PLEASE LOGIN TO SEE ANYTHING.
This measure is inconvenient, yes, but necessary at present.
Click below for more information.

EVERYTHING IS MARKED UNREAD!!
click her for the instant fix
Show
First fix:
  • open the menu at the top
  • hit New Posts to see what's actually new and browse the new stuff from there
  • go back to the Forum Index
  • open the menu at the top again
  • click Mark forums read
    this will zero the unread anything for you, so you can strive forth into the exciting world of the new cookie thing.

Because the board got shutdown again because of a load of database, I had to fettle with the settings again.
As part of that, the server no longer stores what topics you have or haven't read.
IT IS STILL RECORDED!
But now, that information lives in a delicious cookie, rather than the forum database.

Upside: this should reduce the load of database.
Downside: if you use multiple devices to access the board, or you reject delicious cookies, you won't always have that information cookie. But the New Posts feature should take care of that.

PLEASE NOTIFY THE ADMINISTERRERRERR ABOUT ANY PROBLEMS!

2024 LOGIN/Posting ISSUES
Click if you have a problem.
Show

If you cannot Debauch because you get an IP blacklist error, try Debauching again time. It may work immediately, it may take a few attempts. It will work eventually, I don't think I had to click debauch more than three times. Someone is overzealous at our hosting company, but only on the first couple of attempts.

If you have problems logging in, posting, or doing anything else, please get in touch.
You know the email (if you don't, see in the registration info below), you know where to find the Administerrerrerr on the Midget Circus.

Some unpleasant miscreant was firing incessant database queries at our server, which forced the Legal Department of our hosting company, via their Abuse subdivision, to shut us down. No I have none.
All I can do it button the hatches, and tighten up a few things. Such as time limits on how long you may take to compose a post and hit Debauch! As of 24/01/10, I've set that at 30 minutes for now.

To restrict further overloads, any unregistered users had to be locked out.
How do we know who is or isn't an unregistered user?
By forcing anyone who wants in to Log In.
Is that annoying?
Yes. But there's only so much the Administerrerrerr can do to keep this place running.

Again, if you have any problems: get in touch.

REGISTRATION! NEW USERS!
Registration Information
Show
Automatic registration is disabled for security reasons.
But fear not!
You can register!

Option the First:
Please drop our fearless Administerrerrerr a line.
Tell him who you are, that you wish to join, and what you wish your username to be. The Administerrerrerr will get back to you. If you're human, and you're not a damn spammer, expect a reply within 24 hoursish. Usually quicker, rarely slower.

Unfortunately, the Contact Form is being a total primadonna right now, so please send an email to the obvious address.
Posting this address in clear text is just the "on" switch for spambots, but here is a hint.

Option the Second:
Find us on Facebook, in the magnificent
Umah Thurman Midget Circus
Join up there, or just drop the modmins a message. They will pass any request on to the Administerrerrerr for this place.

american startes recepies ?

A forum for the off topic stuff. Everything from religion to philosophy to sex to humor (see why it used to be called Buggery?). All manner of rude psychological abuse is welcome and encouraged.
xtian
Le coureur de lames chasse Tinti...

american startes recepies ?

Post by xtian » Tue Jul 21, 2015 9:10 am

So we have these friends that we see every month or so and it gradually turned into some sort of food contest between us. as in tv shows.
For our next meal I was thinking about hamburgers, with home made fries, as they are a local specialty and I sort of can deal with it, but I'm struggling to find a good starter course that would be in the theme.
salads ? any suggestions ? as for finger food ?
We usually cut the supper in finger food, a cold (or hot but it's summer here too) starter, a big fat main course that would be hamburgers in bacon with fries and cheddar, and then desert.
and lots and lots of wine. they are bikers.
thank you for your suggestions.
crawfish ?

I'm not really from around here.

0l4fderstout
Maltov Rattlecan

Re: american startes recepies ?

Post by 0l4fderstout » Tue Jul 21, 2015 9:45 am

Wine? Bikers? hm. (Actually we do a little wine...) Generally you cant go wrong with fresh fruit and cheese to whet folk's appetites.

guitargeek
Master Metric Necromancer

Post by guitargeek » Tue Jul 21, 2015 10:42 am

Fried pickle slices.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/food ... ecipe.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Elitist, arrogant, intolerant, self-absorbed.
Midliferider wrote:Wish I could wipe this shit off my shoes but it's everywhere I walk. Dang.
Pattio wrote:Never forget, as you enjoy the high road of tolerance, that it is those of us doing the hard work of intolerance who make it possible for you to shine.
xtian wrote:Sticking feathers up your butt does not make you a chicken

Bigshankhank
Fully Autonomous Cock-Puncher

Post by Bigshankhank » Tue Jul 21, 2015 10:55 am

Could you even get crawfish over there? Anything you'd get from the states right now would be frozen garbage, they are primarily a seasonal food (spring, specifically).
Try grinding some jalapenos and mixing them in with the ground beef (before cooking, obviously) for your burgers. Maybe even a little bit of shredded cheese, something more interesting than plain old cheddar. As for sides, I cannot hlep you, I would be happy to just chow down on some burgers and a few drinks.
It's time for Humankind to ditch the imaginary friends of our species' childhood and grow the fuck up.
-Davros

"Lasse mich deine Seele dem Herrscher der Finsternis opfern"

Let me sacrifice your soul to the ruler of darkness

Always carry a bottle of whiskey when you travel in case of a snakebite. Futhermore, always carry a small snake.

xtian

Post by xtian » Tue Jul 21, 2015 1:15 pm

we have rivers, we have crawfish or equivalent, crayfish according to wikipedia, access to most of the ingredients really. it's more the cultural recipes I'm looking for. or else I'll just build some fig and italian ham salad from jamie oliver's cook book.

guitargeek

Post by guitargeek » Tue Jul 21, 2015 1:53 pm

That sounds real good, but not very Great American. If you're looking for authentic Americana, like Route 66, doo wop, malt shop, poodle skirts & bobby socks, you don't want to make it too fancy.

Consider the menu from Sonic Drive-In... that's where I originally had fried pickles, and where Der Golgo discovered the sinful joy of a blended root beer float and chili cheese tater tots.

Personally, my favorite burger IN THE WORLD is the green chili cheeseburger from the Mean Woman Grill in Lubbock, TX. After that would probably be Five Guys Burgers & Fries, then Hamburger King in nearby Shawnee, OK.
Midliferider wrote:Wish I could wipe this shit off my shoes but it's everywhere I walk. Dang.
Pattio wrote:Never forget, as you enjoy the high road of tolerance, that it is those of us doing the hard work of intolerance who make it possible for you to shine.

Pintgudge
The Big Oooola

Post by Pintgudge » Tue Jul 21, 2015 3:46 pm

Here are two for you.

I love a good chili cheese dog!

Use a nice whole wheat bun, and cut a wedge out of it so you can grill it with out it splitting in half. Just to toast it a little.

Use a nice polska kielbasa, or whatever your favorite grilling dog is. I like to slice 1/16th inch deep slices all over the surface so the fat drips out and the inner part of the sausage gets a little toasted too.

Heat up your favorite can of chili con carne, but add a 1/4 cup of nice red salsa, and a touch of hot sauce, just to make it seem homemade.

Toast bun, grill dog, put dog on bun and chili over dog, and top off with thickly grated cheddar cheese.

Yum!

This one is Italian, but it is easy and delicious. Capresi salad.

Slice tomatoes. lay on plate. Cover with fresh basil sliced 1/4 inch thick. Cover with sliced fresh mozzarella. Drizzle olive oil over. Sprinkle salt to taste.

That's it! Yummylicious!!!
If man is fit to be governed, is any man fit to govern?

These are the days of miracles and wonder!

'81 Goldwing Standard w/'61 Ural Sidecar

'06 Bajaj Chetak

rolly
Tim Horton hears a Who?

Post by rolly » Tue Jul 21, 2015 4:54 pm

Nachos man, nachos.

calamari kid
Ayatollah of Mayhem

Post by calamari kid » Tue Jul 21, 2015 5:51 pm

Potato salad and baked beans are pretty traditional cookout fare. The wife does up a great watermelon salad with, red onions, mint leaves, balsalmic or red wine vinegar, and feta, which we're making for the family reunion this year. I can get you the proportions and any special prep instructions if you'd like.
"Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon." -Honda manual circa 1962

"Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba...." -Hunter S Thompson

"A psychotic is a guy who's just found out what's going on." -William S. Burroughs

Jaeger
Baron von Scrapple

Post by Jaeger » Tue Jul 21, 2015 9:17 pm

Mustardseed (Mrs. Jaeger) has been compiling recipes of late. Check this out:

http://www.millefiori.net/mishka/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I also need to get you my Nana's recipe for "corn pone."

Of course there's this thing called "scrapple." I'm sure you've heard the reference before. Auf Deutch it's "ponhaus." As the locals say, "they use everything but the oink."

Research "Maryland Soft Crabs."
Spoiler
Show
Amusing story:

I went to private school as a kid. I was not from the "correct" neighborhood. My family was not rich enough.

My family is from the Eastern Shore (of the Chesapeake Bay) for a long time (even by European standards).

The basic idea of a soft-shell crab is this: Get them while they're molting and eat them. The whole thing.

My mother would send me to school with sandwiches that basically looked like that. Mine weren't so pretty, but you get the idea.

Yes, the legs stuck out the sides. Yes, they looked like gigantic spiders. Yes, I fucking love them because they're DELICIOUS.

Yes, the uptight kids at my snooty private school thought I was odd. Ooh, shocker.

It did decrease the number of times my lunch was stolen, though. :)

Also, Maryland Crabcakes. (DG will vouch for the latter.)

--Jaeger
Last edited by Jaeger on Wed Jul 22, 2015 10:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bigshankhank wrote:The world is a fucking wreck, but there is still sunshine in some places. Go outside and look for it.
<<NEUTIQUAM ERRO>>
2018 Indian Scout -- "Lilah"

xtian

Post by xtian » Tue Jul 21, 2015 11:22 pm

thanks for the input. nachos, definitely, salads with mint and watermelon, good idea, I'll explore the recipes from Mishka. The crabs, I'm not sure I am ready, veggie girlfriend will probably not survive.

motorpsycho67
Double-dip Diogenes

Post by motorpsycho67 » Wed Jul 22, 2015 12:46 am

xtian wrote:....... and then, desert.

:shock:

Dunt dunt duuuuuuuuu....!
'75 Honda CB400F
'82 Kawalski GPz750
etc.

xtian

Post by xtian » Wed Jul 22, 2015 3:16 am

oh hey, look at that, I made a typo.

Rench
the Harm in Harmony

Post by Rench » Wed Jul 22, 2015 5:53 am

I'm gonna go big +1 for the fried pickles. Also onion rings with a ranch sauce for dipping.

My personal favorite starter at family get togethers is chips and dip. If you can get Fritos Scoops, they hold a LOT of dip. Then get a tub of sour cream, and mix in a packet of powdered onion soup mix. Salty, but damn good.

-Rench
"I'm not a schemer..."

"Do you know why it's illegal to put gasoline in a glass container?" - Piccinni

Toonce(s)
Asshat Spambot

Post by Toonce(s) » Wed Jul 22, 2015 9:28 am

Oh my. Love the psychological challenge of the soft shell crab sandwich. Take the exact same thing and chop it into a crab cake and nobody would think twice about it, but that arachnidal presentation... put a smile on my face.
It's a stack of fuck-shit on top of itself, Ninja.

Bo_9
Ayatollah of Mayhem
Location: Filthy little worn-out, broken down, see through soul.

Post by Bo_9 » Wed Jul 22, 2015 10:00 am

Toonce(s) wrote:Oh my. Love the psychological challenge of the soft shell crab sandwich. Take the exact same thing and chop it into a crab cake and nobody would think twice about it, but that arachnidal presentation... put a smile on my face.
We confronted both of my kids with that exact thing last time we were on the coast. They devoured it... :D
When an old man dies a library burns...

"Every accident involving machinery begins with a single defect. Never forget that defect can be between your ears." - E.J. Potter
"I feel like I'm in "my little pony" HELL!!!!" -Goose
"Well, he never ever smiled, but he always seemed pleased."
"keep about your wits, Know yourself and who you came in with"

Zim
Ayatollah of Mayhem

Post by Zim » Wed Jul 22, 2015 2:41 pm

That arachnidal presentation... made me lose my appetite.
"Every time I start thinking the world is all bad, then I start seeing some people having a good time on motorcycles... it makes me take another look." --Steve McQueen

jae
Magnum Jihad

Post by jae » Thu Jul 23, 2015 4:49 am

Told my 6 year old about it. He doesn't like shell fish in general but was excited about the prospect of getting to eat a sandwich that looked like it was made out of a giant spider.
There, I said it.
http://instagram.com/norrisjc
http://youtube.com/kacivic

Dying old and healthy from boredom is not an achievement.

Jaeger
Baron von Scrapple

Post by Jaeger » Thu Jul 23, 2015 10:47 am

jae wrote:Told my 6 year old about it. He doesn't like shell fish in general but was excited about the prospect of getting to eat a sandwich that looked like it was made out of a giant spider.
I'm tellin' ya, they really are delicious. :mrgreen:

--Jaeger
Bigshankhank wrote:The world is a fucking wreck, but there is still sunshine in some places. Go outside and look for it.
<<NEUTIQUAM ERRO>>
2018 Indian Scout -- "Lilah"

xtian

Post by xtian » Sat Jul 25, 2015 1:32 pm

so, I couldn't find relish to make a real big mac sauce so I kind of improvised something on he same basis and used it at different stages with different combinations.
as finger food, we had pretzels, watermelon on a stick wrapped in pancetta ham, dorittos with guacamole or relish/ based pepperoni salsa, and fruity sangria.
stater were onion rings and fried pickles with another relish/horseradish sauce, salad made of watermelon, black olives, flat parsley, feta cheese and mint leaves with balsamic vinegar.
To be honest, fried pickles sounded like nothing we could enjoy but turned out pretty good, maybe I choose pickles that tasted too much like vinegar, I didn't know which one to take so I took the "traditional recipe", I just feared that oil would be too cold on our electric furnace so it turned out too hot and the onions were too crusty on the outside but not quite cooked on the inside. live and learn.
Then massive burgers of pure beef meat wrapped in bacon, salad, onion, pickles, cheddar cheese and big mac like relish based sauce. 300gr in massive buns was clearly too much at this stage so leftovers were left over. lots of home made typical Belgian fries.
Cheese cake was crap, too flat and acid, but everybody pretended it was ok as hard as everybody pretended to be surprised when they said their son had made his coming out, 2 and a half bottle of red, one bottle of white and one bottle of rose wine later.
thank you for your input.
Next time I think i'll try something vaguely italian, marinated fish, anchovies, antipastos, pastas and calf and sage rolls.

rolly
Tim Horton hears a Who?

Post by rolly » Sat Jul 25, 2015 2:32 pm

Sounds better than the real thing

guitargeek

Post by guitargeek » Sat Jul 25, 2015 7:25 pm

I recommend you come back to this one often, until you perfect it.

Also... McDonald's special sauce? Really? Does McDonald's enjoy a different reputation over there? When I think "good hamburgers", Mickey D's is about the *last* place that comes to mind!

xtian

Post by xtian » Sat Jul 25, 2015 10:04 pm

guitargeek wrote:I recommend you come back to this one often, until you perfect it.

Also... McDonald's special sauce? Really? Does McDonald's enjoy a different reputation over there? When I think "good hamburgers", Mickey D's is about the *last* place that comes to mind!
Not really (tho i think ingredients are different from one continent to another) but I just didn't want to go with plain ketchup or one of the dozen of aromatic mayonnaises that we have here (http://dl.be/fr/product_category/sauces/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;), so mc donald "secret ingredient" seemed like a good starting point for some personal improvisation.
[media]https://youtu.be/rcu4Bj3xEyI[/media]

calamari kid
Ayatollah of Mayhem

Post by calamari kid » Mon Jul 27, 2015 5:37 pm

Sounds like a good spread. We just got home from the reunion feast weekend where I had four different types of baked beans, a wide variety of bbq/smoked meatstuff, and more berry crisp/pie/cobbler varieties than I could count. I don't plan on eating again until some time in September.
"Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon." -Honda manual circa 1962

"Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba...." -Hunter S Thompson

"A psychotic is a guy who's just found out what's going on." -William S. Burroughs