PLEASE LOGIN TO SEE ANYTHING.
This measure is inconvenient, yes, but necessary at present.
Click below for more information.

2024 LOGIN/Posting ISSUES
Click if you have a problem.
Show

If you cannot Debauch because you get an IP blacklist error, try Debauching a second time. Someone is overzealous at our hosting company, but only on the first attempt.

If you have problems logging in, posting, or doing anything else, please get in touch.
You know the email (if you don't, see in the registration info below), you know where to find the Administerrerrerr on the Midget Circus.

Some unpleasant miscreant was firing incessant database queries at our server, which forced the Legal Department of our hosting company, via their Abuse subdivision, to shut us down. No I have none.
All I can do it button the hatches, and tighten up a few things. Such as time limits on how long you may take to compose a post and hit Debauch! As of 24/01/10, I've set that at 30 minutes for now.

To restrict further overloads, any unregistered users had to be locked out.
How do we know who is or isn't an unregistered user?
By forcing anyone who wants in to Log In.
Is that annoying?
Yes. But there's only so much the Administerrerrerr can do to keep this place running.

Again, if you have any problems: get in touch.

REGISTRATION! NEW USERS!
Registration Information
Show
Automatic registration is disabled for security reasons.
But fear not!
You can register!

Option the First:
Please drop our fearless Administerrerrerr a line.
Tell him who you are, that you wish to join, and what you wish your username to be. The Administerrerrerr will get back to you. If you're human, and you're not a damn spammer, expect a reply within 24 hoursish. Usually quicker, rarely slower.

Unfortunately, the Contact Form is being a total primadonna right now, so please send an email to the obvious address.
Posting this address in clear text is just the "on" switch for spambots, but here is a hint.

Option the Second:
Find us on Facebook, in the magnificent
Umah Thurman Midget Circus
Join up there, or just drop the modmins a message. They will pass any request on to the Administerrerrerr for this place.

ALL I WANT IS A PROPER CUP OF COFFEE

A forum for the off topic stuff. Everything from religion to philosophy to sex to humor (see why it used to be called Buggery?). All manner of rude psychological abuse is welcome and encouraged.
red
Yap. Doomed for all eternity.

Re: ALL I WANT IS A PROPER CUP OF COFFEE

Post by red » Tue Jul 12, 2016 3:44 pm

DerGolgo wrote: The plan was to let it steep for about 18 hours, as always.
Except I forgot. And it steeped for about 44 hours instead ...
Obviously, I expected anything that had steeped that long would first knock my teeth out and only THEN start punching me.
Except it didn't. Came out quite nice. Not notably better than when steeped for about 18 hours, but it's okay.
I'm glad you posted this.

I've been religiously brewing for 12 hours, worried that it would be undrinkable if I went over that time.

Proud Survivor From Thread Hole 64 Campaign
1987 CBR600F Hurricane Sprawl Bike
-=High Tech / Low Life=-

DerGolgo
Zaphod's Zeitgeist

Post by DerGolgo » Wed Jul 13, 2016 2:51 am

red wrote:
I've been religiously brewing for 12 hours, worried that it would be undrinkable if I went over that time.
My pleasure entirely.
I found that 12 hours was a little short for my liking, actually.
The flavour does improve a bit after that, still. The first couple of times, I stuck with 12 to 18 hours, too. After I went across the 18 hour line the first time, I liked the result and stuck with 18 to 24 after that.
The increase in aroma that I mentioned was what made me fear the dental repercussions from a 40+ hour steep that I mentioned earlier.
If there were absolutely anything to be afraid of, don't you think I would have worn pants?

I said I have a big stick.

DerGolgo
Zaphod's Zeitgeist

Post by DerGolgo » Fri Jul 22, 2016 2:05 am

On GGs vehement recommendation, I got me an Aeropress.
That sucker makes a MEAN cuppa, don't it.

One of the ways they recommend to make one in the manual is the Americano. Half a cup of coffee, hot water on top.
I'd actually do that, only using much more coffee than the manual recommended. Simply because I have a LARGE mug, and the Aeropress is a bit small to fill the whole thing.
Also makes a mean Latte.

But just today, I was struck by inspiration. Or maybe it was that Volkswagen five years back.
Anyway, I was thinking.
After getting home from another round of treatments for my headache.
Should I have a nice mug of cold-brew? Or make one on the Aeropress?

Here's what I did:
Take cold-brew from fridge. Heat in microwave.
Prepare a half a mug of coffee on the Aeropress, 1.5 spoons of coffee grounds.
Add a wee drop of milk to the latter. And then fill the mug the rest of the way with the hot cold-brew.

It's good!
If there were absolutely anything to be afraid of, don't you think I would have worn pants?

red

Post by red » Mon Sep 26, 2016 6:25 am

I did a new batch of cold brew using Peruvian beans, let it brew for 15 hours and it's excellent!

Over the weekend I also tried a new store bought cold brew, from Stumptown Coffee and was not impressed. Too acidic and yet watery.
IMAG2067.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-=High Tech / Low Life=-

DerGolgo
Zaphod's Zeitgeist

Post by DerGolgo » Wed Nov 16, 2016 4:55 am

I got the usual daily email from Amazon with recommendations.
And, for a change, it is NOT another flavour of something I've already purchased. But something potentially useful.

A metal permanent-filter for the Aeropress.
Ten bucks. 30-days-money-back-guarantee. I can use it and, if I don't like it, return it and get a full refund.
My greatest concern is that I might have to spend a minute or two cleaning it for every mug I wanna make.
Thoughts?

Bigshankhank
Fully Autonomous Cock-Puncher

Post by Bigshankhank » Mon Nov 28, 2016 5:35 am

OK so there was a lot of chatter about "cold brew" coffee, so I bought a bottle of this to dip my toe into the trend, so to speak.

This shit is undrinkable. I tried it straight (despite the label stating it is concentrated). Then I tried it with 1:2 coffee:water, still nasty. Dropped it down to 1:1, still nasty. I think it would be fine if it were hot, like coffee should be. I do not get this trend of "Let's take a thing, and serve it in a completely atypical fashion". How about this, lets bake a fucking pie with the crust inside like a goddamned Twix? This is how we get cold coffee, hot yoga, butt-chugging and businessmen presidents. Seriously this shit sucks, I don't mean to shout get off my lawn, but what the everliving fuck is with this? The whole point of yoga is to feel like you worked out without actually sweating, why do it in a sauna? Coffee should be hot, served in a styrofoam cup truckstop-style, or if you are a pinkies-out kind of guy then in a ceramic mug (either is perfectly acceptable).

TBH I would totally get down on a Twix pie, so that is a bad example.
It's time for Humankind to ditch the imaginary friends of our species' childhood and grow the fuck up.
-Davros

"Lasse mich deine Seele dem Herrscher der Finsternis opfern"

Let me sacrifice your soul to the ruler of darkness

Always carry a bottle of whiskey when you travel in case of a snakebite. Futhermore, always carry a small snake.

red

Post by red » Mon Nov 28, 2016 5:46 am

Bigshankhank wrote: This shit is undrinkable. I tried it straight (despite the label stating it is concentrated). Then I tried it with 1:2 coffee:water, still nasty. Dropped it down to 1:1, still nasty. I think it would be fine if it were hot, like coffee should be. I do not get this trend of "Let's take a thing, and serve it in a completely atypical fashion". How about this, lets bake a fucking pie with the crust inside like a goddamned Twix? This is how we get cold coffee, hot yoga, butt-chugging and businessmen presidents. Seriously this shit sucks, I don't mean to shout get off my lawn, but what the everliving fuck is with this? The whole point of yoga is to feel like you worked out without actually sweating, why do it in a sauna? Coffee should be hot, served in a styrofoam cup truckstop-style, or if you are a pinkies-out kind of guy then in a ceramic mug (either is perfectly acceptable).

TBH I would totally get down on a Twix pie, so that is a bad example.

Hahaha! If I recall correctly, cold brew started in Japan, so take that in to consideration!

Personally, I dig it and I am far from some sort of coffee snob. I liked Chameleon at first but now that I make my own, I prefer it over store bought. I've come to really like cold brew using Peruvian beans, it's smooth, slightly sweet and packed with caffeine. But like all things, different strokes for different folks. I hate acidic, over roasted coffee, like Starbucks and dark roasts.
-=High Tech / Low Life=-

Bigshankhank

Post by Bigshankhank » Mon Nov 28, 2016 7:05 am

red wrote: Hahaha! If I recall correctly, cold brew started in Japan, so take that in to consideration!

Personally, I dig it and I am far from some sort of coffee snob. I liked Chameleon at first but now that I make my own, I prefer it over store bought. I've come to really like cold brew using Peruvian beans, it's smooth, slightly sweet and packed with caffeine. But like all things, different strokes for different folks. I hate acidic, over roasted coffee, like Starbucks and dark roasts.
And I am exactly the opposite, in that I prefer darker roasted coffee. I am sure the taste would be more palatable, if it were served correctly (read: SCALDING HOT). Thank you UTMC, now I'll never trust something I read on the internet again.
It's time for Humankind to ditch the imaginary friends of our species' childhood and grow the fuck up.
-Davros

Always carry a bottle of whiskey when you travel in case of a snakebite. Futhermore, always carry a small snake.

Pintgudge
The Big Oooola

Post by Pintgudge » Mon Nov 28, 2016 3:50 pm

No,no,no!!

Cold brew doesn't mean you drink it cold!

That is just the way it is steeped; 1 pint coarse ground coffee to 1 quart plus a little of cold water. shake it up in a 2 liter soda bottle and let sit for 12 or so hours. Then strain through a fine stainless steel seive and voila. . . THAT is the "Cold Brew".

Mix 1/8th of that bottle with a mug of boiling water (to taste)' and try that.

I've never tried that brand, I cold brew my own, but I've been drinking coffee for 50 years now, percolater, mr coffee, melita drip, french press, espresso and I think the cold brew has them all beat.

It is as strong or mild as you like because you decide how much to use, and it does not have the acidic bitterness you get with some other methods.
If man is fit to be governed, is any man fit to govern?

These are the days of miracles and wonder!

'81 Goldwing Standard w/'61 Ural Sidecar

'06 Bajaj Chetak

Bigshankhank

Post by Bigshankhank » Mon Nov 28, 2016 4:11 pm

Pintgudge wrote:No,no,no!!

Cold brew doesn't mean you drink it cold!

That is just the way it is steeped; 1 pint coarse ground coffee to 1 quart plus a little of cold water. shake it up in a 2 liter soda bottle and let sit for 12 or so hours. Then strain through a fine stainless steel seive and voila. . . THAT is the "Cold Brew".

Mix 1/8th of that bottle with a mug of boiling water (to taste)' and try that.

I've never tried that brand, I cold brew my own, but I've been drinking coffee for 50 years now, percolater, mr coffee, melita drip, french press, espresso and I think the cold brew has them all beat.

It is as strong or mild as you like because you decide how much to use, and it does not have the acidic bitterness you get with some other methods.
You know what would be nice? If there were a single shred of instruction on the label. What you wrote far exceeds the entire breadth of data provided by this product, although I recall reading some hogwash about authenticity and flannel and Austin on the side.
Thank you, I did not pour it out yet.
-Davros

Bigshankhank

Post by Bigshankhank » Tue Nov 29, 2016 4:54 am

Round #2, 4oz clear hot water through the Keurig at work, 4oz of concentrated ancient Chinese secret coffee, let is spin in the microwave for 60 seconds. I mean, its smooth to be sure, but is it better? I will say this, the finish of this coffee is similar to brewing it through the Hario in that there is no bitterness.
The jury is still out, I have six more servings in this bottle.
-Davros

Pintgudge
The Big Oooola

Post by Pintgudge » Tue Nov 29, 2016 2:42 pm

Better than cold and straight up though?
If man is fit to be governed, is any man fit to govern?

These are the days of miracles and wonder!

'81 Goldwing Standard w/'61 Ural Sidecar

'06 Bajaj Chetak

Bigshankhank

Post by Bigshankhank » Tue Nov 29, 2016 4:07 pm

Yes.
-Davros

DerGolgo
Zaphod's Zeitgeist

Post by DerGolgo » Thu Dec 08, 2016 5:24 pm

DerGolgo wrote:I got the usual daily email from Amazon with recommendations.
And, for a change, it is NOT another flavour of something I've already purchased. But something potentially useful.

A metal permanent-filter for the Aeropress.
Ten bucks. 30-days-money-back-guarantee. I can use it and, if I don't like it, return it and get a full refund.
My greatest concern is that I might have to spend a minute or two cleaning it for every mug I wanna make.
Thoughts?

I pulled the trigger and have been evaluating this thing for a few days.
No particular "flavorgasm" when compared to the original Aeropress paper filters.
When operating the plunger, there appears to be less resistance initially. Didn't notice any grounds that made it into the final product, so that's okay.

Word of warning: I've caught myself a few times halfway through the coffee-grounds disposal procedure my muscles had memorized in the paper-filter era. Remove the bit with the holes in, open the trashcan, aim and punch the plunger to kick it all out. Thus far, I was able to catch myself and not place the little permanent-filter into the filthy trashcan.

So, if you need filters for yer aeropress anyway, this here wouldn't be a bad idea.

Zim
Ayatollah of Mayhem

Post by Zim » Tue Dec 13, 2016 4:57 am

For the past 10 months I've been using a disk in my Aeropress. Purchased a set which included the screen disk and a perforated metal disk which I alternate between.

The paper filters might make for a cleaner cup of coffee (and cleaner clean-up), but I like my coffee strong, bold and chewy. Sediment, to me, is a sign of a proper brew.

I've sent the metal filter into the trash a few times at first. For cleaning I just rinse the disk after each use, and use soap now and then. If needed, a toothbrush makes for easy clean-up should the disks get clogged.
"Every time I start thinking the world is all bad, then I start seeing some people having a good time on motorcycles... it makes me take another look." --Steve McQueen

guitargeek
Master Metric Necromancer

Post by guitargeek » Thu Dec 15, 2016 11:09 am

I'm enjoying a reeeeeeeally good iced mocha at Lee's in OKC, with a lovely spring roll!

https://leescoffee.com/ushome.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Elitist, arrogant, intolerant, self-absorbed.
Midliferider wrote:Wish I could wipe this shit off my shoes but it's everywhere I walk. Dang.
Pattio wrote:Never forget, as you enjoy the high road of tolerance, that it is those of us doing the hard work of intolerance who make it possible for you to shine.
xtian wrote:Sticking feathers up your butt does not make you a chicken

guitargeek
Master Metric Necromancer

Post by guitargeek » Thu Dec 15, 2016 7:10 pm

Spring rolls, egg rolls, iced mocha for about seven bucks.

Thơm ngon!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Elitist, arrogant, intolerant, self-absorbed.
Midliferider wrote:Wish I could wipe this shit off my shoes but it's everywhere I walk. Dang.
Pattio wrote:Never forget, as you enjoy the high road of tolerance, that it is those of us doing the hard work of intolerance who make it possible for you to shine.
xtian wrote:Sticking feathers up your butt does not make you a chicken

red

Post by red » Thu Oct 05, 2017 5:15 pm

Bigshankhank wrote:Coffee should be hot, served in a styrofoam cup truckstop-style, or if you are a pinkies-out kind of guy then in a ceramic mug (either is perfectly acceptable).
You better get that damn pinky out next time I let you drink my mild roasted coffee in the ceramic JavaSpeed mug pattio gave me.
-=High Tech / Low Life=-

DerGolgo
Zaphod's Zeitgeist

Post by DerGolgo » Fri Oct 06, 2017 2:48 am

red wrote:
Bigshankhank wrote:Coffee should be hot, served in a styrofoam cup truckstop-style, or if you are a pinkies-out kind of guy then in a ceramic mug (either is perfectly acceptable).
You better get that damn pinky out next time I let you drink my mild roasted coffee in the ceramic JavaSpeed mug pattio gave me.
Ah, I see you know the origins of the pinky-extending-maneuver. Jolly good!
Particularly around here ...

Not entirely accurate, though. Both of you.
You extend your pinky to keep that away from the fine bone-china. Because bone-china back in the day, you couldn't scrub it with a vengeance.
The humble workman, meanwhile, was traditionally at best secondarily concerned about the cleanliness of his hands. His is the honest, simple, heavy, durable mug. Traditionally made from materials that, technically, are ceramics. Practically, more like smooth concrete (back in the day). Stoneware wasn't called stoneware because it was brittle rubbish like that bone china.
While the aristocrats, the gentry, and the aspirational classes who mimic them for no good reason, would only ever have tiny, fearful, nervous, timid sips. And extended their disgusting pinkies while doing so.
The "lower" classes would have an honest, heartfelt, well earned slug. Certainly not out of some vessel that would thus be practically emptied on the spot.
The honest workman's calloused hands, and others working in the same fields, like draftsmen and engineers. Or the sailors who'd tackle the murderous seas to carry what the former needed to work with, or would have made. Their brethren operating the slow but steady narrowboats along the canals that had come before the railroads, endlessly trudging by the side of their trusty draft horses on the towpaths. The carters, carrying the goods where no canals had been dug yet, or the very navvies who would do that digging. And later, the builders of the mighty railways, the engineers and stokers who'd tame the mighty steel beasts that would ride them. Certainly the brave men who conquered the skies a century ago, and their successors, who would fly their Lancasters and Wellingtons into the walls of deadly flak over the enemy's industry of war.
Theirs was the mug. And the mug don't give a fuck about no pinky.

Merlyn
Magnum Jihad

Post by Merlyn » Fri Oct 06, 2017 4:03 am

Why the hell did you still HAVE a pinky to hold out?!?!?

Someone report over there with the damn shears- STAT!
- 2007 FXD/Dyna SuperGlide - Black Betty
- 1986 Intruder 700 - Work in Progress

Some days you can look to your left as you ride and see your Valkyrie- pacing you and waiting for her moment...
Days like that, the only appropriate reaction is to call out "Let's dance, beautiful!" and then twist the throttle to it's stop.

Remember, folks- Your vote means fuck-all. If voting could actually change anything it would have been outlawed long ago.
The only votes that mean anything in this day and age are made from rooftops.

red

Post by red » Fri Oct 06, 2017 4:46 am

Merlyn wrote:

I think BSH is the only dis-member in FL, he'll have to prune his own pinky.
-=High Tech / Low Life=-

Bigshankhank

Post by Bigshankhank » Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:37 am

red wrote:
Merlyn wrote:

I think BSH is the only dis-member in FL, he'll have to prune his own pinky.
Well, its not like anyone on a motorcycle forum would have any reason to live in or even so much as visit Florida, what with our year long riding season, racing, Daytona Bike Week, the Keys, Disneyworld, etc...(Excluding Matpoc & Jeager/Mishka, of course).

Gonna hold off on removing the pinky for now while I am remodeling my house, though I'll be using a mitre' saw an awful lot. To paraphrase Tyler Durden, on a long enough timeline, the survival rate for every pinky drops to zero.
-Davros

wyckedsin
Barista of Doom

Post by wyckedsin » Sun Dec 23, 2018 8:42 pm

Sanity has left the building

motorpsycho67
Double-dip Diogenes

Post by motorpsycho67 » Sun Dec 23, 2018 10:02 pm

Heathens.

Tea is the only proper beverage.
'75 Honda CB400F
'82 Kawalski GPz750
etc.

DerGolgo
Zaphod's Zeitgeist

Post by DerGolgo » Mon Dec 24, 2018 3:44 am

motorpsycho67 wrote:Heathens.

Tea is the only proper beverage.
Depends on the application/intended outcome.
For defending against tyrants trying to take over the world, definitely. Cuppa tea, get in that Spitfire, shoot down Jerry, there's a chap.

For creating an Empire covering a quarter of the world's landmass and population, meanwhile. Coffee seems to be it. Where was Lloyd's of London created? In Lloyd's Coffee House, not Lloyd's Tearoom. It is my understanding that, in the 18th century, coffee was rather popular among the officers of His Majesty's Navy.
Also for landing on the Moon. I've seen images of Gene Kranz et al drinking plenty of what appeared to be coffee. Didn't see a lot of teabags in Mission Control.

Bigshankhank

Post by Bigshankhank » Wed Dec 26, 2018 5:24 am

On the topic of local roast, is anyone in the DC cell familiar with Iron Rooster? My client, based in Bawlmer, brought me a bag 'o beans to try out.
-Davros

Jaeger
Baron von Scrapple

Post by Jaeger » Thu Dec 27, 2018 6:59 am

Bigshankhank wrote:On the topic of local roast, is anyone in the DC cell familiar with Iron Rooster? My client, based in Bawlmer, brought me a bag 'o beans to try out.
They have scrapple and pork belly on the breakfast menu... hmmm... perhaps we need to resurrect the old Sunday Brunch!

(Otherwise no, this is new to me.)

--Jaeger
Bigshankhank wrote:The world is a fucking wreck, but there is still sunshine in some places. Go outside and look for it.
<<NEUTIQUAM ERRO>>
2018 Indian Scout -- "Lilah"

Bigshankhank

Post by Bigshankhank » Fri Dec 28, 2018 11:01 am

Jaeger wrote:
Bigshankhank wrote:On the topic of local roast, is anyone in the DC cell familiar with Iron Rooster? My client, based in Bawlmer, brought me a bag 'o beans to try out.
They have scrapple and pork belly on the breakfast menu... hmmm... perhaps we need to resurrect the old Sunday Brunch!

(Otherwise no, this is new to me.)

--Jaeger
Post-DOOM event maybe?
-Davros

red

Post by red » Thu Apr 09, 2020 4:56 am

I cast NECROMANCY to revive this thread!

So, I'm WFH full time now, which means I get to drink my good coffee every day. If I'm at the office, I normally drink K-Cup Chai Tea, it's tasty and the coffee at work is best described as brown sadness water.

Anywho, this may not be news to other French Press users but I started letting my coffee brew in the press for 15 min and it's much much better. I normally went around 10 min and found that some coffees were way too acidic for my taste. I did a bit of Googling and besides finding my way to the coffee equivalent of an oil type discussion, I found that a longer brew time can greatly change the acidity.

So, yeah. Drink up.
-=High Tech / Low Life=-

DerGolgo
Zaphod's Zeitgeist

Post by DerGolgo » Thu Apr 09, 2020 7:30 am

I came to the French Press by way of the Aeropress. So when I first figured out how to french press, I tried using the same amount of coffee grounds per unit water as in the much smaller Aeropress. I'd add 85°C water, and let steep for 3m30s, timing I had used in the Aeropress.
I quickly found that the contents of the French Press would go quite bitter before the second mug. I found the recommendation to pour the French Press contents through a filter after the pressing, to prevent ongoing reactions what would make the coffee bitter. So I started doing that.
Eventually, I found that 90°C tasted a little better, as did a steep time reduced to 3 minutes.

So I gotta ask. 10 minutes?! 15 MINUTES!!!

The coffee I make for myself in the described manner has been found good by guests, and it tastes a good deal better than what my mother, for example, makes with a pour-over arrangement, and many great deals better than the machine-made coffee I'm usually offered when I have business at my bank.

If I may ask, @red. Would you give us the relation of coffee grounds to water, and the approximate water temperature? Would you describe how you "brew in the press"? All I do is shovel the appropriate amount of coffee grounds in there, then add the water, stir for a few seconds, and then wait for three minutes before the pressing business.