PLEASE LOGIN TO SEE ANYTHING.
This measure is inconvenient, yes, but necessary at present.
Click below for more information.

EVERYTHING IS MARKED UNREAD!!
click her for the instant fix
Show
First fix:
  • open the menu at the top
  • hit New Posts to see what's actually new and browse the new stuff from there
  • go back to the Forum Index
  • open the menu at the top again
  • click Mark forums read
    this will zero the unread anything for you, so you can strive forth into the exciting world of the new cookie thing.

Because the board got shutdown again because of a load of database, I had to fettle with the settings again.
As part of that, the server no longer stores what topics you have or haven't read.
IT IS STILL RECORDED!
But now, that information lives in a delicious cookie, rather than the forum database.

Upside: this should reduce the load of database.
Downside: if you use multiple devices to access the board, or you reject delicious cookies, you won't always have that information cookie. But the New Posts feature should take care of that.

PLEASE NOTIFY THE ADMINISTERRERRERR ABOUT ANY PROBLEMS!

2024 LOGIN/Posting ISSUES
Click if you have a problem.
Show

If you cannot Debauch because you get an IP blacklist error, try Debauching again time. It may work immediately, it may take a few attempts. It will work eventually, I don't think I had to click debauch more than three times. Someone is overzealous at our hosting company, but only on the first couple of attempts.

If you have problems logging in, posting, or doing anything else, please get in touch.
You know the email (if you don't, see in the registration info below), you know where to find the Administerrerrerr on the Midget Circus.

Some unpleasant miscreant was firing incessant database queries at our server, which forced the Legal Department of our hosting company, via their Abuse subdivision, to shut us down. No I have none.
All I can do it button the hatches, and tighten up a few things. Such as time limits on how long you may take to compose a post and hit Debauch! As of 24/01/10, I've set that at 30 minutes for now.

To restrict further overloads, any unregistered users had to be locked out.
How do we know who is or isn't an unregistered user?
By forcing anyone who wants in to Log In.
Is that annoying?
Yes. But there's only so much the Administerrerrerr can do to keep this place running.

Again, if you have any problems: get in touch.

REGISTRATION! NEW USERS!
Registration Information
Show
Automatic registration is disabled for security reasons.
But fear not!
You can register!

Option the First:
Please drop our fearless Administerrerrerr a line.
Tell him who you are, that you wish to join, and what you wish your username to be. The Administerrerrerr will get back to you. If you're human, and you're not a damn spammer, expect a reply within 24 hoursish. Usually quicker, rarely slower.

Unfortunately, the Contact Form is being a total primadonna right now, so please send an email to the obvious address.
Posting this address in clear text is just the "on" switch for spambots, but here is a hint.

Option the Second:
Find us on Facebook, in the magnificent
Umah Thurman Midget Circus
Join up there, or just drop the modmins a message. They will pass any request on to the Administerrerrerr for this place.

Pearl Harbor day.......

A forum for the off topic stuff. Everything from religion to philosophy to sex to humor (see why it used to be called Buggery?). All manner of rude psychological abuse is welcome and encouraged.
Sisyphus
Rigging the Ancient Mariner

Post by Sisyphus » Thu Dec 08, 2011 2:03 pm

rolly wrote:
Zer0 wrote:Would any of you tell the orphans, widows and parents who lost their children only 10 years ago that we just need to drop it? To get over it? Bullshit.
How they feel is none of my business, but I'd tell everyone else to stop using 9/11 to justify the end of individual rights at home and bathing in blood abroad.
This.

Sent from my POS laptop plugged into the wall

Pintgudge
The Big Oooola

Post by Pintgudge » Thu Dec 08, 2011 3:25 pm

Get over it, no.

It is pretty much impossible to actually find the true and correct person or persons to blame however, and most people who carry this cause with everlasting hate do so blaming the wrong folks.

I personally have better things to do with my life than spend years commemorating a wrong.

It is harder to do, but I'll try to do a right instead.
If man is fit to be governed, is any man fit to govern?

These are the days of miracles and wonder!

'81 Goldwing Standard w/'61 Ural Sidecar

'06 Bajaj Chetak

12ci
Ayatollah of Mayhem

Re:

Post by 12ci » Tue Dec 06, 2016 9:41 pm

because
today you decide what tomorrow will bring

DerGolgo
Zaphod's Zeitgeist

Re: Pearl Harbor day.......

Post by DerGolgo » Wed Dec 07, 2016 4:55 am

And the "boy, THAT is an ancient thread to show up with the blue icon!" cup goes to this.

Fuck war. The only thing that is worse than war is the shits who start wars.
America, at the time, showed the world how this works.
Don't start wars. But if somebody else does, you END them.

Some say that, after the Japanese occupation of Korea, war in the Pacific was pretty inevitable. That they figured they had to attack the US fleet, or the US would attack them.
I don't want to imagine the shit the US sailors, soldiers and civilians in Pearl Harbor went through that day. Or went through in the years following, dealing with injuries to the body and the mind.
Before Pearl Harbor, the fascists were winning. Lend lease alone didn't do the trick. The turn on the Ostfront didn't come until early 1943, by which time the USSR was getting war materials etc. from the US. As crucially, the things the Wehrmacht there didn't get. Not even because the factories were reduced to rubble by one bombing raid after the other. The bombs that rained down never achieved as much as anyone hoped. The guns that would shoot at the planes dropping the bombs, though. As Speer himself put it after the war: "Can you imagine what we could have done with all those 88mm tubes on the Ostfront?". Even when the guy was befuddled by the allied interrogators amazement that war-production was affected as little as it was by the bombings, there had been only so many rolling-mills, so many reserves of transition-metals for alloys. So shells from lesser guns would keep bouncing off of T-34s. Many, many things like that, the fascists hadn't even been able to conceive, as amazed as they had been with themselves.
75 years ago today, they started losing the war. Convinced that one "decisive" battle, one they couldn't possibly lose, would let them sweep those weak, democratic people aside.
I'm kinda conflicted about remembering that.

I'm absolutely not conflicted about what the Japanese did that day, or about who won the war.
If there were absolutely anything to be afraid of, don't you think I would have worn pants?

I said I have a big stick.

Jaeger
Baron von Scrapple

Re: Re:

Post by Jaeger » Wed Dec 07, 2016 2:35 pm

12ci wrote:because
Nicely done, sir.

"Those who do not study history are doomed to repeat it; those who do study history are doomed to sit by and watch others repeat it."
DerGolgo wrote: Fuck war. The only thing that is worse than war is the shits who start wars.
America, at the time, showed the world how this works.
Don't start wars. But if somebody else does, you END them.

I'm absolutely not conflicted about what the Japanese did that day, or about who won the war.
"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve."
--Admiral Yamamoto (debatable)

To all those old bastards what fought WW2... I pray that we've learned the lessons your blood taught us so dearly. Cheers.

--Jaeger
Bigshankhank wrote:The world is a fucking wreck, but there is still sunshine in some places. Go outside and look for it.
<<NEUTIQUAM ERRO>>
2018 Indian Scout -- "Lilah"

Skkot
The pain maker go awayer!

Post by Skkot » Wed Dec 07, 2016 3:33 pm

One memorial day, a local class of elementary school students wrote letters to local veterans, and my dad received one. He had been stationed in Germany in 1954, just in time to be considered to be part of the occupation. He was asked if anyone had tried to kill him, and he responded that because his uncles went to war and won, Germany was peaceful when he was there and people were friendly.

His mother had three brothers; the oldest (Alfred) had served in the Marines as an aviator during the 1920's and had deployed to Nicauragua. He volunteered for the Army Air Corps but was too old at 35 to be a pilot. They made him a radio operator in a B-17. The middle brother (Jerome) was in an armored division and saw combat in North Africa. The youngest (Robbie), 8 years older than my dad and more like a big brother than an uncle, volunteered for Airborne Infantry.

The uncle who fought in a tank was sent home in 1944 under the sole surviving son rule. Albert was killed on January 3, 1943 bombing the submarine pens at St. Nazaire, France. Robbie was killed jumping into Normandy. I read letters from my grandfather to the War Department asking where Albert was buried. Several times they informed him where Robert was buried, but it took a few years to locate Alfred.

It's true there has been plenty of evil done throughout history by all people and no-one really is innocent, but if Alfred and Robbie had survived the war, not only would I have probably gotten to know or at least meet Robert (he was why I went Airborne when it was my turn to volunteer) but Dozer and I likely would have had several more cousins. That's not nationalistic or triumphalist, but that's the reality we are left with and why we still remember or think about remembering because the consequences remain. At least we don't have buried ordnance everywhere.
2004 R1150 GS PKM + 2002 R1150R Sidecarmachine
You can wipe your ass and blow your nose with the same wad of tissue, but blow your nose first.

motorpsycho67
Double-dip Diogenes

Post by motorpsycho67 » Wed Dec 07, 2016 10:19 pm

12-7-80
RIP Jan Paul Beahm
'75 Honda CB400F
'82 Kawalski GPz750
etc.