COVID-19 AND INTERESTING TIMES

Motorcycle news mah Brothahs and Sistahs! Read on or post your own.
red
Yap. Doomed for all eternity.

Re: COVID-19 AND INTERESTING TIMES

Post by red » Tue Mar 17, 2020 4:16 am

Jaeger wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 9:47 pm
Day Three (0100 EDT)

I had to yell at the Jägerkinder for going outside of our little fenced-in back yard during "afternoon recess." Some of our fuckwit neighbors were out playing in the cul-de-sac with their kids and letting them run rampant. They (neighbors) don't seem to grasp the gravity of what's going on -- even the one who's a nurse! Another one called the fuckin' ambulance on her kid Sunday night because he was in "respiratory distress." Sounds like he just has a cold -- waiting on the COVID test -- but... I mean COME THE FUCK ON!

--Jaeger

I had to have the same conversation with our oldest (6), about playing with the neighbor kids. Oddly enough, the kids across the street, who were playing and running all over, their mom is a nurse as well. I believe our oldest gets it, she's pretty science savvy, the other (3) is just happy she gets tablet time and doesn't have to go to school. With my work being so insane, we haven't really knuckled down a schedule and routine but if this is the end of the school year (as I bet it is), we'll have to get on the ball. Maybe start some outdoorsy, survival skills that are age appropriate.

I think we should absolutely be showing what it looks like in the trenches at Italian hospitals and elsewhere. Otherwise, some fucking people just won't get it.

DerGolgo
Zaphod's Zeitgeist

Post by DerGolgo » Tue Mar 17, 2020 6:51 am

Update re REINFECTION
pic2777893.jpg
My pharmacist informed me today that reported cases of reinfection weren't. Reinfections.
Turns out that, when those had been initially found virus-clear, someone had omitted to take, or to pay attention to, swaps from deep in the respiratory tract. The "reinfected" just had remained infectious the entire time, false negatives. At least that is what, according to my pharmacist, the industry press is reporting.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
If there were absolutely anything to be afraid of, don't you think I would have worn pants?

I said I have a big stick.

DerGolgo
Zaphod's Zeitgeist

Post by DerGolgo » Tue Mar 17, 2020 9:52 am

This world is just full of fucking twats.
I just overheard someone having a rather loud conversation on his phone at the tram stop. He fucking bragged that he hadn't washed his hands all week, since he's young so it's no danger to him, and any measures taken by anyone are ridiculous anyways. Fucker was younger than 20, I'd guess.
I don't want to imagine how many shitgibbons like that spread their filth all over the place.
If there were absolutely anything to be afraid of, don't you think I would have worn pants?

piccini9
Everybody dies. It's a love story.

Post by piccini9 » Tue Mar 17, 2020 11:17 am

Hi guys.
Adding pink and unicorns makes everything better.
-roadmissile

Treatment may include things like riding motorcycles and crocheting… whatever it takes to counteract the deleterious effects of existence. - Rolly

DerGolgo
Zaphod's Zeitgeist

Post by DerGolgo » Tue Mar 17, 2020 11:24 am

piccini9 wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 11:17 am
Hi guys.
Hi Pete!

xtian
Le coureur de lames chasse Tinti...

Post by xtian » Tue Mar 17, 2020 12:26 pm

This just in. we're in for a 3 weeks lockdown. tomorrow was the day I had planned a good long first warm ride after 5 month of hysterical work and winter. girlfriend had to keep going to work so far, she will probably keep going because someone has to take care of the lost kids she's dealing with and 60% of the staff called in sick. no more open stores other than food and pharmacists, anybody outside will have to motivate its presence by a need for food or medicine. I doubt that the urge for ONE good long warm ride will qualify. still probably a cheap price to pay for collective survival. I have zero idea of how many toilet paper rolls one needs for three weeks.
I'm not really from around here.

red

Post by red » Tue Mar 17, 2020 1:42 pm

We're now being limited to essential travel only (work, food, medicine) and groups of 10 + will be dispersed.

**edit**
I fully understand the reason for these limitations, it's just unnerving for it to be happening in real life.

DerGolgo
Zaphod's Zeitgeist

Post by DerGolgo » Tue Mar 17, 2020 11:58 pm

Everything that isn't a medical practice, a pharmacy, or a food store, is getting shut down. I have a cardiologist appointment today, just checked, I may come. After that, I will attempt an expedition to the big box store.
I love right over a major thoroughfare, and traffic this morning is at ~Saturday levels. F.
Hang in there, guys.

red

Post by red » Wed Mar 18, 2020 6:11 am

Rumor has it some items are getting restocked but pretty much picked clean immediately. I'll be trying to get more supplies tonight. With how people seem to be brushing off the proper distancing and sanitary guidelines, I'm gonna rock a bandanna over my face holes and gloves. I'm in this shit for the long haul, not gonna let some fucking idiot infect me or my family.

DerGolgo
Zaphod's Zeitgeist

Post by DerGolgo » Wed Mar 18, 2020 7:25 am

Took the bus to and from a doctor's appointment.
Normally, you're supposed to embark at the front, present your ticket to the driver (or buy one, or use the RFID thing), while the door(s) further back are only for disembarkation.
Presently, the door at the front won't even be opened. There is red-and-white tape strung across the center passage of the bus, to keep passengers from even getting near the driver. A little note asks passengers to buy their tickets elsewhere. I strongly suspect, though, that nobody is hunting for fare dodgers, presently.
Some more effed up stuff about the mass transit and checkout lines at the grocery store
Show
Fucked up is that nobody appears to be sure according to what timetable mass transit should be running. The real-time ETA screen at the bus and tram stop informed that a special timetable was available on the transit website. I went there and was slightly distressed to find that not only was my stop no longer on the timetable, nor were any within ~1 mile.
Somebody said the radio had reported that buses and trans would run according to the Saturdays timetable which, I was very relieved to find, they did. Still, had I not been told that, had I gone with the information as provided, I'd have had to call a taxi (still running).

On the way back from the doctor, I saw a passenger encounter a friend on the bus. They immediately sat down next to each other, and the one who had a surgical mask took it off. Saw some teenagers doing the high-five before sitting down next to each other, when there would have been more room for some social distancing. What part of "infection" and "pandemic" is too hard to grasp?

Went to a bigger grocery store today.
Where, normally, there's a big sign explaining how prohibited it is to take large bags beyond the entry gate. You're supposed to leave any large bags at the info desk. Not today. I could either leave it standing around where anyone could just grab it, or take it with me. I chose the latter, and nobody complained.

A few boxes of Kleenex brand tissues, and paper tissues in the plastic wrapping for in your pocket, those were the only paper products left.
I'm going through gloves quicker than I had anticipated and they had plenty of those. Even my size, which is rare, so I grabbed a box of them.
There was a couple going through the store, I encountered them twice I think, and she was literally going through the list of items that are the hoarder favorites. "Do we have flour?"
He rolled his eyes. I wonder how many people are now hoarding flour and will, in a few weeks or months (hopefully) be throwing it out since they never actually use flour? Or, who knows, if there is a food shortage after all, unleavened bread is gonna be big (the section with the baking-powder and other raising agents was well stocked, whoever is hoarding flour ain't hoarding that stuff).

I made the mistake of trying to get on a shorter line at checkout. Only to witness two men threatening each other with violence, over who's spot in the checkout line it was. Apparently, the markings on the floor, urging people to keep 1.5m (~5 ft.) apart, were a welcome excuse for someone to try and bump in.

The lines were all fairly slow, since customers were requested (by a loop on the PA system) to use the RFID debit-cards to pay, which everyone seemed to be doing (as did I).
Curiously, cashiers were not wearing gloves, and I saw one unscrewing the top of a bottle and having a good swig. Yeah, no, that's not how you stop a pandemic, that.
Thing that stood out today: advertising posters for the local brewery. Who's beers are very good (except one). However, when they planned their current advertising campaign, they made the unfortunate decision of using "togetherness" or "companionship" as the core motif.
Bummer. I hope people will maybe reach for their product as a substitute to togetherness. Not that I advocate for alcoholism. I just recommend drinking.

red

Post by red » Wed Mar 18, 2020 11:45 am

Bigshankhank
Fully Autonomous Cock-Puncher

Post by Bigshankhank » Wed Mar 18, 2020 11:53 am

Just got back from flying to Dallas, hauling a travel trailer to Nashville, driving the haul truck back to Dallas and flying back home. Social distancing by covering long distances on the road. Flights were a little drab worrying about getting too close to people, but on the plus side with so few people flying made for a lot of room to spread out.
It's time for Humankind to ditch the imaginary friends of our species' childhood and grow the fuck up.
-Davros

"Lasse mich deine Seele dem Herrscher der Finsternis opfern"

Let me sacrifice your soul to the ruler of darkness

Always carry a bottle of whiskey when you travel in case of a snakebite. Futhermore, always carry a small snake.

xtian

Post by xtian » Wed Mar 18, 2020 9:50 pm

with the risk of sounding out of tune, Social distancing and lockdowns are less motivated by the risk that you could be infected and die, than an effort to slow down the spread of the virus, including across healthy carriers - kids, mostly - or carriers who would only develop small symptoms, because a large and fast spread would also infect weaker patient and flood hospitals to the point where they wouldn't all be able to be treated (see Italy where they came to the point where they had to choose who to cure and who to just let die). Holland and UK seem to take the problem the other way around, and work on a mass immunisation, not sure at what cost because that would imply that 60% of the population would have to be infected (If i read that right). Still doesn't make the lockdown and instruction less crucial of course.

Jaeger
Baron von Scrapple

Post by Jaeger » Wed Mar 18, 2020 11:21 pm

DerGolgo wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 6:51 am
My pharmacist informed me today that reported cases of reinfection weren't. Reinfections.
Yeah, I've heard that speculation too. I hope that's the case -- and it jives with my understanding of how the immune system works. My only concern is how long one stays infectious after getting The Shit.

The flip side I've hard is that M was reading something earlier speculating that if you don't get a solid case of it your system may not build up enough immunity. Only time will tell.
xtian wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 12:26 pm
This just in. we're in for a 3 weeks lockdown. tomorrow was the day I had planned a good long first warm ride after 5 month of hysterical work and winter.
I was saying to M earlier that I hope to get a ride in this weekend. It's not like anybody's going to infect me while I'm kitted up inside my helmet doing 60mph.

At least y'all apparently still have your fries!
red wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 1:42 pm
I fully understand the reason for these limitations, it's just unnerving for it to be happening in real life.
You're old enough to remember 9/11. This feels kind've like that in slo-mo. I agree, though, it's fucking surreal.
red wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 6:11 am
...I'm in this shit for the long haul, not gonna let some fucking idiot infect me or my family.
Oh, agreed, though by pretty universal account you don't need to worry about the kiddos. That's at least some consolation. Not saying you shouldn't be paranoid, but... well, according to Darwin you've already done your part and "won." So long as they survive you're expendable. ;)
red wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 11:45 am
https://www-vox-com.cdn.ampproject.org/ ... nths-years

Buckle up.
We shall see, but China seems to be chilling out for a bit. That said, this is only Round 1. I expect this is going to be our (or our kids') taste of what it was growing up with polio.
xtian wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 9:50 pm
with the risk of sounding out of tune, Social distancing and lockdowns are less motivated by the risk that you could be infected and die, than an effort to slow down the spread of the virus, including across healthy carriers - kids, mostly - or carriers who would only develop small symptoms, ...
Yes, this. This isn't Armageddon. As Red said above, we're all in this for the long haul. It seems that the trick is to keep it away from anyone over the age of 60. Yes, there are folks younger than that dying of the goddamn thing, but statistically it's not nearly the problem.

Furthermore, if we stretch this viral bitch out long enough, it sounds like medical science (1) can deal with it, and (2) we might come up with a vaccine. Also, presumably once you've had it and hopefully build up an immunity it won't be as much of an issue.

The problem right now is that we're basically the Aztecs facing smallpox. Nobody's system has seen this particular bitch before so we're not prepared.

I'm not really worried about me or the Jaegerkinder, I'm worried about my folks. I would very, very much like to be able to hug my parents again without worrying about infecting them.

--Jaeger
Bigshankhank wrote:The world is a fucking wreck, but there is still sunshine in some places. Go outside and look for it.
<<NEUTIQUAM ERRO>>
2018 Indian Scout -- "Lilah"

motorpsycho67
Double-dip Diogenes

Post by motorpsycho67 » Thu Mar 19, 2020 4:22 am

Jaeger wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 9:47 pm

Perhaps deep down, everybody will now get an idea what it's like to ride a motorcycle. Sure, most of us ride without issue on most days, and it's business as usual. Then, one day you're out minding your own business, doing what you're supposed to do and POW you're fucked and you're dead... or not?

--Jaeger

From what I've read, the virus can't survive outside the body for more than three hours. So, unless someone sneezes in your face while you're riding, you're not going to get sick. Wherever you might stop is another matter, of course. Just be diligent about staying away from people while out and washing your hands religiously and you should be fine. A little forethought goes a long way.
'75 Honda CB400F
'82 Kawalski GPz750
etc.

red

Post by red » Thu Mar 19, 2020 5:11 am

Jaeger wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 11:21 pm
red wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 6:11 am
...I'm in this shit for the long haul, not gonna let some fucking idiot infect me or my family.
Oh, agreed, though by pretty universal account you don't need to worry about the kiddos. That's at least some consolation. Not saying you shouldn't be paranoid, but... well, according to Darwin you've already done your part and "won." So long as they survive you're expendable. ;)

--Jaeger
My oldest has some immune issues, over reaction rather than under, so it can be problematic in it's own right. So, kiddos stay away from everyone else.

I have to go to the hospital today (has my pharmacy inside), to pick up my regular rx. I'll report back what that process is like, no visitors, full screening.

DerGolgo
Zaphod's Zeitgeist

Post by DerGolgo » Thu Mar 19, 2020 6:34 am

motorpsycho67 wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 4:22 am
From what I've read, the virus can't survive outside the body for more than three hours.
Be very careful there. According to reports here, coronaviruses can remain active/infectious on inanimate surfaces for up to nine days. It may decompose or whatever it does to no longer be a threat within a few hours. But that's the best case scenario.

I've seen a number of sources state up to 9 days.
On medicalnewstoday.com, Tim Newman wrote:Human coronaviruses can remain infectious on inanimate surfaces at room temperature for up to 9 days. At a temperature of 30°C [86°F] or more, the duration of persistence is shorter.
Our ministry of health has put out an FAQ, in which they cite research from the Robert-Koch-Institute that apparently demonstrated the novel coronavirus to remain active on plastic and glass surfaces for up to six days.
I'm gonna go with 10 days myself, to have a reasonable safety margin.

The two-week quarantine recommendation that seems to be going around makes sense, in that a reservoir of virus on inanimate objects would have to be taken into consideration.

Merkel held a TV address last night. Holy fuck.
Show
This is unprecedented for her. She'd give a new-year's address. But everything else would be funneled through her press office.
So this is basically the most dramatic event during her tenure.
During her speech, she said "Since the reunification, no, since the second world war, there has been no challenge to our country in which solidarity and cooperation were so important."
I hate it when speechwriters make fake spontaneity like that "correction". But she's right. And what she said sounded sound, slowing the spread of the disease, flattening the curve, to make sure the healthcare sector won't be overwhelmed. Public life to be reduced to a minimum.

"The state will continue... we want to maintain as much economical activity as possible."
She lists a bunch of concrete steps. Critically, she describes that economic activity must take a backseat to the epidemic-slowing measures.
The language she uses there. "We want to..."
That's usually the sort of language she, or her press office, or her party, will use when they want to make greenies or civil-rights groups go away. "Yes, we want to reduce emissions, yes we want to make VW do the right thing..."
Note: she is using that wishy-washy fuck-off-plebs sort of language to describe how the government will try and preserve economic activity and assist the private sector.

She is basically declaring that the private sector can go fuck itself while the crisis persists.
She also talks a lot about how in a democracy, freedom of movement is vital, may not be restricted without dire need, and how she herself had so long fought for it (note: before the communist east german government began to implode, she was a functionary in the communist party youth organization (membership mandatory for kids... and the only reason she was in east germany in the first place was that her parents had fled there from the decadent west in the 1950s)).
The fact that she talks about freedom of movement in a democracy, besides public life, besides people not meeting friends or seeing loved ones. Her explicit declaration that such restrictions cannot be done in a democracy except for very dramatic reasons.
She is basically paving the way for/telegraphing a curfew, or suchlike measures.

The fact that she said these things, and not just through a press-release but in person, on camera, is what makes this terrifying. That is not the usual Merkel (nicknamed "Mutti"="mummy", the way that an adult would use the diminutive).
This is unprecedented crisis mode. I haven't been this apprehensive since the second plane hit the tower.
Okay. Just in time for curfew, a final grocery expedition. Last one for a while.
Show
I wanted to buy Schnitzel for days now, but kept forgetting, remembering only when I had already paid.
I mean, FFS. I'm potato. Schnitzel is basically my life partner!

Now, though, my apartment stinks like I tried distilling moonshine, and moonshine specifically formulated to make people go blind, and I've got the essentials. Potatoes, Schnitzel, and Pizza. Also plenty of soft-drinks and some junk food. But really, the Potatoes are what matters, the rest is just a bonus. I could eat well for a week or two with what I got here. With my recent experience in just not eating for days on end, I can do without shopping for a month.

Grocery store was oddly non-chaotic. Staff were shoving new goods on shelves in partly plundered areas.
The TP and paper-towel section, meanwhile, is now occupied by bottled water and rationed diapers. Not enough of either to properly fill the shelves, though.
Folding@Home has finally begun making use of my tactical nuclear GPU. And it's processing stuff for a Coronavirus related project, too!
According to the description, the project has maximum priority and must be executed on... the CPU.
I give up. I'll just let it do whatever.
No, I have no shame. I have a disinfectant and respirator stockpile, but no shame.
Show
When novel Coronavirus started hitting the news, and after Beau of the Fifth recommending stocking up while stuff is still available, I had ordered a box of fife FFP3 respirators, at a pre-pandemic price. Of these, by now, I gave two to my mum (by post, of course), and one to a friend, who passed it on to his own mum.
I had also bought some household disinfectant, spray and wipes, and put off getting a few brown bottles of isopropyl from my usual source, my pharmacy. Where they have an actual barrel of the stuff, for disinfectant use. When I finally inquired about it, they couldn't even get any for pharmacy-specific use, the wholesalers were out.

So I ordered isopropyl at the 100% pandemic markup from several different profiteers (redundancy, for "lost in transit" scenarios). Of the first shipment, I sent two bottles straight on to my mum, because she's a total miser with cleaning agents, and I have to somehow convince her she should use the stuff liberally.

And I ordered five more FFP3 respirators. At 200% pandemic markup.
Yes, respirators should be left for the people who need them, medical professionals or the immunocompromised. My own immune system has acted unpredictably at times in the past, I'm on a cereal bowl worth of daily pills that might have gawd knows what interactions, and I doubt medical professionals shop on ebay.

The final shipment of isopropyl had been scheduled for next week, while the respirators might arrive at any time between the last week of March and mid-April.
Well, if you don't prepare, you pay extra for waiting longer, still. That's the breaks, innit.

Except that it turns out profiteers have brilliant fulfillment processes. Both the isopropyl and the respirators arrived today (and while I wasn't at the grocery store, too).

So I've got enough to eat and drink, and to vape. If I must go out, or admit anything from the outside into my fortress of solitude, I'm (almost) all set for respirators and disinfectant. I'm slightly nervous about textiles. My jacket and pants in particular, since those come in contact with the seat on a bus, or with my wallet which, in turn, I must touch with unclean hands to pay for stuff. Double-gloved hands, but that only keeps my paws clean, not the wallet.
So right now, I'm trying to treat my outside threads, and wallet and keys, as contaminated, and trying to wear stuff that I haven't touched in more than 10 days.

Regarding double gloving: curiously, the XL sized latex gloves I got are no problem on my skin, I don't have to wear pall-bearer gloves underneath like I had to when I was in the service. Black nitril gloves are fine, too. Blue vinyl gloves I got a box of, meanwhile, they give me the red paws.
So if I want to use them vinyl gloves, I need a barrier to my skin in any case. So when I double-glove, it's also because of my allergies, and I can hence look down on and condemn the ignoramuses who touch stuff with their bare hands.
Yes, I'm not creating a threat by relying entirely on the gloves to do some magic, I still washing my paws for 40 seconds after I take the gloves off (20 seconds lather, 20 seconds rinse, energetic rubbing throughout), and after touching as-yet non-decontaminated objects.
Addendum:
As of today, March 19 2020, there are 13,000 confirmed cases of COVID-19 in Germany, and 31 deaths.
While the response is better than I had expected, it's not really as good as it could be. Our health minister is using his authority to ensure that poor people will find it difficult to get tested, so there may be a larger number of infected/infecting individuals who do not fit the specific criteria which, according to our asshole health minister, are necessary to justify free testing.

Silver lining: Friedrich Merz, the most neoliberal, most "conservative", most poor- and migrant-hating jackass in the top tier of that health-minister's party, the guy so far on the right, anybody to his right has quit the conservative party and joined the fascists. That jackass has been diagnosed with COVID-19.
I don't wish him to die, he's not important enough for that emotional commitment.
But DANG, conservative party. Karma is a bitch, isn't it.

boz
El Asbestos Pajamas

Post by boz » Thu Mar 19, 2020 8:18 am

Howdy, y'all. I'm in lower Manhattan where lock down is tightening like some goddamn Fortnite deathmatch, and already my friends in the service industry are feeling the pinch of days without a single penny added to their pockets.

It has been interesting to see restaurants fully convert operations to delivery and take-out and especially the bars that have opening up to-go booze – the city is essentially looking the other way a bit it seems.

I've been WFH since last Monday (captain's log Day 10.... the cats are still very chill.....boredom not yet maniacal but creeping in circus tendencies). I feel extremely fortunate to be able to do this even as some single schmuck with only cats for dependents. While doing some late night arts and crafts I discovered a P100 respirator in one of my tool bags. It's overkill (I'm not wearing this thing on the streets) but I guess it's comforting to know I could theoretically breath in a compromised room.

Anyway that's my personal New Yorker rant. I hope everyone's staying safe and well. I just watched Demolition Man for the first time and it was too fucking close to home - I'm been saying "Be well." to everyone lately and to see it plastered in that dystopian future made me cringe.
| | || ||
Earn your beer.
Aught aught Zrex Zelda.

DerGolgo
Zaphod's Zeitgeist

Post by DerGolgo » Thu Mar 19, 2020 9:26 am

Just heard the news. Worldwide, 50% of school-age children are not attending school.

20 hour traffic-jam on the boarders to Poland, commercial traffic. Private individuals trying to get across the border have to wait as much as 30 hours, the bleedin' red cross is on the scene, the Bundeswehr is feeding people stuck in the traffic jam.

No foreign citizens are allowed to fly into German airports, or sail into German ports. Even EU citizens are locked out, they may only fly in if they are catching a connecting flight to their home country.

Some individual towns in Bavaria have instituted 24h curfews. Outbreaks in connection to town-fairs that were held despite the Corona threat.

In my states, at least one town has a curfew, too. Like in Bavaria, a state-wide curfew is being considered.
My state has the highest number of confirmed cases, going on 5k.

A nation-wide curfew is in the cards, as I explained about Merkel's address.
France has had a nationwide curfew for two days now.

The federal ministry of health has somehow acquired 10 million respirators that will be distributed beginning tomorrow.

The Bundeswehr is spinning up to render assistance to civilian entities and communities. Reservists are being activated. Whether communities get Bundeswehr apparently doesn't relate to the number or concentration of cases. The single most afflicted town in my state is basically being ignored by the Bundeswehr.

Quick tests for the virus are apparently too unreliable to be useful, while the reliable "PCR" tests are so slow, the only facilities that are equipped for the reliable tests can only process ~160,000 tests per week. I assume that the swab that was taken from me, and was negative, was probably the unreliable quick-test.

Acute cases of COVID-19 average six to eight weeks in hospital, requiring extensive resources. But some assholes still haven't gotten the memo that they should avoid contact with other people, and they keep spreading it.

The government in my state is building a €25 billion bailout, beginning at tax forgiveness to cash assistance. Obviously, since my state is presently being governed by a coalition of the conservatives and the corporate-prostitutes, that bailout is pretty certainly going to big corporations that could weather the storm.

The federal government has announced a €40 billion bailout, cash.
The European Central Bank has announced they will buy bonds to the extent of €750 billion, to help countries finance the bailouts.

Most international borders have been closed. Where that can be enforced, anyways.

Just saw images from Italy. The army has to remove the corpses from the hospitals. A trek of 13 heavy trucks last night.

The government of Austrian Tirol has quarantined every single town and the whole region. Nobody is allowed to go anywhere except for medical stuff that cannot be handled where they are.

FFS.
When some asshole with a rifle was on a tower, people would be locking themselves in their basements.
But a lethal threat that's even greater, people can't get it in their heads to stay home and watch Netflix.

DerGolgo
Zaphod's Zeitgeist

Post by DerGolgo » Thu Mar 19, 2020 9:32 am

I have decided that today is a stiff drink of Scotch sort of day.

Bigshankhank

Post by Bigshankhank » Thu Mar 19, 2020 10:02 am

After travelling non-stop for the last 3 days, I am finally working from home and trying to get as much done as possible. Governor has finally closed public beaches and pissed off the businesses dependent upon them but things are tough everywhere. Also, Spring Break 2020 is effectively cancelled but again, nothing is stopping you from sunbathing on your hotel balcony while getting shitfaced on cheap beer and/or mixing up your own jello shots. Probably just going to be a lot less random fucking and more "dancing with the one who brung ya" as they say at hoe-downs.
It's time for Humankind to ditch the imaginary friends of our species' childhood and grow the fuck up.
-Davros

Always carry a bottle of whiskey when you travel in case of a snakebite. Futhermore, always carry a small snake.

Bigshankhank

Post by Bigshankhank » Thu Mar 19, 2020 10:10 am

Bigshankhank wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 10:02 am
After travelling non-stop for the last 3 days, I am finally working from home and trying to get as much done as possible. Governor has finally closed public beaches and pissed off the businesses dependent upon them but things are tough everywhere. Also, Spring Break 2020 is effectively cancelled but again, nothing is stopping you from sunbathing on your hotel balcony while getting shitfaced on cheap beer and/or mixing up your own jello shots. Probably just going to be a lot less random fucking and more "dancing with the one who brung ya" as they say at hoe-downs.
I stand sadly corrected, the Gov of Florida has NOT closed any beaches, but only banned "gatherings of more than 10 people" and let local jurisdictions handle the logistics. So, basically the cowards way out, which is not entirely surprising considering he is, while not an avowed MAGAt, he is aligned with them.
-Davros

DerGolgo
Zaphod's Zeitgeist

Post by DerGolgo » Thu Mar 19, 2020 10:29 am

The Bundeswehr is preparing to set up a field hospital in Berlin. Which is not nearly the worst affected area, but political connections.
Because of the travel bans, hotels are pretty much empty, and according to some government folk, a number of hotels have offered to serve as makeshift hospitals. Rooms in a bricks-and-mortar hotel being preferable to an army tent in a park.

guitargeek
Master Metric Necromancer

Post by guitargeek » Thu Mar 19, 2020 6:11 pm

Internal disinfectant.
IMG_20200319_210745.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Elitist, arrogant, intolerant, self-absorbed.
Midliferider wrote:Wish I could wipe this shit off my shoes but it's everywhere I walk. Dang.
Pattio wrote:Never forget, as you enjoy the high road of tolerance, that it is those of us doing the hard work of intolerance who make it possible for you to shine.
xtian wrote:Sticking feathers up your butt does not make you a chicken

xtian

Post by xtian » Fri Mar 20, 2020 12:39 am

the authorities have made clear that entertainment motorcyclist activities are forbidden. partly because of the obvious will to restrict travelling, mainly because of the inherently dangerous nature of the activity that could use vital medical resources needed to fight the virus. Cancelation of all comic conventions and sport competition is a serious blow to our activity but i am one of the fortunates who have been working in containment for years so no big deal. Things should restart in september. Less work meant I could spend some time building a new bathroom cabinet. I had to order screws online.... 5.27€ :/

DerGolgo
Zaphod's Zeitgeist

Post by DerGolgo » Fri Mar 20, 2020 1:00 am

In Leverkusen, as my radio alarm told me, the mayor issued a prohibition against anyone being in public in a "group" of two or more people. Only exception is when the two live together.

Apparently, just last night, police there had to break up a crowd of 70-100 people having a "Coronavirus-party". Which isn't actually a party held under hygiene-precautions to protect attendees from Coronavirus. Rather, it's just a piss up, held by fucking assholes who even got the memo, and not just don't care, but feel entitled to act against the hygiene rules.

The eugenics aspect of this pandemic is very uncomfortable. But it's getting slightly less uncomfortable with every day I see images like the convoy of over a dozen of army trucks necessary to remove the cadavers from a major hospital that just didn't have the room to store any more.
Why the fucking FUCK is it so fucking hard for people to comprehend, and for some to even just care about that they don't just endanger themselves, but endanger the vulnerable members of society?
Unnerving experience at the doctor's office.
Show
Had to get my blood drawn today, for my quarterly checkup. I got going late, arrived at the doctor's office at 7:30, for opening at 8. Normally, I'd have been third or fourth in line at that point, since the joint practice there has first come, first served, no appointment hours every morning. Very fucking rare, and particularly rare for any specialized physicians (neuropsychology and pain management in this case). The line has, on some occasions in the past, would stretch ~60 feet to the nearest intersection, and around the corner there.
I was first in line today. And by the time the door was opened (no more than two people to enter at once), there were a total of five people waiting, two of whom were together (mother and daughter), and they and at least one other person waiting were there just to get blood drawn, not even to see a doctor.
I've been treated by that doctor for 8 years now and, at times, when we had to adjust some new medication, I was there multiple times in a week for the no-appointment hours. Never was that empty. Never.

Sliver lining: learning experience: I suggested that, rather than me taking off my jacked and getting my arm out of my hoodie, it might be more hygienic if the nurse just stuck one of the more prominent veins on the back of my hand. Worked like a charm.
And having been on blood thinners for over a month (100mg Aspirin, really entry-level stuff, just a precaution because of a weird symptom that has yet to be properly explained), it was a good thing I pulled my latex glove back over my hand afterwards (had only moved it forward to reveal the back of my hand, so I wasn't messing up sterile and contaminated surfaces). Because without the glove, I'd have left a trail of blood from the doctor's office to my apartment. It wasn't exactly gushing, but I've often had blood taken from the back of my hand, and never had the little pad they tape over it been oversaturated with blood.
Would have been... interesting if I had been on the tram, dripping blood, and someone had noticed.

DerGolgo
Zaphod's Zeitgeist

Post by DerGolgo » Fri Mar 20, 2020 4:05 am

Just watching the news channel.
The Bavarian governor describes young people who don't just have "Coronavirus parties", but will approach elderly people in public, intentionally cough in the old persons' faces, and yell "Corona!". FFS.
At least they are doing stuff
Show
And he just announced. Beginning at midnight tonight, for at least two weeks, there will be "extensive measures". Public everything is being shut down. But of course, everybody can still go to work. Employers should please make sure employees have a minimum distance between one another, if they cannot telecommute.
ALL barbers and ALL hospitality locations in the state must close (except takeout, drive-in, or delivery services). I guess people who work there will be exempt from "everyone can still go to work".
People may not gather in any sort of groups in public. Police >will< enforce. Four-digit penalties.
Visits to residents at old folks homes are prohibited, with just deathbed visits as an exception.
Visits to hospital patients are prohibited, except for deathbed cases, children, and a third I didn't catch.
I'm quite frankly pretty fucking furious right now that in my state, which is the single worst hit in Germany, the measures that even the incest-kids can come up with aren't being implemented here.
Bailouts that don't serve big corporations alone are yet another thing that scares me
Show
Apparently, all the bailouts that are being set up will really be aimed first at small businesses and the self-employed.
That >the Bavarians< are missing an opportunity to funnel tax revenue to big businesses tells me how serious this is.

Since bus-drivers cannot presently sell tickets, can't even inspect tickets, and rounding up fare-dodgers is right out, the companies operating buses for public transit (many buses are run by contractors, rather than a municipal transit company) had already begun falling off of a financial cliff. A €130 million bailout, cash, was fired out by the state government today.
My state's minister of justice has described the Coronavirus as "dynamic". Could it be that the "ambitious" crowd, the people who have a whole dictionary that they will use instead of actually doing stuff, have gotten the memo?
People who don't have an appointment will no longer be permitted to enter courthouses, any trials that can be postponed will be postponed.

Just zapped to the BBC. Healthcare system in Iran is crumbling. They just showed a doctor who kept working even when she already had an IV in her own arm. She died.

DerGolgo
Zaphod's Zeitgeist

Post by DerGolgo » Fri Mar 20, 2020 12:08 pm

News reported that three compounds are being investigated to treat the infection, or at least provide post-exposure prophylaxis.
University of Minnesota managed to put together a cohort of 1,500 people, to try out an Ebola medication that doesn't work on Ebola, and an HIV medication that is really hard to get a hold of.

The 3rd is fucking Chloroquine.
Which I'm sure I first learned about on MASH. It's a Malaria drug from the middle of the last century.
That stuff is a bit of a wonder drug. Besides treating Malaria, it does a bunch of things.
Show
I think it's also what my father got when he developed the disorder I, too, got in my 20s, where the body explodes the tissue of mucous membranes by stuffing them with white blood cells. When it became my turn, I got something else (that came with the same warnings and counter-indications as thalidomide...).
And Chloroquine used to treat Lupus, too.
So... Go Gophers?

DerGolgo
Zaphod's Zeitgeist

Post by DerGolgo » Fri Mar 20, 2020 12:54 pm

The news just reported that, as of today, in Italy (the north of which has one of the best medical infrastructures in all of Europe), the mortality rate is at 10%. One in ten confirmed infections results in death.

The high estimates for the global average mortality rate of the Spanish Flu is 5%.

Bigshankhank

Post by Bigshankhank » Fri Mar 20, 2020 5:09 pm

Gotta love it.

As for me, I am marathon-ing all of the Terminator films. We saw “Dark Fate” the other day and were pretty happy with it. We are currently on #3 and considering how good T2 was, I can only assume it is a linear progression of improvement from here to the most recent film. Looking forward to it!
-Davros