Honda builds Akira bike?

Discussion for the Akira Powerbike Page.
Mean Chuck
Delaware Destroyer

Honda builds Akira bike?

Post by Mean Chuck » Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:51 am

http://www.autoblog.com/2014/03/21/hond ... nel-akira/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My father was a workaholic, every time you mention work he got drunk! -Rodney Dangerfield

motorpsycho67
Double-dip Diogenes

Re: Honda builds Akira bike?

Post by motorpsycho67 » Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:22 pm

That's almost as ugly as the Rune or BMW R1200C....
'75 Honda CB400F
'82 Kawalski GPz750
etc.

Mean Chuck
Delaware Destroyer

Post by Mean Chuck » Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:56 pm

I guess that's why I like it, not everything can be a café racer.
My father was a workaholic, every time you mention work he got drunk! -Rodney Dangerfield

DerGolgo
Zaphod's Zeitgeist

Post by DerGolgo » Wed Mar 26, 2014 1:18 pm

Mean Chuck wrote:I guess that's why I like it, not everything can be a café racer.
This is a full-fairing, aerodynamic cruiser. If they had set out to design the anti-café-racer, they probably couldn't have done worse.
Actually, they might just have done that. Cafe Racer's are so damn popular, somebody figured "Backlash! There will be market backlash! And we will ride that wave as it goes the other direction, oh yes!"
I like it.
It's ugly as fuck, mind, y'all know what I likes.
But it's entirely different. It's got the laid-back cruiser riding position, but it's dressed up entirely counter-intuitively for a bike with that kind of layout.
This may either disappear, to be forgotten by all but the true bike geeks, becoming at best a joke that Honda haters will laugh for many years. Or it will sell like hot-cakes and start a whole new trend.
It might just look enough like starting a whole new trend that other manufacturers jump on board like it's the hot cakes, mistaking how they go down in flames for being so hot, they're on fire.
If there were absolutely anything to be afraid of, don't you think I would have worn pants?

I said I have a big stick.

guitargeek
Master Metric Necromancer

Post by guitargeek » Wed Mar 26, 2014 4:28 pm

PC800 recliner...
Elitist, arrogant, intolerant, self-absorbed.
Midliferider wrote:Wish I could wipe this shit off my shoes but it's everywhere I walk. Dang.
Pattio wrote:Never forget, as you enjoy the high road of tolerance, that it is those of us doing the hard work of intolerance who make it possible for you to shine.
xtian wrote:Sticking feathers up your butt does not make you a chicken

Mean Chuck
Delaware Destroyer

Post by Mean Chuck » Wed Mar 26, 2014 4:36 pm

Really, Really Big Ruckus!!

calamari kid
Ayatollah of Mayhem

Post by calamari kid » Wed Mar 26, 2014 4:38 pm

Looks like the love child of a Victory Vison and Diavel, with a sprinkle of KTM angularity.
"Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon." -Honda manual circa 1962

"Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba...." -Hunter S Thompson

"A psychotic is a guy who's just found out what's going on." -William S. Burroughs

xtian
Le coureur de lames chasse Tinti...

Post by xtian » Wed Mar 26, 2014 10:40 pm

I once owned a modern Honda. Talking about it I once heard me say that it was an excellent tool, but you just don't fall in love with tools, the way you can fall in love with a zrx1100.
I used to find their range and design blunt and bizarre, to say the least. But model after model, they are developing something coherent, a true style begins to emerge. This motorscooterthingy cruisa-commuty-sporty individual transportation device doesn't just happens out of the blue. It is the logical declination of different bikes, from DN-01 to the latest CTX crusers. Honda is creating its own branch of evolution as the same time as, when confronted to the same product creation, Kawasaki just sticks a K sticker on a korean scooter, and BMW just built an expensive suzuki Burgman clone. I respect that.

If it has the 750cc twin engine, it's closer to the motorcycle standards than scooters. a R100 boxer was the ultimate motorcycle reference until not so long ago. I bet this thing beats the boxer in every aspect, dynamics, performance, practicability, and reliability. The only 2 things that keeps it out of the motorcycle family is the cool factor. I never found the R100 cool either, in the times, it was just a blunt individual transportation device. that didn't stop it from becoming an icon. The second thing is bikers being old people stuck in a fake nostalgia cliches of an era that they never lived (*round headlights and carbs*). This bike manages to create a nostalgia for a future. I respect that too.
I'm not sure I'd be ready to be seen riding one though.
I'm not really from around here.

NEO
El Asbestos Pajamas

Post by NEO » Thu Mar 27, 2014 2:12 am

:/ :/ :/

A motorcycle just for cruising, in red, no ?

At the 30th Osaka Motorcycle Show on March 21 2014.

Honda NM4 / Vultus

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IPnXZzqinm8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PyTc_7_L4Jk

:/ :/ :/

Bigshankhank
Fully Autonomous Cock-Puncher

Post by Bigshankhank » Thu Mar 27, 2014 6:03 am

Hey hey NEO, I thought you had forgotten about us. Welcome back.
It's time for Humankind to ditch the imaginary friends of our species' childhood and grow the fuck up.
-Davros

"Lasse mich deine Seele dem Herrscher der Finsternis opfern"

Let me sacrifice your soul to the ruler of darkness

Always carry a bottle of whiskey when you travel in case of a snakebite. Futhermore, always carry a small snake.

NEO
El Asbestos Pajamas

Post by NEO » Sat Mar 29, 2014 2:15 am

I keep an eye on you :wink:

Rench
the Harm in Harmony

Post by Rench » Mon Mar 31, 2014 1:28 pm

HolyfuckNEO!!! :mrgreen:

-Rench
"I'm not a schemer..."

"Do you know why it's illegal to put gasoline in a glass container?" - Piccinni

red
Yap. Doomed for all eternity.

Post by red » Fri Apr 11, 2014 3:20 am

NEO wrote:I keep an eye on you :wink:
I always assumed you were either an alter ego of BeemerDan or some sort of ghost in the forum. :D
Proud Survivor From Thread Hole 64 Campaign
1987 CBR600F Hurricane Sprawl Bike
-=High Tech / Low Life=-

goose
Pâté de Foie Gras

Post by goose » Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:14 pm

He is the One! I like the new Honda. Not sure it will succeed here, but they are trying.
Drink triples til you're seeing double, feeling single, and looking for trouble! -Johnny Nitro, RIP

"British bikes of that era are made of a special alloy known as Brittainium. It is the only metal known to be able to rust even when fully submerged in oil. It also corrodes microscopic passages through itself whenever it makes contact with any known gasketing material." - AZ Rider

Re: Husaberg Build: "I pictured it more like the heroin addicted ex that keeps turning up, the bleeding you dry, breaking your heart, and crushing your soul, but you keep taking her back because it's the most fun ride you've ever had..." Bo-9

Bo_9
Ayatollah of Mayhem
Location: Filthy little worn-out, broken down, see through soul.

Post by Bo_9 » Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:48 am

Just not quite right...
When an old man dies a library burns...

"Every accident involving machinery begins with a single defect. Never forget that defect can be between your ears." - E.J. Potter
"I feel like i'm in "my little pony" HELL!!!!" -Goose
"Well, he never ever smiled, but he always seemed pleased."
"Just one bad day..."