Update, 2020/12/01
Please see announcement in Forum Stuff for details.

SECURITY ADVISORY!
Today, 2020/11/18, suspicions have been expressed that there has been a data breach.
At least some DisMembers' login data may have been compromised.
While the facts behind those suspicions have not yet been established, your Administerrerr is treating them as credible. He is looking into this. He will try and beef up security.
Even if you did so only recently:
Please change your password!
Please click here, or use the menu ( button) to navigate to the the User Control Panel, therein to the Profile Tab, and there click Edit Account Settings. You should get it from there on.
For a safe password that will resist brute-force attempts (which we have been subject to in the past), please use upper and lower case letters, AND numerals, AND symbols, and make it as long as you feel feasible. 16 characters seems to be recommended these days.
DO NOT use a password you also use elsewhere.
While your Administerrerr tries to keep this place safe. Get real. Security here is mostly by obscurity, that is, no one serious enough to crack us like a rotten egg is likely to even bother. But if one does, you don't want the safety of your email of facebook or whatever to depend on one mostly blind, mostly clueless autodidact who can't work at this more than a few hours at a time, if that much.

If you used a password here that you also used elsewhere, you must set a new password there, also!
A different password, this time. If someone did breach us, the first thing they are likely to do with your login credentials is to try them out elsewhere. Login credentials compromised here are compromised everywhere else, also. If you did reuse a password, but with a different email, your administerrerrerr strongly urges you NOT rely on that different email keeping you safe. This whole thing runs on a database. That means your half-blind administerrerrerr can operate a database. Do you honestly think identity thieves, and those who sell them passwords by the ten-thousands, won't?
If you get an error message about an invalid form, click here.
Show
Every form you can debauch is on a time limit. Even if you feel you've been reasonably quick, some browsers seem to think otherwise.
Recommendation: type your password in something like a text editor or word processor, highlight (making sure not to highlight any leading or trailing spaces), copy, then reload the account settings page, paste, paste, debauch, and be all quick about it. Like Dan said, back in the when. Be like the housefly, and see the events of the world unfold in liquid slowness, or something to that effect.
If you cannot reset a forgotten password, click here.
Show
The "I forgot my password" function has been buggy for a while, I apologize. I will look into that, also, over the next few days.
UPDATE: I have looked into this. I think it should work now, but I can't test it all with my admin accounts. Anyone who tries it, please do let me know whether it works or not.
You yourself, meanwhile, might look into your SPAM folder. I know, I know, but humor me, please.
Also, if you have been around for a bit, try and remember whether the email you entered there was also the email you registered with back in the when. I'm sure the email addresses associated to some user-accounts are still hotmail.
If none of that solves your confound, hit me through the contact form, or grab me via dm on the Facebooks, or if none of that works, speak up in the Midget Circus. I will look out for you there, but I can't guarantee nothing.

Project Bike Thread: 81 GS650GL & 87 CBR600F

Articles, Essays, Reviews, Road Diaries, and your chance go Gonzo with your own weekly column. Be sure to read the FAQ before posting an article.
red
Yap. Doomed for all eternity.

Re: Project Bike Thread: 81 GS650GL & 87 CBR600F

Post by red » Fri Dec 27, 2019 7:18 pm

Bigshankhank wrote:Nice! Does this one wander the house in the middle of the night doing security checks on strangers trying to sleep on the couch? Lol.

Does that dog have heeler in him? Looks like it.
Not sure, don't have many sleepovers these days.

He mostly lays on our bed and gets pet. We were told he is a Red Heeler mix, thinking maybe a pit as well due to the boxy head. Regardless, he's a great dawg.

Proud Survivor From Thread Hole 64 Campaign
1987 CBR600F Hurricane Sprawl Bike
-=High Tech / Low Life=-

red

Post by red » Wed Feb 19, 2020 12:51 pm

Great news! The CBR is 100% complete and road worthy.

No, wait.

It's cocooned behind a wall of junk from various winter projects and other crap. I suppose it will hatch out this spring once I have some PTO saved up to use for wrenching time.
-=High Tech / Low Life=-

Bigshankhank
Fully Autonomous Cock-Puncher

Post by Bigshankhank » Wed Feb 19, 2020 4:14 pm

I believe in you!
It's time for Humankind to ditch the imaginary friends of our species' childhood and grow the fuck up.
-Davros

"Lasse mich deine Seele dem Herrscher der Finsternis opfern"

Let me sacrifice your soul to the ruler of darkness

Always carry a bottle of whiskey when you travel in case of a snakebite. Futhermore, always carry a small snake.

Aggroton
Chuck Asap

Post by Aggroton » Thu Feb 20, 2020 8:10 am

thats a sweet bike.

red

Post by red » Sun Feb 23, 2020 7:51 pm

I had a few hours to myself today and thought briefly about taking the carbs and all the associated supplies to my cube at work and finishing them. However, I decided to go play arcade games for 3.5 hours and it was worth it.
-=High Tech / Low Life=-

red

Post by red » Fri Apr 10, 2020 10:18 am

Well, here I am, stuck at home. WFH full time now but haven't laid a finger on the ol' hurrycane. The days are getting nicer and thank fully my work is starting to wind down a bit. It's been all over the place and over the weekends too. I managed to clean part of the mess away, so I can at least see my bike now.

Once the weather warms up a bit, I'm gonna spend a day getting my crap all organized again. I plan on completely rearranging it so I can park my SUV in there over the nasty months. Got real tired of scraping windows this past winter.
-=High Tech / Low Life=-

Bigshankhank

Post by Bigshankhank » Sun Apr 12, 2020 5:10 am

I believe in you red, you got this.
It's time for Humankind to ditch the imaginary friends of our species' childhood and grow the fuck up.
-Davros

Always carry a bottle of whiskey when you travel in case of a snakebite. Futhermore, always carry a small snake.

red

Post by red » Mon Apr 20, 2020 5:21 am

So, it finally happened.

I finally got time, no, finally made time to put hands to the carbs. A quick refresher, the carbs were cleaned and rebuilt but suffered severe leaks at the fuel T. I replaced those o-rings and then the bowls leaked. With new bowl gaskets in, I decided to just bite the bullet and replace the remaining 33 year old o-rings for the fuel overflow and the mystery silver tubes (vacuum?) while I had the carbs off again. This was all late last summer.

With the kids having quiet time and my wife doing the same, I seized the moment and grabbed the the carbs and needed tools. I've never broken a part a bank of 4 carbs and I have heard horror stories and seen first hand, the frustration this can cause when my buddy rebuilt his CB750 bank. I laid out some cardboard, took a deep breath, found my moment of zen, and got to work.
broke_the_bank.jpg
There is so much linkage, so many tiny springs.
trippple.jpg
I removed the choke linkage and did my best to keep the two middle carbs in place. I was able to replace the o-rings on the mystery silver tube but the o-rings on the overflow port were still pliable and in relatively good condition. When I replaced the o-rings on the fuel T, I bent one of the tiny throttle assembly springs, so I had to do my best to replace it with one from a set of donor carbs I received. It wasn't much fun.
tiny_spring_madness.jpg
I got the bank all back together and thought, "That wasn't so bad." Queue suspenseful music... I found a spring that got left over. Dammit.
so_many_springs.jpg
Eventually, everything was reassembled with no extra parts remaining.
all_done.jpg
BSH recommended placing the carbs output side down on a sheet of glass and using the level surface when tightening down the mounts. Worked liked a charm!

Now, to put them back on the PVC rack and hook up the test tank to check for leaks. Maybe that will happen next weekend.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-=High Tech / Low Life=-

Bigshankhank

Post by Bigshankhank » Mon Apr 20, 2020 9:44 am

More Jangleplatz than mortal man deserves! So happy to see some progress.
-Davros

red

Post by red » Sun Apr 26, 2020 5:46 pm

Huzzah!

With the kiddos home 24/7, we made some layout changes in the house. So, I had to make room in the garage for some kids stuff; in turn I got to clean up the garage. Now, I have room and most of my shit has been put away. I'll post a pic tomorrow for proof.
IMG_20200426_160522.jpg
There is still a lot of chaos to deal with, under bench, over bench, tool box and etc. Just outside of the frame is a mess of boxes and storage tubs that I need to deal with.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-=High Tech / Low Life=-

red

Post by red » Tue May 05, 2020 7:19 am

Well, the carbs are pouring gas out of the overflow tubes. So, the overpriced Honda o-rings are on their way, and the float levels have been double checked. Gonna name this bike Leaky.
-=High Tech / Low Life=-

Bigshankhank

Post by Bigshankhank » Tue May 05, 2020 8:34 am

That sucks man, normally o-rings are o-rings.
-Davros

red

Post by red » Tue May 05, 2020 9:52 am

Bigshankhank wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 8:34 am
That sucks man, normally o-rings are o-rings.
Oh not with these carbs, apparently. These are fancy pants low profile o-rings, to the tune of $30 for both carbs.
-=High Tech / Low Life=-

red

Post by red » Mon May 11, 2020 12:17 pm

I've started plotting out what I'm going to use for lighting, beyond the idea of full LED. Originally, I planned on using the stock
taillight and assembly but changed my mind. So, here's my plan:

Headlight:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07L4BLCNK/?c ... _lig_dp_it

Taillight:
https://www.harborfreight.com/6-in-subm ... tail+light

Signals (maybe not these exact ones):
https://www.ebay.com/itm/2x-Universal-M ... SwLBFc8kxa

Third Brake Light mounted on my top case:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01GJGCR9U/?c ... _lig_dp_it

The gauge cluster is a combo unit:
https://www.dimecitycycles.com/chrome-a ... meter.html

But I'll be controlling the back light with this:
https://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinf ... foQAvD_BwE

On my XJ, I used an LED backlit "cafe" gauge and it was so bright at night that I could see the reflection of my eyes on the inside of my helmet shield. Kind unnerving to ride at night with your own eyes staring back at you. This fancy little gizmo should resolve that issue; as long as it doesn't malfunction and start flashing at a hypnotic rate.

All the mounts will need to be fabricated, mostly just bent sheet metal rattle caned black or maybe wrapped in yellow/black safety tape.

The seat will be upholstered in some sort of awning or marine grade cloth. The tank will either be the funky sticker bomb plan or maybe custom painted by a my friend who's done some murals around town.

I've got a plan, and it's starting to come together. The Mrs and I worked out a plan where I get an hour or two in the garage on Sundays. My oldest said she wants to start helping as well.
-=High Tech / Low Life=-

red

Post by red » Wed May 20, 2020 5:43 pm

Good news everyone! My o-rings have finally shipped!

Got about 30 min of garage time w/the oldest on Sunday, she helped me remove the seat and the tail light assembly. I gave her the job of removing all nuts and bolts, then putting them back together so they don't get lost. She's excited to assist this weekend. We'll probably tackle the missing chain tensioner on the swing arm and check the chain condition while it's on the stand. Still need to figure out how I'm going to secure the bike for the fork rebuild. My old garage had eyelets in the rafters. I don't think I'll have access to the top of the rafter due to the 2nd floor above the garage.
I'll have to figure something out.
-=High Tech / Low Life=-

red

Post by red » Thu May 28, 2020 4:36 pm

I got the carbs broken down, o-rings replaced, carb bank rebuilt and then installed. I decided to roll the dice and not leak test on the rack. Hopefully the moto-gods will smile upon me. I inspected the front and rear sprockets, both look great (I need to count the teeth though, to make sure they aren't some stunter bullshit). However, when I counted the links for the chain, it came up short, really short. Which explains why the tensioners are both so close, uh, proximal? Then, as an added bonus, I noticed a dent in the tensioner window and that tensioner may be stuck. Which could be why the chain is so short. Fuck it, I'm gonna cut that chain off (it's damn near brand new), hammer out that dent and replace the missing tensioner plate on the right side. This bike has had a hard life previously, and it shows.

Upon revisiting my never ending to-do list, I started stripping out mods and things I can do without, or on the cheap. One of those is the gauge cluster. Instead of dropping almost $200, I'm going to re-porpoise a rugged Android phone running the Ulysses Speedometer App. I'll need to do separate gauges for the tach and temp but those can be added later. Probably the Trail Tech TTO gauges. The app is pretty damn cool, and has tons of features that are worth the money if you spring for the Pro version. Here's what my speedometer will look like:
Screenshot_20200528-114540.png
-=High Tech / Low Life=-

red

Post by red » Sat May 30, 2020 3:03 pm

Counted again, 54 side plates = 108 links. 2 short. The sprockets are the stock size, thankfully. Decided to buy a swingarm off of eBay. Should be here in a week or so.
-=High Tech / Low Life=-

red

Post by red » Sun May 31, 2020 5:41 pm

Holy shit! A miracle of miracles, or another sign of the apocalypse, either way, my bike fucking runs!

Not only does it run, I rode it around my 'hood. 100% dirty, no plates, no lights of any type and no gauges. In true squid fashion, I wore a helmet and gloves but no other riding gear. Damn that pipe is loud. The engine ran well, but I need to balance the carbs, then it's on to all the other work.

101819525_10157044080987657_2561736542234083328_o.jpg
One area of concern is the fuse block, it's currently zip-tied to the left side of the frame and exposed to the elements. Should I rig up some sort of weatherproof housing for it? All my other bikes had the block under the seat .

I still need to go to the BMV and get the title sorted out.
-=High Tech / Low Life=-

xtian
Le coureur de lames chasse Tinti...

Post by xtian » Sun May 31, 2020 10:27 pm

I like how Youtube's suggestions after you video include J.S.Bach, Mozart and barber. "because you watched damn that pipe is loud".
Congrats on the running bike.
I'm not really from around here.

red

Post by red » Mon Jun 01, 2020 5:03 am

xtian wrote:
Sun May 31, 2020 10:27 pm
I like how Youtube's suggestions after you video include J.S.Bach, Mozart and barber. "because you watched damn that pipe is loud".
Congrats on the running bike.
Beautiful music and screaming motorcycles go hand in hand.
-=High Tech / Low Life=-

Bigshankhank

Post by Bigshankhank » Mon Jun 01, 2020 5:49 am

This may be silly, but could you get like a small kid's pencil box (do kids still need pencils in school?) and install the fuse block within that? They typically have a crude latch on their lids so there would be at least a modicum of weather protection.
-Davros

red

Post by red » Mon Jun 01, 2020 8:00 am

Bigshankhank wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 5:49 am
This may be silly, but could you get like a small kid's pencil box (do kids still need pencils in school?) and install the fuse block within that? They typically have a crude latch on their lids so there would be at least a modicum of weather protection.
Hmmm.... good idea. I have some plastic boxes from things like construction screws I should be able to repurpose. I wasn't sure how weatherproof
it needed to be. I guess basic rain/splash protection should be enough?
-=High Tech / Low Life=-

xtian
Le coureur de lames chasse Tinti...

Post by xtian » Mon Jun 01, 2020 8:13 am

don't trust me for anything mechanical, but when I installed twin headlights on my rat rex, we used an electric what-you-call-it waterproof junction box and zip ties for the electric connections.
I'm not really from around here.

Bigshankhank

Post by Bigshankhank » Mon Jun 01, 2020 10:14 am

red wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 8:00 am

Hmmm.... good idea. I have some plastic boxes from things like construction screws I should be able to repurpose. I wasn't sure how weatherproof
That's brilliant, something like this perhaps? I've used these screws, and the latch on them is a pain in the dick, very secure.
-Davros

red

Post by red » Mon Jun 01, 2020 10:35 am

Bigshankhank wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 10:14 am
red wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 8:00 am

That's brilliant, something like this perhaps? I've used these screws, and the latch on them is a pain in the dick, very secure.

Your image no worky.
-=High Tech / Low Life=-

Bigshankhank

Post by Bigshankhank » Mon Jun 01, 2020 12:41 pm

Which is an interesting statement because my image worky even in your quoted message telling me my image no worky.
-Davros

DerGolgo
Zaphod's Zeitgeist

Post by DerGolgo » Mon Jun 01, 2020 2:05 pm

Bigshankhank wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 12:41 pm
Which is an interesting statement because my image worky even in your quoted message telling me my image no worky.
Well, if you posted it, it would show. Because your computer cached it. Or because the server gave you a delicious cookie, and when your device loads the page and comes to loading the image, it gives the cookie back to the image server. Which is a disturbing image all on its own.

I, too, cannot see anything beyond a blue placeholder thingy.

Pro tip: some browsers (I know it's a a thing in Firefox, and in Waterfox) let you choose to open a private tab or private window, and load websites therein. And no cookies that are requested are handed over, new session IDs are established, etc., etc.
Basically masquerading as "random internet user". If you are unsure about the visibility of an image, use that feature to check it, without resorting to your cache, your cookies, nor your cache of cookies.
If there were absolutely anything to be afraid of, don't you think I would have worn pants?

I said I have a big stick.

red

Post by red » Tue Jun 02, 2020 12:17 pm

Picked up a 12" philips screw driver and I'm waiting on my little digital tach to arrive so I can set the idle ( I think it's pretty damn close, by ear) and balance the carbs. I found better instructions on how to use the fancy CarbMate for balancing, should be interesting.

Also, I'm a postwhore, I guess. Does that mean I've given up my whoring ways or that I'm about spreading my posts around the board?
-=High Tech / Low Life=-

Bigshankhank

Post by Bigshankhank » Tue Jun 02, 2020 1:52 pm

Oh you're giving it up for everyone is what it means.
So what's the tag sitch? When can you ride it legally, (at least in the daytime)?
-Davros

red

Post by red » Tue Jun 02, 2020 6:40 pm

I have the title, signed over to me but my cousin did a poor job writing the price and the BMV made me get a second form filled out. Because it looked like I modified it. Now, they're all by appointment only and I haven't went yet. But I'll be legal once that's done. Hell it's been insured since last year.

I know Do0M 2020 won't happen for me but 2021 should be doable, assuming we haven't gone into full apocalypse mode.
-=High Tech / Low Life=-