PLEASE LOGIN TO SEE ANYTHING.
This measure is inconvenient, yes, but necessary at present.
Click below for more information.

2024 LOGIN/Posting ISSUES
Click if you have a problem.
Show

If you cannot Debauch because you get an IP blacklist error, try Debauching a second time. Someone is overzealous at our hosting company, but only on the first attempt.

If you have problems logging in, posting, or doing anything else, please get in touch.
You know the email (if you don't, see in the registration info below), you know where to find the Administerrerrerr on the Midget Circus.

Some unpleasant miscreant was firing incessant database queries at our server, which forced the Legal Department of our hosting company, via their Abuse subdivision, to shut us down. No I have none.
All I can do it button the hatches, and tighten up a few things. Such as time limits on how long you may take to compose a post and hit Debauch! As of 24/01/10, I've set that at 30 minutes for now.

To restrict further overloads, any unregistered users had to be locked out.
How do we know who is or isn't an unregistered user?
By forcing anyone who wants in to Log In.
Is that annoying?
Yes. But there's only so much the Administerrerrerr can do to keep this place running.

Again, if you have any problems: get in touch.

REGISTRATION! NEW USERS!
Registration Information
Show
Automatic registration is disabled for security reasons.
But fear not!
You can register!

Option the First:
Please drop our fearless Administerrerrerr a line.
Tell him who you are, that you wish to join, and what you wish your username to be. The Administerrerrerr will get back to you. If you're human, and you're not a damn spammer, expect a reply within 24 hoursish. Usually quicker, rarely slower.

Unfortunately, the Contact Form is being a total primadonna right now, so please send an email to the obvious address.
Posting this address in clear text is just the "on" switch for spambots, but here is a hint.

Option the Second:
Find us on Facebook, in the magnificent
Umah Thurman Midget Circus
Join up there, or just drop the modmins a message. They will pass any request on to the Administerrerrerr for this place.

ALL I WANT IS A PROPER CUP OF COFFEE

A forum for the off topic stuff. Everything from religion to philosophy to sex to humor (see why it used to be called Buggery?). All manner of rude psychological abuse is welcome and encouraged.
Jaeger
Baron von Scrapple

ALL I WANT IS A PROPER CUP OF COFFEE

Post by Jaeger » Tue Jul 08, 2014 7:38 pm

Gods, I love the Italians.
NPR wrote:...the space-age coffee machine — called, naturally the "ISSpresso" — is a capsule-based brewing system. It's similar in principle to a Keurig machine. But engineers at the Italian aerospace firm Argotec, along with coffee company Lavazza and the Italian space agency, ASI, finessed it to function in a microgravity environment.

Just when did space get so hipster? First they the start growing their own salad and vegetables up there, and now they've got fancy coffee — what's next, a microbrewery on Mars?

But mainly, we wondered — why is it so complicated to make coffee on the ISS? To help answer that question, we called up Vickie Kloeris, the manager of the NASA Space Food Systems Laboratory.

"You can't just send a regular espresso machine to orbit and expect it to work," she says. Here on Earth, coffee machines depend heavily on gravity, she explains. But on the ISS, there's only a minuscule amount of gravity — called microgravity. So everything floats.

The biggest challenge is figuring out how to keep the scalding water inside the espresso machine contained, Kloeris says. Everything has to be sealed, secure and safe.

These extra bells and whistles make the ISSpresso weigh over 40 pounds, according to Avino. The plan is to send the machine up to the ISS with Italian astronaut Samantha Cristoforetti next year.

Initially, the machine will come with only 20 single-serve coffee capsules. "Our machine is still an experiment," Avino says. If all goes well, he says, the machine could become a permanent addition to the space station

LINK TO NPR STORY

According to NASA: "Today, it costs $10,000 to put a pound of payload in Earth orbit."

Notice that we (the US) were up there for years. So were the Ruskis, et al... but NOBODY bothered to figure out how to make an even passable cup of coffee in space... until the Italians just couldn't take it any more, I guess.

This demonstrates two things:

1) Why Italy is so beautiful, and how her people generally so full of life, ready to enjoy it! Nobody else had the good goddamn sense to recognize the necessity for a decent fucking cup of coffee? I can think of a few members here who would fucking expire were it not for regular (nay, constant) doses.

2) Why Italy is fucking broke.

--Jaeger

Bigshankhank wrote:The world is a fucking wreck, but there is still sunshine in some places. Go outside and look for it.
<<NEUTIQUAM ERRO>>
2018 Indian Scout -- "Lilah"

calamari kid
Ayatollah of Mayhem

Re: ALL I WANT IS A PROPER CUP OF COFFEE

Post by calamari kid » Tue Jul 08, 2014 7:49 pm

Ok, half way there. Call me when they get that brewery up and running.
"Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon." -Honda manual circa 1962

"Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba...." -Hunter S Thompson

"A psychotic is a guy who's just found out what's going on." -William S. Burroughs

2XSL
Maltov Rattlecan

Post by 2XSL » Wed Jul 09, 2014 8:26 am

wuts wrong w freeze dried coffee?

DerGolgo
Zaphod's Zeitgeist

Post by DerGolgo » Wed Jul 09, 2014 8:38 am

2XSL wrote:wuts wrong w freeze dried coffee?
you did not just ask that.
YOU DID NOT JUST ASK THAT!
That's a joke. For goodness sake, tell me that's a joke!

It's pointless arguing about taste, but you'd be the first person I ever heard compare that freeze dried mouse-dung to actual coffee and find it an adequate substitute.
Because it is not.
It's margarine vs. butter. It's powdered milk vs. actual milk.
That instant crap is, at best, a one-time emergency substitute. Not even for when you've run out of actual coffee for the day, but when you've run out and can't restock for a few weeks and have already gone coffee-less for a day or so.
You may like it, it may be nice enough for you, that's fine and legitimate. But I cannot for the life of me imagine how someone can taste real coffee, be it a nice espresso or a cappucino or just entirely regular coffee, made with a filter and all. I cannot for the life of me imagine how someone can taste the symphony of flavors and aromas, that anthem to the taste-buds that even a mediocre cup of actual coffee is and not immediately rend their garments and curse the lord for letting them waste their life with that freeze dried dung.

I used to drink that freeze dried muck myself. But I always knew it was crap and I was just getting my caffeine dose there, not the actual pleasures to be had in a cup of actual coffee. Maybe I've become a snob since, but not finding that freeze dried rat's scrotum-hair an affront against all things caffeinated, how one may tolerate it, even in the absence of alternatives, it is literally beyond my realm of experience, beyond my comprehension.
If there were absolutely anything to be afraid of, don't you think I would have worn pants?

I said I have a big stick.

calamari kid
Ayatollah of Mayhem

Post by calamari kid » Wed Jul 09, 2014 8:42 am

"Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon." -Honda manual circa 1962

"Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba...." -Hunter S Thompson

"A psychotic is a guy who's just found out what's going on." -William S. Burroughs

Bo_9
Ayatollah of Mayhem
Location: Filthy little worn-out, broken down, see through soul.

Post by Bo_9 » Wed Jul 09, 2014 9:17 am

It's conversations like this that make me happy I never started the coffee habit.
Almost off caffeine completely. Now if I have a second soda in a day I'm so wired it isn't fun.
When an old man dies a library burns...

"Every accident involving machinery begins with a single defect. Never forget that defect can be between your ears." - E.J. Potter
"I feel like I'm in "my little pony" HELL!!!!" -Goose
"Well, he never ever smiled, but he always seemed pleased."
"keep about your wits, Know yourself and who you came in with"

DerGolgo
Zaphod's Zeitgeist

Post by DerGolgo » Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:12 am

Straight edge mon!
But since I switched from just getting my caffeine-fix to actually enjoying a nice cuppa, I myself have come to understand decaf. Some people may actually not like caffeine. But the aroma of a nice cup of coffee ...
If there were absolutely anything to be afraid of, don't you think I would have worn pants?

motorpsycho67
Double-dip Diogenes

Post by motorpsycho67 » Wed Jul 09, 2014 2:33 pm

DerGolgo wrote:
you did not just ask that.
YOU DID NOT JUST ASK THAT!

Par for the course....
'75 Honda CB400F
'82 Kawalski GPz750
etc.

wheezy e
Barista of Doom

Post by wheezy e » Sat Jul 12, 2014 4:58 am

I did a month long diet experiment thing a while back, sort of a "cleanse" so to speak. I felt awesome, slept like a baby but also learned what i already knew, that life without a quality cup of coffee is no life at all. More akin to being undead than actually alive.
I had no idea the extent of the sacrifices our brave astronauts had to endure all these years. And honestly, uncovering the hidden workings of the universe, probing the mysteries of existence, time, life, consciousness.... what for if only to suffer such horror upon waking? I understand that life is about neither comfort nor convenience. If one is to live fully, to really accept the challenge that being human begs of us, one must put to the side all matters of physical desire - the Buddha said we must embrace our suffering, the Christ said to give no thought to what we shall eat or drink. But I say that nobody has ever truly gazed into the abyss, never fully considered the whole wieght of non-being and nothingness from which he came and shall return to realize the incredible joy and lightness of being that has not stared at his own face reflected from the black depths of a cup of french roast, raised it to his lips and felt full power of creation course through his veins.
All proceeds go to help cripple children.

DerGolgo
Zaphod's Zeitgeist

Post by DerGolgo » Sat Jul 12, 2014 5:21 am

NotTheFrontPage is NotGettingCrowded.
Because ^^that^^ was too beautiful not to throw up there!

wheezy e
Barista of Doom

Post by wheezy e » Sat Jul 12, 2014 12:47 pm

nice, thanks!
All proceeds go to help cripple children.

motorpsycho67
Double-dip Diogenes

Post by motorpsycho67 » Sat Jul 12, 2014 2:29 pm

Eh.... I prefer tea
'75 Honda CB400F
'82 Kawalski GPz750
etc.

greasy
Will Riot For Gum

Post by greasy » Wed Jul 30, 2014 9:57 am

Tea for me as well. Coffee is a big expensive production. You need machines and it's messy as hell. Tea is easy, works, and tastes less like dirt.

But i know not many agree with me. I just never developed the jones.
motorcycles.

DerGolgo
Zaphod's Zeitgeist

Post by DerGolgo » Wed Jul 30, 2014 10:42 am

greasy wrote: You need machines and it's messy as hell. Tea is easy, works, and tastes less like dirt.
Yes, those machines are messy, and what comes out does taste like dirt.
Of course, some machines are better than others. I've found this sort of coffee machine to work best:

You put the filter and the coffee in, the whole thing goes right on top of the pot. You pour the hot water in (ideally, all in one quick pour). You wait till it's gone through. The mess is the used filter and grounds, which go in the bin anyway.
Tastes better than coffee made with a percolator or a pad machine, IMHO.

guitargeek
Master Metric Necromancer

Post by guitargeek » Wed Jul 30, 2014 1:06 pm

French press, guys. If your coffee tastes like dirt, you're doing it wrong.
Elitist, arrogant, intolerant, self-absorbed.
Midliferider wrote:Wish I could wipe this shit off my shoes but it's everywhere I walk. Dang.
Pattio wrote:Never forget, as you enjoy the high road of tolerance, that it is those of us doing the hard work of intolerance who make it possible for you to shine.
xtian wrote:Sticking feathers up your butt does not make you a chicken

Zim
Ayatollah of Mayhem

Post by Zim » Wed Jul 30, 2014 6:04 pm

I've been having great results with an Aeropress. Smooth and rich.

"Every time I start thinking the world is all bad, then I start seeing some people having a good time on motorcycles... it makes me take another look." --Steve McQueen

12ci
Ayatollah of Mayhem

Post by 12ci » Thu Jul 31, 2014 7:59 pm

i luv my Bialetti

today you decide what tomorrow will bring

2XSL
Maltov Rattlecan

Post by 2XSL » Fri Aug 01, 2014 8:43 am

i still think astonuats should be tough enough for instant coffee

motorpsycho67
Double-dip Diogenes

Post by motorpsycho67 » Fri Aug 01, 2014 7:43 pm

Zim wrote:I've been having great results with an Aeropress. Smooth and rich.

I have one of those..... for the extremely rare ocassion when I want coffee.
'75 Honda CB400F
'82 Kawalski GPz750
etc.

Jaeger
Baron von Scrapple

Post by Jaeger » Fri Aug 01, 2014 8:04 pm

2XSL wrote:i still think astonuats should be tough enough for instant coffee
:shock:

--Jaeger
Bigshankhank wrote:The world is a fucking wreck, but there is still sunshine in some places. Go outside and look for it.
<<NEUTIQUAM ERRO>>

SidVicious
Barista of Doom

Post by SidVicious » Sun Nov 09, 2014 12:00 pm

Best cup of coffee I've had in recent memory was at IHOP. omg, it was nearly an epiphany. One sip and heavenly music could be heard as the clouds parted, shooting down a beam of white light upon the mug in front of me.
Hell is waking up every goddamn day and not even knowing why you're here -Marv

Nothing beats a hangover like kitten love -guitargeek

Pintgudge
The Big Oooola

Post by Pintgudge » Mon Jan 12, 2015 8:03 pm

Sid, I have had coffee at a restaurant that tasted so good I had to ask about it. They said it was Douwe Egbert's brand with its own machine and everything. A squirt of syrup in the cup filled the rest of the way with hot water and it was the best.

The other day I was looking at coffee shop menus and one had "cold brewed coffee" I used my Google fu and it is so easy and so good.

Take a two liter empty soda bottle, rinse, put in four cups room temperature water, and one and three quarter cups of coarsly ground coffee. I used French roast. Put on the cap, shake and let sit for twelve hours. Then I put it in my french press to filter it, and stored it in a glass bottle. They suggest you use a paper filter too but I didn't. Mix 1/3 syrup to 2/3 boiling water and try it out!

This is so good! It has a full, rich flavor. Almost sweet, but not really. Not the slightest hint of bitter or sour.
French roast is an excellent blend, but I think this method would improve any kind.

G. G., I agree about the French press being the best way to have coffee. Until now. Please give it a try.

They did science on it and found a lower acidity than regular coffee brewed with steam or boiling water, and a lower amount of caffeine too. They say to keep the syrup in the fridge for up to three weeks.

I hope someone will try this so you will know that I am not hallucinating,(not that there is anything wrong with that), and just because I want to share the goodness!
If man is fit to be governed, is any man fit to govern?

These are the days of miracles and wonder!

'81 Goldwing Standard w/'61 Ural Sidecar

'06 Bajaj Chetak

DerGolgo
Zaphod's Zeitgeist

Post by DerGolgo » Tue Jan 13, 2015 12:52 am

^^ ... darn it, now I want to try that!! Thank you!

Jaeger
Baron von Scrapple

Post by Jaeger » Tue Jan 13, 2015 7:44 am

Hrm, yeah, gotta check that out!

--Jaeger
<<NEUTIQUAM ERRO>>

Toonce(s)
Asshat Spambot

Post by Toonce(s) » Tue Jan 13, 2015 8:22 am

Pintgudge wrote: ...
They did science on it and found a lower acidity than regular coffee brewed with steam or boiling water, and a lower amount of caffeine too.
I hope someone will try this so you will know that I am not hallucinating,(not that there is anything wrong with that), and just because I want to share the goodness!
Ohhh yeah. This stuff which I have found recently is seriously the shit.

I'm going to have to try the above method to see if I can get close to it. Chameleon has the taste you are describing, and also seriously high caffeine levels.
You said the caffeine was low on the soda bottle method. Is that something you are going for? Is there some remedy for this?
It's a stack of fuck-shit on top of itself, Ninja.

motorpsycho67
Double-dip Diogenes

Post by motorpsycho67 » Tue Jan 13, 2015 12:14 pm

As I mentioned earlier, I'm not much of a coffee drinker, but I've recently discovered Stumptown coffee with milk that comes in a small carton. Pretty damn good...... and all I had to do was plunk down $4 at Whole Foods for it. Yeah, I know.... a bit pricey, but wth...
'75 Honda CB400F
'82 Kawalski GPz750
etc.

Pintgudge
The Big Oooola

Post by Pintgudge » Tue Jan 13, 2015 5:09 pm

"Information about caffeine content of cold versus hot brewed coffee is contradictory. Some say cold brewed has less, others say it has the same amount. Since caffeine is soluble in water and its solubility is increased by heat, it may seem that cold brewed would have less caffeine. However, as a cold brew steeps in its room temperature bath for a good 12-24 hours, plenty of caffeine may have a chance to eek out. Toddy, maker of a cold brewing appliance, has conducted a side-by-side study that shows cold brew is 30% lower in caffeine than coffee extracted with heat"

This is from Augusta Free Press, Ann Buzzelli.

Also in her article there was a mention of Arabic vs. Robusto type of coffee beans, with the Robusto variety being much less expensive and having a much higher caffeine content and often being used as a filler in a coffee blend.

I don't need caffeine as a drug. I do like the flavor of coffee. I normally drink between four to eight cups a day at work and have no trouble sleeping as long as I quit by 2:00 p.m. (I wake at 4:00 a.m. and sleep at 8:00 p.m.)
On vacation or weekends, I may not drink it at all, and have no withdrawal effects.

Maybe the Chamelion coffee uses the Robusto beans?
If man is fit to be governed, is any man fit to govern?

These are the days of miracles and wonder!

'81 Goldwing Standard w/'61 Ural Sidecar

'06 Bajaj Chetak

12ci
Ayatollah of Mayhem

Post by 12ci » Tue Jan 13, 2015 8:21 pm

i have a cold brew unit from filtron somewhere in storage, unless the wife finally donated it to charity. we tried it for a while, a maybe 10 years ago, after one of my coffesnob colleagues raved about it. we went back to the Chemex. right now we're quite happy with a melitta mill & brew unit (except i busted the 10cup carafe, and am now forced to use a four cup carafe {which is adequate for the two of us, but it makes entertaining a bit awkward...})
today you decide what tomorrow will bring

Jk33
Pin Puller

Post by Jk33 » Fri May 15, 2015 5:49 am

I'm with you Weezy. Life without coffee is a bit dimmer for me. This is for lots of reasons. I'll say it's a productivity thing. Caffeine calms me down, helps my mind focus for those times when I need long periods of concentration. I'll say I love the ritual of it. The water on the boil. Pouring it over the press. The deep rich smell and the steam from the cup. The weight and heat of the cup in your hands. That first sip. But if I'm being honest, I get headaches if I don't have my first cup by noon. I used to work at a Wilderness Program in North Georgia where the shifts were 8 days of backcountry hiking. If I screwed up and forgot my coffee press, the first three days were miserable, angry, white hot headsplitters, followed by 2-3 days of grumpy and irritable, and a mental jonesing for a cup the rest of the week. When I got out, I eagerly ran back into physical dependency, promising to never to be so foolish as to forget my press again. I've got a 64oz+ a day habit. Coffee is my deep addiction and that's why I love it so much. I had a friend once tell me to never trust a man without a vice.
"You can't wait for inspiration, you have to go after it with a club."
-Jack London

Bigshankhank
Fully Autonomous Cock-Puncher

Post by Bigshankhank » Fri May 15, 2015 7:04 am

1st task of my day, even before I put my lunch in the fridge, is to fire up the coffee pot. Then I get settled in while it brews, and have a cup while reading the news. Winter is the worst, Ill put down at least a pot by myself each day keeping warm, so much so that in the spring I'll typically go cold turkey for a week or two (until those headaches quit) so that I can regain a normal sleep cycle and stop pissing so much. Addiction is a bitch.
It's time for Humankind to ditch the imaginary friends of our species' childhood and grow the fuck up.
-Davros

"Lasse mich deine Seele dem Herrscher der Finsternis opfern"

Let me sacrifice your soul to the ruler of darkness

Always carry a bottle of whiskey when you travel in case of a snakebite. Futhermore, always carry a small snake.