The adverse side of gentrification

A forum for the off topic stuff. Everything from religion to philosophy to sex to humor (see why it used to be called Buggery?). All manner of rude psychological abuse is welcome and encouraged.
goose
Pâté de Foie Gras

The adverse side of gentrification

Post by goose » Wed Oct 15, 2014 8:07 am

So, the Bay area is, as always, attracting new industry and young people (ie., the dreaded "tech money"). The result is ever changing neighborhood demographics and resident vs. interloper attitudes. Not all the changes, however, are bad. Frankly, I'm not worried about getting shot or robbed by a Google employee. There's more money for new businesses and long boarded up buildings are now rented by whatever the best coffee/panini/cupcake trend is. That said, gentrification takes it's toll with "sprawl". SF is SF. it's 7x7 miles. so there is no real "suburb" or lost area. Oakland, however, is full of industrial, hidden and unknown gems that have been relatively left to obscurity. That's all changing.

http://aceintheholefilm.com/trailer" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Drink triples til you're seeing double, feeling single, and looking for trouble! -Johnny Nitro, RIP

"British bikes of that era are made of a special alloy known as Brittainium. It is the only metal known to be able to rust even when fully submerged in oil. It also corrodes microscopic passages through itself whenever it makes contact with any known gasketing material." - AZ Rider

Re: Husaberg Build: "I pictured it more like the heroin addicted ex that keeps turning up, the bleeding you dry, breaking your heart, and crushing your soul, but you keep taking her back because it's the most fun ride you've ever had..." Bo-9

Sisyphus
Rigging the Ancient Mariner

Re: The adverse side of gentrification

Post by Sisyphus » Sun Oct 26, 2014 4:44 pm

The adverse side of gentrification is everyone's taxes go up, making it unaffordable for the people that made it a habitable place in the first instance.
Sent from my POS laptop plugged into the wall

Bigshankhank
Fully Autonomous Cock-Puncher

Re: The adverse side of gentrification

Post by Bigshankhank » Sun Oct 26, 2014 6:02 pm

Gentrification is the natural process of people trying to buy what makes anything "cool", which then ironically forces aside all of the things that actually make it so.

Keep Austin Weird.
It's time for Humankind to ditch the imaginary friends of our species' childhood and grow the fuck up.
-Davros

"Lasse mich deine Seele dem Herrscher der Finsternis opfern"

Let me sacrifice your soul to the ruler of darkness

Always carry a bottle of whiskey when you travel in case of a snakebite. Futhermore, always carry a small snake.