PLEASE LOGIN TO SEE ANYTHING.
This measure is inconvenient, yes, but necessary at present.
Click below for more information.

2024 LOGIN/Posting ISSUES
Click if you have a problem.
Show

If you cannot Debauch because you get an IP blacklist error, try Debauching a second time. Someone is overzealous at our hosting company, but only on the first attempt.

If you have problems logging in, posting, or doing anything else, please get in touch.
You know the email (if you don't, see in the registration info below), you know where to find the Administerrerrerr on the Midget Circus.

Some unpleasant miscreant was firing incessant database queries at our server, which forced the Legal Department of our hosting company, via their Abuse subdivision, to shut us down. No I have none.
All I can do it button the hatches, and tighten up a few things. Such as time limits on how long you may take to compose a post and hit Debauch! As of 24/01/10, I've set that at 30 minutes for now.

To restrict further overloads, any unregistered users had to be locked out.
How do we know who is or isn't an unregistered user?
By forcing anyone who wants in to Log In.
Is that annoying?
Yes. But there's only so much the Administerrerrerr can do to keep this place running.

Again, if you have any problems: get in touch.

REGISTRATION! NEW USERS!
Registration Information
Show
Automatic registration is disabled for security reasons.
But fear not!
You can register!

Option the First:
Please drop our fearless Administerrerrerr a line.
Tell him who you are, that you wish to join, and what you wish your username to be. The Administerrerrerr will get back to you. If you're human, and you're not a damn spammer, expect a reply within 24 hoursish. Usually quicker, rarely slower.

Unfortunately, the Contact Form is being a total primadonna right now, so please send an email to the obvious address.
Posting this address in clear text is just the "on" switch for spambots, but here is a hint.

Option the Second:
Find us on Facebook, in the magnificent
Umah Thurman Midget Circus
Join up there, or just drop the modmins a message. They will pass any request on to the Administerrerrerr for this place.

ALL I WANT IS A PROPER CUP OF COFFEE

A forum for the off topic stuff. Everything from religion to philosophy to sex to humor (see why it used to be called Buggery?). All manner of rude psychological abuse is welcome and encouraged.
Jaeger
Baron von Scrapple

Re: ALL I WANT IS A PROPER CUP OF COFFEE

Post by Jaeger » Thu Sep 24, 2020 12:14 pm

red wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 6:26 pm
...Since quitting the tobacco sticks, my tolerance for caffeine went way down. Can't down a pot of coffee and go to bed like I used to as a young man. Wait... maybe I just didn't sleep back then.
Really? Weird. When I quit cigarettes (the first time) my caffeine intake skyrocketed. Then again, I was still in my 20s at that point -- and working as a night-shift dispatcher.

Of course I went back to smoking AND drinking 3-4 pots of coffee a night. I've moderated both over the years, but I'm still quite addicted to both caffeine and nicotine. Now it's just vape, snus, and only a single pot of coffee a day.

--Jaeger

Bigshankhank wrote:The world is a fucking wreck, but there is still sunshine in some places. Go outside and look for it.
<<NEUTIQUAM ERRO>>
2018 Indian Scout -- "Lilah"

red
Yap. Doomed for all eternity.

Post by red » Thu Sep 24, 2020 6:34 pm

I miss smoking, especially the ritual of it, and the little moments away. Haven't touched them since 2011 besides a few flings while traveling for work and Do0M.

I honestly don't drink more than 2 or 3 cups a day.
Proud Survivor From Thread Hole 64 Campaign
1987 CBR600F Hurricane Sprawl Bike
-=High Tech / Low Life=-

DerGolgo
Zaphod's Zeitgeist

Post by DerGolgo » Fri Sep 25, 2020 4:44 am

red wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 6:26 pm
What I want to know is why do I want coffee when I shouldn't drink it? Typically, around 9pm.
Do you have a cup of coffee when you get up in the morning? Conceivably, your body- or neuro-chemistry somehow adjusted itself to process caffeine when you're in a tired state, hence a craving.

I remember when I was serving my bit of conscription, there was one fella in the facility where I worked (assisted living). He'd have at least two mugs of coffee in the morning. And another one or two in the afternoon, after work.
And if there was any coffee left in the evening, eight or nine pm, before going to bed, he'd have that. And then basically switched off and slept like a rock.
It was explained to me that, for some people, coffee doesn't just stimulate, but also helps them get to sleep. Not a thing I have ever experienced personally.
red wrote:
Thu Sep 24, 2020 6:34 pm
I miss smoking, especially the ritual of it, and the little moments away.
If I may contribute as to that point
Show
Disclaimer: I don't want to suggest that you use a habit-forming substance.
You can do it with, or without, the nic. But specifically contrasted with caffeine, it bears elaborating.

Nicotine is a remarkable substance. It's both a stimulant and a depressant. Picks you up in the morning, or when you have to pull an all nighter. But will also calm you down when you're wound up, won't it.
I've read a number of opinions by people who research that stuff scientifically, including reputable physicians. They figure that nicotine is a safer stimulant than caffeine, since it doesn't mess with your pulse/heart-rhythm, like caffeine does, nor gives your the jitters by overstimulating your nervous system. Also a thing caffeine does.

I understand that potheads and black-market dealers have given vaping a bad rep in the US.
But it lets you scratch the itch and get the ritual without murder-cancering your lungs, with or without nicotine.

You don't have to use a device that requires a blowtorch and precision wire-cutters to set up. That is, you don't have to do it the fun way.
Friends of mine use a device, one of many available, that's build for convenience and stealth. Intensity/vapor production is controlled by how hard you draw. A fire button, an LED for battery status. Very simple. One friend thinks it's great fun to use it on the commuter train. By law, vaping is treated as smoking here, so is plus-illegal on any public transport. He can hide the device in his hand, and it lets him control vapor production so well, he makes no visible clouds, and neither other passengers nor conductors will notice.
This, for example, is what my friends use.
Show
The "Yearn" by Uwell.
It's smaller than the USB cable next to the box makes it look. Imagine an older USB stick, a long one. 86.7mm x 20.2mm x 10.4mm; that is 3.41" x 0.79" x 0.41".
The cartridges are ready-to-use, you just have to fill in a juice of your choice. Heating element and wick are built in and, once those wear out, the cartridge is easily disposed of. My friend fills up multiple cartridges so he has spares, and doesn't have to mess with a bottle while he is waiting for his train.
I'm told that a full charge, from empty, is achieved within one hour on the charger that plugs in the wall outlet. My friend usually gets by comfortably on one charge between leaving home in the morning and returning in the afternoon.
If he unusually doesn't, he just recharges it on his power brick.
This is just one example. There are many devices from many manufacturers. If you want to look into this, I am of course available for advice and support in finding a device that suits you.
On juice and running costs
Show
In case you figure e-juice prices are prohibitive, or the legislature in your state has bent over for big-tobacco and outlawed the stuff, fear not.
Mixing your own, from easily procured pharmaceutical-grade ingredients, is no great shakes.

For most people who aren't me, just buying pre-made juice and using small devices such as the one above does the job, and so much cheaper than smoking, the initial hardware purchase pays for itself within a month. That math is obviously not relevant to your situation, I mention it just to illustrate.

Me, I vape like a steam engine. On some days, I'll consume an order of magnitude more juice than those other, normal people.
Mixing my own juice, I estimate my running costs are maybe ~20% of what my pack-a-day habit would cost me.
If there were absolutely anything to be afraid of, don't you think I would have worn pants?

I said I have a big stick.

red

Post by red » Fri Sep 25, 2020 5:21 am

DerGolgo wrote:
Fri Sep 25, 2020 4:44 am
If I may contribute as to that point
Show
Disclaimer: I don't want to suggest that you use a habit-forming substance.
You can do it with, or without, the nic. But specifically contrasted with caffeine, it bears elaborating.

Nicotine is a remarkable substance. It's both a stimulant and a depressant. Picks you up in the morning, or when you have to pull an all nighter. But will also calm you down when you're wound up, won't it.
I've read a number of opinions by people who research that stuff scientifically, including reputable physicians. They figure that nicotine is a safer stimulant than caffeine, since it doesn't mess with your pulse/heart-rhythm, like caffeine does, nor gives your the jitters by overstimulating your nervous system. Also a thing caffeine does.

I understand that potheads and black-market dealers have given vaping a bad rep in the US.
But it lets you scratch the itch and get the ritual without murder-cancering your lungs, with or without nicotine.

You don't have to use a device that requires a blowtorch and precision wire-cutters to set up. That is, you don't have to do it the fun way.
Friends of mine use a device, one of many available, that's build for convenience and stealth. Intensity/vapor production is controlled by how hard you draw. A fire button, an LED for battery status. Very simple. One friend thinks it's great fun to use it on the commuter train. By law, vaping is treated as smoking here, so is plus-illegal on any public transport. He can hide the device in his hand, and it lets him control vapor production so well, he makes no visible clouds, and neither other passengers nor conductors will notice.
This, for example, is what my friends use.
Show
The "Yearn" by Uwell.
It's smaller than the USB cable next to the box makes it look. Imagine an older USB stick, a long one. 86.7mm x 20.2mm x 10.4mm; that is 3.41" x 0.79" x 0.41".
The cartridges are ready-to-use, you just have to fill in a juice of your choice. Heating element and wick are built in and, once those wear out, the cartridge is easily disposed of. My friend fills up multiple cartridges so he has spares, and doesn't have to mess with a bottle while he is waiting for his train.
I'm told that a full charge, from empty, is achieved within one hour on the charger that plugs in the wall outlet. My friend usually gets by comfortably on one charge between leaving home in the morning and returning in the afternoon.
If he unusually doesn't, he just recharges it on his power brick.
This is just one example. There are many devices from many manufacturers. If you want to look into this, I am of course available for advice and support in finding a device that suits you.
On juice and running costs
Show
In case you figure e-juice prices are prohibitive, or the legislature in your state has bent over for big-tobacco and outlawed the stuff, fear not.
Mixing your own, from easily procured pharmaceutical-grade ingredients, is no great shakes.

For most people who aren't me, just buying pre-made juice and using small devices such as the one above does the job, and so much cheaper than smoking, the initial hardware purchase pays for itself within a month. That math is obviously not relevant to your situation, I mention it just to illustrate.

Me, I vape like a steam engine. On some days, I'll consume an order of magnitude more juice than those other, normal people.
Mixing my own juice, I estimate my running costs are maybe ~20% of what my pack-a-day habit would cost me.

I tried the vape route and didn't take to it at all. Back before this state banned smoke-able (<0.3% THC) hemp flower, I enjoyed that in rolled form.
-=High Tech / Low Life=-

red

Post by red » Fri Oct 02, 2020 7:03 am

I just got a nice bag of Jamaican Blue Mountain (blend) beans. It's tasty, not as good as 100% JBM but still good.
-=High Tech / Low Life=-

red

Post by red » Mon Jun 28, 2021 5:16 am

I was out getting filters for my Aeropress and I saw a basic pour-over mug kit and couldn't resist.
PXL_20210628_103543667.jpg
PXL_20210628_112741990.jpg
My first attempt was yesterday, but it was hot out, so I added extra sugar and ice cubes. Ended up pretty tasty. My cup today was a bit weak but not terrible at all.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-=High Tech / Low Life=-

DerGolgo
Zaphod's Zeitgeist

Post by DerGolgo » Mon Jun 28, 2021 6:54 am

I don't think this has yet been mentioned here. Came across my path on the facebooks a while back. Sorry I didn't think to share. They were looking for crowdfunding at the time.

https://hiconsumption.com/jogo-coffee-brewing-straw/

The idea is clever, actually. Delicious coffee for when you're camping and stuff, and you can't lug the whole French Press along.
The idea: heat water, add coffee grounds (real coffee, not the instant abomination).
Then, instead of fumbling about with filters or anything, just suck it through the straw. There's a mesh-grid that does the job of the pressing bit in the French Press, basically.

The more I think about it, the more I like the idea. This is the future. This is what we need for mankind to move on, to get out of the cradle.
I don't know how they make coffee in microgravity, presently. But I bet dollars to donuts, it's gonna be worse than even the brown sadness water that comes out of vending machines down here.
This, though. Attach to a plastic bag with coffee grounds in it. Add hot water through a valve. Bingo bongo - zero-g coffee that's worth drinking!

So as near as I can tell, we now finally have assembled all the technology we need to get our Arse to Mars!
If there were absolutely anything to be afraid of, don't you think I would have worn pants?

red

Post by red » Mon Jun 28, 2021 4:06 pm

Dear Gods, we've reached out pinnacle!
-=High Tech / Low Life=-

red

Post by red » Wed Nov 24, 2021 5:58 am

I got some fancy mushroom blend coffee! I used to take Lion's Mane supplements, and they seemed to help with focus; so I thought I'd try the coffee. So far, it does seem to have more focus than normal coffee, without the jitters.
PXL_20211121_133842619.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-=High Tech / Low Life=-

DerGolgo
Zaphod's Zeitgeist

Post by DerGolgo » Wed Nov 24, 2021 1:52 pm

red wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 5:58 am
I got some fancy mushroom blend coffee!
I was gonna ask for more details, entirely certain that finding anything like that here in potato would be yet another feat of super-human Amazon-scrolling.
And I just find that not only do people sell such coffee here, it's even described with the very simple term I had immediately decided could not possibly be getting used, seeing how we love to make up complex terms no one could ever guess for simple things.

How do you prepare this, Aeropress? French press? Filter? I'm seeing that stuff right away, first search... but so far, I'm only seeing the ground variant, which is generally way too fine for the Frenchie.

red

Post by red » Wed Nov 24, 2021 7:16 pm

Unfortunately, it's ground only. It would be funny to open a bag full of beans and dried mushrooms.

I'm using a pour over and it's definitely muddy, which I don't like. I keep meaning to get a normal coffee maker for times like this.
-=High Tech / Low Life=-

DerGolgo
Zaphod's Zeitgeist

Post by DerGolgo » Thu Nov 25, 2021 6:28 am

How about it. I found whole-bean mushroom coffee. "Cheerful Buddha" brand. Got Lion's Mane and a few other things.
And it's only about 6 or 7 times as expensive as the sort of "fair trade" coffees I usually buy.
I'm gonna await your report before I try.

red

Post by red » Fri Nov 26, 2021 6:45 am

DerGolgo wrote:
Thu Nov 25, 2021 6:28 am
How about it. I found whole-bean mushroom coffee. "Cheerful Buddha" brand. Got Lion's Mane and a few other things.
And it's only about 6 or 7 times as expensive as the sort of "fair trade" coffees I usually buy.
I'm gonna await your report before I try.

I searched for that band, in whole bean, and was unable to find it. Interesting. So, it's been 6 days, and besides the muddiness due to the grind
size, I'm liking it. I'm a few hours into my shift today, without my mix of reg and 'shroom coffee and my focus does seem to be a little off compared to earlier in the week when I was tearing through my work. Will continue to ingest and report back.

About 4 years ago, I took straight lion's mane supplements and they helped but I ran out after a while and I'm really bad about supplements and I'm lucky I remember to take my actual medication every morning. But put some supplements in my coffee, definitely won't forget it.
-=High Tech / Low Life=-

DerGolgo
Zaphod's Zeitgeist

Post by DerGolgo » Sat Nov 05, 2022 4:21 am

This. I want this. I want it with a flaming passion.
smeg.jpg
Admit it. You want it in your life. It is perfect. And it's not even some cheap novelty, it's €199,99 from old man Bezos's store.
Sheer serendipity: Membership Package required, stat!
Show
While looking for a clip of the man saying the thing, I found this channel instead.

He is like the housefly. He streaks away from a car as a fly flees the clumsy hand- with impunity and grace. And a Go Pro. And choice language. Impunity, grace, a Go Pro, and choice language. He is of course wrong about the Fiat 500, but such discussion is what this place is for to begin with. :P
The bike he seems to daily in that traffic is a kilo Ninja, btw.

How are we on pinkie-export certificates for the UK, post Brexit and all? @Johnny Duncan?

And I do love how he wastes the tech-support scammer's time. :lol:
Unfortunately, further research revealed that the actual Smeg is not suitable for my needs, that being coffee ground suitable for a French Press or, on rare occasions, an Aero Press.

Act I: Here be the setup:
In April this year, I had to buy a new coffee grinder.
Show
I spent a little more than the last time, on a name-brand model from Germany's probably most well established coffee-preparation-accessory brand, Melitta. The company's name is the first name of the woman who started it after (supposedly) inventing the modern paper filter when she had improvised one using the blotting paper her kids used in their exercise books. Whether there was already blotted ink to add some flavor is not recorded.

When I got it, I did notice how it spat out far more over-fine grounds than the old one. But those came with enough of a static charge, most of it got stock to the top of the receptacle and could be spooned off before loading the French Press.
I still would do a second filtration, and I still would clear a layer of black gunk out of my mug at the end of the day. The coffee would also turn a bit bitter after a while, but it seemed acceptable.
Act II: Here be the conflict:
THIRTY FUCKING PERCENT!!
Show
In recent weeks, though, I seemed to be spending more and more time separating fine coffee-grounds stuck to the plastic container, carefully spooning them out, trying to minimize the amount of appropriately sized grounds I had to take out.
aussortiert.jpeg
As you can see in this photographs, I end up spooning out an lot. A good deal of it is properly ground bycatch, but it's not like I can throw that fish back just like that.
Yes, I missed out the edge of the spoon when weighing, probably on account of being blind on that side and all.

But just how much coffee do I pay for but cannot brew with?
Here is the weigh-in before the spooning:
alles.jpeg
tara.jpeg
Deducting the weight of the container from the initial weighing, I start out with 112 grams of coffee grounds.
Assuming a generous 10 grams for the partial weight of the spoon, that's 34 grams. Let's see, 34g/112g*100%...
That's fucking THIRTY PERCENT, and no less than 30%, that I'm paying for - but cannot use! :x

So once again, I start researching. Not nearly willing to spend a half grand on the fanciest fancy, but no false economies. Just the cost of coffee I've lost since April would have covered the price difference between the name-brand machine I saddled myself with, and a proper grinder.
The SMEG, as much as I instantly fell in love with it, is not for French Press grinding.

Act III: Here be the resolution:

The Baratza Encore.
EncoreWhite_1054xKopie.jpg
Why the heck this one, specifically?
Show
The review that had convinced me to get this one had been from a guy who seems to make a living testing coffee-related everything. He reports that he has the Encore on standby to make French Press coffee for guests (hisself appearing to be an Espresso person). That his own mother would only drink the coffee he made by French Press after it had been put through another filter, not unlike I have been doing it.
But now that he uses the Encore to grind coffee for his French Press, she drinks the coffee poured straight from the French Press, no additional filtration needed, and that she likes it. Pretty much exactly what I want.
Actual fucking build quality
Show
Yes, it's not motorcycle colored. But that would have been almost a week for shipping, while the one in anti-flash white (I've just decided it's a part of the V-Bomber Force, painted to withstand the heat flash of a nuclear blast) was to arrive within 2 days. And it did.

Unpacking it, I was already pleasantly surprised. That bugger is heavy, everything feels solid, and even the plug wore a hat:
stecker.jpeg
UPDASLEDIT: being me, I of course dropped a piece of it today. The cover of the hopper, as it happens.
It did not break. It did not even get a crack. I'm not sure it didn't get a little buffer on the way down, so I will surely not just get nonchalant about it.
Still. With one exceptions, transparent bits of coffee grinders hitting the ground is par for the course, unfortunately. Every (electric, non-antique) coffee grinder I have ever owned bears the scars of transparent bits hitting the ground. At the very least, there would be tiny cracks around the edge, or entire patterns of tiny, parallel cracks forming along a stress riser.
I shall not rely on it instead of trying to be careful. But even the low-import plastic on this machine can hit the ground and is ready for an encore (see what I did there? :mrgreen: ).
And it didn't end there.
The user manual explicitly forbade cleaning the top ring or any part of the grinder assembly with water. Because they would rust.
Yes, the people who designed this didn't just pick any old grade of stainless with whatever limitations that would have entailed.
What is more, between grinders and the hopper on top is a silicone-rubber gasket. Fiddly to install, yeah - but evidence that whoever designed this machine wasn't just throwing together bits in a pretty casing. Was paying attention to functionality, which is unfortunately rare in consumer appliances, isn't it.
Using it is... it's as if this was made to be operated by, y'know. A person.
Show
The machine has a three-piece interface. The kill-switch that can turn either way, the hopper that must be turned to select the grinding grade, and the fire button.
There is no dial or whatnot to select the amount of coffee that is to be ground. No, there is a fire button. You press it, and the grinder grinds. You don't, and it don't. The manual suggests not to grind beyond a level indicated on the receptacle, to avoid clogging.

Yes. The people who made this machine made the terrifying assumption that the user can operate a simple appliance where that operation is just to press a button, wait, and then don't press the button. These guys are off the chain!! :mrgreen:

CORRECTION:The user does not, after all, have to keep the button pressed. What I had assumed to be a master/kill switch is, after all, a bridge of the fire-button. Turn it on, it grinds without further intervention, and until intervention.
Yes, I made an ASS outta U and Me. Because of course! :P
In light of the above correction, this segment is less curious than initially assumed
Show
Curiosity: all the grinders I had before had the selector for an amount of coffee to be ground, and an on/off button, would take care of themselves there. If the hopper ran empty before the selected amount of grinding had been completed (pretty certain there's just a rotation-counter in any such machine), the motor would spin free. And would spin up to crazy, She can't take any more, Captain! RPM. However much noise the machine made when grinding, this would be an order of magnitude or so louder.
Since, on the Encore, the grinding only happens while the operator pushes the button, and the operator can be relied upon to do crazy stunts like let go of the button, that screaming high RPM should be no problem, should it. And it isn't.
Because the Encore has an RPM limit. That's the difference between mere good design and design that I would love, that speaks to me, potato. Instead of just a boring AC motor, as cheap and sufficient as possible, the Encore evidently has either some kind of RPM limiter, or (more likely) a dedicated driver circuit for the motor.
The grinding grade can not only be adjusted, it can be adjusted with very fine gradations! The other grinder went from 1 to 17, the one I had had before went form 1 to 12, but had two or so unmarked detents beyond that.
The Encore goes from 0 to 40!
0 being the finest, 40 being coarsest, the French Press is the most coarse application named in the manual. For that, the suggested setting is 28.
You know I started off at 40. :evil:
This is what I get when I use it:
mahlgut.jpeg
It's not entirely homogeneous. That might relate to the high setting. There certainly is none of the fine coffee dust the other grinder made. None that I can see, nor that I can taste.

The open bag of beans right now is the cheaper (but okay) store-brand Arabica. The very nice Arabica, from an Ethiopian grower's co-op that costs twice as much and that keeps me coming back even when I think I've found a cheaper alternative, it remains on standby.
Right now, I'm in the experimentation phase, to see how nice I can make the coffee from the cheaper beans. For now, the maximum setting appears maybe a bit much.

I will report the progress that I make.

DerGolgo
Zaphod's Zeitgeist

Post by DerGolgo » Sat Nov 05, 2022 5:43 am

Results the 1st:
At grinding grade 40, all other steps of preparation the same as before, the cheap bean coffee tastes okay. Not delicious, but okay. Note however: I got to the bottom of the urn before it turned bitter, unlike with the previous grinder.

Results the 2nd:
At grinding grade 30, there is definitely more aroma. But I'm leaning to trying the mid-30s, with an extra scoop maybe.

Results the 3rd:
Grade 35, one extra scoop (for a total of 10 in a 1.5 liter French Press).
I'm liking this!

Next: preparation sans 2nd filtration.

DerGolgo
Zaphod's Zeitgeist

Post by DerGolgo » Mon Nov 07, 2022 6:20 am

Results the 4th: cheap beans sans 2nd filtration. Satisfactory on all levels!

Next: the good beans.

DerGolgo
Zaphod's Zeitgeist

Post by DerGolgo » Mon Nov 07, 2022 9:17 am

Results the 5th: the good beans, ground at 35, one more scoop than I used to use. Yummy. Also: no embittering after a few hours. Coffee remains surprisingly palatable. Not delicious like when fresh, but not yuch, either.

Five stars. Would recommend.