Update, 2020/12/01
Please see announcement in Forum Stuff for details.

SECURITY ADVISORY!
Today, 2020/11/18, suspicions have been expressed that there has been a data breach.
At least some DisMembers' login data may have been compromised.
While the facts behind those suspicions have not yet been established, your Administerrerr is treating them as credible. He is looking into this. He will try and beef up security.
Even if you did so only recently:
Please change your password!
Please click here, or use the menu ( button) to navigate to the the User Control Panel, therein to the Profile Tab, and there click Edit Account Settings. You should get it from there on.
For a safe password that will resist brute-force attempts (which we have been subject to in the past), please use upper and lower case letters, AND numerals, AND symbols, and make it as long as you feel feasible. 16 characters seems to be recommended these days.
DO NOT use a password you also use elsewhere.
While your Administerrerr tries to keep this place safe. Get real. Security here is mostly by obscurity, that is, no one serious enough to crack us like a rotten egg is likely to even bother. But if one does, you don't want the safety of your email of facebook or whatever to depend on one mostly blind, mostly clueless autodidact who can't work at this more than a few hours at a time, if that much.

If you used a password here that you also used elsewhere, you must set a new password there, also!
A different password, this time. If someone did breach us, the first thing they are likely to do with your login credentials is to try them out elsewhere. Login credentials compromised here are compromised everywhere else, also. If you did reuse a password, but with a different email, your administerrerrerr strongly urges you NOT rely on that different email keeping you safe. This whole thing runs on a database. That means your half-blind administerrerrerr can operate a database. Do you honestly think identity thieves, and those who sell them passwords by the ten-thousands, won't?
If you get an error message about an invalid form, click here.
Show
Every form you can debauch is on a time limit. Even if you feel you've been reasonably quick, some browsers seem to think otherwise.
Recommendation: type your password in something like a text editor or word processor, highlight (making sure not to highlight any leading or trailing spaces), copy, then reload the account settings page, paste, paste, debauch, and be all quick about it. Like Dan said, back in the when. Be like the housefly, and see the events of the world unfold in liquid slowness, or something to that effect.
If you cannot reset a forgotten password, click here.
Show
The "I forgot my password" function has been buggy for a while, I apologize. I will look into that, also, over the next few days.
UPDATE: I have looked into this. I think it should work now, but I can't test it all with my admin accounts. Anyone who tries it, please do let me know whether it works or not.
You yourself, meanwhile, might look into your SPAM folder. I know, I know, but humor me, please.
Also, if you have been around for a bit, try and remember whether the email you entered there was also the email you registered with back in the when. I'm sure the email addresses associated to some user-accounts are still hotmail.
If none of that solves your confound, hit me through the contact form, or grab me via dm on the Facebooks, or if none of that works, speak up in the Midget Circus. I will look out for you there, but I can't guarantee nothing.

Akira - The Movie

Discussion for the Akira Powerbike Page.
Bigshankhank
Fully Autonomous Cock-Puncher

Akira - The Movie

Post by Bigshankhank » Sun Mar 16, 2014 11:33 am

Just watched this for the first time in twenty years last night. Still totally unclear what the fuck it was all about.

It's time for Humankind to ditch the imaginary friends of our species' childhood and grow the fuck up.
-Davros

"Lasse mich deine Seele dem Herrscher der Finsternis opfern"

Let me sacrifice your soul to the ruler of darkness

Always carry a bottle of whiskey when you travel in case of a snakebite. Futhermore, always carry a small snake.

mtne
Holy DAG Master

Re: Akira - The Movie

Post by mtne » Sun Mar 16, 2014 11:46 am

Reflect on Japan post war socio-political relations and watch again or thrice.
How can it be fun if there's not at least an outside chance of dying?
07' KTM 950 SE
08' Husky TE610 - Everything a KLR wants to be...
Yeah I'm a Bike Slut in remission
SmugMug pictures here, Save $5 when you join SmugMug by using this coupon zu0heHHhx9sjM
http://www.bikeshareworld.com

Bo_9
Ayatollah of Mayhem
Location: Filthy little worn-out, broken down, see through soul.

Post by Bo_9 » Wed Mar 19, 2014 6:41 am

When I first watched it (a long, long time ago) I didn't really "get" it but really liked it for some reason. It took about three times before it all sunk in.
Still watch it at least once every few months.
When an old man dies a library burns...

"Every accident involving machinery begins with a single defect. Never forget that defect can be between your ears." - E.J. Potter
"I feel like i'm in "my little pony" HELL!!!!" -Goose
"Well, he never ever smiled, but he always seemed pleased."
"Just one bad day..."

Metalredneck
Largely Uncontroversial

Post by Metalredneck » Sat Mar 22, 2014 11:17 am

I got my son the anniversary edition for Xmas. May have to watch that tonight.
Done.

DerGolgo
Zaphod's Zeitgeist

Post by DerGolgo » Sat Mar 22, 2014 12:40 pm

My first encounter with Akira was when my father bought one of the phone-book sized manga editions. Some issue from right in the middle of the series. I had managed to drag him into a comic book store, I was about 13 or so, I got myself Give me Liberty by Miller and Gibbons (according to my parents: hey, it's just a picture story, it's for kids ... ), my father chose that moment to freshen up the little bit of Japanese he had once learned and hadn't used in a decade at that point.
I looked at the pictures and, even after I had figured out that I had to read it back to front, even without any ability to even recognize a single character, I realized I was looking at some fucked up shit right there. I think it was in the later part of the series, Neo Tokyo was in ruins already and the gang of Mutants had either established some kind of fiefdom, or Tetsuo had done that and had enslaved them. Pretty sure I remember him being there. They went and fucked up a huge-ass Soviet aircraft carrier, if I recall.

So when I found out there was a movie, I was like "I have no clue what this is about, but I think I want to see that!"
Then I saw it, in a store someplace. Available only on double-VHS. You could make animated movies so long, they wouldn't fit on a single tape? Oh, boy, I definitely wanted to watch that.
Eventually, the single-VHS edition ended up in our local video store.
I think I must have rented it out and watched it a half dozen times, just on VHS from that store.
I don't think the idea of any philosophical message, moral of the story or, well, anything, really registered. It was, literally, the first bit of anime I ever saw. Until that point, for me, animated movies were, well, Disney. Or Looney Tunes. Maybe the odd French effort, like Lucky Luke or Asterix. But, you know, cutely-drawn kid's stuff.
But this movie ... an animated movie made for adults! On adult themes, for an adult audience, drawn for the aesthetic sensibilities of adults, not for kids. There was just so much ... what happens to Tetsuo towards the end, in the stadium, that's what it felt like happened to my Brain. The sheer amount of eye candy and futuristic concepts knocked me off of my feet. And then kicked me while I was down. And then spat in my face. And I asked for more!

Come to think of it, I haven't seen it in years, and I haven't yet picked what I'd fill the rest of the evening with so ... this is as good as anything, isn't it!
If there were absolutely anything to be afraid of, don't you think I would have worn pants?

I said I have a big stick.

Bo_9
Ayatollah of Mayhem
Location: Filthy little worn-out, broken down, see through soul.

Post by Bo_9 » Tue Mar 25, 2014 4:27 am

Yeah, noone really understood at my house why there are "cartoons" on the grown up side of the shelf until they actually watch one and realize it is not really a "cartoon".
I think the first I saw was Ninja Scroll, then Akira, Lain, all the Ghost in the Shell, Some other Cyborg female cop I can't recall. then Cowboy Bebop.
Now I'll watch whatever looks interesting on Netflix, last was Attack on Titan ,start to finish in three sessions.
When an old man dies a library burns...

"Every accident involving machinery begins with a single defect. Never forget that defect can be between your ears." - E.J. Potter
"I feel like i'm in "my little pony" HELL!!!!" -Goose
"Well, he never ever smiled, but he always seemed pleased."
"Just one bad day..."

DerGolgo
Zaphod's Zeitgeist

Post by DerGolgo » Tue Mar 25, 2014 11:52 am

Oh, this brings back memories ... back in the day, certain private TV stations would buy all manner of films as part of package deals. Which they had to air, somehow. So those got dumped in the way-past midnight slot on a Friday night. A lot of Woody Allen. And a LOT of anime. Almost every Friday night, some weird, off-kilter bit of Anime ... I was usually drunk, which I severely regret, now, since I barely remember anything. But that was where I saw Wings of Honneamise and the first Ghost in the Shell, I think. And those were the tame, harmless things.
On top of which, the only commercial interruptions would be a minute long or so, 0900 numbers advertised by, well, nekkid ladies.
Sometimes, I miss the 90s ...
If there were absolutely anything to be afraid of, don't you think I would have worn pants?

I said I have a big stick.

Bigshankhank

Post by Bigshankhank » Thu Mar 27, 2014 6:06 am

Honestly I never really got into anime, but I found a copy of Heavy Metal back when it first hit the video market and was amazed that a "cartoon" could be used to deal with dark, adult topics like death, betrayal & sex. Oh yeah, and huge boobs. In college I watched some anime stuff, Fist of the North Star (Hotoroken in Japan iirc) is the only one that comes to mind, plus a few episodes of some serial TV show.
It's time for Humankind to ditch the imaginary friends of our species' childhood and grow the fuck up.
-Davros

Always carry a bottle of whiskey when you travel in case of a snakebite. Futhermore, always carry a small snake.

Metalredneck
Largely Uncontroversial

Post by Metalredneck » Fri Mar 28, 2014 5:04 pm

Cowboy Bebop is still a fave. Full Metal Alchemist is a staple in our house.
Done.

Bigshankhank

Post by Bigshankhank » Fri Mar 28, 2014 5:53 pm

Metalredneck wrote: Full Metal Alchemist is a staple in our house.
Shit, my wife, son and one daughter all have blood seal tattoos. We even named our dog Alphonse.
-Davros