PLEASE LOGIN TO SEE ANYTHING.
This measure is inconvenient, yes, but necessary at present.
Click below for more information.

EVERYTHING IS MARKED UNREAD!!
click her for the instant fix
Show
First fix:
  • open the menu at the top
  • hit New Posts to see what's actually new and browse the new stuff from there
  • go back to the Forum Index
  • open the menu at the top again
  • click Mark forums read
    this will zero the unread anything for you, so you can strive forth into the exciting world of the new cookie thing.

Because the board got shutdown again because of a load of database, I had to fettle with the settings again.
As part of that, the server no longer stores what topics you have or haven't read.
IT IS STILL RECORDED!
But now, that information lives in a delicious cookie, rather than the forum database.

Upside: this should reduce the load of database.
Downside: if you use multiple devices to access the board, or you reject delicious cookies, you won't always have that information cookie. But the New Posts feature should take care of that.

PLEASE NOTIFY THE ADMINISTERRERRERR ABOUT ANY PROBLEMS!

2024 LOGIN/Posting ISSUES
Click if you have a problem.
Show

If you cannot Debauch because you get an IP blacklist error, try Debauching again time. It may work immediately, it may take a few attempts. It will work eventually, I don't think I had to click debauch more than three times. Someone is overzealous at our hosting company, but only on the first couple of attempts.

If you have problems logging in, posting, or doing anything else, please get in touch.
You know the email (if you don't, see in the registration info below), you know where to find the Administerrerrerr on the Midget Circus.

Some unpleasant miscreant was firing incessant database queries at our server, which forced the Legal Department of our hosting company, via their Abuse subdivision, to shut us down. No I have none.
All I can do it button the hatches, and tighten up a few things. Such as time limits on how long you may take to compose a post and hit Debauch! As of 24/01/10, I've set that at 30 minutes for now.

To restrict further overloads, any unregistered users had to be locked out.
How do we know who is or isn't an unregistered user?
By forcing anyone who wants in to Log In.
Is that annoying?
Yes. But there's only so much the Administerrerrerr can do to keep this place running.

Again, if you have any problems: get in touch.

REGISTRATION! NEW USERS!
Registration Information
Show
Automatic registration is disabled for security reasons.
But fear not!
You can register!

Option the First:
Please drop our fearless Administerrerrerr a line.
Tell him who you are, that you wish to join, and what you wish your username to be. The Administerrerrerr will get back to you. If you're human, and you're not a damn spammer, expect a reply within 24 hoursish. Usually quicker, rarely slower.

Unfortunately, the Contact Form is being a total primadonna right now, so please send an email to the obvious address.
Posting this address in clear text is just the "on" switch for spambots, but here is a hint.

Option the Second:
Find us on Facebook, in the magnificent
Umah Thurman Midget Circus
Join up there, or just drop the modmins a message. They will pass any request on to the Administerrerrerr for this place.

Happy Birthday America!

A forum for the off topic stuff. Everything from religion to philosophy to sex to humor (see why it used to be called Buggery?). All manner of rude psychological abuse is welcome and encouraged.
DerGolgo
Zaphod's Zeitgeist

Happy Birthday America!

Post by DerGolgo » Mon Jul 04, 2016 1:29 am

From all us Eurotrash, happy birthday!
And thank you for saving our buts those couple of times.
And thank you for Star Trek, the Internet, Cola and Bacon-Cheeseburgers!

Have a good 'un!

If there were absolutely anything to be afraid of, don't you think I would have worn pants?

I said I have a big stick.

xtian
Le coureur de lames chasse Tinti...

Re: Happy Birthday America!

Post by xtian » Mon Jul 04, 2016 5:33 am

And of course all the scientists and philosopher, werner von braun, Wittgenstein and shit.
I'm not really from around here.

Bo_9
Ayatollah of Mayhem
Location: Filthy little worn-out, broken down, see through soul.

Post by Bo_9 » Mon Jul 04, 2016 7:25 am

[media]https://youtu.be/2-Be9f7Ovgg[/media]
...and we don't even know why
When an old man dies a library burns...

"Every accident involving machinery begins with a single defect. Never forget that defect can be between your ears." - E.J. Potter
"I feel like I'm in "my little pony" HELL!!!!" -Goose
"Well, he never ever smiled, but he always seemed pleased."
"keep about your wits, Know yourself and who you came in with"

DerGolgo
Zaphod's Zeitgeist

Post by DerGolgo » Mon Jul 04, 2016 7:28 am

xtian wrote:And of course all the scientists and philosopher, werner von braun, Wittgenstein and shit.

Them's Germans.
You're thinking of the folk (yes, slave owners some of them, I know) who came up with separation of church-and-state. Folk like Jefferson, Franklin, Paine.
Someone who not just studied the stars, but formulated why the heck we should look for 'em, Dr. Sagan. Men who formulated labor rights, like Eugene Debbs. The man who created the middle class, a middle class of laborers, who had a vision of worker's rights and economic equality far beyond what most European countries have, Franklin Roosevelt. I shouldn't even have to mention Dr. King. Maybe Henry David Thoreau, who was a century before his time with his ideas about ecology?
Or people like the inventor of the telephone, Elisha Gray, or the electronic, no-moving-parts TV, Philo Farnsworth. The gang around William Shockley, who created the transistor?
Oh, not inventors, actual scientists. How about Michael Gazzaniga, who discovered the left/right separation of the brain and its workings?
Linus Pauling who, before going a bit crazy with Vitamin C, worked out the fundamental of chemical bonds, for which he got a Nobel?
Melvin Calvin, who explained how plants absorb carbon dioxide? Robert Millikan, the man who was the first to quantify the charge of an electron? Richard Feynman, who's description of the interaction of light and matter was the first theory where quantum mechanics and special relativity agree? Bardeen, Cooper, and Schrieffer, who first described superconductivity? Barbara McClintock, who discovered that some bits of DNA can move around in the genome? Rachel Carson, who forced the world to pay attention to the consequences of pesticide use? B.F. Skinner, pioneer of behaviourism? Stanley Milgram who's famous experiment gave us important insight into the nature of obedience, who described the "six degrees of separation" phenomenon?

Let's face it.
The USA has produced some pretty good contributions and contributors to human civilization.
A lot of shite, also. But our lands, Belgium and Germany, certainly got loads and loads of those, too.
If there were absolutely anything to be afraid of, don't you think I would have worn pants?

Bo_9
Ayatollah of Mayhem

Post by Bo_9 » Mon Jul 04, 2016 7:33 am

But sadly they don't teach about most of those people in school. Their background information is not "on the test".
It takes a German to point out American scientists.

"Every accident involving machinery begins with a single defect. Never forget that defect can be between your ears." - E.J. Potter

motorpsycho67
Double-dip Diogenes

Post by motorpsycho67 » Mon Jul 04, 2016 9:21 am

MURKA!
'75 Honda CB400F
'82 Kawalski GPz750
etc.

Rench
the Harm in Harmony

Post by Rench » Mon Jul 04, 2016 9:50 am

Thanks!!! :mrgreen:

-Rench
"I'm not a schemer..."

"Do you know why it's illegal to put gasoline in a glass container?" - Piccinni

Bo_9
Ayatollah of Mayhem

Post by Bo_9 » Mon Jul 04, 2016 10:40 am

I just got back from the car show at the park downtown. I've now had my fill of drunk red neck 'merica for quite some time.

xtian

Post by xtian » Mon Jul 04, 2016 12:16 pm

DerGolgo wrote:....
are you working on that german humor thing ?
yeah I know. Actually, my first intention was that we as eurotrashes are addicted to a side of murka that might sound cliche or obnoxious to the educated people of their country, like most of my personal interests are counter culture references, but I somehow got lost in a double negation.

DerGolgo
Zaphod's Zeitgeist

Post by DerGolgo » Mon Jul 04, 2016 4:54 pm

xtian wrote:
DerGolgo wrote:....
are you working on that german humor thing ?
yeah I know. Actually, my first intention was that we as eurotrashes are addicted to a side of murka that might sound cliche or obnoxious to the educated people of their country, like most of my personal interests are counter culture references, but I somehow got lost in a double negation.
Yeah, with the mention of Wittgenstein and von Braun as the American scientists and philosophers, it did come across like an angry expression of critique on the US.
Oh, well. Worked out fine.

xtian

Post by xtian » Tue Jul 05, 2016 3:42 am

DerGolgo wrote:Yeah, with the mention of Wittgenstein and von Braun as the American scientists and philosophers, it did come across like an angry expression of critique on the US.
Oh, well. Worked out fine.
that is certainly wasn't, unless they are paranoid. And armed.

Rench
the Harm in Harmony

Post by Rench » Tue Jul 05, 2016 5:09 am

About that... :mrgreen:

-Rench
"I'm not a schemer..."

"Do you know why it's illegal to put gasoline in a glass container?" - Piccinni