PLEASE LOGIN TO SEE ANYTHING.
This measure is inconvenient, yes, but necessary at present.
Click below for more information.

EVERYTHING IS MARKED UNREAD!!
click her for the instant fix
Show
First fix:
  • open the menu at the top
  • hit New Posts to see what's actually new and browse the new stuff from there
  • go back to the Forum Index
  • open the menu at the top again
  • click Mark forums read
    this will zero the unread anything for you, so you can strive forth into the exciting world of the new cookie thing.

Because the board got shutdown again because of a load of database, I had to fettle with the settings again.
As part of that, the server no longer stores what topics you have or haven't read.
IT IS STILL RECORDED!
But now, that information lives in a delicious cookie, rather than the forum database.

Upside: this should reduce the load of database.
Downside: if you use multiple devices to access the board, or you reject delicious cookies, you won't always have that information cookie. But the New Posts feature should take care of that.

PLEASE NOTIFY THE ADMINISTERRERRERR ABOUT ANY PROBLEMS!

2024 LOGIN/Posting ISSUES
Click if you have a problem.
Show

If you cannot Debauch because you get an IP blacklist error, try Debauching again time. It may work immediately, it may take a few attempts. It will work eventually, I don't think I had to click debauch more than three times. Someone is overzealous at our hosting company, but only on the first couple of attempts.

If you have problems logging in, posting, or doing anything else, please get in touch.
You know the email (if you don't, see in the registration info below), you know where to find the Administerrerrerr on the Midget Circus.

Some unpleasant miscreant was firing incessant database queries at our server, which forced the Legal Department of our hosting company, via their Abuse subdivision, to shut us down. No I have none.
All I can do it button the hatches, and tighten up a few things. Such as time limits on how long you may take to compose a post and hit Debauch! As of 24/01/10, I've set that at 30 minutes for now.

To restrict further overloads, any unregistered users had to be locked out.
How do we know who is or isn't an unregistered user?
By forcing anyone who wants in to Log In.
Is that annoying?
Yes. But there's only so much the Administerrerrerr can do to keep this place running.

Again, if you have any problems: get in touch.

REGISTRATION! NEW USERS!
Registration Information
Show
Automatic registration is disabled for security reasons.
But fear not!
You can register!

Option the First:
Please drop our fearless Administerrerrerr a line.
Tell him who you are, that you wish to join, and what you wish your username to be. The Administerrerrerr will get back to you. If you're human, and you're not a damn spammer, expect a reply within 24 hoursish. Usually quicker, rarely slower.

Unfortunately, the Contact Form is being a total primadonna right now, so please send an email to the obvious address.
Posting this address in clear text is just the "on" switch for spambots, but here is a hint.

Option the Second:
Find us on Facebook, in the magnificent
Umah Thurman Midget Circus
Join up there, or just drop the modmins a message. They will pass any request on to the Administerrerrerr for this place.

Baked goods.

A forum for the off topic stuff. Everything from religion to philosophy to sex to humor (see why it used to be called Buggery?). All manner of rude psychological abuse is welcome and encouraged.
DerGolgo
Zaphod's Zeitgeist

Baked goods.

Post by DerGolgo » Sat Aug 22, 2015 10:02 am

I just threw this up on Facebook, but shall do so here, also.
After all I had given my word as a gentleman, to a lady no less, that I'd "tell the Americans". And I suspect there may still be one or two here who do not frequent the Zuckerberg's terrible lair.
So I must.
I wrote:My dear American friends,

I was asked to tell you something.
Our tale begins with a young man of Persian extraction, not long in Germany and not entirely familiar with out language at that point. As these things happen, he broke the inner-tube of one of the tires on his bicycle. He needed a new one but, as yet not quite familiar with the language, he showed the broken tube to a friend and asked what it's called.
Un-empathic yet ever precise, as we Germans are, he informed the young man it's called "Gummi".
So, the young Persian man walked into a store and asked the lady cashier for a Gummi. Seeing the minuscule item she then produced, he was perplexed. This had to be the wrong size!
He was informed that, in fact, one size fits all.
For the colloquial "Gummi" will not just translate quite correctly to "Rubber" in the English, we Germans use the term in the same way the Americans do to the eternal consternation of any of her Majesty's subjects who need to fix a mistake made by pencil.
It was this confounding difference in nomenclature that had prompted a very charming British lady to regale me with the story of our hapless Persian.
Standing in two different grocery stores in two different towns, I had been introduced to her on the phone and we came to talk about the American national ethos.
Particularly, that your nation is apparently build on "Mom and apple-pie and all that". Or something of that nature.
The charming lady asked me to tell you ("the Americans...") that, no, your nation is NOT built on apple pie.
It's apple CAKE.
It's sweet, not savory. Pies have things like beans, mushrooms, steak and kidney or minced beef in them. Pies are savory.
The sweet stuff is cake.
She was very particular about that, and that you Americans needed to be told. Apple cake, not apple pie.
It may be round, like pie, but it is cake, she was sure.

As it is, before anyone devolves into a debate about authority in definition, about American superficiality vs. old-world obsessions with substance, or about old-world authoritarianism expressed through such substance talk vs. American honest egalitarianism taking things at face value, before this inevitable debate erupts, be assured:
I'm only passing this along. I don't care. I like cake. I like pie. One is the main course, the other for desert. Can't we all just eat along?

If there were absolutely anything to be afraid of, don't you think I would have worn pants?

I said I have a big stick.

Pintgudge
The Big Oooola

Re: Baked goods.

Post by Pintgudge » Sat Aug 22, 2015 10:49 am

See, our menu has always been sorely lacking in savory meat pies.

We are offered little chicken pot pies or beef pot pies. Buy them frozen and bake and serve. They're alright, but the concept could go so much further than that, and I guess in Europe, it does.

Thinking about it makes me salivate.
If man is fit to be governed, is any man fit to govern?

These are the days of miracles and wonder!

'81 Goldwing Standard w/'61 Ural Sidecar

'06 Bajaj Chetak

rolly
Tim Horton hears a Who?

Post by rolly » Sat Aug 22, 2015 12:02 pm

A british lady said this? That's weird, because in England an apple pie is called apple pie.

DerGolgo
Zaphod's Zeitgeist

Post by DerGolgo » Sat Aug 22, 2015 12:20 pm

rolly wrote:A british lady said this? That's weird, because in England an apple pie is called apple pie.
I was reasonably certain I recalled it like that, also.
Perhaps she has been in Germany for too long and has caught our precision bug.
But based on the rest of the conversation, it did sound like she generally blamed the application of pie to this item on "you Americans", she was quite unwavering in that regard. Perhaps, she assigns the blame for the British use of that term on 'mericans, also ...
What do you Canadians call it?
BTW, I went past the train station today, and a new eatery has opened up there ... apparently their specialties are various varieties of what they describe as "poutine" ... didn't see any cheese or gravy, though, really just some kind of meat and veg on a bed of french-fries ... is it poutine with neither gravy nor cheese? Is it pie with no meat or veg, just fruit?
Pintgudge wrote: They're alright, but the concept could go so much further than that, and I guess in Europe, it does.
Not as far as one might wish, actually ... if I want a real Brit style pie, and can't make one myself (yep, that's me, utter kitchen spazz), my only option is mail-ordering the tinned Fray Bentos variety. Which isn't nearly as appetizing as even Tesco's deep-freezer pie ...
We do have a few things with meat in a yeast dough, not unlike shepherd's pie, but those are rare.
However, we have a HUGE Turkish community.
They have Börek.
Which is puff-pastry, nice and oily and all, filled with all sort of loveliness ... cheese and spinach, or ground beef ... there's that one bit of Turkey that's west of the Bosporus, so I guess you can technically count it as European ... the fillings are just the variations you can get at any individual Turkish diner. There are differences based on shape, exact mode of preparation, some of them differ from one to another region of Turkey.

If there were absolutely anything to be afraid of, don't you think I would have worn pants?

Mk3
Captain Sensible, Space Command.
Location: The people's republic of Illinois Welcome comrade, join the party!

Post by Mk3 » Sat Aug 22, 2015 2:11 pm

Anyone who can win a war on their own is welcome to return to their own linguistic traditions.
"...when someone asks you if you're a god, you say "YES "!

"UTMC, it's an international disorganization of racers, aficionados, mechanics, lunatics, and scumbags. It's like an online motorcycle Mos Eisley."

12ci
Ayatollah of Mayhem

Post by 12ci » Sat Aug 22, 2015 7:52 pm

cake (kāk)
n. A sweet baked food made of flour, liquid, eggs, and other ingredients, such as raising agents and flavorings.

from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
like this:

pie (pī)

n. A baked food composed of a pastry shell filled with fruit, meat, cheese, or other ingredients, and usually covered with a pastry crust.

from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
like this
sweet (fruit):

savory (meat):
today you decide what tomorrow will bring

12ci
Ayatollah of Mayhem

Post by 12ci » Sat Aug 22, 2015 7:56 pm

and now i'm hungry
today you decide what tomorrow will bring

goose
Pâté de Foie Gras

Post by goose » Mon Aug 24, 2015 6:46 am

In America, we like to have our cake and eat it too! Even if it's a pie. (Europeans, sheesh, if it has a crust, it's a pie, frosting is a cake!)
Drink triples til you're seeing double, feeling single, and looking for trouble! -Johnny Nitro, RIP

"British bikes of that era are made of a special alloy known as Brittainium. It is the only metal known to be able to rust even when fully submerged in oil. It also corrodes microscopic passages through itself whenever it makes contact with any known gasketing material." - AZ Rider

Re: Husaberg Build: "I pictured it more like the heroin addicted ex that keeps turning up, the bleeding you dry, breaking your heart, and crushing your soul, but you keep taking her back because it's the most fun ride you've ever had..." Bo-9

DerGolgo
Zaphod's Zeitgeist

Post by DerGolgo » Mon Aug 24, 2015 7:16 am

goose wrote: (Europeans, sheesh, if it has a crust, it's a pie, frosting is a cake!)
Okay!
Now, here's a perfectly valid, reasonably, comprehensible and adequately concise definition of pie or cake!
Trust the lawyer to work this out. :mrgreen:

red
Yap. Doomed for all eternity.

Post by red » Mon Aug 24, 2015 7:31 am

Don't forget these tasty bits from Jamaica!

Proud Survivor From Thread Hole 64 Campaign
1987 CBR600F Hurricane Sprawl Bike
-=High Tech / Low Life=-

Bigshankhank
Fully Autonomous Cock-Puncher

Post by Bigshankhank » Mon Aug 24, 2015 7:41 am

goose wrote:In America, we like to have our cake and eat it too! Even if it's a pie. (Europeans, sheesh, if it has a crust, it's a pie, frosting is a cake!)
Derp, what about cookie cake?

It's time for Humankind to ditch the imaginary friends of our species' childhood and grow the fuck up.
-Davros

"Lasse mich deine Seele dem Herrscher der Finsternis opfern"

Let me sacrifice your soul to the ruler of darkness

Always carry a bottle of whiskey when you travel in case of a snakebite. Futhermore, always carry a small snake.

red
Yap. Doomed for all eternity.

Post by red » Mon Aug 24, 2015 7:42 am

Ice cream cake?
Proud Survivor From Thread Hole 64 Campaign
1987 CBR600F Hurricane Sprawl Bike
-=High Tech / Low Life=-

goose
Pâté de Foie Gras

Post by goose » Mon Aug 24, 2015 1:18 pm

Bigshankhank wrote:
goose wrote:In America, we like to have our cake and eat it too! Even if it's a pie. (Europeans, sheesh, if it has a crust, it's a pie, frosting is a cake!)
Derp, what about cookie cake?

It's simply a cookie baked by some lazy ass mfer that didn't want to roll the dough up into balls and press. Not a pie, not a cake . . . . just a big f'n cookie!

See, even ice cream cakes have frosting. Yes, you can bake a cake that has no frosting, but that's just a big muffin. Definition of muffin, a cake without anything redeemable err frosting.
Drink triples til you're seeing double, feeling single, and looking for trouble! -Johnny Nitro, RIP

"British bikes of that era are made of a special alloy known as Brittainium. It is the only metal known to be able to rust even when fully submerged in oil. It also corrodes microscopic passages through itself whenever it makes contact with any known gasketing material." - AZ Rider

Re: Husaberg Build: "I pictured it more like the heroin addicted ex that keeps turning up, the bleeding you dry, breaking your heart, and crushing your soul, but you keep taking her back because it's the most fun ride you've ever had..." Bo-9

MoraleHazard
Vatican Sex Kitten

Post by MoraleHazard » Tue Aug 25, 2015 6:58 am

12ci wrote:and now i'm hungry
Yeah, same here.
666(k) Retirement Plan of the Beast. Only offered by Dis Annuities.

'91 EX500 (sold)
'04 R1150R

It's like getting bitten by a radioactive horse and instead of getting a really large cock you turn into a brony.

Bigshankhank

Post by Bigshankhank » Tue Aug 25, 2015 7:39 am

It's time for Humankind to ditch the imaginary friends of our species' childhood and grow the fuck up.
-Davros

Always carry a bottle of whiskey when you travel in case of a snakebite. Futhermore, always carry a small snake.

thack
Magnum Jihad

Post by thack » Tue Aug 25, 2015 8:35 am

cheesecake? it has crust and no frosting, and is therefore a pie. but it's a cake.

cookie cakes often have frosting or icing, but are not cakes. they are bar cookies that have not yet been cut up.

also, for the savory side: crawfish pie. mmmm.

ow, my head's all explody.

wyckedsin
Barista of Doom

Post by wyckedsin » Tue Aug 25, 2015 9:50 am

thack wrote:cheesecake? it has crust and no frosting, and is therefore a pie. but it's a cake.

cookie cakes often have frosting or icing, but are not cakes. they are bar cookies that have not yet been cut up.

also, for the savory side: crawfish pie. mmmm.

ow, my head's all explody.
Cheesecake is actually a "Custard Pie"

A "Cake" is a risen pastry generally light in nature, "Pie" is a filled pastry that is not of a risen nature. A "Brownie" is an unrisen "Cake". A "Quiche" is a savory "Custard Pie".

All Cakes and Pies are Pastries.
Sanity has left the building

Bigshankhank

Post by Bigshankhank » Wed Aug 26, 2015 5:34 am

Speaking with my wife the cake decorator;

A pie is finished BEFORE it is baked.
A cake is finished AFTER it is baked.
-Davros

Mk3
Captain Sensible, Space Command.
Location: The people's republic of Illinois Welcome comrade, join the party!

Post by Mk3 » Wed Aug 26, 2015 6:07 pm

I think at this juncture I shall collect my testicles and cease posting in this thread. good day gentlemen.
"...when someone asks you if you're a god, you say "YES "!

"UTMC, it's an international disorganization of racers, aficionados, mechanics, lunatics, and scumbags. It's like an online motorcycle Mos Eisley."

jae
Magnum Jihad

Post by jae » Thu Aug 27, 2015 5:19 am

I also find myself hungry after reading this thread.
There, I said it.
http://instagram.com/norrisjc
http://youtube.com/kacivic

Dying old and healthy from boredom is not an achievement.

Bigshankhank

Post by Bigshankhank » Thu Aug 27, 2015 8:43 am

Mk3 wrote:I think at this juncture I shall collect my testicles and cease posting in this thread. good day gentlemen.
Whaat? Dude, men make excellent bakers, no need to fear for your masculinity. Think about it, if the butcher, baker and candlestick maker weren't all dudes, that would be a much more interesting party instead of the sausage-fest everyone thinks about when they hear that verse.
-Davros

Beemer Dan
Dark Poohbah

Post by Beemer Dan » Sat Aug 29, 2015 10:34 pm

I'm thinking this whole thing can be illustrated in a Venn diagram. It could even be a dynamic one that accounts for geographic location and then it would be like a Babel fish stuck to your eye. I think the key here is that as long as you specify pie/cake/quiche/brownie/roll/calzone/canoli/sandwich/etc as savory or sweet, it's hard to be disappointed. I need to go raid the fridge now in search of satisfaction.

BTW, would a brownie be considered a luxurious chocolate matzoh?
They swore it was the correct one, but swearing doesn't make a sprocket fit where it doesn't want to. --WeAintFoundShit

thack
Magnum Jihad

Post by thack » Wed Sep 02, 2015 2:22 pm

Beemer Dan wrote:BTW, would a brownie be considered a luxurious chocolate matzoh?
don't think so. mine have leavening and take 45 minutes to bake.

now these might, on the other hand: