PLEASE LOGIN TO SEE ANYTHING.
This measure is inconvenient, yes, but necessary at present.
Click below for more information.

EVERYTHING IS MARKED UNREAD!!
click her for the instant fix
Show
First fix:
  • open the menu at the top
  • hit New Posts to see what's actually new and browse the new stuff from there
  • go back to the Forum Index
  • open the menu at the top again
  • click Mark forums read
    this will zero the unread anything for you, so you can strive forth into the exciting world of the new cookie thing.

Because the board got shutdown again because of a load of database, I had to fettle with the settings again.
As part of that, the server no longer stores what topics you have or haven't read.
IT IS STILL RECORDED!
But now, that information lives in a delicious cookie, rather than the forum database.

Upside: this should reduce the load of database.
Downside: if you use multiple devices to access the board, or you reject delicious cookies, you won't always have that information cookie. But the New Posts feature should take care of that.

PLEASE NOTIFY THE ADMINISTERRERRERR ABOUT ANY PROBLEMS!

2024 LOGIN/Posting ISSUES
Click if you have a problem.
Show

If you cannot Debauch because you get an IP blacklist error, try Debauching again time. It may work immediately, it may take a few attempts. It will work eventually, I don't think I had to click debauch more than three times. Someone is overzealous at our hosting company, but only on the first couple of attempts.

If you have problems logging in, posting, or doing anything else, please get in touch.
You know the email (if you don't, see in the registration info below), you know where to find the Administerrerrerr on the Midget Circus.

Some unpleasant miscreant was firing incessant database queries at our server, which forced the Legal Department of our hosting company, via their Abuse subdivision, to shut us down. No I have none.
All I can do it button the hatches, and tighten up a few things. Such as time limits on how long you may take to compose a post and hit Debauch! As of 24/01/10, I've set that at 30 minutes for now.

To restrict further overloads, any unregistered users had to be locked out.
How do we know who is or isn't an unregistered user?
By forcing anyone who wants in to Log In.
Is that annoying?
Yes. But there's only so much the Administerrerrerr can do to keep this place running.

Again, if you have any problems: get in touch.

REGISTRATION! NEW USERS!
Registration Information
Show
Automatic registration is disabled for security reasons.
But fear not!
You can register!

Option the First:
Please drop our fearless Administerrerrerr a line.
Tell him who you are, that you wish to join, and what you wish your username to be. The Administerrerrerr will get back to you. If you're human, and you're not a damn spammer, expect a reply within 24 hoursish. Usually quicker, rarely slower.

Unfortunately, the Contact Form is being a total primadonna right now, so please send an email to the obvious address.
Posting this address in clear text is just the "on" switch for spambots, but here is a hint.

Option the Second:
Find us on Facebook, in the magnificent
Umah Thurman Midget Circus
Join up there, or just drop the modmins a message. They will pass any request on to the Administerrerrerr for this place.

D-Day anniversary.

A forum for the off topic stuff. Everything from religion to philosophy to sex to humor (see why it used to be called Buggery?). All manner of rude psychological abuse is welcome and encouraged.
DerGolgo
Zaphod's Zeitgeist

D-Day anniversary.

Post by DerGolgo » Fri Jun 06, 2014 2:10 am

If you meet a veteran of that, shake his hand and convey my gratitude, please. I mean it.

Any veteran of the allied side in that war, actually. But, today in particular, anyone who took part in Overlord.

If there were absolutely anything to be afraid of, don't you think I would have worn pants?

I said I have a big stick.

guitargeek
Master Metric Necromancer

Re: D-Day anniversary.

Post by guitargeek » Fri Jun 06, 2014 10:51 am

Good pics here:
http://www.esquire.com/blogs/news/invas ... %3Fsrc=rss" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Today, I'm going to compell my niece to first watch D-Day 360, then Saving Private Ryan.
Elitist, arrogant, intolerant, self-absorbed.
Midliferider wrote:Wish I could wipe this shit off my shoes but it's everywhere I walk. Dang.
Pattio wrote:Never forget, as you enjoy the high road of tolerance, that it is those of us doing the hard work of intolerance who make it possible for you to shine.
xtian wrote:Sticking feathers up your butt does not make you a chicken

DerGolgo
Zaphod's Zeitgeist

Post by DerGolgo » Fri Jun 06, 2014 11:03 am

They've had a bunch of D-Day veterans on the radio today. They all agreed. Saving Private Ryan, that's what it was like.
If there were absolutely anything to be afraid of, don't you think I would have worn pants?

Rench
the Harm in Harmony

Post by Rench » Fri Jun 06, 2014 1:20 pm

Its...interesting...to hear you say thank a d day vet. Not to take away anything from the awesome acknowledgement that today is getting, or to make you speak for a cultural generation, but what's your take on all this DG?

We Americans get to bathe in accurate self-rightiousness for once, I'd say to the point of national identity. We use how right we were on that one to write our own tickets to this day.

But what's the German perspective on it, if you could?

-Rench
"I'm not a schemer..."

"Do you know why it's illegal to put gasoline in a glass container?" - Piccinni

Pintgudge
The Big Oooola

Post by Pintgudge » Fri Jun 06, 2014 3:51 pm

Today at work I looked up and saw three P-51 fighter aircraft flying in formation over the city.

70 years ago, my uncle was flying one of that kind above North Africa.
If man is fit to be governed, is any man fit to govern?

These are the days of miracles and wonder!

'81 Goldwing Standard w/'61 Ural Sidecar

'06 Bajaj Chetak

Pintgudge
The Big Oooola

Post by Pintgudge » Fri Jun 06, 2014 4:28 pm

Here are pictures of them.

http://www.komonews.com/news/local/Phot ... 67411.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

'06 Bajaj Chetak

Pintgudge
The Big Oooola

Post by Pintgudge » Fri Jun 06, 2014 4:33 pm

And video!

http://www.komonews.com/home/video/Watc ... 53001.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

'06 Bajaj Chetak

calamari kid
Ayatollah of Mayhem

Post by calamari kid » Fri Jun 06, 2014 4:36 pm

Ah, those were P-51's! Thought they might be. We were down having a celebratory lunch with my cousin who just graduated from his residency as an Army doc at Madigan and saw them off in the distance.
"Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon." -Honda manual circa 1962

"Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba...." -Hunter S Thompson

"A psychotic is a guy who's just found out what's going on." -William S. Burroughs

guitargeek

Post by guitargeek » Fri Jun 06, 2014 9:51 pm

She hasn't watched it yet. 360 showed her the naked physics of it...
Midliferider wrote:Wish I could wipe this shit off my shoes but it's everywhere I walk. Dang.
Pattio wrote:Never forget, as you enjoy the high road of tolerance, that it is those of us doing the hard work of intolerance who make it possible for you to shine.

DerGolgo
Zaphod's Zeitgeist

Post by DerGolgo » Fri Jun 06, 2014 10:51 pm

Rench wrote:Its...interesting...to hear you say thank a d day vet. Not to take away anything from the awesome acknowledgement that today is getting, or to make you speak for a cultural generation, but what's your take on all this DG?

We Americans get to bathe in accurate self-rightiousness for once, I'd say to the point of national identity. We use how right we were on that one to write our own tickets to this day.

But what's the German perspective on it, if you could?

-Rench
According to much of the radio news, the entire celebration is only relevant because the occasion could be used to convince Putin to be nice. That it was about time that the French civilian deaths were finally commemorated, they made a point of noting that it was American planes that dropped the bombs that killed many. And that the idea that D-Day was the crucial turning point of the war in Europe is some kind of American hubris. They even dug out an American history professor who explained how it was really not important at all, the Russians were facing ten times as many German divisions, had more then 10 times the casualties, the real turning point was Stalingrad, and so forth.

I, for one, don't give a fuck about any or that. Any day the war ended quicker meant thousands and thousands got to live. The people who fought on the side of the allies and for the resistance, they literally saved the world when they defeated the Axis.
Opening the second front was crucial for that, actually. Even if the Russians were pushing the Wehrmacht back further and further, it was hard graft. The Nazis could still, possibly, have gotten a favorable peace accord, eventually.
And the guys who did it ran into the machine gun fire. Up into something designed to be a meat-grinder, with nothing but empty sea behind them to turn back to.
There was a lot of that during that war. But that doesn't make what these guys did on June 6th anything less. The people running up beaches aren't numbers, they're people.
It doesn't matter why they did it. They did it, and it was a big part of saving the world. They made it so Europe could become a place where people got to vote on their leaders and Germany, in particular, became a place where the weak, helpless and outcast wouldn't be stomped down just because.
I'm grateful for what the guys who did the fighting did.

DerGolgo
Zaphod's Zeitgeist

Post by DerGolgo » Sat Jun 07, 2014 12:51 am

I've pondered this a little.
I think some people feel the urge to minimize the events and the actions of the individuals involved. Like they also do when reporting about the war in the east. If you believe the mass media around here, if you pay attention, Soviet soldiers weren't heroic. Rather, they were helpless, driven into a meatgrinder like livestock by a bloodthirsty tyrant. Yes, German war crimes, the Soviet union wasn't just being invaded but being eradicated, indeed, tragic, tragic. But Stalin was a bad man, he knew his troops would get slaughtered, that's the important bit! At least that's the impression I got when I stopped watching TV shows about WW2.

The alternative to minimizing what the allied soldiers went through would be admitting that D-Day, for example, is an event worth commemorating, on that scale, and that it was a genuinely horrifying battle and the individuals involved actually acted selflessly.*
Admitting that would, of course, involve declaring that it was worth it. Something like that could only have been worth it in a conflict against genuine evil. Can't have that, now.
I don't think these people feel particularly close to our grandparents' and, by now, great-grandparents' generation that was around then. I don't think people watch war movies and root for the Germans, no.
I think it's the guilt. Feeling the guilt of what our lot did in those days, that's the way it should be. Feeling guilty about something is one of the ways our minds tell us not to do something again.
But for some, the guilt is a little too much, they don't like it. So anything that indicates that this is indeed something to feel guilty about, that Germany back then really was evil straight out of hell, it must be relativized, it's significance lessened. Some go so far in rejecting that guilt that they put on a brown uniform, others just don't want to be reminded.
That's entirely human, of course. But still is no better than a child hiding their head under a blanket. Dealing with stuff that's unpleasant is something that too many people have spent too many years practicing to avoid, and that too many in society have been telling us too long is fine and our damn right and so forth. Not just in this particular situation, but in general.

* I cannot count the number of different rationalizations why a soldier is really only looking out for himself when he runs into the other guy's gunfire. I like that this de-glamorizes war in general, but I hate how it devalues the genuine sacrifice these men made.

guitargeek

Post by guitargeek » Sat Jun 07, 2014 10:03 am

Well said.