PLEASE LOGIN TO SEE ANYTHING.
This measure is inconvenient, yes, but necessary at present.
Click below for more information.

2024 LOGIN/Posting ISSUES
Click if you have a problem.
Show

If you cannot Debauch because you get an IP blacklist error, try Debauching a second time. Someone is overzealous at our hosting company, but only on the first attempt.

If you have problems logging in, posting, or doing anything else, please get in touch.
You know the email (if you don't, see in the registration info below), you know where to find the Administerrerrerr on the Midget Circus.

Some unpleasant miscreant was firing incessant database queries at our server, which forced the Legal Department of our hosting company, via their Abuse subdivision, to shut us down. No I have none.
All I can do it button the hatches, and tighten up a few things. Such as time limits on how long you may take to compose a post and hit Debauch! As of 24/01/10, I've set that at 30 minutes for now.

To restrict further overloads, any unregistered users had to be locked out.
How do we know who is or isn't an unregistered user?
By forcing anyone who wants in to Log In.
Is that annoying?
Yes. But there's only so much the Administerrerrerr can do to keep this place running.

Again, if you have any problems: get in touch.

REGISTRATION! NEW USERS!
Registration Information
Show
Automatic registration is disabled for security reasons.
But fear not!
You can register!

Option the First:
Please drop our fearless Administerrerrerr a line.
Tell him who you are, that you wish to join, and what you wish your username to be. The Administerrerrerr will get back to you. If you're human, and you're not a damn spammer, expect a reply within 24 hoursish. Usually quicker, rarely slower.

Unfortunately, the Contact Form is being a total primadonna right now, so please send an email to the obvious address.
Posting this address in clear text is just the "on" switch for spambots, but here is a hint.

Option the Second:
Find us on Facebook, in the magnificent
Umah Thurman Midget Circus
Join up there, or just drop the modmins a message. They will pass any request on to the Administerrerrerr for this place.

ALL I WANT IS A PROPER CUP OF COFFEE

A forum for the off topic stuff. Everything from religion to philosophy to sex to humor (see why it used to be called Buggery?). All manner of rude psychological abuse is welcome and encouraged.
Toonce(s)
Asshat Spambot

Re: ALL I WANT IS A PROPER CUP OF COFFEE

Post by Toonce(s) » Fri May 15, 2015 10:29 am

This is my new rig for my apartment. One of the first things I bought, went with a burr mill because by Odin's Ravens I knew I was going to need decent brew to survive my lifestyle revision.

Burr mill + pourover kit = Alton Brown's perfect cup.

It's a stack of fuck-shit on top of itself, Ninja.

DerGolgo
Zaphod's Zeitgeist

Post by DerGolgo » Fri May 15, 2015 11:15 am

^^
THAT is how you make a good cup of coffee.
Okay, cup ... gallon drum :mrgreen:

Used to be, I'd like to sleep in. I'd work out, to the minute, when I'd set my alarm clock, when I'd get up, so I could grab every last minute before heading out to work. I had that down to a science. How foolish I was.
Now, I get up hours early. Not just because I don't have to hurry then but, MUCH more important, to get my coffee fix. About 20 to 24 of your fluid ounces when I'm on the early, 8 AM shift. A full pot, about 34 fluid ounces, when I'm on the 10 AM shift. TWO pots when I clock in at noon. :mrgreen:
I don't drink any coffee past 4pm, though, regardless of shift, so about two and a half pots is my maximum for the day.
I never really did the math, yeah, that's more than I expected.
Guess I picked that up from my pa, who usedd go through two or three pots a day himself when working from home.
But I don't care. I buy my coffee fair-trade, I hear it has beneficial health effects like reducing the risks of certain cancers, and it's fucking delicious.
If there were absolutely anything to be afraid of, don't you think I would have worn pants?

I said I have a big stick.

Toonce(s)
Asshat Spambot

Post by Toonce(s) » Fri May 15, 2015 11:37 am

The only caveat to this setup (that is the correct usage in case you are reading this Rhinoviper) is that it takes a bit of patience and care. The end result is dependent on at what rate the water is poured over. You can't just dump it in, it won't extract right. You have to gently feed it, and I even like to pour a starter amount, let it drain out, then do a few more iterations of pour gently and wait. The only drawback to this is the amount of cooling that occurs during this process, in case you like rocket-hot coffee. I have been keeping the kettle on simmer to help mitigate the cooling. Taste and strength is super duper. Being a born again bachelor, this also gives me something to focus on in the mornings. I'll work up to morning sex eventually (one would hope).

red
Yap. Doomed for all eternity.

Post by red » Fri May 15, 2015 5:46 pm

Toonce(s) wrote:
Pintgudge wrote: ...
They did science on it and found a lower acidity than regular coffee brewed with steam or boiling water, and a lower amount of caffeine too.
I hope someone will try this so you will know that I am not hallucinating,(not that there is anything wrong with that), and just because I want to share the goodness!
Ohhh yeah. This stuff which I have found recently is seriously the shit.

I'm going to have to try the above method to see if I can get close to it. Chameleon has the taste you are describing, and also seriously high caffeine levels.
You said the caffeine was low on the soda bottle method. Is that something you are going for? Is there some remedy for this?
I saw this at our grocery store last weekend, I'll have to get some tomorrow. Cold brew is amazing.

Lately I've been enjoying the lazy man's coffee. Aldi brand k cup Columbian. It's damn good for k cup.
Proud Survivor From Thread Hole 64 Campaign
1987 CBR600F Hurricane Sprawl Bike
-=High Tech / Low Life=-

guitargeek
Master Metric Necromancer

Post by guitargeek » Sat May 16, 2015 3:55 am

I stayed a few days at a friend's house, and had K cup coffee a few times, Wolfgang Puck's brand. Pretty damn good, I must admit!
Elitist, arrogant, intolerant, self-absorbed.
Midliferider wrote:Wish I could wipe this shit off my shoes but it's everywhere I walk. Dang.
Pattio wrote:Never forget, as you enjoy the high road of tolerance, that it is those of us doing the hard work of intolerance who make it possible for you to shine.
xtian wrote:Sticking feathers up your butt does not make you a chicken

red

Post by red » Sat May 16, 2015 5:44 am

The Chameleon cold brew black coffee is absolutely Jangleplatz.
-=High Tech / Low Life=-

wyckedsin
Barista of Doom

Post by wyckedsin » Sat May 16, 2015 9:25 am

I just brought back a bunch of Kauai Coffee when we came back from Hawaii. It is very very smooth, hints of coconut, and very low acid. The same qualities you can find in Pure Kona Coffee.

I do need to get a good grinder (one bag is whole beans). Currently, I use an insulated STARBUCKS french press thermos. It was a gift, otherwise I wouldn't spend the money on $tarbucks products. LOL
Sanity has left the building

Bigshankhank
Fully Autonomous Cock-Puncher

Post by Bigshankhank » Sun Jun 07, 2015 3:24 am

So living in an RV comes with certain privations, but no way am I doing without coffee. During the week, I am covered at the office. Here? Cannot have a glass carafe in a traditional coffee maker. As luck would have it, a few years back I bought a piece of kitsch at a garage sale that is coming into good use.

Apparently back in the day when one traveled, hotels did not have coffee makers in each room, so the discerning vacationer would bring this along with the rest of their luggage. Hence the leather case and plastic containers for carrying ones favorite local grounds (or bean, apparently the lid carried a grinder as well but that was no longer present in this set). So I am perc'ing a cup of coffee as I type this. I feel like such a hipster using my vintage coffee maker, but hey, any port in a storm amiright?
It's time for Humankind to ditch the imaginary friends of our species' childhood and grow the fuck up.
-Davros

"Lasse mich deine Seele dem Herrscher der Finsternis opfern"

Let me sacrifice your soul to the ruler of darkness

Always carry a bottle of whiskey when you travel in case of a snakebite. Futhermore, always carry a small snake.

Toonce(s)
Asshat Spambot

Post by Toonce(s) » Sun Jun 07, 2015 9:00 am

You could probably sell that to an actual hipster for enough to buy a new RV with a built in coffee maker.

0l4fderstout
Maltov Rattlecan

Post by 0l4fderstout » Thu Jul 09, 2015 8:38 am

Anyone had Black Blood of the Earth? http://www.funraniumlabs.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Jaeger
Baron von Scrapple

Post by Jaeger » Thu Jul 09, 2015 10:19 am

0l4fderstout wrote:Anyone had Black Blood of the Earth? http://www.funraniumlabs.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Funranium Labs wrote:After several failed attempts, true glory was met by the third iteration of the experiment where I started by putting the grind in a 4L Erlenmeyer flask, covered it with a watch glass, and let it stand for a day. By my calculations, I produced the equivalent of 145 cups of conventional coffee’s worth of caffeine in 5.7 cups of volume. I was terrified by the idea of passing Batch 3 through this entire process two more times to achieve the coffee that my acquaintance had in Japan. Later, I realized that this was actually a very lossy process that could stand a great deal of improvement. I quickly moved beyond my failed apparatus and the original cold brew rig; there were improvements to be made…
Oh, I wanna try me some of dat chit...

--Jaeger
Bigshankhank wrote:The world is a fucking wreck, but there is still sunshine in some places. Go outside and look for it.
<<NEUTIQUAM ERRO>>
2018 Indian Scout -- "Lilah"

Bigshankhank

Post by Bigshankhank » Sun Jul 12, 2015 4:19 am

Lets try a little chemistry experiment.
It's time for Humankind to ditch the imaginary friends of our species' childhood and grow the fuck up.
-Davros

Always carry a bottle of whiskey when you travel in case of a snakebite. Futhermore, always carry a small snake.

Rench
the Harm in Harmony

Post by Rench » Sun Jul 12, 2015 5:29 pm

So you're doing THAT ^^^^^ in a mobile home somewhere down south? And the feds haven't kicked your door in yet beeeeeecaaaauuuuse!?!?!? :mrgreen:

-Rench
"I'm not a schemer..."

"Do you know why it's illegal to put gasoline in a glass container?" - Piccinni

Bigshankhank

Post by Bigshankhank » Mon Jul 13, 2015 3:24 am

Oh I moved out of the RV at the beginning of the month of July, a little coffee brewer/My 1st Meth Lab is totally legit in a nice neighborhood.
-Davros

Jaeger
Baron von Scrapple

Post by Jaeger » Mon Jul 13, 2015 7:03 am

Bigshankhank wrote:Oh I moved out of the RV at the beginning of the month of July, a little coffee brewer/My 1st Meth Lab is totally legit in a nice neighborhood.
WTF is that thing?

--Jaeger
Bigshankhank wrote:The world is a fucking wreck, but there is still sunshine in some places. Go outside and look for it.
<<NEUTIQUAM ERRO>>
2018 Indian Scout -- "Lilah"

Bigshankhank

Post by Bigshankhank » Mon Jul 13, 2015 7:49 am

Jaeger wrote:
WTF is that thing?

--Jaeger
Better Coffee Through Chemistry.
Basically you use a little alcohol burner (because FIRE) to boil water in the lower flask. Insert the filter and pour the grounds into the upper chalice, which has a narrow neck into the lower flask which allows the boiling water to flow upward and fill the chalice. Remove the flame, allow the water to flow back into the lower flask bringing the coffee through the filter, then remove the chalice and using the handle/stand which is holding the flask, pour into a cup and drink the brew as one does. I have a video of it working, its kind of neat. It makes a very "clean" cuppa, no grounds or residue in the bottom of the cup. Takes a long time to brew though, the instructions warn against having the flame too high but I am playing with it to get it right. Using the wick-height settings recommended took about 45 minutes to bring to a boil, my 2nd attempt I raised the wick a couple mm's and brought the brew time down to about 25 minutes, I would be happy with maybe 10-15 so I had time to eat breakfast while it works.
In the background you can see its stablemates, the modern single cup brewer as well as the vintage hipster percolator in its case. I'll have to do a Pepsi challenge between the three and see which is best.
-Davros

guitargeek

Post by guitargeek » Mon Jul 13, 2015 10:27 am

Bigshankhank wrote:Lets try a little chemistry experiment.
I have that same Hario syphon... only mine is cracked. :-(
Midliferider wrote:Wish I could wipe this shit off my shoes but it's everywhere I walk. Dang.
Pattio wrote:Never forget, as you enjoy the high road of tolerance, that it is those of us doing the hard work of intolerance who make it possible for you to shine.

DerGolgo
Zaphod's Zeitgeist

Post by DerGolgo » Mon Jul 13, 2015 11:27 am

A principle not entirely dissimilar to the Moka Pot, isn't it?

If there were absolutely anything to be afraid of, don't you think I would have worn pants?

Bigshankhank

Post by Bigshankhank » Mon Jul 13, 2015 12:04 pm

I think so Derg, except in the case of mine (and apparently GG's) the water filters back down instead of upwards into a new chamber. In fact watching the animation again it looks like what you posted is more similar to a traditional percolator.
-Davros

Bigshankhank

Post by Bigshankhank » Mon Jul 13, 2015 12:09 pm

guitargeek wrote: I have that same Hario syphon... only mine is cracked. :-(
I shudder to think how much the glassworks would be to replace. Maybe the bottom flask is common enough (distillation or reaction type) to be easy to get, but the upper chalice seems pretty specialized.
How quickly were you able to get it to boil? Obviously the volume of water is a factor as is elevation above sea level, but I don't think where you are (elevation-wise) is so different from where I am to make a difference outside of a lab.
-Davros

DerGolgo
Zaphod's Zeitgeist

Post by DerGolgo » Mon Jul 13, 2015 12:25 pm

Bigshankhank wrote:I think so Derg, except in the case of mine (and apparently GG's) the water filters back down instead of upwards into a new chamber. In fact watching the animation again it looks like what you posted is more similar to a traditional percolator.
So it boils up into the upper bottle and condenses down into the lower bottle once more?
Won't it just boil away again then?
I don't get how that machine works.
WITCHCRAFT!! :mrgreen:

Bigshankhank

Post by Bigshankhank » Mon Jul 13, 2015 4:28 pm

DerGolgo wrote:
Bigshankhank wrote:I think so Derg, except in the case of mine (and apparently GG's) the water filters back down instead of upwards into a new chamber. In fact watching the animation again it looks like what you posted is more similar to a traditional percolator.
So it boils up into the upper bottle and condenses down into the lower bottle once more?
Won't it just boil away again then?
I don't get how that machine works.
WITCHCRAFT!! :mrgreen:
No re-boiling, once the water rises into the upper chalice you remove the heat source which allows the water to drop back down into the flask.
-Davros

AZRider
"I said THREE motorcycles worth of Fuck You!"

Post by AZRider » Wed Jul 22, 2015 6:53 pm

Other methods may produce a superior cup, but only the drip coffeemaker is readily available with a built in timer programmable to brew my coffee fifteen minutes before the alarm clock starts shrieking.
I have a Pyrex Wulkex version of the methlab coffee brewer, inherited from my very hip gay great-uncle. I have never tried it because I need to get a screen filter for it.
"Motorcycles are made of three kinds of materials: various metals, various plastics, and Fuck You. The trick is to design and build them with the right proportion and distribution of these three materials."
"--Really.. I AM a nice guy by preference. I do, however, have other options." - Merlyn

MoraleHazard
Vatican Sex Kitten

Post by MoraleHazard » Tue Aug 25, 2015 7:00 am

I want to make a pot of proper Arabic coffee, but I have to ground the cardamom, so I've been lazy about it.
666(k) Retirement Plan of the Beast. Only offered by Dis Annuities.

'91 EX500 (sold)
'04 R1150R

It's like getting bitten by a radioactive horse and instead of getting a really large cock you turn into a brony.

Beemer Dan
Dark Poohbah

Post by Beemer Dan » Sat Aug 29, 2015 11:29 pm

The wife and I did a heavy bit of research after our last coffeemaker gave up the ghost and this one stood out as a champ:

http://www.technivorm.com/products/brew ... ed_silver/

It seems a bit over the top, but if you like coffee more than sunshine it's worth it. I think we got about 3 thousand pots out of it before it broke. We sent it back when that happened and they fixed it free, we only paid shipping. This thing makes the best damn cup of coffee I've ever had and now I'm spoiled. When it broke I felt more desperation than when the battery on my bike died in Fell's Point in downtown Baltimore. Seriously, if I had to choose between the coffeemaker or my iPhone being broken for a week I'd just spend the whole time blackout drunk.

One thing to note- as perfect as the cups of coffee are that comes from this coffeemaker, they pale in comparison to having a cup with friends, or that first cup of the morning when waking up in a strange place with the bike nearby and contemplating a few hundred miles of asphalt.
They swore it was the correct one, but swearing doesn't make a sprocket fit where it doesn't want to. --WeAintFoundShit

guitargeek

Post by guitargeek » Thu Dec 24, 2015 8:04 pm

Zim wrote:I've been having great results with an Aeropress. Smooth and rich.

"What'd you get, Dad?"
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

DerGolgo
Zaphod's Zeitgeist

Post by DerGolgo » Sun Dec 27, 2015 2:49 am

Got my belated birthday present yesterday.
My sisters and I, we don't give each other Christmas gifts, but we also don't see each other between my birthday in mid December and Christmas itself, so the family Christmas is when I got my birthday present.
I just got to try out a cup of coffee I made with the aid of this:

It's the Ceramic Coffee Mill Skerton, or so it says on the box, by Hario.
Judging by the sparse use of English in the manual, and on the box, and all the URLs mentioned ending in .co.jp, it would appear to be made primarily for the Japanese market.
It doesn't appear to be badly made, quite the opposite. But recalling what I've heard about the Japanese's obsession with quality in anything food- or drink-related, I'm smiling.
The reason I had wanted a coffee mill to begin with was this ice-brewing stuff that had been mentioned in this very thread. So, going through my parents' basement, I dug out grandpa's old coffee mill.
A beautiful monstrosity, made from sandcast metal. Problem, I have no idea where to find carbon brushes for a sixty year old coffee mill.
My father, digging for something else in his basement, found his own old coffee mill. Only 40 years on its back, it still runs. Also, with 40 year old shaft seals and other gaskets, the moment you switch it on it stinks to high heaven and is NOT something one should prepare anything for human consumption with.

I hadn't really thought much more of it, but after days of wracking my brain how to answer my sisters' question as to what I want for my birthday, coffee mill was all I could come up with. Hand-cranked, after the experience with the two electric mills I mentioned, ceramic grinder that won't mind getting rinsed out and won't wear out so quickly, adjustable coarseness and surprisingly large capacity. I ended up milling slightly more than I could use in my 1 liter pot.
I've made a regularly brewed pot for a start. I might be that the specific brand of whole beans I got along with is superior, but I doubt it. It's darn delicious!

Pintgudge
The Big Oooola

Post by Pintgudge » Sun Dec 27, 2015 12:34 pm

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_AMyTZF2cu64/S ... pong+1.JPG" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This looks like what I have. A Spong #3, made in England. Adjustable grind, mounts on the wall, or clamps to the edge of a table. Infeed hopper holds about 1/2 pint whole beans.

I found it in a antique store for $15.00. People seem to want a lot more than that now.

It is nice not to hear the electrical manic whiney noise, but just a mellow "grind, grind, grind".
If man is fit to be governed, is any man fit to govern?

These are the days of miracles and wonder!

'81 Goldwing Standard w/'61 Ural Sidecar

'06 Bajaj Chetak

red

Post by red » Sun Dec 27, 2015 1:06 pm

I'm back to my old beat up Bodum press and just about finished with a bag of Jamaican Blue Mtn blend. It's kinda meh. Looking forward to the bag of Ethiopian beans I bought yesterday.
-=High Tech / Low Life=-

guitargeek

Post by guitargeek » Sun Dec 27, 2015 7:05 pm

Along with the Aeropress (from the elusive Yeti), I also got a bag of coffee from the Death Wish Coffee Company, warnings all over the box about how it's THE STRONGEST COFFEE IN THE WORLD.

It's pretty good.

I grind it very fine in my $2 thrift store Braun grinder, make it nice and strong. It's definitely a different experience than I'm used to! Using my French press these last few years, I've grown accustomed to a thick, chewy, gritty cup of mud, like a slap in the adrenal glands. All that's absent from my coffee now, though it's still quite flavorful! It's very much like switching to filtered cigarettes after enjoying the unfiltered variety... still plenty strong, but not so XTREEEEEM!! It's more... subtle.