PLEASE LOGIN TO SEE ANYTHING.
This measure is inconvenient, yes, but necessary at present.
Click below for more information.

2024 LOGIN/Posting ISSUES
Click if you have a problem.
Show

If you cannot Debauch because you get an IP blacklist error, try Debauching a second time. Someone is overzealous at our hosting company, but only on the first attempt.

If you have problems logging in, posting, or doing anything else, please get in touch.
You know the email (if you don't, see in the registration info below), you know where to find the Administerrerrerr on the Midget Circus.

Some unpleasant miscreant was firing incessant database queries at our server, which forced the Legal Department of our hosting company, via their Abuse subdivision, to shut us down. No I have none.
All I can do it button the hatches, and tighten up a few things. Such as time limits on how long you may take to compose a post and hit Debauch! As of 24/01/10, I've set that at 30 minutes for now.

To restrict further overloads, any unregistered users had to be locked out.
How do we know who is or isn't an unregistered user?
By forcing anyone who wants in to Log In.
Is that annoying?
Yes. But there's only so much the Administerrerrerr can do to keep this place running.

Again, if you have any problems: get in touch.

REGISTRATION! NEW USERS!
Registration Information
Show
Automatic registration is disabled for security reasons.
But fear not!
You can register!

Option the First:
Please drop our fearless Administerrerrerr a line.
Tell him who you are, that you wish to join, and what you wish your username to be. The Administerrerrerr will get back to you. If you're human, and you're not a damn spammer, expect a reply within 24 hoursish. Usually quicker, rarely slower.

Unfortunately, the Contact Form is being a total primadonna right now, so please send an email to the obvious address.
Posting this address in clear text is just the "on" switch for spambots, but here is a hint.

Option the Second:
Find us on Facebook, in the magnificent
Umah Thurman Midget Circus
Join up there, or just drop the modmins a message. They will pass any request on to the Administerrerrerr for this place.

New Off-Road Toy

A forum for the off topic stuff. Everything from religion to philosophy to sex to humor (see why it used to be called Buggery?). All manner of rude psychological abuse is welcome and encouraged.
Bigshankhank
Fully Autonomous Cock-Puncher

Re: New Off-Road Toy

Post by Bigshankhank » Thu Jan 10, 2019 4:05 am

Blackstone Laboratories in Ohio
https://www.blackstone-labs.com/
For $28 they will analyze the chemistry of your engine oil looking for metals, unwanted fluids like fuel & coolant, and give you an overall breakdown of how your engine is wearing. I've never had them do one for me before so I can't say personally how the report comes back, but its fairly common in the tuner world (of which I am NOT a part mind you) as well as a general shadetree mechanic talking point. You go to their website, request a free sample kits which consists of a small sample bottle inside a larger cannister. When you drain your oil, slip the sample bottle in to the oil flow, seal it in the included ziplock bag, seal it in the cannister and put it in the mail. Supposedly takes about 2 - 3 weeks to get results, so I'll report on it by the end of the month I hope.

It's time for Humankind to ditch the imaginary friends of our species' childhood and grow the fuck up.
-Davros

"Lasse mich deine Seele dem Herrscher der Finsternis opfern"

Let me sacrifice your soul to the ruler of darkness

Always carry a bottle of whiskey when you travel in case of a snakebite. Futhermore, always carry a small snake.

Bigshankhank

Post by Bigshankhank » Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:13 pm

Fucking brake lights stopped working. Turns out this is a known issue, related to the hazard flasher switch. No idea how long I've been making people guess when I'm coming to a stop, though if anyone is patient enough to drive behind my slow-ass in this thing they could pretty much Flintstone an emergency braking maneuver if they needed to.
It's time for Humankind to ditch the imaginary friends of our species' childhood and grow the fuck up.
-Davros

Always carry a bottle of whiskey when you travel in case of a snakebite. Futhermore, always carry a small snake.

Bigshankhank

Post by Bigshankhank » Thu Jan 17, 2019 11:59 am

Minor disassembly & cleaning of contact surfaces and a little creative engineering to get it back together since some of the plastic was buggered.
-Davros

0l4fderstout
Maltov Rattlecan

Post by 0l4fderstout » Thu Jan 17, 2019 1:31 pm

No chance of a replacement. I'd be leery of not having brake lights. (of course that may be my particular paranoia talking.)

Bigshankhank

Post by Bigshankhank » Fri Jan 18, 2019 5:21 am

0l4fderstout wrote:No chance of a replacement. I'd be leery of not having brake lights. (of course that may be my particular paranoia talking.)
Replacements are available but they run around $60. I'll source a good replacement but this fix got me down the road.
-Davros

0l4fderstout
Maltov Rattlecan

Post by 0l4fderstout » Fri Jan 18, 2019 5:58 pm

Fair enough. You gotta do what you gotta do.

Bigshankhank

Post by Bigshankhank » Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:01 am

Damn, not exactly the most encouraging report. Then again, I have no idea if the PO ever used an additive in the oil so I'll probably change the oil at 2k as suggested, then again 2k later and take another sample from the 2nd change.
-Davros

Bigshankhank

Post by Bigshankhank » Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:45 pm

Finally had a chance to install the power steering pump rebuild kit this past weekend. Couldn’t find a write up anywhere so I flew blind with a parts diagram and a bit of moxy and sure enough, it doesn’t leak any longer. For the first time since I bought it there isn’t any noise when I steer, and the effort needed to turn it is significantly less. It’s the title things that we take for granted on modern cars that we don’t appreciate until we don’t have them.
-Davros

0l4fderstout
Maltov Rattlecan

Post by 0l4fderstout » Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:25 pm

My first car was a 79 GMC with 3 on the tree and no power steering. It was a bitch to parallel park but boy did I get good at it.

Bigshankhank

Post by Bigshankhank » Mon Jun 10, 2019 3:35 am

I officially lost some Death Trap points over the course of the past two weekends. Dug in to the brakes, replaced shoes, springs and cylinders on the rear which inadvertently turned in to replacing some hard lines back there as well because they twisted into rusty mud when I attempted to loosen their fittings. Then bled everything down, felt good and solid. A long term issue I have been dealing with is a hard pull to the left during braking, refurbishing the rears did not cause this problem to abate so up the fronts I went. Lo and behold the passenger caliper was frozen solid, and replacing it turned in to a bit of an ordeal because like the rears, removing the fittings from the caliper destroyed the hard lines, and a replacement caliper took several days for my local NAPA to get in hand. This scarcity had a bit of a silver lining however in that the core charge was greater than the purchase price, meaning I made money on the deal once I handed over my OEM caliper. But after some more tube bending/flaring, cleaning and even going so far as to replace the rubber lines (and pads of course) and finally bleeding in yet more new golden juice, the brake pedal is solid as a brick and I can hands free brake in a straight line!
I will try and add some pictures but photo-fucket is being a dick again and telling me I cannot add anymore images (something about a free storage limit vs a paid account) so I gotta sort out what free service (because who pays for shit on the internet?) can load onto a .php format forum.
-Davros

jae
Magnum Jihad

Post by jae » Mon Jun 10, 2019 9:24 am

Bigshankhank wrote:... so I gotta sort out what free service (because who pays for shit on the internet?) can load onto a .php format forum.
I've had good luck with imgur
There, I said it.
http://instagram.com/norrisjc
http://youtube.com/kacivic

Dying old and healthy from boredom is not an achievement.