PLEASE LOGIN TO SEE ANYTHING.
This measure is inconvenient, yes, but necessary at present.
Click below for more information.

2024 LOGIN/Posting ISSUES
Click if you have a problem.
Show

If you cannot Debauch because you get an IP blacklist error, try Debauching a second time. Someone is overzealous at our hosting company, but only on the first attempt.

If you have problems logging in, posting, or doing anything else, please get in touch.
You know the email (if you don't, see in the registration info below), you know where to find the Administerrerrerr on the Midget Circus.

Some unpleasant miscreant was firing incessant database queries at our server, which forced the Legal Department of our hosting company, via their Abuse subdivision, to shut us down. No I have none.
All I can do it button the hatches, and tighten up a few things. Such as time limits on how long you may take to compose a post and hit Debauch! As of 24/01/10, I've set that at 30 minutes for now.

To restrict further overloads, any unregistered users had to be locked out.
How do we know who is or isn't an unregistered user?
By forcing anyone who wants in to Log In.
Is that annoying?
Yes. But there's only so much the Administerrerrerr can do to keep this place running.

Again, if you have any problems: get in touch.

REGISTRATION! NEW USERS!
Registration Information
Show
Automatic registration is disabled for security reasons.
But fear not!
You can register!

Option the First:
Please drop our fearless Administerrerrerr a line.
Tell him who you are, that you wish to join, and what you wish your username to be. The Administerrerrerr will get back to you. If you're human, and you're not a damn spammer, expect a reply within 24 hoursish. Usually quicker, rarely slower.

Unfortunately, the Contact Form is being a total primadonna right now, so please send an email to the obvious address.
Posting this address in clear text is just the "on" switch for spambots, but here is a hint.

Option the Second:
Find us on Facebook, in the magnificent
Umah Thurman Midget Circus
Join up there, or just drop the modmins a message. They will pass any request on to the Administerrerrerr for this place.

Fucking Millenials

A forum for the off topic stuff. Everything from religion to philosophy to sex to humor (see why it used to be called Buggery?). All manner of rude psychological abuse is welcome and encouraged.
Bigshankhank
Fully Autonomous Cock-Puncher

Fucking Millenials

Post by Bigshankhank » Sun May 22, 2016 3:58 am

What is with this tiny house bullshit? Whatever the so-called "logic" behind it, my eldest daughter, being as millenial as they get (how many of her boyfriends are entrepreneurs with beards? Its a number between All and Seriously-every-fucking-one-of-them) decided to get on board this particular train and get herself a vintage RV. This despite the fact that she knows jack shit-all about mechanical stuff, but hey dad can do that stuff so tow it to his house and let him go to town.
For anyone who has never dealt with CoPart auto auctions, I would steer you clear of them. Sadly I did not know anything about them prior to this experience, nor did my kid. Wherever the fuck she found this thing, she and friend convinced themselves that it ran and was a perfect candidate for rolling around the country doing freelance marketing and solving small town Big-Boss style problems with kung fu (I guess). Regardless, they had this thing stuck out in an open field with a busted windshield and a low low price, so she bought it before her brain released the chemicals that would drive any other child who grew up in a loving supportive household to ask her parents advice first before making a major purchase. And so it showed up on my doorstep because would ya know it the dammed thing didn't actually run! But, they had it parked in an area that according to some obscure reference on their website was reserved for vehicles that ran. OK no the ad didn't explicitly state that it ran, compared to other ads for RVs that did make that specific point in the text, but I assumed that A = C because B.
So here it sits literally dripping solid rust on my driveway
Big ass diesel engine, and so many water leaks inside the "house" (I learned that's what you call the RV part of a van-based RVs) that all of the furniture inside is rotting, along with the floor deck. And whoever dumped it at the auction yard stripped the fridge and generator because they were probably each worth more than the entire vehicle when sold separately. But clean slate I guess, we will need to gut it, seal up the leaks (so many leaks) and will probably do up a solar array for power, and then build some new cabinetry and figure out the appliances.
Oh yeah, and with a fresh pair of batteries and some new fuel, goddammit if it didn't actually start. Yes I drove it around my neighborhood with almost zero fucking brakes and 15 year old cracked-ass tires because fuck these old people that live around here and don't like me having junk in my driveway. This is my little girl's dream and Dad is gonna restore the fuck out of it. My wife may not see much of me for a while, but such is the life of a shadetree mechanic widow.
I really do love this kind of shit.

It's time for Humankind to ditch the imaginary friends of our species' childhood and grow the fuck up.
-Davros

"Lasse mich deine Seele dem Herrscher der Finsternis opfern"

Let me sacrifice your soul to the ruler of darkness

Always carry a bottle of whiskey when you travel in case of a snakebite. Futhermore, always carry a small snake.

Rench
the Harm in Harmony

Re: Fucking Millenials

Post by Rench » Sun May 22, 2016 6:43 am

Outstanding sir! I applaud you! Where's the slow clap gif,!?!?!?

-Rench
"I'm not a schemer..."

"Do you know why it's illegal to put gasoline in a glass container?" - Piccinni

red
Yap. Doomed for all eternity.

Post by red » Fri Jun 03, 2016 8:23 am

Bigshankhank wrote: Yes I drove it around my neighborhood with almost zero fucking brakes and 15 year old cracked-ass tires because fuck these old people that live around here and don't like me having junk in my driveway. This is my little girl's dream and Dad is gonna restore the fuck out of it. My wife may not see much of me for a while, but such is the life of a shadetree mechanic widow.
jangleplatz!
Proud Survivor From Thread Hole 64 Campaign
1987 CBR600F Hurricane Sprawl Bike
-=High Tech / Low Life=-

Bigshankhank

Post by Bigshankhank » Fri Jun 03, 2016 12:04 pm

red wrote:
jangleplatz!
Does the forum still do that automatically?

jangleplatz! Awesome awesome

OK, well it worked the first time, not sure if it was the added punctuation that tripped the filter?
It's time for Humankind to ditch the imaginary friends of our species' childhood and grow the fuck up.
-Davros

Always carry a bottle of whiskey when you travel in case of a snakebite. Futhermore, always carry a small snake.

Rench
the Harm in Harmony

Post by Rench » Fri Jun 03, 2016 3:21 pm

To my knowledge, all coding Easter eggs were kept intact during management switch-over. jangleplatz!

-Rench
"I'm not a schemer..."

"Do you know why it's illegal to put gasoline in a glass container?" - Piccinni

DerGolgo
Zaphod's Zeitgeist

Post by DerGolgo » Sat Jun 04, 2016 3:59 am

Lesseee. jangleplatz! Awesome? Awesome. Awesome

Edit: I had actually been convinced I had uninstalled this particular little gem. Huh.

Also, having not just a hip "vintage" ride, but one that was dragged from a field a fixed up by the wise driveway mechanic, rather than any commercial and also sane alternative will probably add at least as much hip-cred as the hand-made cavinetry.
Just make sure you wear a flannel shirt an do something to create a huge shower of sparks. You know, for authenticity.
If there were absolutely anything to be afraid of, don't you think I would have worn pants?

I said I have a big stick.

Jaeger
Baron von Scrapple

Post by Jaeger » Sat Jun 04, 2016 6:05 am

Bigshankhank wrote:... This is my little girl's dream and Dad is gonna restore the fuck out of it. My wife may not see much of me for a while, but such is the life of a shadetree mechanic widow.
How the fuck did I miss this post earlier?

Well done, sir! You're an inspiration to other Fathers of Daughters... but don't talk to me about the bearded beaus. I'm not ready for that shit yet. :shock:

--Jaeger
Bigshankhank wrote:The world is a fucking wreck, but there is still sunshine in some places. Go outside and look for it.
<<NEUTIQUAM ERRO>>
2018 Indian Scout -- "Lilah"

Pattio
Centrifugal Savant of Two Wheel Transportation

Post by Pattio » Sun Jun 05, 2016 7:50 am

What's funny to me is that whenever I channel surf across a tiny house tv show for a few minutes, and watch people spending 30,000 bucks building a little wood framed house on a trailer with a chemical potty and charming shingles, I always blurt out ' why don't these people just buy a freaking RV!'

So therefore this purchase actually follows the most astute advice I had to offer.
-Pattio-

Bigshankhank

Post by Bigshankhank » Mon Jun 06, 2016 12:42 pm

Gonna gut this thing like a carp
Before (set your phasers to "Swanky";
After:
-Davros

rc26
The Devil's Banana

Post by rc26 » Thu Jun 09, 2016 5:07 pm

Wow, you did gut the fuck out of it.
"I reject your reality and substitute my own" - Stole it.

Bigshankhank

Post by Bigshankhank » Thu Dec 08, 2016 8:46 pm

This project remains slowly in motion. It had a charging problem, plus my daughter dropping out of the work force cut funds to a minimum but she is working again and we are back in the game. Before it got parked last time, she found some new tires (16.5' rims are a rare setup and there are only two tires available), so that's nice. Her boyfriend rebuilt the alternator and we think the charging system is fixed now (its reading 13.7-13.9 at idle where it was holding just over 12v before), plus if you read above the brakes were garbage. Daughter has ordered a new master along with pads and shoes. I bench bled the master cylinder because I was bored and it takes like 20 minutes so why not. Probably going ot have to wait until the holidays are over in order to install everything and flush the brakes. I bled them once several months ago and there aren't any apparent leaks at any of the wheel cylinders, this will be a more in-depth test of the integrity of the relevant seals. Hopefully the booster is good. After this we do shocks, belts, hoses, flush the radiator and start working on the vehicle wiring so that we at least have a mechanically sound and safe van, then its on to the house!
-Davros

Merlyn
Magnum Jihad

Post by Merlyn » Sat Dec 10, 2016 9:55 am

Bigshankhank wrote:This project remains slowly in motion. It had a charging problem, plus my daughter dropping out of the work force cut funds to a minimum but she is working again and we are back in the game. Before it got parked last time, she found some new tires (16.5' rims are a rare setup and there are only two tires available), so that's nice. Her boyfriend rebuilt the alternator and we think the charging system is fixed now (its reading 13.7-13.9 at idle where it was holding just over 12v before), plus if you read above the brakes were garbage. Daughter has ordered a new master along with pads and shoes. I bench bled the master cylinder because I was bored and it takes like 20 minutes so why not. Probably going ot have to wait until the holidays are over in order to install everything and flush the brakes. I bled them once several months ago and there aren't any apparent leaks at any of the wheel cylinders, this will be a more in-depth test of the integrity of the relevant seals. Hopefully the booster is good. After this we do shocks, belts, hoses, flush the radiator and start working on the vehicle wiring so that we at least have a mechanically sound and safe van, then its on to the house!
That thing is laid out really well it's going to be a gem!

You, Sir, are a fine example of fatherhood, and I salute you.

Merlyn
- 2007 FXD/Dyna SuperGlide - Black Betty
- 1986 Intruder 700 - Work in Progress

Some days you can look to your left as you ride and see your Valkyrie- pacing you and waiting for her moment...
Days like that, the only appropriate reaction is to call out "Let's dance, beautiful!" and then twist the throttle to it's stop.

Remember, folks- Your vote means fuck-all. If voting could actually change anything it would have been outlawed long ago.
The only votes that mean anything in this day and age are made from rooftops.

Bigshankhank

Post by Bigshankhank » Fri Dec 23, 2016 5:29 pm

Hmmm, replace?

YES

This seems like a pretty straightforward thing to do, except that in the process of removing the old master cylinder, the steel brake line to the proportioning valve revealed its degredation due to rust and came apart. Due to the tight confines of the valve location preventing me from simply removing the damaged line, I had to remove the entire valve, remove the damaged lines (two of them are in bad enough shape to warrant replacement), reinstall the valve and good lines, and run out to get the necessary replacement parts and tools.

We also have new pads & shoes, once these new parts are installed and new fluid flushed throughout I will assess the brakes and decide if the calipers needs replacement. It brakes fairly well, we shall see.

Also, and this is a strange one, but while working beneath the engine compartment, the end of my wrench knocked loose this little gem
I honestly have no idea where it came from, there is no empty housing from which this would have fallen, certainly nothing which appears to be missing a tiny little motor/coil. It was literally just sitting loose on part of the frame. Any ideas?

Lastly, I am chasing a longstanding lighting problem. The right taillight works on both the low and high wattage functions (running & brake/signal lights), however the left light only works on the low wattage circuit. Swapping the known good bulbs from the right side to the left does not change anything, in fact ALL six taillight bulbs work when tested on the right side. Current focus is getting this vehicle safe, so these lights are high on the priority list.

Wait, forgot something else. There was a pair of old fog lights a PO had mounted below the front fender and chickensh!t wired into the harness (you can see the white wire to them taped to the front-most metal brake line in the master cylinder picture). One had been torn off leaving just a mounting bracket when we got the rig, and the other was smashed housing with no lense. They just irritated me leaving the remnants there, so while below I cut them loose from the harness and removed the brackets and light. That's when I realized they were wired in to the secondary fuel pump circuit. So I had to reconnect that little necessity.
-Davros

Bigshankhank

Post by Bigshankhank » Sun Dec 25, 2016 7:03 am

O' holy fuckballs this thing is going to kill me, but at the same time it continues to progress. New brake line fabricated, all lines & proportioning valve reinstalled, master cylinder installed, new pads & grease on the front calipers (one of which has a buster piston seal so it will require replacement/rebuild at some point) and a little further digging into the rear drums. I feared that someone along the line with this rig had attempted to loosen the bleed nipples with a pair of pliers, and sure as shootin' I was right. Bugger all, these will require replacement as well. That will have to wait until tomorrow when shit opens up again.
For now, my mechanic muscles are screaming at me for all the reaching, stretching, up and down off the creeper, pulling and pushing wrenches. Plus jet black sludge beneath the fingernails. I love it.
-Davros

Bo_9
Ayatollah of Mayhem
Location: Filthy little worn-out, broken down, see through soul.

Post by Bo_9 » Sun Dec 25, 2016 12:31 pm

That armature looks like one out of a blower motor for the heat and ac.
When an old man dies a library burns...

"Every accident involving machinery begins with a single defect. Never forget that defect can be between your ears." - E.J. Potter
"I feel like I'm in "my little pony" HELL!!!!" -Goose
"Well, he never ever smiled, but he always seemed pleased."
"keep about your wits, Know yourself and who you came in with"

Bigshankhank

Post by Bigshankhank » Tue Dec 27, 2016 7:07 am

Bo_9 wrote:That armature looks like one out of a blower motor for the heat and ac.
That's a possibility I will have to look further in to. Thank you for the suggestion.

All in all, I was able to get the bleed nipples on the rear brakes loosened, and managed to bleed everything from the back to the front. It made a YUGE improvement in stopping power. I am sure that with time, and a brake system working with the correct amount of pressure that other components & seals will be prone to failure (as stated above, we already have one piston seal blown out) but for now, improvement is a big deal. We will have to bring it home for another long weekend of wrenching and while the rear wheels are off to replace the brake shoes go ahead and do all four shocks, flush & refill the rear diff, and probably just commit to replacing both calipers & both rear cylinders as preventative maintenance. And then bleed it all over again one last time. Then I am certain the rubber brake lines will fail. :(
-Davros

Bigshankhank

Post by Bigshankhank » Mon Jan 16, 2017 9:36 am

Engine belts were changed this weekend. We were going to dig in to the rear brakes, until I realized it was necessary to remove the hubs/axles in order to get the drums off. So we fell back to the belts as a consolation prize to say we did something.
-Davros

guitargeek
Master Metric Necromancer

Post by guitargeek » Mon Jan 16, 2017 7:08 pm

I sure hope your kid got this thing for cheap cheap cheap!
Elitist, arrogant, intolerant, self-absorbed.
Midliferider wrote:Wish I could wipe this shit off my shoes but it's everywhere I walk. Dang.
Pattio wrote:Never forget, as you enjoy the high road of tolerance, that it is those of us doing the hard work of intolerance who make it possible for you to shine.
xtian wrote:Sticking feathers up your butt does not make you a chicken

Bigshankhank

Post by Bigshankhank » Tue Jan 17, 2017 5:02 am

guitargeek wrote:I sure hope your kid got this thing for cheap cheap cheap!
A few hundred bucks. However if you have ever purchased a car through CoPart auto auctions (they are nationwide) trust me when I tell you that you will pay far more than just the purchase price. In fact, she paid more in fees than she paid for the RV.
In all honesty, if she had gotten it for just the auction price, she got a hell of a deal based on where we are today with it. The fees are lost investment at this point.
-Davros

jae
Magnum Jihad

Post by jae » Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:58 am

for that rear end, isn't the axle just bolted to the hub, such that all you have to do to remove the axle is unbolt and pull (essentially)?
There, I said it.
http://instagram.com/norrisjc
http://youtube.com/kacivic

Dying old and healthy from boredom is not an achievement.

Bigshankhank

Post by Bigshankhank » Tue Jan 17, 2017 12:06 pm

jae wrote:for that rear end, isn't the axle just bolted to the hub, such that all you have to do to remove the axle is unbolt and pull (essentially)?
I think, having done more research, that that is all that will be necessary. However sitting in the driveway with the rear end on stands and the wheels lying on the ground, the service manuals we have refer the process of removing the drums away from Brakes and over to the section about completely overhauling the rear diff and the deeper we read the more involved it seemed. Since our HOA bitches if we leave it in the driveway for too long, we just reinstalled the dual wheels, torqued the lug nuts back on and fell back to doing the belts. Which was enough of a challenge because Chevy decided to place the bolt that allows a mechanic to loosen and release tension on the compressor pulley in a position that is only accessible from the dog house inside the van, while the other pulley bolts are accessible from the engine bay, and the manuals do not refer to this little detail. Once we figured that out, the belts are as straightforward as any other vehicle, but we wrestled with that problem for a while.
-Davros

guitargeek
Master Metric Necromancer

Post by guitargeek » Wed Jan 18, 2017 1:31 pm

Vans suck to work on.

RVs are giant vans.
Elitist, arrogant, intolerant, self-absorbed.
Midliferider wrote:Wish I could wipe this shit off my shoes but it's everywhere I walk. Dang.
Pattio wrote:Never forget, as you enjoy the high road of tolerance, that it is those of us doing the hard work of intolerance who make it possible for you to shine.
xtian wrote:Sticking feathers up your butt does not make you a chicken

Bigshankhank

Post by Bigshankhank » Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:46 am

Covered in diesel fuel.
Knuckles bloodied.
I was warned.
Nevertheless, I persisted
...to diagnose the fuel delivery problems which are plaguing this thing. Rough idle, blowing white smoke, stalling after less than a minute of idling. All signs of air in the fuel injectors caused by cracks in the rubber lines, compounded by dirty fuel filters. So that was how I spent my weekend, replacing filters (there are 2), removing and replacing old fuel lines with new, bleeding air at the injectors, cleaning the remants of what was apparently some small rodent's stash of acorns out of the nooks and crannies of the engine block. Idle was instantly smoother. White smoke and stalling, however, continues. So, it is either old fuel (of which there was an unknown amount in the tank when we got it), another leak somewhere that I did not find, and/or a failing fuel pump (there are also 2 pumps). Next up, test the two pumps followed by redirecting the fuel lines to a small secondary tank filled with new fuel.
The daughter is getting frustrated that we are not further along. Before she purchased this thing, she didn't seem to draw a distinction between "Running" and "Runs well, needs nothing", much less "Safe to operate on public streets". I think she honestly thought this would be a simple matter of gutting and rebuilding the interior and viola, instant hipster-home. Oh she is getting a harsh lesson in why-you-ask-dad-about-things-like-this-before-you-spend-your-money-on-them. We'll get there.
-Davros

Pintgudge
The Big Oooola

Post by Pintgudge » Mon Mar 27, 2017 2:07 pm

How is it that SHE is getting a harsh lesson, when you are the one bleeding, sore, covered in diesel, listening to "Why isn't it done yet?"' AND doing all the work?

Just curious, but I bet you are a great dad!
If man is fit to be governed, is any man fit to govern?

These are the days of miracles and wonder!

'81 Goldwing Standard w/'61 Ural Sidecar

'06 Bajaj Chetak

Bigshankhank

Post by Bigshankhank » Wed Mar 29, 2017 6:35 am

Scouring the internet got me a complete manual for both the GM van portion of this thing (which was easy, in fact I have three different manuals for the van) as well as a complete manual from the RV manufacturer. Unfortunately, the wiring diagrams from the GM manuals only cover the van and thus are not relevant once you get behind the front seats. And the wiring diagram in the RV manual is terrible. Complete, but it is a scan of a hand drawn wiring map, black and white and barely legible. So, in the interest in not losing my mind while trying to sort this thing out, I spent the last week asking around, squinting really fucking hard, and color coded the wiring diagram myself. There are still a few areas where I could not clearly decipher what color some wires are (denoted by the green text boxes) and once I locate each of the individual plugs and connection points within the RV itself I will notate them accordingly for future reference but for the most part this tool will make life so much easier. Upon this rock I shall build my church...
-Davros

Bigshankhank

Post by Bigshankhank » Sun Apr 16, 2017 1:07 pm

Lift pump replacement day. The PO (one of them) had installed this electric pump inline and left the OEM one just hanging there, useless and neglected. The wiring to it was pretty sloppy. Maybe this is a part of my stalling problems, better to go back to the engineered condition and start from there.

New pump vs old one.

Clean gasket surfaces and new handmade bracket gasket (the pump came with the pump gasket, but not one for the bracket).
I know what you are thinking, where is the rod? Rest assured it went back in, from reading here and in the book I slopped a bunch of grease on it and it held itself deep into its pocket well enough to get the pump lever underneath it when I installed it.

Replaced the rubber inlet hose with new. Since the outlet pipe was connected to the inline pump, the PO had cut off the flare to make the rubber hose connection. So, I had to flare the end with the line in place, no small task. My forearms are killing me but I got it.

Fully installed, now I get to bleed air out of the injectors again, but I needed a break to eat something.
-Davros

Bigshankhank

Post by Bigshankhank » Tue May 02, 2017 6:19 am

So now I've got good fuel pressure but the glow plug controller is shot. Upgraded to a later model controller on the recommendation of some internet diesel gurus, still trying to sort the wiring but I hope to hell to get this thing running again, I would really like the space in my driveway back.
-Davros

Bigshankhank

Post by Bigshankhank » Thu May 11, 2017 11:35 am

Ancient proverb: In the world of the vexed, a man who is calm would be king. At least until his vexed citizens stoned him to death for being such a prick.

I am amongst those who are vexed, and it is because of this dammed machine. Mechanical lift pump = New. Glow Plug Controller = New. Fuel filters = New. Fuel lines = New. Air purged from fuel lines/injectors = Done. Motherpusbucket still won't start. It is starting to sound like the injector pump is bad. This is a bad thing because remand. injector pumps are $450+. To the junkyards!
-Davros

Mk3
Captain Sensible, Space Command.
Location: The people's republic of Illinois Welcome comrade, join the party!

Post by Mk3 » Fri May 12, 2017 1:58 pm

Vexed? You study flags now? (Vexillology)...
"...when someone asks you if you're a god, you say "YES "!

"UTMC, it's an international disorganization of racers, aficionados, mechanics, lunatics, and scumbags. It's like an online motorcycle Mos Eisley."

Bigshankhank

Post by Bigshankhank » Fri May 12, 2017 4:00 pm

I may be the biggest dumbass in the room.
-Davros