HAM radio license.

A forum for the off topic stuff. Everything from religion to philosophy to sex to humor (see why it used to be called Buggery?). All manner of rude psychological abuse is welcome and encouraged.
rc26
The Devil's Banana

HAM radio license.

Post by rc26 » Tue May 06, 2014 8:53 am

I've decided to go after my Technician class HAM radio license. Has anyone sat for one? Are they very difficult?

"I reject your reality and substitute my own" - Stole it.

DerGolgo
Zaphod's Zeitgeist

Re: HAM radio license.

Post by DerGolgo » Tue May 06, 2014 10:47 am

Wow, radio. How ... 20th century!
Does that class involve Morse-code, tippity-tappy and all?
If there were absolutely anything to be afraid of, don't you think I would have worn pants?

I said I have a big stick.

rc26
The Devil's Banana

Post by rc26 » Tue May 06, 2014 1:35 pm

Morse code is no longer part of the exam requirements. I'm not sure I'll bother to learn it.

What the hell...everyone needs new hobbies now and then.

Sisyphus
Rigging the Ancient Mariner

Post by Sisyphus » Tue May 06, 2014 3:11 pm

I'm surprised you need a license. You get assigned a frequency or something? We used to hear HAM radio operators all the time when at sea; we'd listen to them chat on the SSB radio late at night when there was nothing else going on.
Sent from my POS laptop plugged into the wall

rc26
The Devil's Banana

Post by rc26 » Tue May 06, 2014 5:40 pm

Oh, yeah...you need a license. You don't need to be licensed to own the equipment for receiving purposes, but you have restrictions on broadcasting on certain frequencies.

There is purpose behind this. I often find myself out in the middle of nowhere with absolutely no cell phone reception. If something unfortunate were to happen on a trail, I might have a chance to get out via portable radio if I'm in the right place.

calamari kid
Ayatollah of Mayhem

Post by calamari kid » Tue May 06, 2014 6:58 pm

I can check with my F.I.L., but I'm not sure how relevant his experience will be for ya as he got his license back in the 60's.
"Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon." -Honda manual circa 1962

"Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba...." -Hunter S Thompson

"A psychotic is a guy who's just found out what's going on." -William S. Burroughs

calamari kid
Ayatollah of Mayhem

Post by calamari kid » Tue May 06, 2014 7:36 pm

The scoop from F.I.L.
The test is not that difficult. It can be passed simply by memorization, but that's not the preferred method. ;<)
Local radio clubs usually give classes. Susan took a class before passing her tech. Here is a good place to start getting info. http://www.arrl.org/licensing-education-training. Carrying a small handheld radio is a good idea when one is going to be outside cell coverage. Just tell your friend to be on guard against those that would try to convert him to nerdism.
Edit: Susan is his current wife, who got her license fairly recently.
"Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon." -Honda manual circa 1962

"Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba...." -Hunter S Thompson

"A psychotic is a guy who's just found out what's going on." -William S. Burroughs

motorpsycho67
Double-dip Diogenes

Post by motorpsycho67 » Tue May 06, 2014 11:43 pm

rc26 wrote: There is purpose behind this. I often find myself out in the middle of nowhere with absolutely no cell phone reception. If something unfortunate were to happen on a trail, I might have a chance to get out via portable radio if I'm in the right place.

http://www.findmespot.com/en/index.php?cid=116" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
'75 Honda CB400F
'82 Kawalski GPz750
etc.

Sisyphus
Rigging the Ancient Mariner

Post by Sisyphus » Wed May 07, 2014 1:50 pm

When I was a licensed mariner, the vessel had a radio station license because we could and did transmit. It was an unenforced rule that anyone using the equipment had to have an FCC license as well. Only recently have they begun checking to see if captains held said license, and even then not all that seriously. Buy the radio, learn how to use it, use proper etiquette, and if you must--pay the $50 or whatever it is for the license.
Sent from my POS laptop plugged into the wall

rc26
The Devil's Banana

Post by rc26 » Wed May 07, 2014 2:20 pm

F.I.L. threw me. Father-in-law...with ya now. :)

That satellite system looks a little pricey, but could be worth it?

The licensing is almost in place to keep HAM from going the way 11 meter (CB) did. I was looking at handheld CB units, but they really aren't worth a shit...so, 2 meter seems to be a better option.

I bought a piece of shit Baofeng UV-5R + for $39 shipped on ebay. There are a shit ton of them being used world-wide...they have big following. Many, many ways to hack them. What the hell, I thought I'd give it a shot and see how it does.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BfjrVWvEeeY" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

calamari kid
Ayatollah of Mayhem

Post by calamari kid » Wed May 07, 2014 5:18 pm

Yeah, he's a pretty big HAM geek. Has a 75' antenna by the front door of his house, mobile units for all their cars, and has his callsign on his license plate. I give him crap about it as much as I can get away with.

The Spot technology is pretty cool stuff, but I have a hard time swallowing the subscription requirement given how much I'd be likely to need it. I keep thinking about HAM. Maybe when I get a dualsport in the garage.

mtne
Holy DAG Master

Post by mtne » Thu May 08, 2014 2:15 pm

One of the benefits I've been told is being able to get your call sign on your plate. Our old friend beemer pat avoided at least a few tickets when the officer couldn't locate the proper plate info in the database........ they know it's legit, but I guess it's filed differently and sometimes officers don't know how to access it.
How can it be fun if there's not at least an outside chance of dying?
07' KTM 950 SE
08' Husky TE610 - Everything a KLR wants to be...
Yeah I'm a Bike Slut in remission
SmugMug pictures here, Save $5 when you join SmugMug by using this coupon zu0heHHhx9sjM
http://www.bikeshareworld.com

rc26
The Devil's Banana

Post by rc26 » Fri May 09, 2014 5:53 am

Some people get pretty serious about it. ET could phone the fuck home with this.

http://www.k3dav.com/yourantennas.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

roadmissile
Chief Marketing Schwaggerizer

Post by roadmissile » Wed May 14, 2014 9:29 pm

I got my technician class license when I was eleven, study and it'll be cake.

/RM
/Speed is our religion.

"If requests are an option, I'd like to be hit by a beautiful and highly trained nurse, driving a marshmallow. Naked. And then she would buy me an ice cream." - Rev