PLEASE LOGIN TO SEE ANYTHING.
This measure is inconvenient, yes, but necessary at present.
Click below for more information.

EVERYTHING IS MARKED UNREAD!!
click her for the instant fix
Show
First fix:
  • open the menu at the top
  • hit New Posts to see what's actually new and browse the new stuff from there
  • go back to the Forum Index
  • open the menu at the top again
  • click Mark forums read
    this will zero the unread anything for you, so you can strive forth into the exciting world of the new cookie thing.

Because the board got shutdown again because of a load of database, I had to fettle with the settings again.
As part of that, the server no longer stores what topics you have or haven't read.
IT IS STILL RECORDED!
But now, that information lives in a delicious cookie, rather than the forum database.

Upside: this should reduce the load of database.
Downside: if you use multiple devices to access the board, or you reject delicious cookies, you won't always have that information cookie. But the New Posts feature should take care of that.

PLEASE NOTIFY THE ADMINISTERRERRERR ABOUT ANY PROBLEMS!

2024 LOGIN/Posting ISSUES
Click if you have a problem.
Show

If you cannot Debauch because you get an IP blacklist error, try Debauching again time. It may work immediately, it may take a few attempts. It will work eventually, I don't think I had to click debauch more than three times. Someone is overzealous at our hosting company, but only on the first couple of attempts.

If you have problems logging in, posting, or doing anything else, please get in touch.
You know the email (if you don't, see in the registration info below), you know where to find the Administerrerrerr on the Midget Circus.

Some unpleasant miscreant was firing incessant database queries at our server, which forced the Legal Department of our hosting company, via their Abuse subdivision, to shut us down. No I have none.
All I can do it button the hatches, and tighten up a few things. Such as time limits on how long you may take to compose a post and hit Debauch! As of 24/01/10, I've set that at 30 minutes for now.

To restrict further overloads, any unregistered users had to be locked out.
How do we know who is or isn't an unregistered user?
By forcing anyone who wants in to Log In.
Is that annoying?
Yes. But there's only so much the Administerrerrerr can do to keep this place running.

Again, if you have any problems: get in touch.

REGISTRATION! NEW USERS!
Registration Information
Show
Automatic registration is disabled for security reasons.
But fear not!
You can register!

Option the First:
Please drop our fearless Administerrerrerr a line.
Tell him who you are, that you wish to join, and what you wish your username to be. The Administerrerrerr will get back to you. If you're human, and you're not a damn spammer, expect a reply within 24 hoursish. Usually quicker, rarely slower.

Unfortunately, the Contact Form is being a total primadonna right now, so please send an email to the obvious address.
Posting this address in clear text is just the "on" switch for spambots, but here is a hint.

Option the Second:
Find us on Facebook, in the magnificent
Umah Thurman Midget Circus
Join up there, or just drop the modmins a message. They will pass any request on to the Administerrerrerr for this place.

hand me down Gerstner

A forum for the off topic stuff. Everything from religion to philosophy to sex to humor (see why it used to be called Buggery?). All manner of rude psychological abuse is welcome and encouraged.
red
Yap. Doomed for all eternity.

hand me down Gerstner

Post by red » Sat Aug 30, 2014 4:44 pm

Today, my Grandfather gave me one of his Gerstner Machinist tool chests. He has been a machinist all of his adult life and received this chest from a coworker many years ago. He told me some of the history for this model. It was made during WWII, oak was being used by the government, so they used a lesser quality wood and covered it with "leatherette". It has some serious patina but is functional minus one broken latch spring and the name plate has fallen off. I've found the spring and how to get a key for the lock on Gerstner's webpage and I plan on doing the minor repairs at some point.

Too bad I'm not in a trade that uses tools that are worthy of such a box. If I could do it all over again, I would have followed in his footsteps but I'm on my path. Any machine work will be just learning and hobby work.

Proud Survivor From Thread Hole 64 Campaign
1987 CBR600F Hurricane Sprawl Bike
-=High Tech / Low Life=-

calamari kid
Ayatollah of Mayhem

Re: hand me down Gerstner

Post by calamari kid » Sat Aug 30, 2014 7:08 pm

There's just something about an old toolbox, like some kind of mystery treasure chest.
"Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon." -Honda manual circa 1962

"Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba...." -Hunter S Thompson

"A psychotic is a guy who's just found out what's going on." -William S. Burroughs

guitargeek
Master Metric Necromancer

Post by guitargeek » Sun Aug 31, 2014 12:05 am

I recently overhauled a guitar in exchange for an old tool chest. It contained a bunch of different calipers and micrometers, a very clean tap & dye set, cylinder hone, ring compressors, slide hammer bearing pullers, number punches, etc, mostly Craftsman. None of these tools are anything I really need at the moment, but decent tools are just something you pick up whenever they come your way.
Elitist, arrogant, intolerant, self-absorbed.
Midliferider wrote:Wish I could wipe this shit off my shoes but it's everywhere I walk. Dang.
Pattio wrote:Never forget, as you enjoy the high road of tolerance, that it is those of us doing the hard work of intolerance who make it possible for you to shine.
xtian wrote:Sticking feathers up your butt does not make you a chicken

Pattio
Centrifugal Savant of Two Wheel Transportation

Post by Pattio » Sun Aug 31, 2014 2:32 am

There's something poignant about even the idea of having a tool box, cherishing and needing what's in it, taking pride in it and depending on it.

Specialty tools like machine tools are so intriguing with how well-made they are, how important to a very very specific task, and yet so worthless without a machine, a machine shop, materials, and a client to pay for those things.
-Pattio-

red

Post by red » Sun Aug 31, 2014 8:42 am

guitargeek wrote:I recently overhauled a guitar in exchange for an old tool chest. It contained a bunch of different calipers and micrometers, a very clean tap & dye set, cylinder hone, ring compressors, slide hammer bearing pullers, number punches, etc, mostly Craftsman. None of these tools are anything I really need at the moment, but decent tools are just something you pick up whenever they come your way.
You cand send them my way, I'll put 'em the Gerstner where they will be safe and happy. :mrgreen:
-=High Tech / Low Life=-

guitargeek

Post by guitargeek » Sun Aug 31, 2014 10:46 am

The guy used to have a Triumph, which explains the pair of Terry's ring compressors, made in England, and a couple things I don't recognize, but I think one is a special tool to open the sludge trap plugs.

One thing is certain: your chest is nicer! Mine says JC Penny on the front, not Craftsman, which explains why the crinkle paint has all rubbed off, leaving a layer of rust all over the outside. Nothing a little elbow grease and some paint won't fix!
Midliferider wrote:Wish I could wipe this shit off my shoes but it's everywhere I walk. Dang.
Pattio wrote:Never forget, as you enjoy the high road of tolerance, that it is those of us doing the hard work of intolerance who make it possible for you to shine.

red

Post by red » Sun Aug 31, 2014 4:23 pm

This is where the chest came from:

http://weeklyview.net/2013/08/29/the-in ... ld-war-ii/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'm completely infatuated by the Gerstner.
-=High Tech / Low Life=-

guitargeek

Post by guitargeek » Mon Sep 01, 2014 10:04 am

That's extremely cool! Do you know, specifically, what your grandfather did there, what he worked on?

red

Post by red » Mon Sep 01, 2014 11:25 am

guitargeek wrote:That's extremely cool! Do you know, specifically, what your grandfather did there, what he worked on?
He got the chest from an exemployee of Naval Avionics when they worked together in the 50's.
-=High Tech / Low Life=-

Sisyphus
Rigging the Ancient Mariner

Post by Sisyphus » Wed Sep 03, 2014 8:32 am

There's a place 15 minutes down the road from me that sells used tools, all coming from estate sales, etc. A lot of junk but one corner of one of three floors is machinist central. There's stuff there that I have no idea what the fuck it does.
Awhile ago there must have been about thirty different sorts of measuring tools (for QC inspection, likely) and I wanted all of them for they were at bargain basement pricing but the chances I could use any of them were pretty much nil. All that stuff is super cool.
Sent from my POS laptop plugged into the wall

red

Post by red » Wed Sep 03, 2014 5:27 pm

Sisyphus wrote:There's a place 15 minutes down the road from me that sells used tools, all coming from estate sales, etc. A lot of junk but one corner of one of three floors is machinist central. There's stuff there that I have no idea what the fuck it does.
Awhile ago there must have been about thirty different sorts of measuring tools (for QC inspection, likely) and I wanted all of them for they were at bargain basement pricing but the chances I could use any of them were pretty much nil. All that stuff is super cool.

It's tough to pass up inexpensive tools! I'd probably buy them just because you never know when you might need them.
-=High Tech / Low Life=-

guitargeek

Post by guitargeek » Wed Sep 03, 2014 9:15 pm

That's it! I personally feel that one should accumulate tools throughout their lives. Not just wrenches and nail guns, but tools of all sorts.

Do you guys subscribe to Cool Tools?

wyckedsin
Barista of Doom

Post by wyckedsin » Wed Sep 17, 2014 2:16 pm

My wife keeps seeing the box at HF and tells me she is going to buy one for all my reloading dies...I cringe at the thought. Instead, I have a set of plans (on my ipad at the moment) for crafting the same type of box...but...if I could find one with such a really cool story, I would love to have that one instead!

Oh, and one of the local Tattoo Artists uses the same type of box for carrying all of his tattoo hardware.
Sanity has left the building

Bo_9
Ayatollah of Mayhem
Location: Filthy little worn-out, broken down, see through soul.

Post by Bo_9 » Wed Sep 17, 2014 6:50 pm

I have a couple decent (not dented or rusty) Kennedy boxes that appear to have all the hardware that my dad was rebuilding to sell. I've decided to rebuild them for the kids first real toolboxes. Going non-traditional on the paint. Going to try to replicate the wrinkle finish, but the girl wants hers purple with zebra felt lining the drawers. Not sure what the boy will want. Should be a fun project and we'll likely be shopping for some pinstripe work for inside the lid.
When an old man dies a library burns...

"Every accident involving machinery begins with a single defect. Never forget that defect can be between your ears." - E.J. Potter
"I feel like I'm in "my little pony" HELL!!!!" -Goose
"Well, he never ever smiled, but he always seemed pleased."
"keep about your wits, Know yourself and who you came in with"