, exploding friends, insurance claims, insanity, etc... You can either lie safely in wait to shufflel'd off this mortall coile, or jerk it off hard and fast. Live life to the fullest, and use lots of lube

Beemer Dan.

Bo_9
Ayatollah of Mayhem

Post by Bo_9 » Wed Apr 02, 2014 5:52 am

This one stumped everyone until I looked up the number on the bottom.

Spoiler
Show
In it's proper environment.

beck
Magnum Jihad

Post by beck » Wed Apr 02, 2014 6:33 am

Didn't stump me! My dad's hobby was small engine repair when i was growing up, i am well acquainted with a wibble-wobble (technical name). mower blades get mighty upset when you dont take the same amount off both sides. i still use one every summer.
Everything fun causes cancer, road rash, pregnancy, addiction, skin discoloration, broken bones, carpal tunnel, sprained eyeballs, rugburns, sideburns, exploding friends, insurance claims, insanity, etc... You can either lie safely in wait to shufflel'd off this mortall coile, or jerk it off hard and fast. Live life to the fullest, and use lots of lube

Beemer Dan.

Bo_9
Ayatollah of Mayhem

Post by Bo_9 » Wed Apr 02, 2014 6:39 am

Yeah I was surprised that nobody around here had used one.

Bo_9
Ayatollah of Mayhem

Post by Bo_9 » Sat Apr 12, 2014 5:34 pm

Cool old indicator-

Bo_9
Ayatollah of Mayhem

Post by Bo_9 » Thu Jun 26, 2014 6:56 am

The pre-erector set. I haven't found a date on it yet but believe it was actually my dad's as a kid in the 50's.
<sledit>Upon a short Google it sounds like they were a short lived contemporary of Erector, only produced for six years.</sledit>

All the makings for a carousel with the rods bent so the horses go up and down.

Little motor still works!

2XSL
Maltov Rattlecan

Post by 2XSL » Thu Jun 26, 2014 12:12 pm

i dont think todays toys teach as good

Zim
Ayatollah of Mayhem

Post by Zim » Fri Jun 27, 2014 2:53 pm

2XSL wrote:i dont think todays toys teach as good
Your write their, 2XSL.

That set reminds me of the Riviton set I got one Christmas. 'Cept the CPSC recalled the toy. I had it for less than a week, if I remember correctly. Maybe even just a couple of days.

Is that a mixer drum that I see in the "The Constructioneer" set?
"Every time I start thinking the world is all bad, then I start seeing some people having a good time on motorcycles... it makes me take another look." --Steve McQueen

MoraleHazard
Vatican Sex Kitten

Post by MoraleHazard » Mon Jul 14, 2014 10:12 am

"Your write their, 2XSL." Subtle troll?

My grandfather was a tool and die maker. He made some really, really awesome things. Candlesticks, derringers (from scratch), a zip gun, knives, etc. He left behind a drill press, a metal lathe (from the 1930s) and some very cool books.

My father was in the computer business since there was a computer business and has some cool very old school computer stuff at home. He's 75 this past March and not in the best of health. He still loves computer games though, working his way through the Mass Effect series. When he was recovering from his last heart attack, he was doing physical therapy in a nursing home. He was playing EVE Online (an MMO) at the time and the nurses were all agog when this old man pulled out a gaming laptop, put on the headphones and started up an MMO.

Hug them while you still can, especially if they're great fathers.
666(k) Retirement Plan of the Beast. Only offered by Dis Annuities.

'91 EX500 (sold)
'04 R1150R

It's like getting bitten by a radioactive horse and instead of getting a really large cock you turn into a brony.

Jaeger
Baron von Scrapple

Post by Jaeger » Mon Jul 14, 2014 12:01 pm

MoraleHazard wrote: Hug them while you still can, especially if they're great fathers.
True dat, man. :|

--Jaeger
Bigshankhank wrote:The world is a fucking wreck, but there is still sunshine in some places. Go outside and look for it.
<<NEUTIQUAM ERRO>>
2018 Indian Scout -- "Lilah"

guitargeek

Post by guitargeek » Tue Jul 15, 2014 1:23 am

Indeed.

Bo_9
Ayatollah of Mayhem

Post by Bo_9 » Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:03 am

Yep, next week will be one year without my Dad.

Bo_9
Ayatollah of Mayhem

Post by Bo_9 » Fri Jul 18, 2014 9:23 am

Zim wrote:Is that a mixer drum that I see in the "The Constructioneer" set?
Yes, yes it is. I found some model picture scans online if they have the mixer in there I'll get the kids to build it and post up pics.

In a fit of awesomeness SidVicious (my BIL) gave his old Legos from the 80's for my son to work with. I had told him that the old sets came with pictures but no "instructions" and now he finally believes me. Used to be if you wanted to make something you figured it out, now there's a step by step.

Bo_9
Ayatollah of Mayhem

Post by Bo_9 » Wed Jul 23, 2014 5:14 am

Found this nugget going through tubs of random tools.

It even still works! Apart from rust on the bits it's nearly perfect.

DerGolgo
Zaphod's Zeitgeist

Post by DerGolgo » Sun Jul 27, 2014 4:53 am

My father has been sorting through his own and his parents' accumulation of many decades. What he has no use for and figures he can't get rid off on ebay, he is distributing among my sisters and I. Today, I scored some knick-knaks, including the following:

It doesn't fit my record player, but it must have been the bee's knees when it was new, look at what my grandpa paid for it in 1978:
DM 56.- in 1978 is equal to about $98.- in today's money, by purchase power. Yes, I actually worked it out with the historic exchange rate, I'm a geek like that.
If it had been made in Taiwan, I don't think I would have bothered to keep it. But they vinyl freaks probably recognize the brand and already know what's in the next image:

I also got to keep one of my father's several copies of the newspaper supplement of 1947 that, among other things, held my great-grandfather's obituary. My pa never met him, great-grandpa died four weeks before my pa and his own parents got to Scotland, after bolting from post-war Germany.
Tell me if that one big sentence at the beginning isn't one of the most flabberghastingly British things you've ever read:
If there were absolutely anything to be afraid of, don't you think I would have worn pants?

guitargeek

Post by guitargeek » Sun Jul 27, 2014 10:29 am

Would this be the fellow?
I do see a resemblance, he's got your gigantic mellon.

James Beveridge circa 1896

DerGolgo
Zaphod's Zeitgeist

Post by DerGolgo » Sun Jul 27, 2014 10:56 am

Cool, thanks!
I just looked it up, it's the wrong James Beveridge, I think. Clubmaker may well be an aphorism for some other ...professions..., but archaeologist, rector or antiquarian are not these, I don't think. Looking for a photo online hadn't even occurred to me, thanks for the idea!
As for resemblance ... Scotland has a very reasonable population size, that gentlemen may well be a relative, more or less distant.

motorpsycho67
Double-dip Diogenes

Post by motorpsycho67 » Sun Jul 27, 2014 7:00 pm

guitargeek wrote:I've been reading a lot more science fiction. I find it stimulating.

Early sci-fi is great....
'75 Honda CB400F
'82 Kawalski GPz750
etc.