PLEASE LOGIN TO SEE ANYTHING.
This measure is inconvenient, yes, but necessary at present.
Click below for more information.

EVERYTHING IS MARKED UNREAD!!
click her for the instant fix
Show
First fix:
  • open the menu at the top
  • hit New Posts to see what's actually new and browse the new stuff from there
  • go back to the Forum Index
  • open the menu at the top again
  • click Mark forums read
    this will zero the unread anything for you, so you can strive forth into the exciting world of the new cookie thing.

Because the board got shutdown again because of a load of database, I had to fettle with the settings again.
As part of that, the server no longer stores what topics you have or haven't read.
IT IS STILL RECORDED!
But now, that information lives in a delicious cookie, rather than the forum database.

Upside: this should reduce the load of database.
Downside: if you use multiple devices to access the board, or you reject delicious cookies, you won't always have that information cookie. But the New Posts feature should take care of that.

PLEASE NOTIFY THE ADMINISTERRERRERR ABOUT ANY PROBLEMS!

2024 LOGIN/Posting ISSUES
Click if you have a problem.
Show

If you cannot Debauch because you get an IP blacklist error, try Debauching again time. It may work immediately, it may take a few attempts. It will work eventually, I don't think I had to click debauch more than three times. Someone is overzealous at our hosting company, but only on the first couple of attempts.

If you have problems logging in, posting, or doing anything else, please get in touch.
You know the email (if you don't, see in the registration info below), you know where to find the Administerrerrerr on the Midget Circus.

Some unpleasant miscreant was firing incessant database queries at our server, which forced the Legal Department of our hosting company, via their Abuse subdivision, to shut us down. No I have none.
All I can do it button the hatches, and tighten up a few things. Such as time limits on how long you may take to compose a post and hit Debauch! As of 24/01/10, I've set that at 30 minutes for now.

To restrict further overloads, any unregistered users had to be locked out.
How do we know who is or isn't an unregistered user?
By forcing anyone who wants in to Log In.
Is that annoying?
Yes. But there's only so much the Administerrerrerr can do to keep this place running.

Again, if you have any problems: get in touch.

REGISTRATION! NEW USERS!
Registration Information
Show
Automatic registration is disabled for security reasons.
But fear not!
You can register!

Option the First:
Please drop our fearless Administerrerrerr a line.
Tell him who you are, that you wish to join, and what you wish your username to be. The Administerrerrerr will get back to you. If you're human, and you're not a damn spammer, expect a reply within 24 hoursish. Usually quicker, rarely slower.

Unfortunately, the Contact Form is being a total primadonna right now, so please send an email to the obvious address.
Posting this address in clear text is just the "on" switch for spambots, but here is a hint.

Option the Second:
Find us on Facebook, in the magnificent
Umah Thurman Midget Circus
Join up there, or just drop the modmins a message. They will pass any request on to the Administerrerrerr for this place.

The Interview

A forum for the off topic stuff. Everything from religion to philosophy to sex to humor (see why it used to be called Buggery?). All manner of rude psychological abuse is welcome and encouraged.
Rench
the Harm in Harmony

The Interview

Post by Rench » Thu Dec 18, 2014 7:26 pm

So I'm not sure if this is more Headline News or Politics, but it sure as shit ain't motorcycles so I'll drop it here. :mrgreen:

I, for one, was not going to pay theater costs for a Rogen/Franco stoner flick. They're usually, in my opinion, good for a chuckle or two and that's about it. Best enjoyed with your preferred mind altering substance at least.

BUT, I am whole-heartedly offended that they're pulling the movie over an email hack and a bunch of threats. Some weird hard to iterate collision of the 1st Ammendment and negotiating with terrorists. Doubly so that it's becoming increasingly obvious that it was a state-sponsored hack with overt threats from North Korea. TRIPLY so that they made 9/11 references. Something about chivalry and gentlemenly warfare. You don't invoke the specter of a terrorist attack, and you identify yourself with the intentional, flagrant killing of innocent civilians when you do!!

And WORSE, now I REALLY want to see this movie, which may not be available for years!!!!! :cry:

Wouldn't it be a hoot if this was all some huge marketing scheme? Fake hack, fake emails, etc? I doubt it, but if it was, they just won, cause EVERYONE wants to see it now.

Complete side note now that I'm finally thinking about this whole thing: how fucking petty of North Korea? I mean, just a stupid thing to tip your hand over. That's some pretty serious hacking power they just showed, and over a stoner comedy with mediocre reviews?

-Rench

"I'm not a schemer..."

"Do you know why it's illegal to put gasoline in a glass container?" - Piccinni

Bigshankhank
Fully Autonomous Cock-Puncher

Re: The Interview

Post by Bigshankhank » Thu Dec 18, 2014 7:35 pm

Something tells me that Mr Rogen or Mr Franco will "accidentally" leak this film into youtube, so everyone can fucking watch it. So fucking stupid. Apparently some theaters here in Texas are going to show Team America:World Police in place of showing this film.
It's time for Humankind to ditch the imaginary friends of our species' childhood and grow the fuck up.
-Davros

"Lasse mich deine Seele dem Herrscher der Finsternis opfern"

Let me sacrifice your soul to the ruler of darkness

Always carry a bottle of whiskey when you travel in case of a snakebite. Futhermore, always carry a small snake.

calamari kid
Ayatollah of Mayhem

Post by calamari kid » Thu Dec 18, 2014 10:25 pm

The Alamo Drafthouse was going to show Team America in it's place until Paramount forbade them from doing so. The movie industry apparently has jello instead of a backbone.
"Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon." -Honda manual circa 1962

"Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba...." -Hunter S Thompson

"A psychotic is a guy who's just found out what's going on." -William S. Burroughs

DerGolgo
Zaphod's Zeitgeist

Post by DerGolgo » Fri Dec 19, 2014 2:09 am

If this was just a marketing ploy, describing the execution in any way but sublime and flawless would be utterly missing the point. Indeed, marketing galore.
However, if that was so, I'd have expected the North Koreans to issue some severe denials. I don't think they'd let Sony play with them for marketing purposes like that.

I doubt it'd get put on youtube, google would yank it in an instant, a hack-attack on youtube would be economically disadvantageous.
However, there are dozens, if not hundreds, of video streaming sites, in countries all over the world, where you can (at this very moment) watch all them pirated movies as it is. Hacking all of them to pieces, that'd be a bit of an effort. Diffuse target, heads regrowing whenever you chop one of and so forth. If Sony hasn't faked this to begin with, they might enjoy the opportunity to get rid of illicit video streaming sites by surreptitiously putting the film out through there, complaining publicly about copyrights and whatnot and sitting back while North Korean hackers try and take these sites offline.

However, the negotiating-with-terrorists comparison, I don't think it so directly applies here.
This is not a nation state, on behalf of it's citizens, caving in to terrorist demands. It's a publicly traded company caving in to a nation state on behalf of it's shareholders. In a situation where that nation state has no legal standing and uses criminal means, truly, but still. This is the 21st century. Communications and commerce move too quickly for laws to even apply, let alone keep up.

I'm not sure whether to be surprised at the North Korean's pettiness.
How would the supreme Soviet of the USSR have reacted in 1980 at a movie not about assassinating a fictional Soviet rules, but the real Mr. Brezhnev?
Back then, movies didn't explode onto the world stage in the way they do today, foreign markets would receive even major motion pictures only after some months, and dubbed and so forth. Some movies would never reach certain markets as the local distributors weren't interested, or government censors objects, what have you.
While a movie that did get out could have much larger impact than today, simply because there was less stuff going on, individual movies were just less likely to reach as many people as quickly as today, and certainly wouldn't remain available basically to all and forever once they were out. Even VHS couldn't do that once it came around.
If there were absolutely anything to be afraid of, don't you think I would have worn pants?

I said I have a big stick.

MoraleHazard
Vatican Sex Kitten

Post by MoraleHazard » Fri Dec 19, 2014 7:09 am

In 1940, before the USA entered WWII, the first edition of Captain America had the good captain punching Herr Hitler in the face. So, it's not without precedent.
666(k) Retirement Plan of the Beast. Only offered by Dis Annuities.

'91 EX500 (sold)
'04 R1150R

It's like getting bitten by a radioactive horse and instead of getting a really large cock you turn into a brony.

calamari kid
Ayatollah of Mayhem

Post by calamari kid » Fri Dec 19, 2014 7:43 am

I doubt it'd get put on youtube, google would yank it in an instant, a hack-attack on youtube would be economically disadvantageous.
I doubt youtube is worried about these guys. The hack, in a technical sense, was pretty mickey mouse. The main components they used are available for purchase on black market sites, and the coding they did do to string it all together was unsophisticated and amateurish. What's really notable is the epically shitty network security at Sony. My seventh grade nephew has my sisters home network more locked down than they were. Personally I'm still skeptical regarding NK involvement. I wouldn't be shocked to find out the threats against theaters are just a red herring.
"Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon." -Honda manual circa 1962

"Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba...." -Hunter S Thompson

"A psychotic is a guy who's just found out what's going on." -William S. Burroughs

Bo_9
Ayatollah of Mayhem
Location: Filthy little worn-out, broken down, see through soul.

Post by Bo_9 » Fri Dec 19, 2014 8:02 am

Lot's of buzz in stuff I've read are making N.Korea out to be the patsy for an insider/group of insiders that is/are trying to burn Sony down for revenge. The bits of code and passwords they used were rather specific so if it was fully an outside attack they had been watching and learning for a very long time. Simpler answer is it was done by someone who already has access.
When an old man dies a library burns...

"Every accident involving machinery begins with a single defect. Never forget that defect can be between your ears." - E.J. Potter
"I feel like I'm in "my little pony" HELL!!!!" -Goose
"Well, he never ever smiled, but he always seemed pleased."
"keep about your wits, Know yourself and who you came in with"

Pattio
Centrifugal Savant of Two Wheel Transportation

Post by Pattio » Fri Dec 19, 2014 9:43 am

I saw an obnoxious comment on FB about why Sony had to pull the movie everywhere, because 'ever heard of something called liability', where the idea is that someone could sue Sony if they went to see the movie and got killed by terrorists while doing so. The idea being that death by terror is pretty bad, but lawsuits, man, lawsuits.

I had no interest in seeing this movie, really still don't, but I think it really stinks for Sony to withdraw it from everywhere. Now all you need to be a highly successful terrorist is to pull off a computer breach and threaten violence and you get big results. With apologies for flippancy, terrorists should have to prove some real violence capability before they get what they want. But that's how it works, isn't it- the act of terror itself isn't the thing, its the way we (collective we of the US in general) tie ourselves up in knots that is the real payoff.
-Pattio-

DerGolgo
Zaphod's Zeitgeist

Post by DerGolgo » Fri Dec 19, 2014 10:47 am

The point of terrorism is to instill terror, not to destroy a target, yeah.
But the liability argument holds a bit of water. Apart from getting sued, Sony would be liable to loose investor confidence if a terrorist atrocity against a movie theater showing their product occurred. Sony is a for-profit company, ethics don't play in there, much.

Here's a suggestion. A law should be established.
If terrorist threats lead to a movie not being released, or being withdrawn or whatnot, any copyright for that movie is instantly void. So the first person who got their hand on a screener DVD (or BD or whatnot) can, with no fear of repercussion, distribute through illicit channels. This would deter studios from caving in to terrorists, it would deter terrorists to provide free advertising for what will soon be a free movie everyone can download legally and free.
If there were absolutely anything to be afraid of, don't you think I would have worn pants?

MATPOC
The Unreasonable Ukranian

Post by MATPOC » Thu Dec 25, 2014 8:43 am

Interview can be streamed for $5.99 on YouTube, watched it last night

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ed2kSuKqfz0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Jaeger
Baron von Scrapple

Post by Jaeger » Fri Dec 26, 2014 8:59 pm

MATPOC wrote:Interview can be streamed for $5.99 on YouTube, watched it last night

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ed2kSuKqfz0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Other than pissing in Cheesehead's eye, is it worth the $6 and the 2 hours of your (or my) life?

--Jaeger
Bigshankhank wrote:The world is a fucking wreck, but there is still sunshine in some places. Go outside and look for it.
<<NEUTIQUAM ERRO>>
2018 Indian Scout -- "Lilah"

2XSL
Maltov Rattlecan

Post by 2XSL » Sat Dec 27, 2014 1:22 pm

The government wants you to see this so you'll support the next scheduled war.
Supposedly the initial contacts regarding the security breach were purely monetary extortion and only later did this Nork/Interview angle come up.

There is a great article on this that makes the wonderful point that corporate interests easily fold at the slightest threat, and that it's a shame we're relying on foreign agents to do it for us.
http://jackbaruth.com/?p=2315" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
skip to the last three paragraphs if you're in a rush.

DerGolgo
Zaphod's Zeitgeist

Post by DerGolgo » Sat Dec 27, 2014 1:52 pm

I still maintain it's a deal between Sony and North Korea. Sony figures the movie won't make as much as it should, the North Koreans want to draw in investments, as they have on occasion in recent years, and Sony needs a cheap animation studio someplace. So NK actually does the deed, and when all has settled and Sony has made tons more on The Interview than they otherwise would, one of their subsidiaries will set up shop in Pyongyang.

MATPOC
The Unreasonable Ukranian

Post by MATPOC » Sat Dec 27, 2014 9:22 pm

Jaeger wrote:
MATPOC wrote:Interview can be streamed for $5.99 on YouTube, watched it last night

Other than pissing in Cheesehead's eye, is it worth the $6 and the 2 hours of your (or my) life?

--Jaeger
If you can get some good herb it may be better, other than that it's just meh...

motorpsycho67
Double-dip Diogenes

Post by motorpsycho67 » Tue Dec 30, 2014 7:59 pm

Had zero interest in this movie prior to this nonsense...... and still don't.
'75 Honda CB400F
'82 Kawalski GPz750
etc.

goose
Pâté de Foie Gras

Post by goose » Thu Jan 01, 2015 5:17 pm

Arguably, the controversey is based on an underwhelming movie that Sony paid the actors too much to do, and an overzealous, paranoid "government" with too much time on its hands. Easy for a government to have too much time on its hands when not distracted by the human rights of its populace or the idea of a better way of living.
Drink triples til you're seeing double, feeling single, and looking for trouble! -Johnny Nitro, RIP

"British bikes of that era are made of a special alloy known as Brittainium. It is the only metal known to be able to rust even when fully submerged in oil. It also corrodes microscopic passages through itself whenever it makes contact with any known gasketing material." - AZ Rider

Re: Husaberg Build: "I pictured it more like the heroin addicted ex that keeps turning up, the bleeding you dry, breaking your heart, and crushing your soul, but you keep taking her back because it's the most fun ride you've ever had..." Bo-9