PLEASE LOGIN TO SEE ANYTHING.
This measure is inconvenient, yes, but necessary at present.
Click below for more information.

2024 LOGIN/Posting ISSUES
Click if you have a problem.
Show

If you cannot Debauch because you get an IP blacklist error, try Debauching a second time. Someone is overzealous at our hosting company, but only on the first attempt.

If you have problems logging in, posting, or doing anything else, please get in touch.
You know the email (if you don't, see in the registration info below), you know where to find the Administerrerrerr on the Midget Circus.

Some unpleasant miscreant was firing incessant database queries at our server, which forced the Legal Department of our hosting company, via their Abuse subdivision, to shut us down. No I have none.
All I can do it button the hatches, and tighten up a few things. Such as time limits on how long you may take to compose a post and hit Debauch! As of 24/01/10, I've set that at 30 minutes for now.

To restrict further overloads, any unregistered users had to be locked out.
How do we know who is or isn't an unregistered user?
By forcing anyone who wants in to Log In.
Is that annoying?
Yes. But there's only so much the Administerrerrerr can do to keep this place running.

Again, if you have any problems: get in touch.

REGISTRATION! NEW USERS!
Registration Information
Show
Automatic registration is disabled for security reasons.
But fear not!
You can register!

Option the First:
Please drop our fearless Administerrerrerr a line.
Tell him who you are, that you wish to join, and what you wish your username to be. The Administerrerrerr will get back to you. If you're human, and you're not a damn spammer, expect a reply within 24 hoursish. Usually quicker, rarely slower.

Unfortunately, the Contact Form is being a total primadonna right now, so please send an email to the obvious address.
Posting this address in clear text is just the "on" switch for spambots, but here is a hint.

Option the Second:
Find us on Facebook, in the magnificent
Umah Thurman Midget Circus
Join up there, or just drop the modmins a message. They will pass any request on to the Administerrerrerr for this place.

ALL I WANT IS A PROPER CUP OF COFFEE

A forum for the off topic stuff. Everything from religion to philosophy to sex to humor (see why it used to be called Buggery?). All manner of rude psychological abuse is welcome and encouraged.
red
Yap. Doomed for all eternity.

Re: ALL I WANT IS A PROPER CUP OF COFFEE

Post by red » Mon Dec 28, 2015 6:12 am

http://www.cnet.com/how-to/coffee-grind ... -be-using/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Proud Survivor From Thread Hole 64 Campaign
1987 CBR600F Hurricane Sprawl Bike
-=High Tech / Low Life=-

guitargeek
Master Metric Necromancer

Post by guitargeek » Mon Dec 28, 2015 7:28 am

Elitist, arrogant, intolerant, self-absorbed.
Midliferider wrote:Wish I could wipe this shit off my shoes but it's everywhere I walk. Dang.
Pattio wrote:Never forget, as you enjoy the high road of tolerance, that it is those of us doing the hard work of intolerance who make it possible for you to shine.
xtian wrote:Sticking feathers up your butt does not make you a chicken

Bigshankhank
Fully Autonomous Cock-Puncher

Post by Bigshankhank » Tue Dec 29, 2015 7:40 am

So I learned something about culture while I was in Amsterdam. Like a naive' American I assumed that as a general rule all European nations took their coffee seriously. Thus while strolling around the old city every morning I was excited to avoid the all-too-common Starbucks and try the local blend. Turns out "Coffee Shop" in Dutch means "Place to buy weed with a Bunn and some paper cups in the back somewhere". And of course without a Dutch passport I couldn't buy anything there more interesting than stale Folgers so I left a little disappointed.
It's time for Humankind to ditch the imaginary friends of our species' childhood and grow the fuck up.
-Davros

"Lasse mich deine Seele dem Herrscher der Finsternis opfern"

Let me sacrifice your soul to the ruler of darkness

Always carry a bottle of whiskey when you travel in case of a snakebite. Futhermore, always carry a small snake.

DerGolgo
Zaphod's Zeitgeist

Post by DerGolgo » Tue Dec 29, 2015 8:26 am

Bigshankhank wrote: Turns out "Coffee Shop" in Dutch means "Place to buy weed with a Bunn and some paper cups in the back somewhere".
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
If there were absolutely anything to be afraid of, don't you think I would have worn pants?

I said I have a big stick.

guitargeek

Post by guitargeek » Tue Dec 29, 2015 8:32 am

What? You have to be Dutch to buy weed?

I just ran out of reasons to visit Amsterdam!
Midliferider wrote:Wish I could wipe this shit off my shoes but it's everywhere I walk. Dang.
Pattio wrote:Never forget, as you enjoy the high road of tolerance, that it is those of us doing the hard work of intolerance who make it possible for you to shine.

jae
Magnum Jihad

Post by jae » Tue Dec 29, 2015 9:04 am

guitargeek wrote:What? You have to be Dutch to buy weed?

I just ran out of reasons to not befriend a Dutchman in Amsterdam!
fixed
There, I said it.
http://instagram.com/norrisjc
http://youtube.com/kacivic

Dying old and healthy from boredom is not an achievement.

Bigshankhank

Post by Bigshankhank » Tue Dec 29, 2015 9:11 am

guitargeek wrote:What? You have to be Dutch to buy weed?

I just ran out of reasons to visit Amsterdam!
Yup, they check your passport everywhere that weed is available. Now, as Jae suggested what's to stop you from making friends in a local coffee shop and getting some passed your way?
It's time for Humankind to ditch the imaginary friends of our species' childhood and grow the fuck up.
-Davros

Always carry a bottle of whiskey when you travel in case of a snakebite. Futhermore, always carry a small snake.

guitargeek

Post by guitargeek » Tue Dec 29, 2015 10:30 am

Now that I've had a little coffee, this seems very obvious.

Bigshankhank

Post by Bigshankhank » Tue Dec 29, 2015 10:53 am

guitargeek wrote:Now that I've had a little coffee, this seems very obvious.
Unrelated, but how's the weather treating you out there? My folks in North TX have been catching hell the last few days.
-Davros

guitargeek

Post by guitargeek » Tue Dec 29, 2015 11:50 am

Bigshankhank wrote:
guitargeek wrote:Now that I've had a little coffee, this seems very obvious.
Unrelated, but how's the weather treating you out there? My folks in North TX have been catching hell the last few days.
Typically nasty.

We had sideways rain that turned to ice, and now it's just cold, I'm glad to still have power.

Earthquake last night knocked out power to 4500 homes, not a good time to be without...

DerGolgo
Zaphod's Zeitgeist

Post by DerGolgo » Thu Dec 31, 2015 9:02 am

Pintgudge wrote:Take a two liter empty soda bottle, rinse, put in four cups room temperature water, and one and three quarter cups of coarsly ground coffee. I used French roast. Put on the cap, shake and let sit for twelve hours. Then I put it in my french press to filter it, and stored it in a glass bottle. They suggest you use a paper filter too but I didn't. Mix 1/3 syrup to 2/3 boiling water and try it out!
I have obeyed your instructions (hey, I'm German, it's what we do!) and tried this out.
Tasty!
Took all the beans I had left and affixing my power drill to my coffee-mill, as my gimp arm just couldn't grind quite that amount.
Let it steep for 18 instead of 12 hours, simply because I couldn't be bothered to get at 6AM.
I have some syrup left, I think I'll use less water when I prepare me some tomorrow. I want to see how this goes when it's a bit stronger than normal.

Important note: these coarse coffee grounds and room temp water somehow clogged up my coffee filters something fierce. Gonna pour it through a sieve before filtration next time I make some.
If there were absolutely anything to be afraid of, don't you think I would have worn pants?

guitargeek

Post by guitargeek » Thu Dec 31, 2015 2:44 pm

I'd want to add the coffee syrup to coffee.

MATPOC
The Unreasonable Ukranian

Post by MATPOC » Fri Jan 15, 2016 9:59 pm

Been doing french press at home (Pattios Rancilio at work) but few month ago I got a Toddy cold brew, this thing is the ballz!

https://toddycafe.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

never heard of this before but I now have a coffee roaster in the building (to complement 14 woodworkers and one brewery) and he carries those things to complement his beans, one of the very few things he has other than beans.

Make about 2 quarts of concentrate at a time, keeps for 2+ weeks in the fridge, now all I have to do is boil some water, pour concentrate 1/4 to 1/3 of the cup, fill with boiling water, comes out perfect temp ready to drink and takes no time, no clean up (OK, there is come clean up every 2 weeks when I make new batch)

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

DerGolgo
Zaphod's Zeitgeist

Post by DerGolgo » Sat Jan 16, 2016 4:11 am

I've become very much convinced by cold-brew.
I make it with the aid of some funnels and a soda bottle, mix syrup and water 1/1, yummy.
I've been grinding my beans coarse, thus far, wanna try a finger grain for the next batch. Finer grain = more surface area = more transference of "coffee-substance" from bean to water.

Pintgudge
The Big Oooola

Post by Pintgudge » Sat Jan 16, 2016 8:43 pm

I'm glad you tried it. I think it tasts better than coffee made with heat.

It is good to share!
If man is fit to be governed, is any man fit to govern?

These are the days of miracles and wonder!

'81 Goldwing Standard w/'61 Ural Sidecar

'06 Bajaj Chetak

DerGolgo
Zaphod's Zeitgeist

Post by DerGolgo » Fri Jan 22, 2016 3:34 am

Finer grain tastes okay, but isn't worth the hassle of grinding so fine.
Gonna try coarse again, but I'll add some bitter coacoa, just to see how that turns out.
The coacoa will jam up any paper filter, but those don't work well with cold water anyway, I've found.
So I also ordered a tea-sieve and a permanent steel coffee filter to optimize my cold-brew production line.

Pattio
Centrifugal Savant of Two Wheel Transportation

Post by Pattio » Fri Jan 22, 2016 5:54 am

I'm on board with this room-temperature coffee thing, after having a cup at MATPOC's on a December morning. I bought a Filtron rig on Amazon. My first couple efforts were weird and disappointing, but we all have to start somewhere. I won't say I'm 'never going back', but I do like the smoothness of a concentrate-based cup. I make the morning coffee in my household, and I like the simplicity of adding some heated water to the concentrate compared to the previous ritual. It seemed weak and strange at first, but I am coming around to understanding how much of the 'coffee experience' was the gurgle and wheeze of the machine and the heat and acidity of the product. The only downside so far is that I find it so easy to produce a cup in the late afternoon with some concentrate and the microwave that IMAYBEHAVINGALITTLETOOMUCHBUTIREALLYLIKEIT...
-Pattio-

DerGolgo
Zaphod's Zeitgeist

Post by DerGolgo » Mon Jan 25, 2016 3:16 pm

I tried cold-brewing a bottle of coffee with some bitter cocoa added in the mix.
After multiple steps of filtration, I was left with a dark-brownish liquid, rather than the black I'd get with just coffee.
Unfortunately, when I went to the fridge to get the bottle the next day, it was black, too. With a layer of brown cocoa mud at the bottom of the bottle.
I filtrated it again, and found that the flavor wasn't noticeably different from previous batches, those without the cocoa.
A big mess, with nothing to show for it, the romm-temp water had failed to dissolve the cocoa powder.

Pintgudge
The Big Oooola

Post by Pintgudge » Mon Jan 25, 2016 7:42 pm

All of life is an experiment.

People can tell you stuff, but until you try it for yourself it's just hearsay.

'06 Bajaj Chetak

Zim
Ayatollah of Mayhem

Post by Zim » Tue Jan 26, 2016 1:03 pm

I have been relying on a Keurig. Yes, shame on me. But as a way to kick the K-Cup habit, I intentionally bought a low supply of the pods PLUS a bag of whole beans so that I could revisit my other brewing methods. Today was when the cups ran out.

So I dug out a long forgotten French Press and pressed it into service. Good lord, I feel like an RC166, all angry-loud, buzzy and fast!

For the sake of self preservation, I'll skip the moka pot test for a while.
"Every time I start thinking the world is all bad, then I start seeing some people having a good time on motorcycles... it makes me take another look." --Steve McQueen

guitargeek

Post by guitargeek » Tue Jan 26, 2016 11:46 pm

Prairie Wolf Vodka is made not too far from me, and I'm in love with their coffee liqueur, Dark.

jae
Magnum Jihad

Post by jae » Wed Jan 27, 2016 5:53 am

guitargeek wrote:Prairie Wolf Vodka is made not too far from me, and I'm in love with their coffee liqueur, Dark.
That looks both delicious and dangerous. I'll have to see if I can find any locally. edit: internet search doesn't look optimistic, maybe I'll have to go visit my grandparents in Lawton again soon...
There, I said it.
http://instagram.com/norrisjc
http://youtube.com/kacivic

Dying old and healthy from boredom is not an achievement.

MATPOC
The Unreasonable Ukranian

Post by MATPOC » Wed Jan 27, 2016 8:05 pm

So first issue with Toddy is the glass decanter, way too thin, cracked while being moved inside the fridge, $20-something to replace it

second problem I ran in to was the grind, my local roaster has been doing the cold brew for a while (sells it from the keg with nitrogen at the summer market) so he has it all figured out, he used to grind my beans, now it seems he has been on vacation and I went to the local coffee shop that roasts beans, before my neighbor came along they were my sole supplier of beans, so I figured they know how to grind for cold brew... apparently they don't, got a finer grind than I'm used to and it clogged the whole fucking thing, what a mess...

that batch is almost gone and I don't feel like going back to the coffee shop and telling them how to grind beans, can't wait for my neighbor to get back, I NEED MY DRUG!!

DerGolgo
Zaphod's Zeitgeist

Post by DerGolgo » Wed Jan 27, 2016 11:54 pm

Shouldn't have waited for my birthday to get me a coffee grinder.
Even if I brew up the "old fashioned" way, fresh ground is bestest. Even with middling beans.
Great fun: taking off the handle and attaching the cordless drill to the grinder shaft so as to grind vast quantities.
Electric grinder may suffer electric gremlins some day, and spare parts may not be easy to come by. Cheap cordless drills can be had any time.

DerGolgo
Zaphod's Zeitgeist

Post by DerGolgo » Sat Feb 27, 2016 6:48 am

Mass and/or mess production.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

DerGolgo
Zaphod's Zeitgeist

Post by DerGolgo » Fri Apr 15, 2016 1:40 pm

I set up another batch of cold brew yesterday.
Broke one of my six precious 1 liter glass bottles in the process.
Another, while they were lying on their sides, showed an imperfection in the seal of the cap, leaking a bit there.
If all that wasn't enough I ... forgot.
Instead of 18 hours, they steeped for 26.
Tomorrow's first cuppa will surely be interesting ...

I also went grocery shopping today. And just what was on sale?
20160415_233717.jpg
2.5 liters, or 0.66 gallons in CoE. That shall help me streamline my coffee production, oh hells yeah!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

guitargeek

Post by guitargeek » Sat Apr 16, 2016 10:01 am

I never thought I'd be jealous of Florida Man...

DerGolgo
Zaphod's Zeitgeist

Post by DerGolgo » Sat Apr 16, 2016 10:33 am

Is it real coffee, though, or some "instant" abomination?

DerGolgo
Zaphod's Zeitgeist

Post by DerGolgo » Tue Jul 12, 2016 5:36 am

So, about ten days after I escaped the neuro-rehab clinic, I found the energy to put on a new batch of cold-brew.
The plan was to let it steep for about 18 hours, as always.
Except I forgot. And it steeped for about 44 hours instead ...
Obviously, I expected anything that had steeped that long would first knock my teeth out and only THEN start punching me.
Except it didn't. Came out quite nice. Not notably better than when steeped for about 18 hours, but it's okay.

However, I despair at the amount of fluid I cannot get out of the coffee grounds. There is lost coffee there.
So, I must find some form of extraction device. I wonder whether they make french-presses in gallon-size ...

Pintgudge
The Big Oooola

Post by Pintgudge » Tue Jul 12, 2016 3:27 pm

Maybe you could put filter paper in a salad spinner?

I'm really happy that others are enjoying the cold brew without paying the commercial purveyors a fortune!

'06 Bajaj Chetak