PLEASE LOGIN TO SEE ANYTHING.
This measure is inconvenient, yes, but necessary at present.
Click below for more information.

2024 LOGIN/Posting ISSUES
Click if you have a problem.
Show

If you cannot Debauch because you get an IP blacklist error, try Debauching a second time. Someone is overzealous at our hosting company, but only on the first attempt.

If you have problems logging in, posting, or doing anything else, please get in touch.
You know the email (if you don't, see in the registration info below), you know where to find the Administerrerrerr on the Midget Circus.

Some unpleasant miscreant was firing incessant database queries at our server, which forced the Legal Department of our hosting company, via their Abuse subdivision, to shut us down. No I have none.
All I can do it button the hatches, and tighten up a few things. Such as time limits on how long you may take to compose a post and hit Debauch! As of 24/01/10, I've set that at 30 minutes for now.

To restrict further overloads, any unregistered users had to be locked out.
How do we know who is or isn't an unregistered user?
By forcing anyone who wants in to Log In.
Is that annoying?
Yes. But there's only so much the Administerrerrerr can do to keep this place running.

Again, if you have any problems: get in touch.

REGISTRATION! NEW USERS!
Registration Information
Show
Automatic registration is disabled for security reasons.
But fear not!
You can register!

Option the First:
Please drop our fearless Administerrerrerr a line.
Tell him who you are, that you wish to join, and what you wish your username to be. The Administerrerrerr will get back to you. If you're human, and you're not a damn spammer, expect a reply within 24 hoursish. Usually quicker, rarely slower.

Unfortunately, the Contact Form is being a total primadonna right now, so please send an email to the obvious address.
Posting this address in clear text is just the "on" switch for spambots, but here is a hint.

Option the Second:
Find us on Facebook, in the magnificent
Umah Thurman Midget Circus
Join up there, or just drop the modmins a message. They will pass any request on to the Administerrerrerr for this place.

Massive life changes... Advice from motorcycle miscreants

A forum for the off topic stuff. Everything from religion to philosophy to sex to humor (see why it used to be called Buggery?). All manner of rude psychological abuse is welcome and encouraged.
Mk3
Captain Sensible, Space Command.
Location: The people's republic of Illinois Welcome comrade, join the party!

Massive life changes... Advice from motorcycle miscreants

Post by Mk3 » Fri Aug 05, 2016 6:54 am

Here's the background:

I'm out of the air force, I have a job with an elevator company as a project manager.  Training for 6-10months at part pay (about 70 % of standard) then pick up and go with good pay check and okay benefits.  Fairly stable work, good market, decent career prospect as an industry.  I can do this without over extending myself.

Then Fermi Labs called me back....

Operations Manager for the Sanford Underground Research Facility... Looking for dark matter.  Final interview would be soon, and I have a better than average shot of getting picked up.  It's 1/2 time in Chi, half time in SURF (SoDak).  Pay probably fine, stable, in my wheelhouse, academically and professionally challenging, taps lifelong scientific ambitions.  But I'll miss soccer games and science fairs and other kid things, but I'll miss them for DARK MATTER.

Bottom lines, I want to be a happy human. The things at ends are home-time stability vs ambition... Kid time availability, vs part of something Bigger. Time to wander to casa rench and drink, or make a mark on the world, and maybe even further.
I know this is ultimately my call, but I'm a "data guy" and this place is a decent source of unfiltered diverse advice.

"...when someone asks you if you're a god, you say "YES "!

"UTMC, it's an international disorganization of racers, aficionados, mechanics, lunatics, and scumbags. It's like an online motorcycle Mos Eisley."

Bigshankhank
Fully Autonomous Cock-Puncher

Re: Massive life changes... Advice from motorcycle miscreant

Post by Bigshankhank » Fri Aug 05, 2016 9:09 am

Choose anything other than working for an elevator company. Seriously I deal with those prima-donna shitbags regularly (I'm a general contractor), and they rank just slightly above Motivational Speakers on a scale of worthless subhumans.
If it were me, sounds like Fermi would be a hell of a lot more engaging personally and professionally, and if you are fulfilled in your work your home life will benefit from having a happier father.
Good luck!
It's time for Humankind to ditch the imaginary friends of our species' childhood and grow the fuck up.
-Davros

"Lasse mich deine Seele dem Herrscher der Finsternis opfern"

Let me sacrifice your soul to the ruler of darkness

Always carry a bottle of whiskey when you travel in case of a snakebite. Futhermore, always carry a small snake.

red
Yap. Doomed for all eternity.

Post by red » Fri Aug 05, 2016 9:16 am

Tough call. Family Moments vs Science Moments. How flexible would Fermi be about scooting out of NoDak back to Chi for big family moments? Is it a set 50/50 split between the two locations? As in will you miss all the soccer games or just a few? How does your spawn feel about science?

If I had a Dad around when I was a kid but he was gone part of the time to do something that cool, I would be ok with it and feel proud about what he did.
Proud Survivor From Thread Hole 64 Campaign
1987 CBR600F Hurricane Sprawl Bike
-=High Tech / Low Life=-

Zim
Ayatollah of Mayhem

Post by Zim » Fri Aug 05, 2016 9:19 am

You're asking the Underground Terrorist Motorcycle Cult.
"Every time I start thinking the world is all bad, then I start seeing some people having a good time on motorcycles... it makes me take another look." --Steve McQueen

MATPOC
The Unreasonable Ukranian

Post by MATPOC » Fri Aug 05, 2016 9:29 am

tough call, did you ask your kid?

Hengry
Pin Puller

Post by Hengry » Fri Aug 05, 2016 9:46 am

Very tough call. First let me say, I have a friend at Fermi and he's always worried about budget and getting laid off. I'm sure it would be totally different projects, I've never had a dark matter convo with him in regards to work, and maybe congress likes funding dark matter projects, but there's something to think about. As for the little guy, quality will always matter way more than quantity. Even when it comes to time. I love my Dad, would do anything for him. I have no hard feeling about him from childhood. That said, the truth is he was also away a lot, but more than that when he was home he mostly needed to rest and recharge and that did not often include doing stuff with the kids. We did do cool stuff on occasion sure, but I'd say majority of time he wanted us to leave him alone. Now a days we've got technology to keep us in touch over distances and so long as your dedicated to making the most out of the 50% you're home....I don't see a big red flag in following your dreams. Dark Matter. Just Wow. Not saying there won't be some rough patches to get through but I totally believe you can do it.

nate
Maltov Rattlecan

Post by nate » Fri Aug 05, 2016 10:04 am

Bigshankhank wrote:Choose anything other than working for an elevator company. Seriously I deal with those prima-donna shitbags regularly (I'm a general contractor), and they rank just slightly above Motivational Speakers on a scale of worthless subhumans.
This, Especially if it's with Otis.
And he thought that, had he been wearing his guns, he may well have drawn one and put a bullet into her cold and whoring little heart.

DerGolgo
Zaphod's Zeitgeist

Post by DerGolgo » Fri Aug 05, 2016 10:53 am

I'll 2nd brother MATPOC. Ask the kid. Don't let him decide, and certainly don't give him the impression that it's his decision (just in case it don't work out, so he won't feel guilty and stuff).

My father was out from about sunrise till after sunset during the 80s, so I didn't get to see him a lot, and he'd be out Mon-Fri during the 90s.
Any time he was at home during these two decades, he'd work. I barely got to know him before this century, and indeed, that sucked balls.
A significant part of that suckage was that, even when he was home, he wouldn't have time for me.
I'm sure that, especially with modern technology, your lad won't suffer from his dad following a dream. That's practically what Skype was made for.
Though I'd qualify: As long as you make sure to spend quality time with him when you're home. And maybe take him along and show him around the underground secret laboratory (it's underground, so it's secret, period) one in a while.

Also, if you work in an industry with a reputation as Hank suggests, there's a chance you won't much enjoy your job.
That chance is real anywhere, including Fermilab, obviously.
But with "Operations Manager Sanford Underground Research Facility, FermiLab, searching for Dark Matter" in your resume, I'd suspect you'd have a LOT more options than "Project Manager for installing machines that take people up and down in buildings."
Compared to "Captain, Space Command, USAF", dealing with elevators and elevator related projects sounds like a step down. Tearing the mask off of nature to stare into the face of god, though, that'd have some continuity.

Most importantly:
Keep in mind that I have no kids, no degree, no job-training and no social skills, either, so my opinion on this situation should be considered with ... well, with that in mind.
If there were absolutely anything to be afraid of, don't you think I would have worn pants?

I said I have a big stick.

Jaeger
Baron von Scrapple

Post by Jaeger » Fri Aug 05, 2016 11:32 am

Mk3 wrote: I'm out of the air force...

Then Fermi Labs called me back.... Operations Manager for the Sanford Underground Research Facility... Looking for dark matter.  ...

Bottom lines, I want to be a happy human. The things at ends are home-time stability vs ambition... Kid time availability, vs part of something Bigger.
Ooh. Oh my. That's a tough one.

First, congratulations of regaining ownership of your own ass. Getting away from Uncle Sam's clutches is a Good Thing, especially given current circumstances... :shock:

As for the question: While I hesitate to even answer because there are so many variables that I don't know... my inclination would be to go for it. Here's why:

1) It is not necessarily forever. I don't how old your kids are, but assuming they're reasonably young (you're younger than me, right?) the circumstances will likely change and you'll have time. It will also likely open more opportunities down the road than working at an elevator company.

2) Your kid(s) will be proud of you. I mean, for fuckssakes, "My dad works for the elevator company" vs. "Yeah, my dad is an atomic physicist experimenting with dark matter." Duh.

3) You'll appreciate home more when you're there. As someone who works from home and has waaay more time with his kids than most working dads, I GOTTA GET THE FUCK OUT OF HERE PLEASE HELP ME.

[media]https://youtu.be/XzuC8B46N_w[/media]

4) It is more likely to make you happy. Working in a wage-slave job to pay the bills sucks (ask me how I know). Being happy will make you a better father for when you're around your kids. When I'm a basket case due to work I'm a shitty dad, just like my dad was to me.

Like I said, this is based solely on what little I know about your situation, but if you think the kids (and Mrs.?) can be ok with it I'd give it a go. If it doesn't work or one party is going crazy you can change it.

YMMV

--Jaeger
Bigshankhank wrote:The world is a fucking wreck, but there is still sunshine in some places. Go outside and look for it.
<<NEUTIQUAM ERRO>>
2018 Indian Scout -- "Lilah"

Mk3

Post by Mk3 » Fri Aug 05, 2016 11:56 am

Responding from phone, so short hand:

Schindler's lifts not Otis.

I'd set the 50/50 but roughly 2wks on/off

I thought nuclear weapons sounded really cool too, then i got there, and it sucked radioactive donkey balls.

The folks at Schindler are really cool so far, mostly former military O's, and I fit right in with the sarcasm and the Buells.

I'm still just interviewing w/Fermi but based this and other considerations, I think if I get an offer I'll take it (holy fuck, what an I getting myself into this time, and what happened to my good decision making synapses)

"UTMC, it's an international disorganization of racers, aficionados, mechanics, lunatics, and scumbags. It's like an online motorcycle Mos Eisley."

Bigshankhank

Post by Bigshankhank » Fri Aug 05, 2016 12:21 pm

Mk3 wrote:...

Schindler's lifts not Otis.

...or Thyssen/Krupp, it doesn't make much difference unless it's a genuine Wonka-vator.

In all honesty, I know a good elevator tech or PM can make some big bucks, but there will likely be a lot of travel (how many new elevators do you think are being installed locally on a daily basis?) so consider that.
It's time for Humankind to ditch the imaginary friends of our species' childhood and grow the fuck up.
-Davros

Always carry a bottle of whiskey when you travel in case of a snakebite. Futhermore, always carry a small snake.

Rench
the Harm in Harmony

Post by Rench » Fri Aug 05, 2016 12:24 pm

The Renchita flipped the fuck out when you left last night, "WHERES MY DOG!?!?!?!" So if you could get the job that involves fucking off half the time so our progeny can share custody on the curr, that would be greeeeeaaaat...

-Rench
"I'm not a schemer..."

"Do you know why it's illegal to put gasoline in a glass container?" - Piccinni

guitargeek
Master Metric Necromancer

Post by guitargeek » Fri Aug 05, 2016 1:15 pm

Fermi.
Elitist, arrogant, intolerant, self-absorbed.
Midliferider wrote:Wish I could wipe this shit off my shoes but it's everywhere I walk. Dang.
Pattio wrote:Never forget, as you enjoy the high road of tolerance, that it is those of us doing the hard work of intolerance who make it possible for you to shine.
xtian wrote:Sticking feathers up your butt does not make you a chicken

DerGolgo
Zaphod's Zeitgeist

Post by DerGolgo » Fri Aug 05, 2016 1:35 pm

Mk3 wrote: I thought nuclear weapons sounded really cool too, then i got there, and it sucked radioactive donkey balls.
Consider this.
If you work at the elevator place, you'll possibly just be "the new guy who thinks he's the bee's knees coz' he worked with atom bombs".

If you go to Fermi ... once upon a time, there weren't a lot of nuclear physicists in the world. Your side of the pond, approximately most of them ended up working on the Manhattan Project. And a lot of them later became biologists because of it.
You'll be the one ... who clambered from the pit of unspeakable horrors. Out of the dark place, and into the light of pure science. They'll know, if they talk to you about a fast neutron, or a beta-decay, or a reaction cross section, you'll actually understand what they're saying ... in a way that's not entirely comfortable ...
You could be the dark, cool kid, with a shady past he ain't allowed to talk about ... or people with guns come kicking down the doors ...
And if anyone tries to intimidate you with what impressive stuff they work out in their theories, what's going on at the center of a star or a black hole, what terrifying forces ... you can just tell them you used to arrange the nuts and bolts to end all human civilization in an afternoon. In a fireworks show that'd render the entire planet a hot, lifeless rock. Glowing mildly while a few sattelites, space-probes and junk on the moon would be the only testament anyone there had ever studied any black holes or stars at all.
If there were absolutely anything to be afraid of, don't you think I would have worn pants?

Mk3

Post by Mk3 » Fri Aug 05, 2016 1:41 pm

DerGolgo wrote:
Mk3 wrote: I thought nuclear weapons sounded really cool too, then i got there, and it sucked radioactive donkey balls.
Consider this.
If you work at the elevator place, you'll possibly just be "the new guy who thinks he's the bee's knees coz' he worked with atom bombs".

If you go to Fermi ... once upon a time, there weren't a lot of nuclear physicists in the world. Your side of the pond, approximately most of them ended up working on the Manhattan Project. And a lot of them later became biologists because of it.
You'll be the one ... who clambered from the pit of unspeakable horrors. Out of the dark place, and into the light of pure science. They'll know, if they talk to you about a fast neutron, or a beta-decay, or a reaction cross section, you'll actually understand what they're saying ... in a way that's not entirely comfortable ...
You could be the dark, cool kid, with a shady past he ain't allowed to talk about ... or people with guns come kicking down the doors ...
And if anyone tries to intimidate you with what impressive stuff they work out in their theories, what's going on at the center of a star or a black hole, what terrifying forces ... you can just tell them you used to arrange the nuts and bolts to end all human civilization in an afternoon. In a fireworks show that'd render the entire planet a hot, lifeless rock. Glowing mildly while a few testaments, space-probes and junk on the moon would be the only testament anyone there had ever studied any black holes or stars at all.

This rock will never be lifeless, we just won't be on it anymore.--edit, of course it will eventually be lifeless, but we aren't cool enough as a species to make it happen.

DerGolgo
Zaphod's Zeitgeist

Post by DerGolgo » Fri Aug 05, 2016 3:43 pm

EDIT: This here is the inevitable thread-jack, for which I apologize. Ignore and move along unless you're interested in the end of all life on the surface of this planet.
Mk3 wrote: This rock will never be lifeless, we just won't be on it anymore.--edit, of course it will eventually be lifeless, but we aren't cool enough as a species to make it happen.
It hasn't been such a big deal, what with the cold war being over (ha!). But a few years back, I read about what climatologists found when they pondered what would come after the nuclear winter.
When the soot settles down ... but so many things got burned up in the nuclear war, the CO2 level is a couple of times what it is now.
All that biomass from organisms that died and decayed during the nuclear winter. Pretty big deal of surface-dwelling flora and fauna, dead, decaying. Releasing megatons of methane. A very bad greenhouse gas.
The polar ice, and ice on the lower latitudes, melting in a hurry. Severely increased evaporation puts more and more water into the atmosphere. Fun fact: water is actually a pretty severe greenhouse gas.
Rising temperatures melt the permafrost, methane trapped underground therein is released.

The estimate I recall was that, a century or two after a nuclear war, earth's atmosphere would start resembling that of Venus. Where Tin will melt ...

Not quite as likely as a nuclear war, according to Wikipedia. But after an all-out wargasm-style style exchange with tens of thousands of nukes, it's possible, we can do it.

AZRider
"I said THREE motorcycles worth of Fuck You!"

Post by AZRider » Fri Aug 05, 2016 7:53 pm

Applying for a job with the elevator company in six months saying "That laboratory thing didn't really work out I think I will do better with you guys" is much more likely to have a happy ending than applying to Fermilab saying that six months at the elevator company didn't work out. Elevators are not your passion, so if you leave Fermi and wind up at an outboard motor company instead, it's not like you passed up the job you dearly want.
Do the cool thing. Some potential future employers won't know what to make of your resume and will choose the candidate who is predictably on path. You don't really want to work for them anyway.
The tricky part is the absent dad part, and I know how important it is to you. You know what his living arrangements will be when you are away, so you know whether he will be well cared for on the away weeks. You know how the little guy handles stress better than any of us, so you have a clue how this would affect him.
As many above have said, a big part of being a good dad is coming home with the best of yourself available to share. I imagine that you will come home more fully the man you want to be if you choose science.
"Motorcycles are made of three kinds of materials: various metals, various plastics, and Fuck You. The trick is to design and build them with the right proportion and distribution of these three materials."
"--Really.. I AM a nice guy by preference. I do, however, have other options." - Merlyn

Mk3

Post by Mk3 » Fri Sep 23, 2016 5:41 am

I am now (as of 17 October) the Operations Coordinator for the Sanford Underground Research Facility, the prince of Nerd Mountain. Signed the offer last night, let the sciencing commence!

Bo_9
Ayatollah of Mayhem
Location: Filthy little worn-out, broken down, see through soul.

Post by Bo_9 » Fri Sep 23, 2016 6:07 am

Kick ass sir!
When an old man dies a library burns...

"Every accident involving machinery begins with a single defect. Never forget that defect can be between your ears." - E.J. Potter
"I feel like I'm in "my little pony" HELL!!!!" -Goose
"Well, he never ever smiled, but he always seemed pleased."
"keep about your wits, Know yourself and who you came in with"

Merlyn
Magnum Jihad

Post by Merlyn » Fri Sep 23, 2016 7:35 am

Mk3 wrote:I am now (as of 17 October) the Operations Coordinator for the Sanford Underground Research Facility, the prince of Nerd Mountain. Signed the offer last night, let the sciencing commence!
Congratulations!
- 2007 FXD/Dyna SuperGlide - Black Betty
- 1986 Intruder 700 - Work in Progress

Some days you can look to your left as you ride and see your Valkyrie- pacing you and waiting for her moment...
Days like that, the only appropriate reaction is to call out "Let's dance, beautiful!" and then twist the throttle to it's stop.

Remember, folks- Your vote means fuck-all. If voting could actually change anything it would have been outlawed long ago.
The only votes that mean anything in this day and age are made from rooftops.

red
Yap. Doomed for all eternity.

Post by red » Fri Sep 23, 2016 7:37 am

jangleplatz! Congrats!
Proud Survivor From Thread Hole 64 Campaign
1987 CBR600F Hurricane Sprawl Bike
-=High Tech / Low Life=-

Pintgudge
The Big Oooola

Post by Pintgudge » Fri Sep 23, 2016 9:48 am

Makes me happy to hear this!

Now you can do "Other" things with the building blocks of the universe, as opposed to what you used to do.

Yayyyy!
If man is fit to be governed, is any man fit to govern?

These are the days of miracles and wonder!

'81 Goldwing Standard w/'61 Ural Sidecar

'06 Bajaj Chetak

DerGolgo
Zaphod's Zeitgeist

Post by DerGolgo » Fri Sep 23, 2016 9:53 am

Good job, capital, adjective substantive-noun substantive-pronoun verb noun! Science for the win!!! WOOT!

guitargeek
Master Metric Necromancer

Post by guitargeek » Fri Sep 23, 2016 4:51 pm

Bitchin'!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sanford_U ... h_Facility" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Elitist, arrogant, intolerant, self-absorbed.
Midliferider wrote:Wish I could wipe this shit off my shoes but it's everywhere I walk. Dang.
Pattio wrote:Never forget, as you enjoy the high road of tolerance, that it is those of us doing the hard work of intolerance who make it possible for you to shine.
xtian wrote:Sticking feathers up your butt does not make you a chicken

rolly
Tim Horton hears a Who?

Post by rolly » Sat Sep 24, 2016 7:12 pm

All hail the prince of nerd mountain! HUZZAH!

Bigshankhank

Post by Bigshankhank » Sat Sep 24, 2016 7:57 pm

Fuckin'. A.
-Davros

Jaeger
Baron von Scrapple

Post by Jaeger » Sat Sep 24, 2016 8:34 pm

Hot damn. And South Dakota has some gorgeous roads I hear...

--Jaeger
Bigshankhank wrote:The world is a fucking wreck, but there is still sunshine in some places. Go outside and look for it.
<<NEUTIQUAM ERRO>>
2018 Indian Scout -- "Lilah"

Skkot
The pain maker go awayer!

Post by Skkot » Tue Sep 27, 2016 2:57 am

Hooray!
2004 R1150 GS PKM + 2002 R1150R Sidecarmachine
You can wipe your ass and blow your nose with the same wad of tissue, but blow your nose first.

califpete
Pin Puller

Post by califpete » Sun Jul 15, 2018 10:42 am

Acronym being SURF, I--as an old beach kid--approve.
Get yourself a Glock and lose that nickel-plated sissy pistol.