Update, 2020/12/01
Please see announcement in Forum Stuff for details.

SECURITY ADVISORY!
Today, 2020/11/18, suspicions have been expressed that there has been a data breach.
At least some DisMembers' login data may have been compromised.
While the facts behind those suspicions have not yet been established, your Administerrerr is treating them as credible. He is looking into this. He will try and beef up security.
Even if you did so only recently:
Please change your password!
Please click here, or use the menu ( button) to navigate to the the User Control Panel, therein to the Profile Tab, and there click Edit Account Settings. You should get it from there on.
For a safe password that will resist brute-force attempts (which we have been subject to in the past), please use upper and lower case letters, AND numerals, AND symbols, and make it as long as you feel feasible. 16 characters seems to be recommended these days.
DO NOT use a password you also use elsewhere.
While your Administerrerr tries to keep this place safe. Get real. Security here is mostly by obscurity, that is, no one serious enough to crack us like a rotten egg is likely to even bother. But if one does, you don't want the safety of your email of facebook or whatever to depend on one mostly blind, mostly clueless autodidact who can't work at this more than a few hours at a time, if that much.

If you used a password here that you also used elsewhere, you must set a new password there, also!
A different password, this time. If someone did breach us, the first thing they are likely to do with your login credentials is to try them out elsewhere. Login credentials compromised here are compromised everywhere else, also. If you did reuse a password, but with a different email, your administerrerrerr strongly urges you NOT rely on that different email keeping you safe. This whole thing runs on a database. That means your half-blind administerrerrerr can operate a database. Do you honestly think identity thieves, and those who sell them passwords by the ten-thousands, won't?
If you get an error message about an invalid form, click here.
Show
Every form you can debauch is on a time limit. Even if you feel you've been reasonably quick, some browsers seem to think otherwise.
Recommendation: type your password in something like a text editor or word processor, highlight (making sure not to highlight any leading or trailing spaces), copy, then reload the account settings page, paste, paste, debauch, and be all quick about it. Like Dan said, back in the when. Be like the housefly, and see the events of the world unfold in liquid slowness, or something to that effect.
If you cannot reset a forgotten password, click here.
Show
The "I forgot my password" function has been buggy for a while, I apologize. I will look into that, also, over the next few days.
UPDATE: I have looked into this. I think it should work now, but I can't test it all with my admin accounts. Anyone who tries it, please do let me know whether it works or not.
You yourself, meanwhile, might look into your SPAM folder. I know, I know, but humor me, please.
Also, if you have been around for a bit, try and remember whether the email you entered there was also the email you registered with back in the when. I'm sure the email addresses associated to some user-accounts are still hotmail.
If none of that solves your confound, hit me through the contact form, or grab me via dm on the Facebooks, or if none of that works, speak up in the Midget Circus. I will look out for you there, but I can't guarantee nothing.

ALL I WANT IS A PROPER CUP OF COFFEE

A forum for the off topic stuff. Everything from religion to philosophy to sex to humor (see why it used to be called Buggery?). All manner of rude psychological abuse is welcome and encouraged.
Jaeger
Baron von Scrapple

Re: ALL I WANT IS A PROPER CUP OF COFFEE

Post by Jaeger » Thu Sep 24, 2020 12:14 pm

red wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 6:26 pm
...Since quitting the tobacco sticks, my tolerance for caffeine went way down. Can't down a pot of coffee and go to bed like I used to as a young man. Wait... maybe I just didn't sleep back then.
Really? Weird. When I quit cigarettes (the first time) my caffeine intake skyrocketed. Then again, I was still in my 20s at that point -- and working as a night-shift dispatcher.

Of course I went back to smoking AND drinking 3-4 pots of coffee a night. I've moderated both over the years, but I'm still quite addicted to both caffeine and nicotine. Now it's just vape, snus, and only a single pot of coffee a day.

--Jaeger

Bigshankhank wrote:The world is a fucking wreck, but there is still sunshine in some places. Go outside and look for it.
<<NEUTIQUAM ERRO>>
2018 Indian Scout -- "Lilah"

red
Yap. Doomed for all eternity.

Post by red » Thu Sep 24, 2020 6:34 pm

I miss smoking, especially the ritual of it, and the little moments away. Haven't touched them since 2011 besides a few flings while traveling for work and Do0M.

I honestly don't drink more than 2 or 3 cups a day.
Proud Survivor From Thread Hole 64 Campaign
1987 CBR600F Hurricane Sprawl Bike
-=High Tech / Low Life=-

DerGolgo
Zaphod's Zeitgeist

Post by DerGolgo » Fri Sep 25, 2020 4:44 am

red wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 6:26 pm
What I want to know is why do I want coffee when I shouldn't drink it? Typically, around 9pm.
Do you have a cup of coffee when you get up in the morning? Conceivably, your body- or neuro-chemistry somehow adjusted itself to process caffeine when you're in a tired state, hence a craving.

I remember when I was serving my bit of conscription, there was one fella in the facility where I worked (assisted living). He'd have at least two mugs of coffee in the morning. And another one or two in the afternoon, after work.
And if there was any coffee left in the evening, eight or nine pm, before going to bed, he'd have that. And then basically switched off and slept like a rock.
It was explained to me that, for some people, coffee doesn't just stimulate, but also helps them get to sleep. Not a thing I have ever experienced personally.
red wrote:
Thu Sep 24, 2020 6:34 pm
I miss smoking, especially the ritual of it, and the little moments away.
If I may contribute as to that point
Show
Disclaimer: I don't want to suggest that you use a habit-forming substance.
You can do it with, or without, the nic. But specifically contrasted with caffeine, it bears elaborating.

Nicotine is a remarkable substance. It's both a stimulant and a depressant. Picks you up in the morning, or when you have to pull an all nighter. But will also calm you down when you're wound up, won't it.
I've read a number of opinions by people who research that stuff scientifically, including reputable physicians. They figure that nicotine is a safer stimulant than caffeine, since it doesn't mess with your pulse/heart-rhythm, like caffeine does, nor gives your the jitters by overstimulating your nervous system. Also a thing caffeine does.

I understand that potheads and black-market dealers have given vaping a bad rep in the US.
But it lets you scratch the itch and get the ritual without murder-cancering your lungs, with or without nicotine.

You don't have to use a device that requires a blowtorch and precision wire-cutters to set up. That is, you don't have to do it the fun way.
Friends of mine use a device, one of many available, that's build for convenience and stealth. Intensity/vapor production is controlled by how hard you draw. A fire button, an LED for battery status. Very simple. One friend thinks it's great fun to use it on the commuter train. By law, vaping is treated as smoking here, so is plus-illegal on any public transport. He can hide the device in his hand, and it lets him control vapor production so well, he makes no visible clouds, and neither other passengers nor conductors will notice.
This, for example, is what my friends use.
Show
The "Yearn" by Uwell.
It's smaller than the USB cable next to the box makes it look. Imagine an older USB stick, a long one. 86.7mm x 20.2mm x 10.4mm; that is 3.41" x 0.79" x 0.41".
The cartridges are ready-to-use, you just have to fill in a juice of your choice. Heating element and wick are built in and, once those wear out, the cartridge is easily disposed of. My friend fills up multiple cartridges so he has spares, and doesn't have to mess with a bottle while he is waiting for his train.
I'm told that a full charge, from empty, is achieved within one hour on the charger that plugs in the wall outlet. My friend usually gets by comfortably on one charge between leaving home in the morning and returning in the afternoon.
If he unusually doesn't, he just recharges it on his power brick.
This is just one example. There are many devices from many manufacturers. If you want to look into this, I am of course available for advice and support in finding a device that suits you.
On juice and running costs
Show
In case you figure e-juice prices are prohibitive, or the legislature in your state has bent over for big-tobacco and outlawed the stuff, fear not.
Mixing your own, from easily procured pharmaceutical-grade ingredients, is no great shakes.

For most people who aren't me, just buying pre-made juice and using small devices such as the one above does the job, and so much cheaper than smoking, the initial hardware purchase pays for itself within a month. That math is obviously not relevant to your situation, I mention it just to illustrate.

Me, I vape like a steam engine. On some days, I'll consume an order of magnitude more juice than those other, normal people.
Mixing my own juice, I estimate my running costs are maybe ~20% of what my pack-a-day habit would cost me.
If there were absolutely anything to be afraid of, don't you think I would have worn pants?

I said I have a big stick.

red

Post by red » Fri Sep 25, 2020 5:21 am

DerGolgo wrote:
Fri Sep 25, 2020 4:44 am
If I may contribute as to that point
Show
Disclaimer: I don't want to suggest that you use a habit-forming substance.
You can do it with, or without, the nic. But specifically contrasted with caffeine, it bears elaborating.

Nicotine is a remarkable substance. It's both a stimulant and a depressant. Picks you up in the morning, or when you have to pull an all nighter. But will also calm you down when you're wound up, won't it.
I've read a number of opinions by people who research that stuff scientifically, including reputable physicians. They figure that nicotine is a safer stimulant than caffeine, since it doesn't mess with your pulse/heart-rhythm, like caffeine does, nor gives your the jitters by overstimulating your nervous system. Also a thing caffeine does.

I understand that potheads and black-market dealers have given vaping a bad rep in the US.
But it lets you scratch the itch and get the ritual without murder-cancering your lungs, with or without nicotine.

You don't have to use a device that requires a blowtorch and precision wire-cutters to set up. That is, you don't have to do it the fun way.
Friends of mine use a device, one of many available, that's build for convenience and stealth. Intensity/vapor production is controlled by how hard you draw. A fire button, an LED for battery status. Very simple. One friend thinks it's great fun to use it on the commuter train. By law, vaping is treated as smoking here, so is plus-illegal on any public transport. He can hide the device in his hand, and it lets him control vapor production so well, he makes no visible clouds, and neither other passengers nor conductors will notice.
This, for example, is what my friends use.
Show
The "Yearn" by Uwell.
It's smaller than the USB cable next to the box makes it look. Imagine an older USB stick, a long one. 86.7mm x 20.2mm x 10.4mm; that is 3.41" x 0.79" x 0.41".
The cartridges are ready-to-use, you just have to fill in a juice of your choice. Heating element and wick are built in and, once those wear out, the cartridge is easily disposed of. My friend fills up multiple cartridges so he has spares, and doesn't have to mess with a bottle while he is waiting for his train.
I'm told that a full charge, from empty, is achieved within one hour on the charger that plugs in the wall outlet. My friend usually gets by comfortably on one charge between leaving home in the morning and returning in the afternoon.
If he unusually doesn't, he just recharges it on his power brick.
This is just one example. There are many devices from many manufacturers. If you want to look into this, I am of course available for advice and support in finding a device that suits you.
On juice and running costs
Show
In case you figure e-juice prices are prohibitive, or the legislature in your state has bent over for big-tobacco and outlawed the stuff, fear not.
Mixing your own, from easily procured pharmaceutical-grade ingredients, is no great shakes.

For most people who aren't me, just buying pre-made juice and using small devices such as the one above does the job, and so much cheaper than smoking, the initial hardware purchase pays for itself within a month. That math is obviously not relevant to your situation, I mention it just to illustrate.

Me, I vape like a steam engine. On some days, I'll consume an order of magnitude more juice than those other, normal people.
Mixing my own juice, I estimate my running costs are maybe ~20% of what my pack-a-day habit would cost me.

I tried the vape route and didn't take to it at all. Back before this state banned smoke-able (<0.3% THC) hemp flower, I enjoyed that in rolled form.
-=High Tech / Low Life=-

red

Post by red » Fri Oct 02, 2020 7:03 am

I just got a nice bag of Jamaican Blue Mountain (blend) beans. It's tasty, not as good as 100% JBM but still good.
-=High Tech / Low Life=-