PLEASE LOGIN TO SEE ANYTHING.
This measure is inconvenient, yes, but necessary at present.
Click below for more information.

EVERYTHING IS MARKED UNREAD!!
click her for the instant fix
Show
First fix:
  • open the menu at the top
  • hit New Posts to see what's actually new and browse the new stuff from there
  • go back to the Forum Index
  • open the menu at the top again
  • click Mark forums read
    this will zero the unread anything for you, so you can strive forth into the exciting world of the new cookie thing.

Because the board got shutdown again because of a load of database, I had to fettle with the settings again.
As part of that, the server no longer stores what topics you have or haven't read.
IT IS STILL RECORDED!
But now, that information lives in a delicious cookie, rather than the forum database.

Upside: this should reduce the load of database.
Downside: if you use multiple devices to access the board, or you reject delicious cookies, you won't always have that information cookie. But the New Posts feature should take care of that.

PLEASE NOTIFY THE ADMINISTERRERRERR ABOUT ANY PROBLEMS!

2024 LOGIN/Posting ISSUES
Click if you have a problem.
Show

If you cannot Debauch because you get an IP blacklist error, try Debauching again time. It may work immediately, it may take a few attempts. It will work eventually, I don't think I had to click debauch more than three times. Someone is overzealous at our hosting company, but only on the first couple of attempts.

If you have problems logging in, posting, or doing anything else, please get in touch.
You know the email (if you don't, see in the registration info below), you know where to find the Administerrerrerr on the Midget Circus.

Some unpleasant miscreant was firing incessant database queries at our server, which forced the Legal Department of our hosting company, via their Abuse subdivision, to shut us down. No I have none.
All I can do it button the hatches, and tighten up a few things. Such as time limits on how long you may take to compose a post and hit Debauch! As of 24/01/10, I've set that at 30 minutes for now.

To restrict further overloads, any unregistered users had to be locked out.
How do we know who is or isn't an unregistered user?
By forcing anyone who wants in to Log In.
Is that annoying?
Yes. But there's only so much the Administerrerrerr can do to keep this place running.

Again, if you have any problems: get in touch.

REGISTRATION! NEW USERS!
Registration Information
Show
Automatic registration is disabled for security reasons.
But fear not!
You can register!

Option the First:
Please drop our fearless Administerrerrerr a line.
Tell him who you are, that you wish to join, and what you wish your username to be. The Administerrerrerr will get back to you. If you're human, and you're not a damn spammer, expect a reply within 24 hoursish. Usually quicker, rarely slower.

Unfortunately, the Contact Form is being a total primadonna right now, so please send an email to the obvious address.
Posting this address in clear text is just the "on" switch for spambots, but here is a hint.

Option the Second:
Find us on Facebook, in the magnificent
Umah Thurman Midget Circus
Join up there, or just drop the modmins a message. They will pass any request on to the Administerrerrerr for this place.

DSLR, I'm gonna buy, I think...

A forum for the off topic stuff. Everything from religion to philosophy to sex to humor (see why it used to be called Buggery?). All manner of rude psychological abuse is welcome and encouraged.
MATPOC
The Unreasonable Ukranian

DSLR, I'm gonna buy, I think...

Post by MATPOC » Fri Jan 15, 2016 9:41 pm

I've been wanting one for a while, but there is a sea of them out there, from $500 to more then my car is worth...

Why? because my cell phone isn't enough sometimes, I see things I can't capture and it drives me nuts, I like taking photos, been doing it since I was 9 or 10... back then I lusted over SLR but only had some crappy cameras less sophisticated then modern plastic disposable.

Came to US and bought used K1000 ( it was better than anything we had on domestic market, but then it broke :( )
Years later I got Minolta Dimage 5 (was a gift from mom and her boyfriend) 3.3 mp was the BALLS in 2001, took some amazing pics with it, but it ate batteries like crazy, focus was very slow... eventually I realized that my cell is more convenient and takes better pics 90% of the time, but I still have the itch...

After some research I narrowed it down to Nikon D5500, seems to have the highest native ISO in the entry sub $1K class at 25600, the rest of the specs are similar to lower class D5*00 and D3*00 models.

D5500 body only is 650-ish
with 18-55 lens $850-ish
and with 18-140 lens $1000 at most places for USA market camera with warranty

Anything cheaper is import no warranty model or used...

just the 18-140 lens is $500 and seems fully compatible for AF and image stabilization (VR)
I was reading some complaints that even though all Nikon lenses bolt on most are not compatible with "DX and VR" so rather than getting a body and camera separate I want to get it as a set so it will work as intended.

And this is where I am now, looking at $1000-ish for a camera that I really don't need, but it would be nice to have, it will make me VERY happy and it cost FAR FAR LES than what I have blown on Motorcycles just in the past year.

I'm no expert, so before I blow the wad and buy this thing you are welcome to talk me out of it or point out my mistakes

I want DSLR because I like the mirror idea and looking through the actual lens, I want good low light because I hate loosing low light resolution. Long lens is also something that I really want, rather than carry spare lenses like some people I know 18-140 seems best of both worlds, at east according to their own write up.

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Bigshankhank
Fully Autonomous Cock-Puncher

Re: DSLR, I'm gonna buy, I think...

Post by Bigshankhank » Sat Jan 16, 2016 3:58 am

Do it, I have taken photography classes and have realized I simply don't have the "eye" for good photography. Mind you the last time I took a proper class we still had to develop pictures in a darkroom, but my daughter has a high dollar rig (EOS something or other IIRC) we got her before she did Semester at Sea and she is great with it, but even with me carrying it around all day I just don't see pictures. Not worth it for me to spend high dosh on a good camera.
To whit, I am jealous of those such as yourself who see the world and can capture it.
It's time for Humankind to ditch the imaginary friends of our species' childhood and grow the fuck up.
-Davros

"Lasse mich deine Seele dem Herrscher der Finsternis opfern"

Let me sacrifice your soul to the ruler of darkness

Always carry a bottle of whiskey when you travel in case of a snakebite. Futhermore, always carry a small snake.

MATPOC

Post by MATPOC » Sat Jan 16, 2016 5:51 am

I'm no Dozer, but at least I can frame the shot, most times... started out in the dark room, actually first in a lit room out in the open, practicing with an old roll of film how to load it in that thing that you poor chemicals in to develop it... also used to have honest spy camera with 16mm film (or was it 8? can't recall now) my Grandpa got it and some film from a Mig's wing mounted camera, has to cut it to length and load it in the camera. it was flat, slide open, click shutter, close...
not sure what happened to it

Bo_9
Ayatollah of Mayhem
Location: Filthy little worn-out, broken down, see through soul.

Post by Bo_9 » Sat Jan 16, 2016 11:18 am

I bought a used D5000 from someone on the board a couple years ago. It's been a workhorse and my daughter at ten won awards for her shots with it at the local fair. It just had the kit lenses and for shooting the kids games and swim meets they do fine.
When an old man dies a library burns...

"Every accident involving machinery begins with a single defect. Never forget that defect can be between your ears." - E.J. Potter
"I feel like I'm in "my little pony" HELL!!!!" -Goose
"Well, he never ever smiled, but he always seemed pleased."
"keep about your wits, Know yourself and who you came in with"

MATPOC

Post by MATPOC » Wed Jan 20, 2016 12:49 pm

more research and some reading, now I'm backing down to D5300, has GPS, apparently same low light sensitivity and cost less... at least that's what I got from chatting with someone at Nikon.USA

Cons are shorter battery life, larger size and weight (not by much)
Pors: GPS, cost $150 less

Still looking around

Bigshankhank
Fully Autonomous Cock-Puncher

Post by Bigshankhank » Wed Jan 20, 2016 1:17 pm

I guess I am dumb, but why would you want GPS on your camera? Would the metadata be something that could be used to pinpoint the location of the shot should some nefarious gubmint agency want to know where you've been loitering?
It's time for Humankind to ditch the imaginary friends of our species' childhood and grow the fuck up.
-Davros

"Lasse mich deine Seele dem Herrscher der Finsternis opfern"

Let me sacrifice your soul to the ruler of darkness

Always carry a bottle of whiskey when you travel in case of a snakebite. Futhermore, always carry a small snake.

MATPOC

Post by MATPOC » Wed Jan 20, 2016 6:59 pm

Went to Hunt's, again, walked out with brand new D5300 with a cheap 18-55 lens and my plan is to buy prime 50mm FX which will actually be an equivalent of 75mm on DX sensor (all this new stuff I learned today!)

MATPOC

Post by MATPOC » Wed Jan 20, 2016 7:00 pm

Bigshankhank wrote:I guess I am dumb, but why would you want GPS on your camera? Would the metadata be something that could be used to pinpoint the location of the shot should some nefarious gubmint agency want to know where you've been loitering?
so 20 years from now it may remind me where the photo was taken

MATPOC

Post by MATPOC » Wed Jan 27, 2016 6:55 am

loving the camera, picked up a fast prime lens, so much more light gets through...

Is there a limit to file size uploads? can't attach the image

hope google link works

https://plus.google.com/photos/11621340 ... 0531267857" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;